The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

+43
RuggerRadge2611
doctornickolas
TJ1
RubyGuby
king_carlos
wales606
maestegmafia
geoff998rugby
Chunky Norwich
eirebilly
The Great Aukster
doctor_grey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Submachine
Cadair Idris
rhino-dragon
Taffineastbourne
wonder_man
Newsilure
killer938
beshocked
ChequeredJersey
Feckless Rogue
formerly known as Sam
thebluesmancometh
Comfort
Biltong
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ultra
majesticimperialman
IanBru
RDW
Standulstermen
Glas a du
Knowsit17
SecretFly
dogtooth
Rory_Gallagher
TycroesOsprey
bsando
GavinDragon
47 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures Empty Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by GavinDragon Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:06 pm

this is my lions team after watching the games, many irish players probably miss out due to them having played italy...

15. Hogg
14. any of them
13. Tuilagi
12. morrison d'arcy
11. North
10. Farrell
9. Blair

8. Denton
7. Warburton (Rennie very close to him)
6. Lydiate
5. Gray (PoC very close)
4. Botha/Parling/Hamilton
3. Jones (with cole very close)
2. Ford
1. Jenkins

ive picked based on the numbers theyve played with the exception of gray as there is very little difference postionally between 4 and 5...so at 12 roberts and baritt seemd quiet in comparison with the other two

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures Empty Re: Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by bsando Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:08 pm

That'd be my pick too. Spot on GavinDragon!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures Empty Re: Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by 123456789 Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:10 pm

Morrison- are you joking?

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:10 pm

purely on todays performance over the other 12's yes, as an overall pick of who i think is best no

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:23 pm

Cole are you serious? did you see the English scrum get munched?

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:24 pm

Ferris has to be the 6 for me. He was absolutely fantastic for Ireland.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:25 pm

not blair. phillips surely
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:26 pm

cole didnt get mullered corbisero did i'm a front row forward and know when a scrum is going backward who is at fault...plus ive put adam ahaead of him....i just said it was very close because cole did so much work on the floor slowing our ball down....

rory ferris will be on the tour no doubt and is an immense player but as i mentioned he got pipped by lydiate for lyds workrate in a match of greater intensity

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:28 pm

in the 40(?) mins he was on the pitch blair was quick incisive and constantly keeping the french defence honest...

phillips was put under pressure yesterday and his slightly slower service (compared to other 9's) showed up....again all in my opinion

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:37 pm

GavinDragon wrote: many irish players probably miss out due to them having played italy...

One: You can only beat what's in front of you and Ireland did that to Italy better than England or France.

Two: Italy are part of the Six Nations. You don't beat them and you lose points and your chances of a Slam. They do count, in other words.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:42 pm

1.Jenkins
2.Bennett
3.Jones
4.Gray
5.O'Connell
6.Lydiate
7.Warburton (c)
8.Heaslip
9.Blair
10.Farrell
11.North
12.Roberts
13.Tulaigi
14.Bowe
15.Kearney

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:42 pm

yes of course they count but which games were the closer more intense contests out of the three? hence why picking ON THIS WEEKENDS fixtures a couple of irish have missed out

this is not a comment on italy ireland or previous games it is purtely what was seen over the last two days

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:42 pm

cricket fan bennett didnt even play this weekend?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:43 pm

i know but i think he should be in the side.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:52 pm

Scott Williams definitely in over Morrison if you're considering only this weekend. Surprised you haven't suggested Jones at 14 after today, he was excellent.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:56 pm

Who are they playing, where, when? Or have you just gone for a 'team of the round'?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 26 Feb 2012, 7:58 pm

GavinDragon wrote:in the 40(?) mins he was on the pitch blair was quick incisive and constantly keeping the french defence honest...

phillips was put under pressure yesterday and his slightly slower service (compared to other 9's) showed up....again all in my opinion

i know what you mean. phillips was slow yesterday, back to his bad old self a little. but he has been playing much better these last few weeks.

to be fair many of the wlesh players struggled yesterday because england were very good.

phillips still has to be the best SH option at the moment.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:04 pm

knowsit i wasnt sure whether jones was 11 or 14? can you put scott in for one line break and his ten second of brilliance? he also got turned over a couple of times...

glas a B&I team of round then

and dog yep he is also IMO but blair played better this weekend

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:08 pm

Ferris, Kearney and POC would be the Irish contenders for me. Didn't see the scotlanD game but they were better than any in their respective positions yesterday.

Agree with Gavin though any side that plays Italy tends to feature less in these debates.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:11 pm

In that case Gav I agree with you. The only thing is I would have Barritt at 12 and Parling would not be on my team.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:12 pm

Ross Ford was superb today and was fantastic in the lineout - Hew Bennett's throwing is awful!

My team based on the weekend:

1 Healy
2 Ford
3 Jones
4 Gray
5 POC (colossal performance)
6 Ferris
7 Warbuton/Rennie
8 Denton/Heaslip
9 Phillips (would have been Blair probably if he hadn't gone off injured
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Roberts
13 Tuilagi
14 1/2p
15 Stuart Hogg

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:17 pm

Morrison looked average at best I thought, I'd rather have somebody capable of breaking and turning a game as Williams did yesterday than someone likely to provide little or no input.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:19 pm

15. Hogg
14. Bowe
13. Tuilagi
12. J Davies
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Blair

8. Heaslip
7. Rennie
6. Robshaw
5. O'Connell
4. Gray
3. Jones
2. Ford
1. Jenkins

16. Best, 17. Corbisiero, 18. R Jones, 19. Denton, 20. Phillips, 21 S Williams, 22. Visser
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 26 Feb 2012, 8:27 pm

You would have to include Stuart Hogg in that team.

I dont think Jamie Roberts should be in the team based on this weeks performance.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 26 Feb 2012, 9:18 pm

Home nations team of the round
15 Kearney - Hogg was excellent as was Halfpenny but the Leinster man was TALISMANIC
14 Bowe - Lamont injured before he could make an impact, Cuthbert anonymous, Ashton clueless.
13 De Luca - what an impact from the bench from a player that had shown little hint of class previously
12 Barrit - Absorbed the kitchen sink treatment for Wales and dished a bit of it back.
11 North - Georgie's gonna get you. Every candidate has a decent shout and it could be any of them
10 Farrell - one of the youngest players was the natural leader.
9 Phillips - his passion drives Wales.

1 Healy - dealt with the Italian threat at the scrum and got round the park. Another strong position with each player capable of making a case.
2 Ford - lead his team by example. Best and Owens matched him in all aspects but yardage.
3 Jones - 2 try saving tackles and a mountain of work
4 Gray - consummate athlete, the guy has everything
5 POC - for being, well, POC
6 Lydiate - another afternoon of tackling and graft freeing his back row partners to shine
7 Rennie - a walking infringement in an invisibility cloak. Excellent display. Strong competition from Warburton, but it's expected from him.
8 Faletau - Denton did well but got injured. Heaslip doesn't gel with his 6 & 7. Faletau just does everything well.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Sun 26 Feb 2012, 10:25 pm

Glas a du wrote:Home nations team of the round
15 Kearney - Hogg was excellent as was Halfpenny but the Leinster man was TALISMANIC
14 Bowe - Lamont injured before he could make an impact, Cuthbert anonymous, Ashton clueless.
13 De Luca - what an impact from the bench from a player that had shown little hint of class previously
12 Barrit - Absorbed the kitchen sink treatment for Wales and dished a bit of it back.
11 North - Georgie's gonna get you. Every candidate has a decent shout and it could be any of them
10 Farrell - one of the youngest players was the natural leader.
9 Phillips - his passion drives Wales.

1 Healy - dealt with the Italian threat at the scrum and got round the park. Another strong position with each player capable of making a case.
2 Ford - lead his team by example. Best and Owens matched him in all aspects but yardage.
3 Jones - 2 try saving tackles and a mountain of work
4 Gray - consummate athlete, the guy has everything
5 POC - for being, well, POC
6 Lydiate - another afternoon of tackling and graft freeing his back row partners to shine
7 Rennie - a walking infringement in an invisibility cloak. Excellent display. Strong competition from Warburton, but it's expected from him.
8 Faletau - Denton did well but got injured. Heaslip doesn't gel with his 6 & 7. Faletau just does everything well.

That there's just about right I think, swap deluca for tuilagi and you've got the pickings of a decent team..

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:16 am

Just based on this weekend's performances

15 Kearney - outstanding display just edges Hogg and Halfpenny, both of whom were excellent and neither of whom would disgrace the 15 shirt
14 Bowe -"Lamont injured before he could make an impact, Cuthbert anonymous, Ashton clueless" - hard to disagree with Glas's comments
13 Tuilagi - caused all sorts of problems for the Welsh defence
12 Barritt - "Absorbed the kitchen sink treatment for Wales and dished a bit of it back" - ditto
11 North - Jones putting up his hand too, with a fine try
10 Sexton - finally delivering his Leinster form in the green of Ireland
9 Phillips - for his contribution when Wales were down to 14 men alone, Iron Mike gets the nod, with Blair producing an excellent half before going off injured

1 ?? - not sure that either of the contenders, Healy and Jenkins, did quite enough to claim the shirt this weekend, and Corbisero wasn't as strong as he has been
2 Ford - led his team by example. No other hookers delivering the all-round package that Ford is
3 Jones - the rock on which you build things
4 Gray - consummate athlete, the guy has everything, with Evans not far off
5 POC - for being, well, POC, with Hamilton not far behind either
6 Ferris/Lydiate - could go either way here, both superb
7 Rennie - "a walking infringement in an invisibility cloak. Excellent display. Strong competition from Warburton, but it's expected from him." (Love that comment Glas, am going to pinch it and use it unashamedly whether you like it or not!!)
8 Denton - so much go forward with ball in hand, Faletau v close behind him, Heaslip still not finding his peak form, and Morgan beginning to stick up his hand too - lots of choice

Braveheart rose Wales Leprechaun

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:22 am

Hard to argue with that side ASBO. Definitely Ferris at 6 though, BBC MOTM, but then I would say that.

Warburton was excellent but Rennie even better.

Rory Best at 2, but then I would say that too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:46 am

I think Ford edges it as it was his best performance for Scotland.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

You will make a mockery of the Lions Jumper if you award Botha a jumper.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

Yes. He's got a nice scrum cap though.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 27 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

Glas a du wrote:Yes. He's got a nice scrum cap though.
Very Happy Needs to cut his hair though, it looks messy and he is ever faffing with the thing cause it slides around on his hairdo. Maybe he can't see thorugh it when it keeps moving around.

It could of course be that he just doesn't know how to fasten the thing correctly?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:12 pm

1. Jenkins
2. Ford
3. Jones
4. Parling
5. Gray
6. Rennie
7. Warburton
8. Denton/Morgan
9. Blair
10. Farrell
11. L. Jones
12. Sc. Williams
13. Tuilagi
14. North
15. Hogg

If we could include the french, Ive of had 1. Poux / 3. Mas / 12. Fofana

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:15 pm

1) Healy
2) Ford
3) Jones
4) Gray
5) O'Connell
6) Ferris
7) Warburton/Rennie
8) Denton
9) Phillips
10) Sexton
11) North
12) Davies
13) Tuilagi
14) Bowe
15) Kearney/Hogg

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:17 pm

Comfort

It's a bit early for drinking isn't it???

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:21 pm

Whistle

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:26 pm

He was awesome for England. Stepped in at first receiver and kept the ball moving when needed, tackled everything that came anywhere near him and carried a couple of decent crash balls. If the Lions are to play Aus then they are going to need a no nonsense midfield to hammer those flair filled backs and Barritt could do that.

rory ferris will be on the tour no doubt and is an immense player but as i mentioned he got pipped by lydiate for lyds workrate in a match of greater intensity.

Lydiate did let go of Warburton in mid air causing him to nearly injure himself. Then again the ref blamed Robshaw and Wales won a penalty so I'm not sure whether to mark him down for that or not. I thought Croft played very well and was the pick of the England backrow so plenty of options.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

01. Jenkins
02. Ford
03. Jones
04. Gray
05. O'Connell
06. Ferris
07. Warburton
08. Denton
09. Blair
10. Farrell
11. ? Nobody stood out
12. Barritt
13. Tuilagi
14. Bowe
15. Kearney
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

I like Barrit, I think he's been overlooked for a while but to place him above Roberts??? Definately not, yet anyway!!!

And not sure why Tuilagi's in anyones squad let alone test side, apart from being a disruptive influence he's done nothing apart from a few boshes and a few butchered tries. I would take Roberts, JD2, Farrell and Barritt as options over him right now, not to mention Mcfadden and Earls who are on par but offer more flexibility!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:47 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I like Barrit, I think he's been overlooked for a while but to place him above Roberts??? Definately not, yet anyway!!!

And not sure why Tuilagi's in anyones squad let alone test side, apart from being a disruptive influence he's done nothing apart from a few boshes and a few butchered tries. I would take Roberts, JD2, Farrell and Barritt as options over him right now, not to mention Mcfadden and Earls who are on par but offer more flexibility!

But if we are basing selections purely on this week of games he would be ahead of Roberts
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:50 pm

To be fair we high jacked the original thread jersey and imposed that criteria.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:51 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I like Barrit, I think he's been overlooked for a while but to place him above Roberts??? Definately not, yet anyway!!!

The fact you mentioned McFadden as a better option than Tuilagi makes that whole paragraph look ridiculous.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:52 pm

If we do that the Williams takes the 13 spot and Barrit the 12!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:53 pm

Tuilagi caused a lot of problems for Wales. If not for Warburton he probably would have scored. The main issue was he had no other attacking options alongside him, something England really need to work on. He is vitally important for England.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

Yes, but, in that move every England back was looking to score and one of them should have.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

How many HC trophies have Tuilagi won Rory? How many Finals has he scored in? How many league and HC tries has Tuilagi scored? MOTM performances? Who has the more GS trophies?

In every way apart from contact Mcfadden is the better player, and contact for me is Tuilagi's weakness, because he is good at it he looks for it!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

Rory you've just undone your own argument, Warbs dragged him down slowly on the 5 metre line, if Tuilagi had been clever he would've taken 2 more steps wide, or lifted his knees to avoid getting both feet caught, OR GIVEN IT TO FODEN WHO WAS SCREAMING ON HIS SHOULDER!!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:58 pm

I like the look of Feckless Rogue's side.

Not sure how anyone can give a spot to any of the Welsh centres. They got mostly taken out of the game by Barritt and Tuilagi (literally in Robert's case).

I think the Barritt/Tuilagi has real potential to be excellent. It was their first game together too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 27 Feb 2012, 1:59 pm

Wow Laugh

I don't even know where to start, so I think I'll just leave you to your thoughts thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:00 pm

beshocked wrote:I like the look of Feckless Rogue's side.

Not sure how anyone can give a spot to any of the Welsh centres. They got mostly taken out of the game by Barritt and Tuilagi (literally in Robert's case).

I think the Barritt/Tuilagi has real potential to be excellent. It was their first game together too.

Oh but Tuilagi hasn't won any medals yet! That means he isn't a good player.. right??

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next