The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

+43
RuggerRadge2611
doctornickolas
TJ1
RubyGuby
king_carlos
wales606
maestegmafia
geoff998rugby
Chunky Norwich
eirebilly
The Great Aukster
doctor_grey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Submachine
Cadair Idris
rhino-dragon
Taffineastbourne
wonder_man
Newsilure
killer938
beshocked
ChequeredJersey
Feckless Rogue
formerly known as Sam
thebluesmancometh
Comfort
Biltong
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ultra
majesticimperialman
IanBru
RDW
Standulstermen
Glas a du
Knowsit17
SecretFly
dogtooth
Rory_Gallagher
TycroesOsprey
bsando
GavinDragon
47 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 3 Empty Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by GavinDragon Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:06 am

First topic message reminder :

this is my lions team after watching the games, many irish players probably miss out due to them having played italy...

15. Hogg
14. any of them
13. Tuilagi
12. morrison d'arcy
11. North
10. Farrell
9. Blair

8. Denton
7. Warburton (Rennie very close to him)
6. Lydiate
5. Gray (PoC very close)
4. Botha/Parling/Hamilton
3. Jones (with cole very close)
2. Ford
1. Jenkins

ive picked based on the numbers theyve played with the exception of gray as there is very little difference postionally between 4 and 5...so at 12 roberts and baritt seemd quiet in comparison with the other two

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 am

And thats without discussin Wood, and the two in form rowers in Denton and Rennie... Shocked

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by Submachine Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:44 am

As an individual you would have to say that Sean O'Brien would make a Lions test team but playing at 7 for Ireland he will not stand out. He is doing a great job but is not being used to his full potential. I was hoping that O'Mahony would replace Heaslip and O'Brien would finish the game at 8.

My lions team
1. Healy
2. Ford
3. Jones
4. Grey
5. POC
6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. SOB
9. Phillips
10. Sexton
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Farrell
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:45 am

Cadair Idris wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Nah I have my analysis software on now, I can't be beat.

Besides deep down everyone knows Ferris is a freak of nature, but the Irish backrow is just a bit too flaresy at present, and it needs someone to be the dog at the breakdown, who do you drop, Heaslip, Ferris or SOB??? Rather you make that decision than me...

Although I'd like to see Henry given a shot, add a bit of balance, it's not always about having your best players on the park, but best team.

I think you've just put your finger on it. Ferris is a great player and probably will be lions 6 but lydiate is invaluable as part of this particular welsh back row combination. Gatland pursued a similar policy with his great wasps back row which was very balanced with worsley playing the equivalent role to lydiate. kidney of course as you acknowledge is pursuing the opposite approach of picking the best 3 back rowers in ireland as opposed the best combination. The lions test selection may depend on combinations rather than just individual flair.
Spot on!Backrows are crucial in the modern game.The Welsh backrow has reached the WC semis,beaten Ireland 3 in a row,has won the TC and is in line to win this 6N's never mind World Rankings amongst Britain and Ireland.Units rather than individuals are what is required.How anyone can pick an unbalanced backrow just to include a favourite player demonstrates a naivity that frustrates me.We try and ineract with all equally.Reality is that you talk communicate differently with those who understand less,like children.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:46 am

Sub

Get Jenkins in there, and swap the centres around and thats not half bad... oh and anyone to start apart from Phillips!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 am

Healy is the future and also the present and if he was older he would also be the past. Can't see past Phillips. No. 8 playing scrum half. Love it

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:51 am

An 8 would get the ball away quicker, and can pass off their left!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 am

Hang on a minute...if this is lions team based on this weekends fixtures then really its team of the round minus the frenchies and any sympathy picks for the Italians.

Couple of controversial things:

Welsh front row was dominant in the scrum, but I thought Cole was the standout player around the park.

For all the fawning over Farrell (who had to quit early because hes not strong enough for a game that hard yet) Sexton quietly got on with doing his job well, its just kind of expected of established players and not big news though.

Scott Williams put in the best individual moment of the weekend. Cant really say that alone is enough to pick him though.

Dickson wasnt as good as some people seem to think for England, or Lawes as bad.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:00 am

Someone said that Lydiate does the flash stuff.Clueless.He does the graft at the coalface stuff.He tackles.He gets up and he tackles somemore.This allows Warbs to jackle.Toby and Warbs gain the yards.Lydiate tackles and tackles again.Worsley-like is a fair call.Worked for Wasps and England as I recall.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

That was me Taff, but when I mentioned flash stuff I meant the easy to spot stuff.

My point is Ferris is a better player than Lydiate IMHO, but I wouldn't drop Lydiate for Ferris in the Wales back row, it works too well.

Make sense?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:00 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:That was me Taff, but when I mentioned flash stuff I meant the easy to spot stuff.

My point is Ferris is a better player than Lydiate IMHO, but I wouldn't drop Lydiate for Ferris in the Wales back row, it works too well.

Make sense?

Agree with all that but must admit I had also raised my eyebrows at the "flash" comment for lydiate. Flash he ain't! He's one of those players that you'd need a sky-type playercam on to see just the amount of work and tackles he gets through - he's so in the thick of things in the contact area that you often can't see the number on the back of his shirt. lydiatecam is what we need!

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 am

That is a very good idea. I always remember the commentators going on about Simon Easterby's "unseen" work. A little montage at half and full time would be most welcome.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:17 am

The thing that gives Lydiate his reputation (or soon to be) is his line speed, defencive nous and his constant work rate, it's like having a bigger stronger 7 on the blind.

I think theyre carrying Falatau a touch though at the minute, making him look good, not that he's bad but he's only really offering decent carrying at present, and a decent defence, but he will get better and better, just a shame Morgan didn't fancy us...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cadair Idris Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:51 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:The thing that gives Lydiate his reputation (or soon to be) is his line speed, defencive nous and his constant work rate, it's like having a bigger stronger 7 on the blind.

I think theyre carrying Falatau a touch though at the minute, making him look good, not that he's bad but he's only really offering decent carrying at present, and a decent defence, but he will get better and better, just a shame Morgan didn't fancy us...

I agree that Faletau hasn't quite matched the lofty heights of his excellent world cup but he's still playing pretty well. Hopefully he'll have a couple of big games vs Italy and France. I still don't think Morgan would be getting a look in at the moment ahead of TF had he opted for Wales to be honest, though he'd obviously be in the squad.

Cadair Idris

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:39 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:That was me Taff, but when I mentioned flash stuff I meant the easy to spot stuff.

Make sense?
To clarify my definition of the "flash stuff" it is Ferris standing in midfield and Heaslip loitering on the wing that is "flash".Lydiate tackles,tackles and tackles some more.Ferris does Jamie Roberts job and Heaslip tries to George North's job.This leaves SOB trying to do the 6,7 &8's job.The guy deserves sainthood!!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 am

Hate to break your heart taff, but according to the stats Ferris made more tackles than your poster boy Lydiate. Isn't that what he is praised for? Ferris gets through the work Lydiate does but offers a lot more. Also, I don't think you have actually watched Ferris play, because you are talking rubbish.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 am

Ireland are missing BOD because of his backrow work that the Irish backrow showponies are not doing.Some Irish fans think everything is dandy.Carry on,lads.Keep on losing with your great backrow.How many more defeats to Wales will it take to twig that things could be better?Got to chuckle really as bias overtakes reality.Keep doing the same coz it will eventually work.Good lads.
"I know we keep losing but our players are better,honest."LOL.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:58 am

I think we were just discussing Lydiate and Ferris actually. I see you mentioned neither in that little rant.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 am

Read it again.Give it some thought.Take a big breath.Be enlightened.
Seriously,I have had enough of you and my ignore list will rise by 100%.I applaud you.You are truely special.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:14 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Ireland are missing BOD because of his backrow work that the Irish backrow showponies are not doing.Some Irish fans think everything is dandy.Carry on,lads.Keep on losing with your great backrow.How many more defeats to Wales will it take to twig that things could be better?Got to chuckle really as bias overtakes reality.Keep doing the same coz it will eventually work.Good lads.

Same number of tries as Wales with a game in hand and playing dreadfully (by our standards). Everything is dandy Taff Smile I think we might even drag a Slam out of this year, even with the one loss. Wink We're seriously that good

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:25 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Read it again.Give it some thought.Take a big breath.Be enlightened.
Seriously,I have had enough of you and my ignore list will rise by 100%.I applaud you.You are truely special.

Sorry that you found it so hard to take that I don't rate Lydiate as highly as you do. You should probably grow a thicker skin. You spoke of balance but we were talking about individual players. Yes Lydiate adds great balance blah blah. I've heard it all before. Ferris does what Lydiate is applauded for and yet he does and more. As do many other 6s. Lydiate doesn't do something different that sets him apart.

So even though Ireland might not have balance right yet, you can be certain that (excluding injury) Ferris will be the number 6 for Ireland. He is far from being the problem with the irish backrow, or the team in general.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 am

SecretFly wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Ireland are missing BOD because of his backrow work that the Irish backrow showponies are not doing.Some Irish fans think everything is dandy.Carry on,lads.Keep on losing with your great backrow.How many more defeats to Wales will it take to twig that things could be better?Got to chuckle really as bias overtakes reality.Keep doing the same coz it will eventually work.Good lads.

Same number of tries as Wales with a game in hand and playing dreadfully (by our standards). Everything is dandy Taff Smile I think we might even drag a Slam out of this year, even with the one loss. Wink We're seriously that good
If you were to claim a Slam having lost one it might well go to the citing commisioner and they might well give you 2 slams!!!!!!Nothing would surprise me nowadays.
Some people cannot see what is in front of them.Sad,really.Hopefully coaches who are paid a lot of money can rectify things.When Wales were poor most Welsh fans could recognise our shortcomings.New found Irish success has brought some new blood that do not understand the game and their minds are closed.
Ferris,SOB and Heaslip are fine players as individuals.Are they working as a unit???
We have not played Italy yet.
I hope that you persevere with your Irish backrow coz clearly they are superior to ours as the results show.We are not worthy.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:36 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

If you were to claim a Slam having lost one it might well go to the citing commisioner and they might well give you 2 slams!!!!!!Nothing would surprise me nowadays.
Some people cannot see what is in front of them.Sad,really.Hopefully coaches who are paid a lot of money can rectify things.When Wales were poor most Welsh fans could recognise our shortcomings.New found Irish success has brought some new blood that do not understand the game and their minds are closed.
Ferris,SOB and Heaslip are fine players as individuals.Are they working as a unit???
We have not played Italy yet.
I hope that you persevere with your Irish backrow coz clearly they are superior to ours as the results show.We are not worthy.

Do you read the threads at all Taff? I mean the Irish ones? We know what we want, we know what's missing, we know how it might be fixed, we know we have the players to fix it....................... and, we haven't played England yet Wink

I think if we beat them by 70 or 80 points, they'll give us the Slam. That's Kidney's plan anyway and he has a wise head on him. If he thinks it might happen, you can be sure there's a chance Wink In Deccie We Trust, as we Irish chant to ourselves three times at night before we go to bed.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:42 am

Taff, do you read the Irish threads? Nobody thinks everything is dandy. Nobody thinks we're playing better than Wales. Some want the coach sacked.

In O'Brien and Ferris, Ireland have two great blindsides that any team would want. But we don't have a great openside. If we can physically dominate the opposition and effectively use the choke tackle, this unbalance can be overcome. We did it against England in the last 6 Nations and Australia in the RWC. But on the evidence of the last three games, we can't physically dominate the Welsh anymore.

The RWC match was an eye opener for me. At about 65 minutes the Irish commentator said that the Irish looked punch drunk. He was right. And I realized that it was probably the first time in the ten years I've been watching rugby that the Welsh team had physically beaten the Irish. We always beat them by simply beating up their pack in the past. They may have attacked better than us in some games. But I'd never seen them beat us so comprehensively in the collisions.

I've no problem admitting the Welsh combo is more effective than ours. At worst they're nullifying out trio's threat in attack.

However if we're picking a Lions team based on who the best individuals are, it's Ferris over Lydiate at 6. For me that's a no-brainer. He offers everything Lydiate does and a bit more.

I think Ireland have to look at Munsters O'Mahoney for 7. Although I fear he's another great 6/8, and not the 7 we need.

My Lions back row

6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Faletau/Heaslip/O'Brien/Denton - they all look really good to me
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Read it again.Give it some thought.Take a big breath.Be enlightened.

Sorry that you found it so hard to take that I don't rate Lydiate as highly as you do. You should probably grow a thicker skin. You spoke of balance but we were talking about individual players. Yes Lydiate adds great balance blah blah. I've heard it all before. Ferris does what Lydiate is applauded for and yet he does and more. As do many other 6s. Lydiate doesn't do something different that sets him apart.

So even though Ireland might not have balance right yet, you can be certain that (excluding injury) Ferris will be the number 6 for Ireland. He is far from being the problem with the irish backrow, or the team in general.
I do not understand what is going on as I have put you on my "foe" list but you still keep cropping up!
For the last time and I am typing this slowly for you to understand:the Welsh backrow has outplayed the Irish for the last 3 games.Wales have won these 3 games.Warbs,Faletau and Lydiate keep on winning.Why would any sane person disrupt this backrow unit to incorporate a player from a defeated side to improve things?The Welsh guys are doing fine,let's bring an outsider in why dont we?What a clown I am.
Nobodt other than me rates Lydiate apart from the idiots in the press.You must be right,Rory.Lydiate is a poor player and Gawd knows how Wales keep beating better sides with better players.Wake up and grow up.
Hopefully the cloaking device will save my blood pressure once your knowledgeable comments are blocked.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:55 am

I love how you are literally arguing with yourself taff, as I haven't even said any of the things you are moaning about there. Have I said Lydiate is poor? Nope. Have I said ANYTHING about the balance of the welsh back row? Nope.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:Taff, do you read the Irish threads? Nobody thinks everything is dandy. Nobody thinks we're playing better than Wales. Some want the coach sacked.

In O'Brien and Ferris, Ireland have two great blindsides that any team would want. But we don't have a great openside. If we can physically dominate the opposition and effectively use the choke tackle, this unbalance can be overcome. We did it against England in the last 6 Nations and Australia in the RWC. But on the evidence of the last three games, we can't physically dominate the Welsh anymore.

The RWC match was an eye opener for me. At about 65 minutes the Irish commentator said that the Irish looked punch drunk. He was right. And I realized that it was probably the first time in the ten years I've been watching rugby that the Welsh team had physically beaten the Irish. We always beat them by simply beating up their pack in the past. They may have attacked better than us in some games. But I'd never seen them beat us so comprehensively in the collisions.

I've no problem admitting the Welsh combo is more effective than ours. At worst they're nullifying out trio's threat in attack.

However if we're picking a Lions team based on who the best individuals are, it's Ferris over Lydiate at 6. For me that's a no-brainer. He offers everything Lydiate does and a bit more.

I think Ireland have to look at Munsters O'Mahoney for 7. Although I fear he's another great 6/8, and not the 7 we need.

My Lions back row

6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Faletau/Heaslip/O'Brien/Denton - they all look really good to me
We have a saying over here,"if it aint broke dont try and fix it".We know that the Wales combo works.Why would anyone with half a brain cell tinker?I recognise what each of the Irish backrowers bring to the party and have Ferris and SOB in my ESPN game selection.
Rory bangs on,childishly about stats.The only stat that matters is the Results.In a team game units matter more than individuals.
Depressing that jingoism overtakes common sense in these matters.
Why on God's green earth would anyone look to disrupt a balanced backrow on the off chance that an outsider could integrate pretty sharpish to be more effective than what was there already?
I may have been dropped on the head as a baby but if I was concussed I cant remember it!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:02 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Warbs,Faletau and Lydiate keep on winning.Why would any sane person disrupt this backrow unit to incorporate a player from a defeated side to improve things?.

Who are the Lions going to play? How many times have Wales met that side and won in recent months? Twice? No wins. Meanwhile the players from the defeated side played them once and won. How many chances do you give players that the opposition (Australia) have worked out?

On a personal level I couldn't care less if the starting 15 Lions were all Welsh (The Lions are entertaining but I prefer Nations playing Nations) however when you argue, remember some of the detail. The Australians fear the Irish more than the Welsh.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:09 am

Yes but the selection of a Lions team is not about picking individuals or units, it's about picking a team to suit the conditions of the match. If you want to beat Australia in Australia that means a back five who are athletic types.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:12 am

SecretFly wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Warbs,Faletau and Lydiate keep on winning.Why would any sane person disrupt this backrow unit to incorporate a player from a defeated side to improve things?.

Who are the Lions going to play? How many times have Wales met that side and won in recent months? Twice? No wins. Meanwhile the players from the defeated side played them once and won. How many chances do you give players that the opposition (Australia) have worked out?

On a personal level I couldn't care less if the starting 15 Lions were all Welsh (The Lions are entertaining but I prefer Nations playing Nations) however when you argue, remember some of the detail. The Australians fear the Irish more than the Welsh.
You have touched a nerve there coz I am as passionate about the Lions as I am about Wales.I will ask the question that anyone who has an ounce of Rugby knowledge might well ask.Was Pocock playing?
Why would Australia fear a side thjat Wales have beaten thrice in a row.Are you a comedian?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:17 am

Taff, you are so right - which is why Rennie will be the test 7 - thanks for coming OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:18 am

Glas a du wrote:Yes but the selection of a Lions team is not about picking individuals or units, it's about picking a team to suit the conditions of the match. If you want to beat Australia in Australia that means a back five who are athletic types.

It means picking players who might have already done it. Ireland are playing appalling stuff at times...nope, they're not using O'Brien, Heaslip and Ferris right. It's a mess - the players aren't.

Correct the issues and the Irish side will go up the gears...and we have already winessed what they do when misfiring badly...they still slot in tries easily enough.

Tony McGahan isn't being brought into the Australian set up because the Australians are concerned about Welsh players..he's been dragged in to offer up his insider info on Irish players and obviously because Australia prefer to learn from a coach that coached Irish players. They already have another past Munster coach in Jim Willams.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:25 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:You have touched a nerve there coz I am as passionate about the Lions as I am about Wales.I will ask the question that anyone who has an ounce of Rugby knowledge might well ask.Was Pocock playing?
Why would Australia fear a side thjat Wales have beaten thrice in a row.Are you a comedian?

I'm only passionate about one thing - and that's the Irish team. Nothing else comes close.

Was Pocock playing? - Who is Pocock?

Australia's dedicated 7?

Who was Ireland's dedicated 7 who was injured in the WC warm-up game against England? Name him and tell me he wasn't a dead cert to be on the plane and pre-planned to be part of the Australia starting 15?

And tell me this...if Pocock was present for the Welsh games, that still suggests he'll be a handful for the Welsh top heavy Lions.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 am

We have a saying over here,"if it aint broke dont try and fix it".

Well then, for the 2009 Lions tour, should the entire first 15 have been Irish? Ireland were unbeaten for the entire season that year. That eventually included a win against South Africa in the Autumn, as well as a Grand Slam.

The answer is no. Because you can make a better team from all four nations. And you can make a better backrow than the Welsh one from all four nations. The most obvious improvement would be replacing Lydiate with Ferris. Because, like I said, Ferris could play Lydiate's role just as effectively, if not more so. He would also be an extra threat for the Aussie's to keep an eye on. I'm sure Will Genia remembers him.

Don't forget that Ireland, England and Scotland have all beaten Australia in the last four year cycle. Wales haven't.

Last edited by Feckless Rogue on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:27 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Taff, you are so right - which is why Rennie will be the test 7 - thanks for coming OK
Rennie is an oustanding player.
Please explain why a Lions coach would prefer him to Warburton in what should be a Championship/GS winning side's backrow combo?
To try and integrate an outsider and upset a winning combo would seem plain daft to me.
Would the 15 best players in Britain and Ireland make the best team?I doubt it.Common sense must prevail.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:31 am

Glas a du wrote:Yes but the selection of a Lions team is not about picking individuals or units, it's about picking a team to suit the conditions of the match. If you want to beat Australia in Australia that means a back five who are athletic types.

Well then I don't see the problem in swapping out Lydiate for Ferris seeing as Ferris is just as effective in the things Lydiate is praised for. Yet offers a lot more. Rennie is a natural openside like Warburton and is probably playing better currently (just, plus for the lions I would still pick Warburton for his leadership). Faletau has been lacking in terms of going forward. For that, Denton would be ideal. I don't see how Wales apparently are the only team with balance in the back row. In fact if Wales didn't have such a big back-line, would their back row look as good? I doubt it.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:33 am

I think the backs should be dominated by Welsh players. The forwards should be a mix.

6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Denton

That looks just as balanced as the Welsh one to me. But on current form it would be even better.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:37 am

Wales have three tests against Australia coming up this year? Let's wait and see what the Australians think of the "championship/GS winning side's backrow combo" again before writing them down as dead-certs.

Ireland have a tougher journey down lower still to the home of the World Champions for three tests....

I suggest the tests (all six of them) will be the judging ground for many of the Lions positions.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 am

SecretFly wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:You have touched a nerve there coz I am as passionate about the Lions as I am about Wales.I will ask the question that anyone who has an ounce of Rugby knowledge might well ask.Was Pocock playing?

I'm only passionate about one thing - and that's the Irish team. Nothing else comes close.

Was Pocock playing? - Who is Pocock?

Australia's dedicated 7?

Who was Ireland's dedicated 7 who was injured in the WC warm-up game against England? Name him and tell me he wasn't a dead cert to be on the plane and pre-planned to be part of the Australia starting 15?

And tell me this...if Pocock was present for the Welsh games, that still suggests he'll be a handful for the Welsh top heavy Lions.
Pocock has been the best 7 in the world for the the last year or so..If you have not recognised this there is simply no point in continuing.Some Rugby knowledge would be appreciated.
Ferris must be good even though we do not have a clue about who he'll be up against!
Wales havent beaten a team with him in but Ireland's backrow who have lost 3 on the bounce against Wales will stand a better chance because they beat Australia without him?I'll have a pint of what you're on!

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : admin test 29/02/2012)

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:46 am

Fly, best of luck with this guy. Unless you give in and say Wales are the best team in the world and the lions should consist entirely of the welsh, he will never be happy.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:48 am

Well to me the clear strength of the next lions tour is the back row. We can argue over a few blokes here or there, but it won't matter. It will remain the backbone of the team.

On the other hand I am seriously worried about 10. The only settled and bedded in 10 is Sexton and I am not a big fan. And I am assuming O'Gara will have packed in his boots by then. There is a lot of potential, but only one year away......
So the home nations better get back to the lab and conjure up something fast.

The front rows will be good but not out-of-this-world great. But maybe we can get by because we are in Oz. Second row has interesting choices.

The backs will drive me nuts. Right now, we have some good form by newer players, but they haven't proved it for more than a season at the top level. And sub-optimal form by people we expect more from.

Crickey, this is making me nervous all over again. Not for nothing I love the Lions.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Pocock has been the best 7 in the world for the the last year or so..

Wales havent beaten a team with him in

Sounds like the Welsh backrow is seriously broken and needs fixing?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:54 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Pocock has been the best 7 in the world for the the last year or so..

Wales havent beaten a team with him in

Sounds like the Welsh backrow is seriously broken and needs fixing?
Care to clarify?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:09 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Pocock has been the best 7 in the world for the the last year or so..If you have not recognised this there is simply no point in continuing.Some Rugby knowledge would be appreciated.
Ferris must be good even though we do not have a clue about who he'll be up against!
Wales havent beaten a team with him in but Ireland's backrow who have lost 3 on the bounce against Wales will stand a better chance because they beat Australia without him?I'll have a pint of what you're on!

Thanks for the info on that lad named Pocock. I must get around to seeing him sometime...Now, Mr. knowledgeable, you still didn't cough up the player Ireland were missing through injury...try Wiki, if your vast rugby knowledge precludes him.

So the story according to Taff is this: Australia - No. 2 side in the world (both then when they met Ireland and now) - are missing their talisman, best 7 in the World. They meet Ireland - I think No. 8 in the world then and I think now too (that's handy) - missing a so-so 7 but virtually the only International calibre one they had (O'Brien certainly isn't one going by your very own learned opinion!)

Ireland win.

What part of "That wasn't expected!!!!" doesn't compute with you? The trick is that Australia (No.2 side in the world) shouldn't exactly need Pocock present to push aside the No.8 side in the world with some European nobody named O'Brien pretending to be a 7.

I know you see the logic or else I'm going to have to question that olde worlde rugby brain of yours that knows there's a player called Pocock.

Ireland beat the No.2 side in the world, Wales didn't. A win is a win as Welshmen say over on the 'was Strettle's disallowed try a try' thread Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Fly, best of luck with this guy. Unless you give in and say Wales are the best team in the world and the lions should consist entirely of the welsh, he will never be happy.

He doesn't really have to agree with me or even be happy. I'm just having fun, Rory Wink Seeing how far logic goes and where it gets lost in the long grass!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 am

SecretFly wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Pocock has been the best 7 in the world for the the last year or so..If you have not recognised this there is simply no point in continuing.Some Rugby knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info on that lad named Pocock. I must get around to seeing him sometime...Now, Mr. knowledgeable, you still didn't cough up the player Ireland were missing through injury...try Wiki, if your vast rugby knowledge precludes him.

So the story according to Taff is this: Australia - No. 2 side in the world (both then when they met Ireland and now) - are missing their talisman, best 7 in the World. They meet Ireland - I think No. 8 in the world then and I think now too (that's handy) - missing a so-so 7 but virtually the only International calibre one they had (O'Brien certainly isn't one going by your very own learned opinion!)

Ireland win.

What part of "That wasn't expected!!!!" doesn't compute with you? The trick is that Australia (No.2 side in the world) shouldn't exactly need Pocock present to push aside the No.8 side in the world with some European nobody named O'Brien pretending to be a 7.

I know you see the logic or else I'm going to have to question that olde worlde rugby brain of yours that knows there's a player called Pocock.

Ireland beat the No.2 side in the world, Wales didn't. A win is a win as Welshmen say over on the 'was Strettle's disallowed try a try' thread Wink
Clever sticks,who has won the last three Wales v Ireland encounters?Was your mystery man playing?How do you feel? laughing

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 am

Come on Taff..I'm being serious now. Do you know the player we were missing? The player who was injured by a collision with Tuilagi during the warm-up game against England? That big rugby brain of yours better not be still trying to get the right Wiki search word!!! Play fair.

I'll give you a clue. No, our mystery man wasn't playing for the last two Welsh encounters (and we all know what happened on the first of that sequence of wins....!). I'm afraid we're still stuck with that lad who is trying to pretend he's a 7. He's hoping nobody notices...but, damn it, I think we'll have to tell him the Welsh found out.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:32 am

SecretFly wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Fly, best of luck with this guy. Unless you give in and say Wales are the best team in the world and the lions should consist entirely of the welsh, he will never be happy.

He doesn't really have to agree with me or even be happy. I'm just having fun, Rory Wink Seeing how far logic goes and where it gets lost in the long grass!

This forum is not the place for logic my friend. Wink

It is for fairy tails and fables. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:34 am

biltongbek wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Really, I thought it was for the welsh..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:38 am

Geez, I can't even spell fairy tales. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Really, I thought it was for the welsh..

then sir, you are correct. Ok!
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next