The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

+43
RuggerRadge2611
doctornickolas
TJ1
RubyGuby
king_carlos
wales606
maestegmafia
geoff998rugby
Chunky Norwich
eirebilly
The Great Aukster
doctor_grey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Submachine
Cadair Idris
rhino-dragon
Taffineastbourne
wonder_man
Newsilure
killer938
beshocked
ChequeredJersey
Feckless Rogue
formerly known as Sam
thebluesmancometh
Comfort
Biltong
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ultra
majesticimperialman
IanBru
RDW
Standulstermen
Glas a du
Knowsit17
SecretFly
dogtooth
Rory_Gallagher
TycroesOsprey
bsando
GavinDragon
47 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 5 Empty Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by GavinDragon Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:06 am

First topic message reminder :

this is my lions team after watching the games, many irish players probably miss out due to them having played italy...

15. Hogg
14. any of them
13. Tuilagi
12. morrison d'arcy
11. North
10. Farrell
9. Blair

8. Denton
7. Warburton (Rennie very close to him)
6. Lydiate
5. Gray (PoC very close)
4. Botha/Parling/Hamilton
3. Jones (with cole very close)
2. Ford
1. Jenkins

ive picked based on the numbers theyve played with the exception of gray as there is very little difference postionally between 4 and 5...so at 12 roberts and baritt seemd quiet in comparison with the other two

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 5 Empty Re: Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by Standulstermen Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:29 pm

1. Jenkins
2. Ford (sorry Rory but yesterday cost you)
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. POC
6. Ferris (we have had arguments for Haskell and croft over him which were all equally ridiculous)
7. Warburton ( just shades rennie on leadership. Both would travel)
8. Denton/faletau/Heaslip
9. Phillips
10. Weakest area but probably Farrell
11. North
12. Roberts
13. Tuilagi
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 5 Empty Re: Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Farrell after 1 average performance at out half - insane, absolutely insane - in time he might be able to lace Sextons boot, until then he's behind Flood and many others thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:31 pm

SecretFly wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Not being in the "Lions 15" does not make a player rubbish. I like Gray a lot but he needs to offer a bit more in the tight to edge the other 2 guys selected.

Nonsense.

I would say he is currently better than POC in every facet of the game except leadership and experience. He is bigger, stronger, faster and fitter. Only lost 1 lineout in the 6N thusfar too whilst stealing/disrupting 5 of the oppositions.

Better than Paul O'Connell? O'Connell is one of the few Irish players performing miracles, when our backs, our forwards, and our strength and conditioning coaches are no longer present and our gameplan is a shambles. He coaches during the week and plays at the weekend with some tour-de-force performances so far.

Gray better? A few Irish players are putting a hand up for Lions involvment (very few so far in my opinion!) A few English and Scottish ones.. and the bulk Welsh. I'm not an Irish player for every position champion on these Lions threads but 'Gray better than O'Connell' will have the Australians hoping that belief sticks and Gray not O'Connell walks onto the pitch to meet them.

I would actually have Gray and O'Connel to play the Australians. I said better in all aspects except Leadership and the most important one..... Experience. Gray is Bigger, Fitter, Faster and Stronger but POC probably is a better player due to his vast international experience. Gray however IMO is very close to being one of the best in the world. I already had this discussion on another thread though.

At this stage the Lions Jerseys are POC's and Grays to lose IMO.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Have to say on this weekends game, Best will have dropped off the Lion radar as he could not hit a barn door from 3 paces (and that was the main reason Ford was pillared by everyone last lions)

My team would be (Based on 6 nations form only)

1. Corbs
2. Ford
3.Jones
4.POC
5.Gray
6.Ferris
7.Rennie *think in 6 nations Rennie has been slightly better
8. Denton
9.Blair
10.Struggling
11. North
12.Roberts
13. JD
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Farrell delivered the best performance from a 10 in the tournament so far. I rate sexton and think he is a victim of our conservative coach but you couldn't justify starting him in his international form.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Go back and look at Farrells performance - 25 metres out from our line he chipped it straight into 1/2p's hands - He missed a relatively simple kick when the pressure was on and I think people are being kind 'cos he's young and it was his first run out. He offered nothing as an attacking threat apart from one chip into a blind alley where he was subsequently slam dunked. Flood got the line moving far better when he came on and England looked far less predictable - Sexton's defensive work yesterday was amazing. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:44 am

RubyGuby,
I agree. This is my point. We have no one standing out from a middling bunch. Yes, Sexton played terrific defense yesterday, but the attack was stuttering. I think each of our candidates can be good, have been good, are sometimes good, or might be good. But none are consistently good. At least right now.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 am

One question - how terrifying would that Welsh back line be with a 9 that was a scrum half!

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 am

Mike Blair's performance against France was brilliant, before his injury. If he keeps that up he'd be in contention.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:59 am

Riskysports wrote:One question - how terrifying would that Welsh back line be with a 9 that was a scrum half!

+1

I have never really rated Philips as a Scrum Half. His service is slow and he isn't the best of passers. He is big and strong but lacks the guile to be a world class scrum half. He is good at ball carrying though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:05 am

I don't rate him as a scrum half either, but what a player. His influence on this team is huge. He will not allow them to drop their heads. He was the one that galvanised them in to making the field position to beat Ireland.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:33 am

Looking at the scrum-half position for the Lions tour, it is reasonable to assume the Aussie 9 will be Will Genia. On form, Genia can be a real game changer. So, I think the job description for the Lions 9 is to be able to keep up with Genia, be a solid tackler, and then have good distribution and a few good runs of his own. We need a real heads-up 9. Especially since I believe the Lions back line will be very good, both on attack and defensively. This seems more like Blair to me, as well. Assuming he is not injured again.

But the series won't be won with the Lions 9 out performing Genia. Neutralise him and prevent his darting runs, put him on the back foot a bit, then let the back line do the donkey work to the Lions series victory.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:46 am

Phillips and Warburton can take care of Genia for me Grey. Let them worry about Phillips rather than the other way around. Blair can't hold the Scotland jersey down most of the time. There are a number of up and coming 9's that might challenge by then thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:00 am

The scrum halves for the Lions will be

Mike Phillips

+2 others to make up the numbers.

There are no stand out candidates other than Phillips at the moment.

Cussiter and Blair are very average and will scare no one. Care and Youngs may get a shot if either of them can be bothered. And Conor Murray has been virtually non existent.

I would not be surprised to see young Lloyd Williams go as the firm grounds and quick game will suit him down to the ground and he has the best pass of any of the above.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:03 am

I be hoping, mate. As I said, I think we have great possibilities for a real good series win. But I think Genia is a bit to quick for Phillips and Warburton. Besides Warburton (or whomever) will be busy neutralising, and possibly getting the better of the Aussie back row. Thats the key to victory, in my most humble and respectful of opinions.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:04 am

Glas a du wrote:I don't rate him as a scrum half either, but what a player. His influence on this team is huge. He will not allow them to drop their heads. He was the one that galvanised them in to making the field position to beat Ireland.

Finally someone points out Phillip's true merits.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:08 am

after the re-arrnaged game, and the games from previous weekend when game should have been played, i have changed my mind on my side and think currently side would be:

1.Corbiserio
2.Ford
3.Jones
4.POC
5.Gray
6.Ferris
7.Warburton (c)
8.Morgan
9.Phillips
10.Farrell
11.North
12.Tuilagi
13.Barritt
14.Ashton
15.Kearney

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:16 am

SecretFly wrote:
Glas a du wrote:I don't rate him as a scrum half either, but what a player. His influence on this team is huge. He will not allow them to drop their heads. He was the one that galvanised them in to making the field position to beat Ireland.

Finally someone points out Phillip's true merits.

Well done mate - People have a great deal of difficulty seeing Phillips as a bit of a beast but he's way out in front for me. He can be a a prxck off the field on occasion but you'd want him on your side rather than against you. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:17 am

cricketfan90 wrote:after the re-arrnaged game, and the games from previous weekend when game should have been played, i have changed my mind on my side and think currently side would be:

1.Corbiserio
2.Ford
3.Jones
4.POC
5.Gray
6.Ferris
7.Warburton (c)
8.Morgan
9.Phillips
10.Farrell
11.North
12.Tuilagi
13.Barritt
14.Ashton
15.Kearney

Unless Ashton finds some form quickly, surely Bowe or 1/2p are better options on the wing?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:17 am

Wow!

You managed to fit 4 representatives of the England team into that backline despite, even Ashton, despite their general ineptness, even Scotland are scoring more freely than those guys.

You even shoehorned Corbisiero in above Jenkins and Healy. As well as Morgan over, well, pretty much everyone really.

Heaslip, O'Brien, Faletau, Ryan Jones, Denton will all be more likely to play 8 for the Lions over Fat Boy.

He won't survive the fitness camp that Gatland will put them through before hand. But good effort all the same.!

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:18 am

doctornickolas wrote:Wow!

You managed to fit 4 representatives of the England team into that backline despite, even Ashton, despite their general ineptness, even Scotland are scoring more freely than those guys.

You even shoehorned Corbisiero in above Jenkins and Healy. As well as Morgan over, well, pretty much everyone really.

Heaslip, O'Brien, Faletau, Ryan Jones, Denton will all be more likely to play 8 for the Lions over Fat Boy.

He won't survive the fitness camp that Gatland will put them through before hand. But good effort all the same.!

And he put Barritt and Tuilagi the wrong way round
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:20 am

That would be the first tryless Lions tour then thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:23 am

RubyGuby wrote:That would be the first tryless Lions tour then thumbsup

No, I'm sure Australia would score a few
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:24 am

I think the key question is why are Scotland playing more freely than England and is that a reflection on those players selected or the team tactics/playmakers/quality of ball etc?

For instance Barritt and Manu have played brilliantly, however, they are stuck in a team that is struggling to find any creative attacking play mainly due to a safety first tactical approach and a series of half back combinations with serious flaws.

Having said that I wouldn't have Corbs or Ashton in the team as the first is still raw and easily put on the back foot by experienced tightheads whilst Ashton is plum out of form and hasn't had the game time to get it back following his ban. Prior to his ban he was actually playing very well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:32 am

doctornickolas wrote:.

Cussiter and Blair are very average and will scare no one. Care and Youngs may get a shot if either of them can be bothered. And Conor Murray has been virtually non existent.

Cussiter I would agree with, but Blair has been on fire and is to me the stand out no 9 during this 6 nations.

Every time those two have met in the league, Blair has out played Phillips

Edinburgh are through to the quarters, thanks hugely to Blair finding his old form of several years ago

On this form he is imo the starter for the Lions - unless I want an extra flanker there instead

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:34 am

15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Davies
12 Roberts
11 North
10 Sexton
9 Phillips
8 Denton
6 Ferris
7 Warburton (c)
5 O'Connell
4 Gray
3 Jones
2 Ross
1 Jenkins

Bench: Ross, Best, Ryan, O'Brien, Blair, Priestland, Halfpenny
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:36 am

cricketfan90 wrote:after the re-arrnaged game, and the games from previous weekend when game should have been played, i have changed my mind on my side and think currently side would be:

1.Corbiserio
2.Ford
3.Jones
4.POC
5.Gray
6.Ferris
7.Warburton (c)
8.Morgan
9.Phillips
10.Farrell
11.North
12.Tuilagi
13.Barritt
14.Ashton
15.Kearney

laughing

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:03 am

What a first class wum you are rodders! I think it's Sexton at 10 that probably puts this as the wummiest post of all time although many of the other picks are nearly as laughable. Keep up the good work laughing

roddersm wrote:15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Davies
12 Roberts
11 North
10 Sexton
9 Phillips
8 Denton
6 Ferris
7 Warburton (c)
5 O'Connell
4 Gray
3 Jones
2 Ross
1 Jenkins

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 am

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:What a first class wum you are rodders! I think it's Sexton at 10 that probably puts this as the wummiest post of all time although many of the other picks are nearly as laughable. Keep up the good work laughing

roddersm wrote:15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Davies
12 Roberts
11 North
10 Sexton
9 Phillips
8 Denton
6 Ferris
7 Warburton (c)
5 O'Connell
4 Gray
3 Jones
2 Ross
1 Jenkins

Remind us of your list again so that we can compare and contrast?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 am

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:What a first class wum you are rodders! I think it's Sexton at 10 that probably puts this as the wummiest post of all time although many of the other picks are nearly as laughable. Keep up the good work laughing

Why thank you sir... Cool
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:15 am

Just look back in the thread and you'll find my selection then you can compare and contrast to your heart's content, in a balanced way as you always do of course Smile

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:19 am

You know me? Oh I'm chuffed rather! Wink But I think I might leave the looking back over the thread bit. If you can't be stomached to go back copying and pasting, I don't have the stomach to go back over 1, 2, 3, 4 and five pages. I'm basically more lazy than balanced...me.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 am

Seriously WC I didn't mean to wum...its just my selection policy is that if there is a 50/50 call to favour the non-englishmen..... Wink..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 am

Fly, I undertand as I can't be bothered to either, just take it from that it was a superb and winning selection Wink

Rodders, okay that's good, as recognising the problem is the first step to recovery - keep it up!

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:06 pm

"recognising the problem is the first step to recovery "

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:22 pm

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Fly, I undertand as I can't be bothered to either, just take it from that it was a superb and winning selection Wink

Rodders, okay that's good, as recognising the problem is the first step to recovery - keep it up!

Thats not nice, i am sure if rodders saw a sexy lady then that problem would disappear on its on Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5