The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

+43
RuggerRadge2611
doctornickolas
TJ1
RubyGuby
king_carlos
wales606
maestegmafia
geoff998rugby
Chunky Norwich
eirebilly
The Great Aukster
doctor_grey
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Submachine
Cadair Idris
rhino-dragon
Taffineastbourne
wonder_man
Newsilure
killer938
beshocked
ChequeredJersey
Feckless Rogue
formerly known as Sam
thebluesmancometh
Comfort
Biltong
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
ultra
majesticimperialman
IanBru
RDW
Standulstermen
Glas a du
Knowsit17
SecretFly
dogtooth
Rory_Gallagher
TycroesOsprey
bsando
GavinDragon
47 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 4 Empty Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by GavinDragon Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

this is my lions team after watching the games, many irish players probably miss out due to them having played italy...

15. Hogg
14. any of them
13. Tuilagi
12. morrison d'arcy
11. North
10. Farrell
9. Blair

8. Denton
7. Warburton (Rennie very close to him)
6. Lydiate
5. Gray (PoC very close)
4. Botha/Parling/Hamilton
3. Jones (with cole very close)
2. Ford
1. Jenkins

ive picked based on the numbers theyve played with the exception of gray as there is very little difference postionally between 4 and 5...so at 12 roberts and baritt seemd quiet in comparison with the other two

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 4 Empty Re: Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:43 pm

thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 4 Empty Re: Lions team based on this weekends fixtures

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:45 pm

biltongbek wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Fly, best of luck with this guy. Unless you give in and say Wales are the best team in the world and the lions should consist entirely of the welsh, he will never be happy.

He doesn't really have to agree with me or even be happy. I'm just having fun, Rory Wink Seeing how far logic goes and where it gets lost in the long grass!

This forum is not the place for logic my friend. Wink

It is for fairy tails and fables. thumbsup

Fairy tails 18% - Fables 82% biltong Wink

That thread of yours has sure become famous,you know. I see it quoted everywhere!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Laugh At least it was good for some of us.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:30 am

4 Charteris
5 Gray
6 Ferris
7 Brown
8 Heaslip
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:00 am

15. Kearney
14. Cuthbert
13. Tuilagi
12. JD2
11. North
10. Sexton/Farrell
9. Blair

8. Denton/Heaslip
7. Warburton/Rennie
6. Lydiate/Ferris
5. Gray/POC
4. Charteris
3. Cole/Jones
2. Ford
1. Jenkins

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Some ridiculous suggestions in this thread (in my opinion of course).

But I've been impressed with Ross Ford. I wasn't sure if he could sustain the good form but he appears to be doing so. Could be very close to a starter if he keeps this up.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Very impressed by him too (Ford that is)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 pm

For me Ford and Best are head and shoulders above the other hookers

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:17 pm

eirebilly wrote:
4. Charteris

I must have missed him come on at Twickenham

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Only Ireland in action this week. Kearney was standout again. Bowe not at his best, but showed his try scoring ability once again. Ferris superb again.

POC played his worst game of the season. Sexton was magnificent in defence, but yet again, just can't bring his Leinster form in attack to the Ireland team. There's no standout flyhalf. I thought Heaslip was way below his best again. Is this lower level of performance permanent? I think Faletau will only get better and Heaslip is sliding.

And again, O'BRIEN IS NOT A 7!
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Based on this weekend the whole squad would be Irish.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Based on this weekend the whole squad would be Irish.

laughing
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Based on this week:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Tommy Bowe
10. Jonny Sexton
6. Stephen Ferris
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:46 pm

That side might struggle.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Only Ireland in action this week. Kearney was standout again. Bowe not at his best, but showed his try scoring ability once again. Ferris superb again.

POC played his worst game of the season. Sexton was magnificent in defence, but yet again, just can't bring his Leinster form in attack to the Ireland team. There's no standout flyhalf. I thought Heaslip was way below his best again. Is this lower level of performance permanent? I think Faletau will only get better and Heaslip is sliding.

And again, O'BRIEN IS NOT A 7!

Were you watching the same game as me? 3 turnovers in the first half, with the last one resulting in Bowe's try. Perfect link-man in the game also. Based on that game I have no idea how you could say he isn't a 7. He and Ferris performed brilliantly.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Personally i thought that SOB did an excellent job at 7 in the first half.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:03 pm

His carrying has become ineffective, we can all see that now. He needs to keep improving on his support play and work at the breakdown, but even after today's performance you could see he is improving in that regard. I thought he played brilliantly. I think that is why he looked so annoyed at being brought off for POM. I think Foley may have had something to do with he and Ferris' good performance also.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:13 pm

There are only two areas where I fear for the Lions. Unfortunately, this is front row and fly-half. Any of the likely front row combinations are good and will hold their own. But not world beaters.

Fly half is much more concerning. Looking at all 4 nations, is there one fly-half one could look at be real comfortable with? One fly-half where one can say this man stands with the Lions of old? For me, the answer is no. Flood? No, Farrell? No. Sexton? No. O'Gara? No. Priestland? No. Any of the young up and coming Scotsmen? No.

Heck, I am tempted to ask for Stephen Jones and Jonny one more time. But unfortunately, their time has gone. This is very bad for the Lions.

And amazing this. Becasue I believe at virtually every other position the Lions will be on par or have better talent (obvious exception is at 9). With a lot of choices to pick from.
If the Lions sort out the fly half problem, then I think they will win is Aus. Big.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:41 pm

In Phillips and Sexton we'd have to very good defensive, tackling halfbacks at least.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 pm

doctor_grey wrote:There are only two areas where I fear for the Lions. Unfortunately, this is front row and fly-half. Any of the likely front row combinations are good and will hold their own. But not world beaters.

Fly half is much more concerning. Looking at all 4 nations, is there one fly-half one could look at be real comfortable with? One fly-half where one can say this man stands with the Lions of old? For me, the answer is no. Flood? No, Farrell? No. Sexton? No. O'Gara? No. Priestland? No. Any of the young up and coming Scotsmen? No.

Heck, I am tempted to ask for Stephen Jones and Jonny one more time. But unfortunately, their time has gone. This is very bad for the Lions.

And amazing this. Becasue I believe at virtually every other position the Lions will be on par or have better talent (obvious exception is at 9). With a lot of choices to pick from.
If the Lions sort out the fly half problem, then I think they will win is Aus. Big.

Still plenty of time for the comparative youngsters to become more assured in the helm. Sexton or Priestland will likely be in contention for the starting ten shirt in my opinion.

Not sure what your problem with the front row is?

You didnt elaborate your point. There are a decent number of very good front row players all in contention. Not an area Australia are strong in either.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Duncan Weir may be ready by then. Sexton is quality, Priestland is overrated, as is Farrell, Laidlaw is a defensive liablilty, if Flood can recreate his 2010 form then yes, Cipriani might be in with a shout (he knows Aussie rugby) if he can prove he's not a knob and has fulfilled his potential, other young players might make a step up i.e Leonard (Scotland), Clegg (England), Ford (England), Madigan (Ireland) not sure about Wales tbh

As for the front row Jones, Ford, Jenkins is hardly weak.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:37 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:There are only two areas where I fear for the Lions. Unfortunately, this is front row and fly-half. Any of the likely front row combinations are good and will hold their own. But not world beaters.

Still plenty of time for the comparative youngsters to become more assured in the helm. Sexton or Priestland will likely be in contention for the starting ten shirt in my opinion.

You didnt elaborate your point. There are a decent number of very good front row players all in contention. Not an area Australia are strong in either.

Front row won't be a problem as long as Gethin, Adam and Healy are fit. Wink

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:07 pm

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Front row won't be a problem as long as Gethin, Adam and Healy are fit. Wink

mike Ross was an unsung hero today too, he was up against Poux who is probably in the top three looseheads in the world.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Would disagree that the front row's weak!

Jenkins,Ford,Jones is very strong first choice.
Healy,Best,Ross decent second.
Corbs,Rees,Murray (or Cole) not a bad third - only two of them would travel though (3rd hooker and TH probably) judging by last tour.

Should be pretty strong in my opinion!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 pm

roddersm wrote:Based on this week:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Tommy Bowe
10. Jonny Sexton
6. Stephen Ferris

Johnny Sexton? Realy?

I thought he had a shocker of a game.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:58 pm

I knew if said our prospective front row is anything but great that would get a reaction. What I said was the front row combinations will be good, but not great. And that they will hold their own - which they will. But I don't want to overrate them. A good bunch. A solid bunch, but not the strength of the team (at least as I would select it).

I also said my biggest concern is at 10. As of today, the candidates are a bunch of players who can be good on their day, were good, might come good again, or are still mostly potential. None of the 4 nations have a slam dunk selection, and none where its easy to say the lad is easily world class. I absolutely hope the next year solves this problem for us. Because if it does, I think we will have a Lions tour to remember.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:33 pm

15. Kearney
14. Cuthbert
13. Tuilagi
12. J Davies
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Phillips

8. Denton
7. Warburton
6. Lydiate
5. Gray
4. Evans
3. Jones
2. Best
1. Jenkins

thumbsup You know it makes sense

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:27 am

I agree about the tens. none of the candidates really look like world class players. some may yet become so but need to show

Sexton the best right now. Laidlaw / Weir to come good. Preistland I think we have seen what he has got and its not quite top rank

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:28 am

RubyGuby wrote:
14. Cuthbert

14. Halfpenny
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 am

15. Halfpenny.

If we're just looking to beat Aus by kicking the ball up in the air and making sure someone catches it then yes, Kearney, otherwise I would go for Halfpenny.

He is a much greater attacking threat, much faster, better defensively and of course he brings the goalkicking option as well.

Kearney should have nailed Fofana yesterday but he was just too darn slow to get there and looked like he was running in treacle.

Let the abuse begin ......

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:26 am

I agree with you Dr Nick but we have 9 in there already and I thought it would be a little embarassing - If it was a kick and catch contest Kearney would be Captain, great display yesterday and to be fair he made some incisive runs with no support to back him up. His defense is a little weaker than 1/2p but they are both great options. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 am

Best I thought didn't have his best game against the French. His lineout throwing was a little shaky IMO.

Ford thusfar has been te standout hooker.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 am

No arguments with that Radge thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:49 am

lions team based on this weeks fixture?- errr. the ireland team maybe Lions team based on this weekends fixtures - Page 4 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:51 am

The balanced non anti-English version:

1.Jenkins
2.Hartley
3.Cole
4.POC
5.Botha
6.Robshaw
7.Warburton
8.Denton.... although could be any
9.Blair
10.Farrell
11. North
12.Roberts
13. Tuilagi
14. Strettle
15. Kearney

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 am

A World Cup and 3 Finals - Your posts are always entertaining - well done - I do think you are being a little over generous with your inclusion of 4 welshmen though thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:58 am

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:The balanced non anti-English version:

1.Jenkins
2.Hartley Ford
3.Cole Jones
4.POC
5.Botha Gray
6.Robshaw Ferris
7.Warburton/Rennie
8. could be any
9.Blair
10.Farrell
11. North
12.Roberts
13. Tuilagi/JD
14. Strettle Bowe
15. Kearney

Helped you out a little mate since your team was not picking the form players.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:01 am

doctornickolas wrote:15. Halfpenny.

If we're just looking to beat Aus by kicking the ball up in the air and making sure someone catches it then yes, Kearney, otherwise I would go for Halfpenny.

He is a much greater attacking threat, much faster, better defensively and of course he brings the goalkicking option as well.

Kearney should have nailed Fofana yesterday but he was just too darn slow to get there and looked like he was running in treacle.

Halpenny will have three more shots at Australia this year (if he's fit and playing) Let's wait until then before we talk of him replacing a player who was involved in a team that did beat Australia.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:01 am

I'll give you Bowe over Strettle, but only because I'm a nice guy, but for the other changes, you're way off the mark. cuppa

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:17 am

Tom Biggs as the non cap player.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:32 am

SecretFly wrote:

Halpenny will have three more shots at Australia this year (if he's fit and playing) Let's wait until then before we talk of him replacing a player who was involved in a team that did beat Australia.

Chris Ashton is 2-1 against Australia, yet everyones talking about shooting him in the head...

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:40 am

SecretFly wrote:

On that logic, Halfpenny is involved with a team that beat Ireland 3 times in a row therefore Halfpenny gets the vote!

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:43 am

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:I'll give you Bowe over Strettle, but only because I'm a nice guy, but for the other changes, you're way off the mark. cuppa

Yeah, Gray, he's rubbish *sarcasm mode*
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 am

doctornickolas wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

On that logic, Halfpenny is involved with a team that beat Ireland 3 times in a row therefore Halfpenny gets the vote!

No, the Lions aren't playing Ireland...they're playing Australia;) Let's see the three games to come and then decide.

Halfpenny is a very good player in a potent team. Kearney is a potent player in a useless team.

It's the team dynamic that dictates how Ireland and Wales are performing in the last few years - not a large divergence in player ability. Kearney in a Lions side would be a different beast to the one he is in Ireland - namely he'd have players rushing in to carry on his work and make him look even more effective. Right now, the Irish management seem to be happy enough with the bullfighter Horrahs!!!! everytime he leaps for the ball, wins it with nothing around him for a mile to give it meaning. We in Ireland are hoping the conductor changes his tune or we go buy ourselves a new conductor.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:53 am

Not being in the "Lions 15" does not make a player rubbish. I like Gray a lot but he needs to offer a bit more in the tight to edge the other 2 guys selected.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 am

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Not being in the "Lions 15" does not make a player rubbish. I like Gray a lot but he needs to offer a bit more in the tight to edge the other 2 guys selected.

I personally disagree, he'd be in my World 22 at least
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:05 am

SecretFly wrote:.......No, the Lions aren't playing Ireland...they're playing Australia;) Let's see the three games to come and then decide.....
I think this is a very good point. If we want to see which of the Welsh lads are really in the queue for a Lions tour to Oz, then we can see them on audition this June. That will go a long way to make selection choices, especially since this is a three match series.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:08 am

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Not being in the "Lions 15" does not make a player rubbish. I like Gray a lot but he needs to offer a bit more in the tight to edge the other 2 guys selected.

Nonsense.

I would say he is currently better than POC in every facet of the game except leadership and experience. He is bigger, stronger, faster and fitter. Only lost 1 lineout in the 6N thusfar too whilst stealing/disrupting 5 of the oppositions.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Nonsense.

I would say he is currently better than POC in every facet of the game except leadership and experience. He is bigger, stronger, faster and fitter. Only lost 1 lineout in the 6N thusfar too whilst stealing/disrupting 5 of the oppositions.

Better than Paul O'Connell? O'Connell is one of the few Irish players performing miracles, when our backs, our forwards, and our strength and conditioning coaches are no longer present and our gameplan is a shambles. He coaches during the week and plays at the weekend with some tour-de-force performances so far.

Gray better? A few Irish players are putting a hand up for Lions involvment (very few so far in my opinion!) A few English and Scottish ones.. and the bulk Welsh. I'm not an Irish player for every position champion on these Lions threads but 'Gray better than O'Connell' will have the Australians hoping that belief sticks and Gray not O'Connell walks onto the pitch to meet them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 am

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:The balanced non anti-English version:

1.Jenkins
2.Hartley
3.Cole
4.POC
5.Botha
6.Robshaw
7.Warburton
8.Denton.... although could be any
9.Blair
10.Farrell
11. North
12.Roberts
13. Tuilagi
14. Strettle
15. Kearney

Just slipped in 2 Irishmen to hide the Wind up ...good one.

Hartley, Robshaw, Cole, Botha, Blair, Strettle ...your having a giraffe

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next