The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now?

+14
break_in_the_fifth
laverfan
amritia3ee
Henman Bill
bogbrush
socal1976
Josiah Maiestas
noleisthebest
gallery play
hawkeye
newballs
barrystar
Tenez
sirfredperry
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now? Empty Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now?

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 pm

After a few weeks off, Novak Djokovic returns to ATP World Tour action this week at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, where he aims to defend his title against a field that includes seven other members of the top 10.

Based upon the form and fight Djokovic showed at the 2012 Australian Open, it'll be a tough task for anyone in the field to top him. However, that seems to be the norm for more than a year now as he's become as close to unbeatable as one can imagine.

What is it that has Djokovic on such a tear? Hall-of-Famers Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal only have one win against him combined since the start of 2011.

Djokovic has always had one of the best baseline games in the business. Aside from the power he's able to generate off both the forehand and backhand side, he mixes up speeds effectively. Djokovic can rally with heavy topspin or hit penetrating slices if necessary. His cross-court strokes are textbook, but when the opening is there, Djokovic will rip a shot down the line for a winner or put his opponent on the defence.

To set up the baseline rallies on his terms, though, it all starts with the serve and return. He's not Ivo Karlovic out there, but Djokovic serves more than his fair share of aces. His second serve has improved as well, which puts pressure on his foes to try to break him. If the player on the opposite side of the net isn't going to crack the Djokovic serve, that gets him thinking more about his own service games. The Serbian is ready to pounce at the first chance he gets.

Much has been made, too, about Djokovic's improved fitness, particularly in regard to his diet as it's allowed him to stay on the court more. He still suffers injuries from time to time, which can be traced to his physical style of play, but he fights through them.

And that might be the main reason why no one seems to be able to figure out how to beat Djokovic right now. The amount of fight he's showing out on the court is off the charts. Players have had the world No. 1 on the ropes at points in the past few months, but he's managed to dig deep and pull out the win, taking it one match at a time.

Doing that results in a lot of victories and trophies being won—and leaves Djokovic's opponents wondering what they can do to stop him.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1080118-novak-djokovic-why-can-nobody-beat-the-worlds-no-1-right-now

Back to top Go down

Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now? Empty Re: Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now?

Post by sirfredperry Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Djoko appears the right player for the current conditions. He's got himself super fit, super fast and - most importantly - super confident. While Fed is not quite good enough to topple him, Rafa is being beaten at his own game.
Djoko has always had a bit of cockiness about him which is no bad thing in the dog-eat-dog world of professional tennis. He has also added an extra, attacking dimension to an-already very steady game. Chuck all this into the mix and it goes a long way to explain his current dominance. But will it last?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now? Empty Re: Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now?

Post by Tenez Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Very complete player....without the x factor. His weakness is his hair cut.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Tenez wrote:Very complete player....without the x factor. His weakness is his hair cut.

I would say.. very complete baseliner but certainly not all that complete as an all-rounder. Poor net game and poor transition. Agree that he doesn't have the x-factor, but has become phenomenally consistent from the baseline and has incredible stamina.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Answer to OP, apart from his volleying which is relatively unimportant and at least adequate for today's game, can you spot a weakness anywhere? His best weapons are amongst the best there are, his 'lesser' weapons are all still very high quality and he marries them with supreme fitness, belief, and will to win.

Even so - as his recent 5-set victories over his closest rivals have shown he can't rest for a moment if he's going to stay ahead of them - perhaps the fact that he seems to relish that challenge is his greatest strength?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Maybe because he's just too good right now?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:36 pm

emancipator wrote:
Tenez wrote:Very complete player....without the x factor. His weakness is his hair cut.

I would say.. very complete baseliner but certainly not all that complete as an all-rounder. Poor net game and poor transition. Agree that he doesn't have the x-factor, but has become phenomenally consistent from the baseline and has incredible stamina.

Sure but having to come to the net to volley can be seen as a weakness nowadays.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Y I Man

I suspect you are just asking for trouble...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:57 pm

hawkeye wrote:Y I Man

I suspect you are just asking for trouble...
No, im just adding new articles to the section. OK

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:00 pm

You have to blitz him. Problem is: with his serve, return and retrieval skills that’s almost impossible, especially in a best of five match. On the other hand: take away 4% of his fitness and we’ll have the indoor season Djoko again: only human. But it seems he found the "super fit switch" and uses it everytime he wants to.
I wouldn't put my money on it but there's a realistic chance he'll clean up the slams this year.
Fed'll beat him at the OG though Wink

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:02 pm

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Nole most definitely doesn't look unbeatable. He squeaked through to win in his last two slams (match points down against fed in the USO and nearly beaten by Murray and Nadal in Oz). Fed in his dominant years looked unbeatable for long spells and nadal in '10 also looked unbeatable for a stretch. I don't get that impression with Novak at all. I actually get the feeling that his reign is shaky, which might sound odd given how successful he's been over the last 14 months. A few hard losses and I expect the old Nole will reappear. I may be wrong of course; we shall see.

ghost

emancipator - Oh divine sylvia where is your inspiration? It is all darkness and despaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaair

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm

gallery play wrote:You have to blitz him. Problem is: with his serve, return and retrieval skills that’s almost impossible, especially in a best of five match. On the other hand: take away 4% of his fitness and we’ll have the indoor season Djoko again: only human. But it seems he found the "super fit switch" and uses it everytime he wants to.
I wouldn't put my money on it but there's a realistic chance he'll clean up the slams this year.

Indoor season Nole was not unfit, he played after coming back from a serious injury during which he hasn't played for 6 weeks. Nole usually creams the end of year.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:55 pm

That will change at the french open OP. The clay tends to take away some of Novak's important facets of his game. Novak is nearly unbeatable on hardcourts, but on clay a few can outplay him.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:16 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
gallery play wrote:You have to blitz him. Problem is: with his serve, return and retrieval skills that’s almost impossible, especially in a best of five match. On the other hand: take away 4% of his fitness and we’ll have the indoor season Djoko again: only human. But it seems he found the "super fit switch" and uses it everytime he wants to.

Indoor season Nole was not unfit, he played after coming back from a serious injury during which he hasn't played for 6 weeks. Nole usually creams the end of year.

You mean like in 2010?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:29 pm

gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

You mean like in 2010?

He won TMC in 2008, Shanghai, Paris in 2009, Basel, Bejing...don't try to make a non-existing case...IN 2010 he won Davis Cup, that was his major priority.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:51 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
gallery play wrote:
noleisthebest wrote:

You mean like in 2010?

He won TMC in 2008, Shanghai, Paris in 2009, Basel, Bejing...don't try to make a non-existing case...IN 2010 he won Davis Cup, that was his major priority.

I think your statement "Nole usually creams the end of year" is rather exaggerated
Indoor is his worst surface: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Novak-Djokovic.aspx?t=mr

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Nadal played like a 50 ranked player when he had the 4-2 lead in final set.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:09 pm

barrystar wrote:Answer to OP, apart from his volleying which is relatively unimportant and at least adequate for today's game, can you spot a weakness anywhere? His best weapons are amongst the best there are, his 'lesser' weapons are all still very high quality and he marries them with supreme fitness, belief, and will to win.

Even so - as his recent 5-set victories over his closest rivals have shown he can't rest for a moment if he's going to stay ahead of them - perhaps the fact that he seems to relish that challenge is his greatest strength?

A very good post by barry. Novak while not a world beating volleyer has become a competent one. He volleys well out of a position of strength when comes up on his own terms. Which in today's game will get it done for you. The faults emancipator finds in Novak's game (ie slice, volleys, and serve) are overstated by him. He is not an overwhelming server but a good one. Especially his second serve which is one of the best in the business. Slice backhand is not as bad as emancipator makes out either although it could use some work.

Barrystar you make a good point in that the lesser weapons are better, as are the strengths of his game. Great forehand, backhand, return, and speed. And the confidence of winning so many close 5 set matches against the best only makes him mentally tougher.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm

AGain have to agree with Nitb's take on this. This mythical Novak weakness in the indoor season is just Love sacks. He has won Basel, Shanghai (when it was the year end masters cup), Paris, and Beijing. Basically, every major indoor event out there.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm

I reckon Djokovic is the bendiest of all the players. He does the splits, he bends forwards, backwards, he twists his body, he bends his ankles. Yep the bendiest player ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I reckon Djokovic is the bendiest of all the players. He does the splits, he bends forwards, backwards, he twists his body, he bends his ankles. Yep the bendiest player ever.

Mac also made a big deal about his flexibility as really helping him on returns and defense.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:33 pm

It's a dominant year or so, but we've seen greater dominance than this.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Nore Staat wrote:I reckon Djokovic is the bendiest of all the players. He does the splits, he bends forwards, backwards, he twists his body, he bends his ankles. Yep the bendiest player ever.

AAAAAnd, he's got the bendiest fans, I've got double joints, you should see me pull my fingers back Smile

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Djokovic for me is set apart by: strength on both wings, consistency, mental strength, physical strength and no weaknesses.

If Federer and Nadal, or Murray, play at their very best they can beat him but realistically Djokovic's level needs to drop for these victories to be more than occassional. They could hope for a jittery serve or physical problems maybe.

Djokovic to remain no 1 until proven otherwise.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Djokovic is a good player but he doesn't do anything special. Consistant taking the ball early, good or rather great at rythmic baseline ralleys. He has had a great year winning at least a couple of matches by the skin of his teeth. After the US Open last year he had a win loss ratio of 7-5. He is hardly invincible.

In the past IMO he was underated but now just like his family his fans do a lot of chest beating and talking up. IMO Federer and Nadal are superior all round players and it is not just them who are capable of beating him. I also think his fans do him no favours with their inflated expectations. He is not good at dealing with such pressure and he is already under the most pressure he has ever experienced.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:02 pm

hawkeye wrote:Djokovic is a good player but he doesn't do anything special. Consistant taking the ball early, good or rather great at rythmic baseline ralleys. He has had a great year winning at least a couple of matches by the skin of his teeth. After the US Open last year he had a win loss ratio of 7-5. He is hardly invincible.

In the past IMO he was underated but now just like his family his fans do a lot of chest beating and talking up. IMO Federer and Nadal are superior all round players and it is not just them who are capable of beating him. I also think his fans do him no favours with their inflated expectations. He is not good at dealing with such pressure and he is already under the most pressure he has ever experienced.

Can't agree here with this post. Djokovic does a lot that we can see is "special". Best backhand in the game, Murray very close. Best on tour at changing direction on the ball and going up the line off both wings consistently very special. Breaking serve at nearly 50 percent at this early juncture of the year. And in recent years his forehand has become an incredible shot. When he really lets loose on the forehand he cranks some shots that are really jaw dropping and the shot is now more consistent. Delving deeper in the game he is also one of the best drop shotter and lobbers in the game. I particularly like his crafty use of what I call the old man's special play. Drop shot followed by the backhand lob. Also a very incredible mover. If none of this is special then I don't know what is.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 pm

What is interesting about Djokovic is that he had no deadly weapon and before he became teh number 1 player, not many foresaw his rise to the top as many saw Murray getting there before him.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:35 pm

In 09 Tenez do you remember how much flak you would have gotten if you said Djoko was better than Murray on old 606? That was when Andy had a 3 match win streak in masters against Novak and Novak was slumping in his game. Eventhough Novak had a slam back then as well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Social1976

When I said Djokovic doesn't do anything special I didn't mean he he doesn't do anything well. By special I meant something unique that makes him stand out from the rest.

Djokovic has a great backhand but even you likened it to Murrays. He is great at changing direction on the ball but so are (or were... ) Davydenko and Nalbandian. Only a fan would want to point out his drop shot as special and of course he had good stats at the beginning of last year.

I know from this you will presume that I don't appreciate Djokovic but I do. It's just that I saw his good points before last year. Then he was often dismissed. In fact a common view was that he was inferior to Murray. Now despite his basic game not changing but because of his success so many are seeing the same thing differenty.

I do also wonder how he will cope with the pressure of maintaining his form. Particluarly with all the over hyped expectation of his nationalistic and patriotic home fans. He is such a big fish in the home pond of Serbia It could all prove to be too much.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Tenez wrote:What is interesting about Djokovic is that he had no deadly weapon and before he became teh number 1 player, not many foresaw his rise to the top as many saw Murray getting there before him.

Belief is Novak's deadly weapon. Most people have no idea how potent belief can be.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:40 pm

socal1976 wrote:In 09 Tenez do you remember how much flak you would have gotten if you said Djoko was better than Murray on old 606? That was when Andy had a 3 match win streak in masters against Novak and Novak was slumping in his game. Eventhough Novak had a slam back then as well.

I remember... Cool

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 pm

noleisthebest

Belief that you are invinsible or somehow have destiny on your side is foolish to say the least. As I said in my previous comment Nole suffers and will suffer far too much because of other peoples belief.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:49 pm

hawkeye wrote:noleisthebest

Belief that you are invinsible or somehow have destiny on your side is foolish to say the least. As I said in my previous comment Nole suffers and will suffer far too much because of other peoples belief.

You hang around me like a bad smell HE, you really do...here, on tennis.com under various different names, haven't you got a life?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 pm

Nadal says in his interview yesterday that everything indicates that Djokovic will have a lot of victories ahead of but you never know because tennis is a mentally and physically tough sport and anything can happen, e.g. injury.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Ha ha. You just dont like it when others dont share your opinions. And I don't know what you mean about different names. I presume your referring to anyone that doesn't share your adoration of Novak.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Y I Man

I did say you were asking for trouble...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by amritia3ee Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 am

noleisthebest wrote:
hawkeye wrote:noleisthebest

Belief that you are invinsible or somehow have destiny on your side is foolish to say the least.

You hang around me like a bad smell HE, you really do...here, on tennis.com under various different names, haven't you got a life?
Oh just shut up NITB. Are we here to discuss about Djokovic or take another opportunity to have a random rant at nadal fans?

As for the thread, very interesting article Y I Man. I believe Djokovic has played great tennis for the last year but the gap on him and the rest is closing. In both US and AO he scrambled back numerous times from the brink if defeat. He can't keep on doing that.
amritia3ee
amritia3ee

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 am

amritia3ee wrote:...or take another opportunity to have a random rant at nadal fans?

How can anyone have a random rant at Parera=YouKnowWho? Laugh

amritia3ee wrote:He can't keep on doing that.

No one can. Laugh. They come, leave their mark and name in annals of Tennis History, and move on.

"On the shoulders of giants..." and all that. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:03 am

Social1976

When I said Djokovic doesn't do anything special I didn't mean he he doesn't do anything well.By special I meant something unique that makes him stand out from the rest.

Hawkeye

Well here I disagree he has been the best returner in the game in 2010 and 2011. He went on a 40 match win streak, won 3 slams. I saw a show yesterday that rated the forehand return he hit against Fed at the USO as the shot of the year. If the singular best returner in the game is not special then no one on tour does anything special, Federer included. What area of Fed's game would you rate as best on the tour anymore? Its a matter of taste frankly. The more apt statement is that what Novak does that is special is not valued as much by you as by others and maybe his style isn't exactly to your likeing. Don't mistake your preference for a style of play or player as lack of something special. If the guy with the arguably the best backhand in the game and the best return in the game doesn't have anything special than no one on tour does.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:09 am

socal1976 wrote:Social1976

When I said Djokovic doesn't do anything special I didn't mean he he doesn't do anything well.By special I meant something unique that makes him stand out from the rest.

Hawkeye

Well here I disagree he has been the best returner in the game in 2010 and 2011. He went on a 40 match win streak, won 3 slams. I saw a show yesterday that rated the forehand return he hit against Fed at the USO as the shot of the year. If the singular best returner in the game is not special then no one on tour does anything special, Federer included. What area of Fed's game would you rate as best on the tour anymore? Its a matter of taste frankly. The more apt statement is that what Novak does that is special is not valued as much by you as by others and maybe his style isn't exactly to your likeing. Don't mistake your preference for a style of play or player as lack of something special. If the guy with the arguably the best backhand in the game and the best return in the game doesn't have anything special than no one on tour does.

He needs to play with his other hand and less variety...

As for the OP, people can beat him, they just haven't.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:13 am

noleisthebest wrote:
socal1976 wrote:In 09 Tenez do you remember how much flak you would have gotten if you said Djoko was better than Murray on old 606? That was when Andy had a 3 match win streak in masters against Novak and Novak was slumping in his game. Eventhough Novak had a slam back then as well.

I remember... Cool

Yep, I did a thread back then comparing Nadal and Murray on old 606 and I rated Novak better, I remember the flak I got. Of course to be fair it was a british site and Murray had beaten Novak in 3 masters in a row with Novak slumping on serve. But even then I never thought Andy was better than him.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 am

Funnily enough even after all this I still think Andy is better than him, well 2008 Andy anyway.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by jersey Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:20 pm

gallery play wrote: there's a realistic chance he'll clean up the slams this year.

Agreed. Nobody can beat Djokovic at the slams anymore.

emancipator wrote:Nole most definitely doesn't look unbeatable.

He has become unbeatable at the slams.

Henman Bill wrote:

Agree.

Henman Bill wrote:Nadal says in his interview yesterday that everything indicates that Djokovic will have a lot of victories ahead of but you never know because tennis is a mentally and physically tough sport and anything can happen, e.g. injury.

Nole is not injury prone like Nadal.

Belief that you are invinsible or somehow have destiny on your side is foolish to say the least.

Djokovic is invincible at the slams.

As for the thread, very interesting article Y I Man. I believe Djokovic has played great tennis for the last year but the gap on him and the rest is closing. In both US and AO he scrambled back numerous times from the brink if defeat. He can't keep on doing that.

He will keep winning all the slams he wants. He is the best player on tour by far. He is the mentally strongest. He is #1.

jersey

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:26 pm

jersey

All the other players are just wasting their time. They should all retire. Tennis as we know it has finished.

Y I Man please shut the tennis section of 606v2 there is nothing more to discuss...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by paulcz Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Jersey
I fully agree with your latest statement, Nole is mentally the strongest player I have ever seen. I do think he does not have the strongest nerves, but he does not have any Cool

paulcz

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:48 am

I can nearly always spot a Djokovic fan by their user name.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:20 am

Y I Man please shut the tennis section of 606v2 there is nothing more to discuss...
might aswell do it if nadal ever beats novak again, give nadal fans something to shout about in the dominationary novak era.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:21 am

hawkeye wrote:Y I Man please shut the tennis section of 606v2 there is nothing more to discuss...

No! please don't! Some of us still have to clarify a few things on the strengths and weaknesses of various eras.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:30 am

jersey wrote:
gallery play wrote: there's a realistic chance he'll clean up the slams this year.

Agreed. Nobody can beat Djokovic at the slams anymore.

emancipator wrote:Nole most definitely doesn't look unbeatable.

He has become unbeatable at the slams.

Henman Bill wrote:

Agree.

Henman Bill wrote:Nadal says in his interview yesterday that everything indicates that Djokovic will have a lot of victories ahead of but you never know because tennis is a mentally and physically tough sport and anything can happen, e.g. injury.

Nole is not injury prone like Nadal.

Djokovic is invincible at the slams.

He will keep winning all the slams he wants. He is the best player on tour by far. He is the mentally strongest. He is #1.

Ok jersey. Great. You sound like a casual tennis fan riding on a wagon. If you aren't, just remember what all you just said. We will discuss about, but not now. atm you can enjoy with whatever you want to think.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next