The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now?

+14
break_in_the_fifth
laverfan
amritia3ee
Henman Bill
bogbrush
socal1976
Josiah Maiestas
noleisthebest
gallery play
hawkeye
newballs
barrystar
Tenez
sirfredperry
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now? - Page 2 Empty Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now?

Post by Guest Tue 28 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

After a few weeks off, Novak Djokovic returns to ATP World Tour action this week at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, where he aims to defend his title against a field that includes seven other members of the top 10.

Based upon the form and fight Djokovic showed at the 2012 Australian Open, it'll be a tough task for anyone in the field to top him. However, that seems to be the norm for more than a year now as he's become as close to unbeatable as one can imagine.

What is it that has Djokovic on such a tear? Hall-of-Famers Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal only have one win against him combined since the start of 2011.

Djokovic has always had one of the best baseline games in the business. Aside from the power he's able to generate off both the forehand and backhand side, he mixes up speeds effectively. Djokovic can rally with heavy topspin or hit penetrating slices if necessary. His cross-court strokes are textbook, but when the opening is there, Djokovic will rip a shot down the line for a winner or put his opponent on the defence.

To set up the baseline rallies on his terms, though, it all starts with the serve and return. He's not Ivo Karlovic out there, but Djokovic serves more than his fair share of aces. His second serve has improved as well, which puts pressure on his foes to try to break him. If the player on the opposite side of the net isn't going to crack the Djokovic serve, that gets him thinking more about his own service games. The Serbian is ready to pounce at the first chance he gets.

Much has been made, too, about Djokovic's improved fitness, particularly in regard to his diet as it's allowed him to stay on the court more. He still suffers injuries from time to time, which can be traced to his physical style of play, but he fights through them.

And that might be the main reason why no one seems to be able to figure out how to beat Djokovic right now. The amount of fight he's showing out on the court is off the charts. Players have had the world No. 1 on the ropes at points in the past few months, but he's managed to dig deep and pull out the win, taking it one match at a time.

Doing that results in a lot of victories and trophies being won—and leaves Djokovic's opponents wondering what they can do to stop him.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1080118-novak-djokovic-why-can-nobody-beat-the-worlds-no-1-right-now

Back to top Go down

Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now?

Post by legendkillar Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:44 am

I think the major weapon is the BH down the line. He manages to hit it off the wings and hits it very flat against the rest. The key at Slams has been his conditioning and peaking when it matters. He is doing what Federer and Nadal have done and that is being able to save the best tennis for when it matters. Let's not get carried away. 2012 hasn't seen him play 'brilliant' tennis. I think come end of Miami we shall see exactly where he is and just how close to him the rest of the field is. Against Nadal and Murray this year he has been fortunate that they played so poorly in Australia as I think if they had played to their levels might have seen the results be slightly different.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why Can Nobody Beat the World No 1 Right Now?

Post by sirfredperry Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:53 am

L'killar
"Against Nadal and Murray this year he has been fortunate that they played so poorly in Australia"

Were they that bad ? I seem to recall that they detained Nole for nearly five hours and nearly six hours respectively. Doesn't seem too bad to me, although I did not see either match.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 02 Mar 2012, 9:55 am

fred.

It was poor tennis. The duration of the matches does not paint a true reflection of the matches.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:06 am

I was on holiday, but most were raving about the semi and the final. Some, though, said the final was not so wonderful as everyone was making out. Was it just the longevity and the drama and the twists and turns - all of which can, sometimes, make a match great - that persuaded so many people ?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:13 am

I agree with LK, it was not great tennis. Great drama maybe but fans usually don't make the difference.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:22 am

It is drama if you are a paying fan and want 5 setters. The issues in both the semi and final was that Djokovic wasn't expansive with his play. Murray had the match in his grasp and threw it away with poor play and tactics. His encounter with Nadal was strange given he could've easily ended the match in 4 if he had gone for his shots, but he simply soaked up the Nadal pressure and hit him when he was tankered. Both Nadal and Murray tactically got it wrong, but that said Djokovic didn't in those 2 matches for me look confident whatsoever.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:35 pm

Logical fail for the OP. Wink
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Mar 2012, 2:57 pm

Laugh
I've been waiting for that comment!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

Nah, who says nobody can beat Djoko right now? Murray just did! In fact, Djoko looked rather bored all week, even struggled a little and very beatable compared to just a month ago. Today he had lots of errors, quite uncharacteristic. Weariness seems to have set in. I guess he’s just as human as the next player after all. From the get-go, Novak never looked like he was going to win vs Murray. The Scott was the one with the oomph for a change. That good to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

Have to agree common sense. Andy was the hungrier player and it showed in this match. Novak seemed a little too content with a poor result, but you can't blame him, I think this year he wants to focus on the slams and the olympics and maybe not kill himself in every 500 pointer or Master's event. One of those rare days lately when the Djoko forehand was completely off.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:20 pm

the chicken took it's egg home to hatch, nothing to see here guys move along.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

socal1976 wrote:Have to agree common sense. Andy was the hungrier player and it showed in this match. Novak seemed a little too content with a poor result, but you can't blame him, I think this year he wants to focus on the slams and the olympics and maybe not kill himself in every 500 pointer or Master's event. One of those rare days lately when the Djoko forehand was completely off.
Of course, Djokovic lost it rather than Murray won it.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 02 Mar 2012, 3:45 pm

bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Have to agree common sense. Andy was the hungrier player and it showed in this match. Novak seemed a little too content with a poor result, but you can't blame him, I think this year he wants to focus on the slams and the olympics and maybe not kill himself in every 500 pointer or Master's event. One of those rare days lately when the Djoko forehand was completely off.
at first I thought it was a comment in denial, then I looked his username.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:31 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
bogbrush wrote:
at first I thought it was a comment in denial, then I looked his username.

socal is right, and you all know it Cool Still, Murray made it happen, good for him and his fans, esp for Lendl's bank account....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 02 Mar 2012, 4:41 pm

only kidding, probably Novak needs a break from dodgy Dubai dinery. Murray is simply very good when it comes to 3 set hc tournaments, Novak was easily below his best. Nothing to see here.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2