The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...!

+21
glamorganalun
Cymroglan
manofgwent
Morgannwg
thebluesmancometh
3rdGrandslamCame
bedfordwelsh
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
wales606
Coleman
BigTrevsbigmac
Welshmushroom
gowales
Totallybiasedscarlet
Cardiff Dave
JayMaster3000
Casartelli
Shifty
Jenifer McLadyboy
maestegmafia
25 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...! Empty Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...!

Post by maestegmafia Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Since regional rugby started in 2003 these results have been achieved by the all four of the regions:

- 7 Quarter-finals in Europe

- 2 Semi-finals in Europe

- 13 top four placements in Celtic League with three championship titles

- Two championship titles in Anglo-Welsh and two runners-up places

That is apparently resulting in Welsh Rugby Success rate in the Six Nations that has gone from 30% in 2000-2003 to 60% from 2004 - 2012.

We have more young academy players playing in the upper echelons of the game than ever before, the regional and National sides have an average age younger than ever before.

We know that Wales and its regions can do better, but it is not all doom and gloom is it...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...! Empty Re: Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...!

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:17 pm

clap

finally a positive regions thread!

Was fed up all the doom and gloom.

What I would say is that this is a very good starting point now for the regions to build on, we're doing okay so far, but we've got sooo SO much room to improve.

Onwards and upwards Smile

Back to top Go down

Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...! Empty Re: Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...!

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

It's even more positive than you thought. Scarlets won it and Ospreys x 3 that makes 4.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:33 pm

well spotted Jen! can't believe as a Scarlets fan I did not pick up on that, major oops.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:33 pm

rugbydreamer wrote: clap

See the Welsh are always looking to hurt themselves not look at the good things! thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:46 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote: clap

See the Welsh are always looking to hurt themselves not look at the good things! thumbsup

Alyn it is always better to be understated...! We would be the last nation to lord our triumphs over another's lesser fortunes...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:49 pm

Stuart Gallacher had a good rant the other day, I am looking for a link.

He chastised a JPR article as absolute Hogwash, Japes is not a regional fan.

I think it has been fantastic for Wales, resurgent. Hopefully our string of Grandslamming achievements are recognition for such.

Whoops, Alyn I've gone and accidentally written the opposite to what I posted above

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Problem is - national success has nothing, whatsoever, to do with 'regionalism'.

It's about having a decent coach (Ruddock/Gatland/Edwards).

How is having two irrelevant superclubs (Newport & Llanelli) and two underachievers (Cardiff & Ospreys) contributing to the test team? There is no correlation between them.

Gallacher/Gallagher hasn't the credentials, experience, intellect or knowledge to run an under-8s mini team - yet he gets TV air-time spouting absolute garbage on something he knows nothing about.

Totally taken the shine off the Grand Slam. Thanks Stu.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by JayMaster3000 Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Of course has to do with the regions. It those teams that are providing the environment for these players to better themselves. While playing most weeks help I think a bigger factor is the depth that Wales now have, which of course is down to the regions.

Are you saying that the Scarlets had nothing to do with the development of North or Priestland? You're kidding yourself.

Another thing I'll throw out for debate is that Gatland in a bad coach, no, actually, an awful coach. My grandmother could coach Wales right now and win a grand slam. I would put money on if Stephen Jones didn't get injured during the RWC he would be still in the team today. And let's not forget the 10 game losing streak that Wales went through and that no matter how bad Phillips and Roberts played Gatland would not drop them.
I argue that it is Edwards who is the magic behind the scenes. Look at that defence, great, 10 out of 10.
Would anyone really suggest that if Edwards was head coach Wales would ever miss Gatland?
Just a thought.

JayMaster3000

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 pm

No mention of £££'s.
How typically Welsh as if £££'s don't matter.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 pm

censored

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Casartelli wrote:Problem is - national success has nothing, whatsoever, to do with 'regionalism'.

It's about having a decent coach (Ruddock/Gatland/Edwards).

How is having two irrelevant superclubs (Newport & Llanelli) and two underachievers (Cardiff & Ospreys) contributing to the test team? There is no correlation between them.

Gallacher/Gallagher hasn't the credentials, experience, intellect or knowledge to run an under-8s mini team - yet he gets TV air-time spouting absolute garbage on something he knows nothing about.

Totally taken the shine off the Grand Slam. Thanks Stu.

Sorry, but this is to be disingenuous to the work that is going on at these outfits. However the less I hear from Stuart Gallagher the better. The regions would do well to kick this man into the long grass. Brought the Scarlets to its' knees and nearly killed us completely. Proper numpty!
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:24 pm

rugbydreamer wrote: censored

No. This is not cricket. The money thing is something the Welshies should start to get their head around. Otherwise Welsh input is just.... Welsh. Baaaa!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Sure Scarlets have been really open about their money situation.

Due to break even next year, and dear lord I hope so. Those two blydi court cases really screwed us up.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:43 pm

Good news RD...!

Lots of hard work has been undertaken to get to that situation too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:49 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Sure Scarlets have been really open about their money situation.

Due to break even next year, and dear lord I hope so. Those two blydi court cases really screwed us up.

Apologies Dreamer, I know we've had this convo previously - but if they breakeven next year at what point in the future can they start generating enough cash to commence repaying the £4m debt to the council?

If they're only breaking even and not making a profit/surplus then it's not really a commercially viable arrangement any time soon is it?

Welsh rugby cannot hope to survive in this current structure.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Sure Scarlets have been really open about their money situation.

Cardiff Blues accounts are almost a month late. Rumour is they lost £2,000,000 (half a pro squad) in one year. Welsh players are leaving because Cardiff cannot afford to keep them. Welsh fans should ask why?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 am

Whatever the case may be no one cares about regional rugby. And that probably isn't going to change. As great as our national success is, it's not going to transfer through to the regions with crowds or results.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 am

Well if I was in the WRU I would ask how these teams are spending their money. Essentially they are all given 3.75 milllion (with a cap of 3.5 million coming in). That means that essentially 250k contribute directly to running costs. Ok granted this money includes the TV money and HC particpation money.

So given that Season Tickets, merchandising, sponsorship & one off ticket sales is currently not enough to cover running the region. They must have seriously over leaveraged their costs.

Now I had heard Gatland talk a year ago about the fact that all 4 Regions are paying around 1 Million a year (combined) in agent fees. I fail to see how they can afford to do that. Surely Agent fees would need to be agreed? This is just money leaving the game.

Of the 4 Regions, 3 of them all play brand new stadiums (which they cant fill) and 2 of them are paying a fortune to do so with no real requirement for them. The management took a gamble thinking they would fill it and it didnt work. This again was a poor gamble. They should have slowly increased the stadiums when the demand was there similar to how Leicester developed their stadium.

I appreciate that staff are probably costing them a lot but there is no doubt in my mind that there are some seriously poor decisions made by their management boards.

The Dragons are probably the only region who have spent their money wisely and developed slowly. They have the best atmosphere at match day of all the regions. Sadly though the wRU may very well opt to cut to 3 with us being the casualties.

Gallagher and Norster are both numpties. Both are staunch supporters of overseas signings. I fail to see any justification in overseas signings now that we are struggeling to keep hold of welsh players and that they have introduced a Salary cap. The argument that these players are needed to be successful does not wash with me. The Blues have signed more than most and still failed to be successful. My logic is if you cant be successful signing overseas players which the regions have done since 2003, then there is no point in having them there if it stop another Welsh youngster from playing.

I would like to applaud Nigel Davies though as he's been key to some of the player development we are seeing in Wales.

In truth ex players should have no place at figure heads for the Regions. They need to be run by proffesionals.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 am

Tough decisions will have to be made post review without a doubt.
I guess PriceWaterhouse will obtain the necessary figures....

I know Roger Lewis has to show leadership but I was intrigued by this comment recently.

"We are at a critical stage and that is what is so exciting because if we get this right we will come up with something in world rugby that will be the envy of the world"

I wonder what that 'something' is?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:"We are at a critical stage and that is what is so exciting because if we get this right we will come up with something in world rugby that will be the envy of the world"

I wonder what that 'something' is?

Wouldn’t surprise me if he suggested taking it down to just two teams in Wales, East and West. The North isn’t ready yet. Otherwise there are no other viable models that could work here. Clubs resources were stretched in the pro era so we changed; now we have regional (provincial, super-clubs) rugby. What other systems are there to look at? The only other option I see is a binary system, two semi national, super-regional teams (Bucuresti Oaks). The only other step from there is one team... We have that, they're called Wales.

*Edit*
Keeping is positive, the development system is working very well and the investment in North Wales has been amazing, it would appear that rugby is growing at an organic rate up there. 6,000 is a great turn out up there, and the facilities looked great.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:30 am

Roger Lewis's statement said he saw it as vital to keep four regions.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 am

gowales wrote:Whatever the case may be no one cares about regional rugby. And that probably isn't going to change. As great as our national success is, it's not going to transfer through to the regions with crowds or results.

There are forty thousand fans going to see the four regions at home games. We are in an economic recession where a lot of families budgets are tight.

People should start caring about their regions because they have been the biggest part of what is positive of International Welsh rugby. The Academies are magnificent they are doing so much good work for young players.

It will take time but the regions will work and they will make Welsh rugby strong again. Revert to the he club system and we would be back in the 1990s.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:42 am

You're right we are in a recession and family budgets are tight but that doesn't stop the football teams from selling out their stadiums week in, week out.

The fact is regional rugby is a poor product i'm not saying let's go back to clubs but unless they start playing some good rugby and fielding stronger teams, there's no reason that people should have to support them IMO. People don't want to spend their money on a crap product. I don't blame those who have jumped ship and decided to watch the Swans instead, i don't like football personally but at least there's some excitement there. Watching teams like Man U, Chelsea, Man City at least they get their money's worth.

I really don't think the regional concept will ever catch on in Wales. Don't know what else they can do but maybe make them proper regions instead? I've almost given up on watching the crap the Ospreys spew out each week, not just yet but almost.

Last edited by gowales on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 am

I think thats because the game is being over coached at the Regions.

Nigel is doing a good job because he is limiting attacking play's. Basically their tactic is to go out and play whats in front of you. That allows youngsters to make their own choice.

The Ospreys have been poor because at times they look to regimented.

The Dragons are trying to play a little rugby but just lack creative players.

And dont get me started on the Blues. With their backline they really should be scoring a lot more tries.

I totally understand the need to be able to play cup knock out rugby but thats what the HC and Playoffs are for. There is no reason they cant start playing some proper attacking rugby. If they do that they migth start winning some fans over.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:14 am

maestegmafia wrote:Since regional rugby started in 2003 these results have been achieved by the all four of the regions:

That is apparently resulting in Welsh Rugby Success rate in the Six Nations that has gone from 30% in 2000-2003 to 60% from 2004 - 2012.

We have more young academy players playing in the upper echelons of the game than ever before, the regional and National sides have an average age younger than ever before.

We know that Wales and its regions can do better, but it is not all doom and gloom is it...?

You missed an Amlin cup.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:45 pm

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Since regional rugby started in 2003 these results have been achieved by the all four of the regions:

You missed an Amlin cup.

If they took the Amlin into the equation then there would be at least 4 Amlin Qfs, 2 SF and one win. That is pretty good really.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Casartelli wrote:

Apologies Dreamer, I know we've had this convo previously - but if they breakeven next year at what point in the future can they start generating enough cash to commence repaying the £4m debt to the council?

If they're only breaking even and not making a profit/surplus then it's not really a commercially viable arrangement any time soon is it?

They're already repaying that debt back, have been ever since the move OK

Council spokesperson was interviewed a few months back to say the Scarlets had never missed a payment, and are well on track to pay the loan back in the time scale originally agreed (not sure what that is sorry).

Think the Scarlets said that debt aside, if all goes to plan, they will be in the black everywhere else.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:13 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wales606 wrote:

You missed an Amlin cup.

If they took the Amlin into the equation then there would be at least 4 Amlin Qfs, 2 SF and one win. That is pretty good really.

Yes of course... A great result.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

Council spokesperson was interviewed a few months back to say the Scarlets had never missed a payment, and are well on track to pay the loan back in the time scale originally agreed (not sure what that is sorry).

Think the Scarlets said that debt aside, if all goes to plan, they will be in the black everywhere else.

Sorry - I know I'm labouring the point, but that's not correct.

The council confirmed that the loan interest will continue to be deferred until 2013. That means that not only are the Scarlets not repaying any of the debt - it is increasing rapidly as interest is added to the amount borrowed.

It is unlikely that the Scarlets will ever be able to even cover the interest payments on the loan, let alone start to repay it. By any commercial/financial measure the Scarlets are insolvent.

It's only the generosity of a local authority that is keeping them afloat. This is no way to run a professional sport.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Casartelli wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

Sorry - I know I'm labouring the point, but that's not correct.

The council confirmed that the loan interest will continue to be deferred until 2013. That means that not only are the Scarlets not repaying any of the debt - it is increasing rapidly as interest is added to the amount borrowed.

It is unlikely that the Scarlets will ever be able to even cover the interest payments on the loan, let alone start to repay it. By any commercial/financial measure the Scarlets are insolvent.

It's only the generosity of a local authority that is keeping them afloat. This is no way to run a professional sport.

Casterelli

There are plenty examples of Sports businesses struggling to make ends meet, from the big boys down to the local snooker club. Rangers FC pose a good example.

It is the fate of an economic climate that the Scarlets could not have planned for. Luckily the local council realise how incredibly important a part local rugby plays in their community.

WElsh rugby supporters who are not supporting local rugby need to have more patience, going regional was a massive change and it has been a success, we have a decent structure. The Regions just need to find their feet, it could well take another ten years. Nothing good in sport is solved by short term gains.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Okay fine i didn't know about the defered payment, but why did you say that the Scarlets got a loan of £4million, when it was £2.4 million? that's a pretty big difference.

Also, here's the scaremongering article about the Scarlets being £5.5 million in debt (yes we were 2 years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if we have taken a massive chunk out of that)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/11/03/fears-for-future-of-the-scarlets-as-5-5m-debt-means-accountants-fear-status-as-going-concern-91466-29710791/

and incase you miss it, this is what a council spokespoerson says:
A spokeswoman for Carmarthenshire County Council said: “The club continues to meet its obligations both under the terms of the lease of the stadium, and of the loan with the council.”

Where's the problem?

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Maesteg - if it takes another ten years for the 'regions' to find their feet then the Scarlets are going to owe Carms Council around twice as much as they do now.

They'll struggle to justify that to Westminster and the local council tax payers, regardless of how important rugby is in Llanelli.
Cardiff, Newport and the Ospreys aren't much better in financial terms.

Rugby in Wales has to go East/West/South and North and abandon these idiotic links to towns. We're not a big enough country to have clubs or superclubs - we need proper regions with proper corporate sponsors.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Also talk here of about how we are reducing our debt: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-11565255

Seems to me Casartelli that you are just ignoring the facts, to paint as bad a picture as possible.

I have yet to meet a poster who doesn't aknowledge that the regions are in a bit of financial bother, but the Scarlets are no where near as bad off as you are suggesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:41 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Okay fine i didn't know about the defered payment, but why did you say that the Scarlets got a loan of £4million, when it was £2.4 million? that's a pretty big difference.

Also, here's the scaremongering article about the Scarlets being £5.5 million in debt (yes we were 2 years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if we have taken a massive chunk out of that)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2011/11/03/fears-for-future-of-the-scarlets-as-5-5m-debt-means-accountants-fear-status-as-going-concern-91466-29710791/

and incase you miss it, this is what a council spokespoerson says:
A spokeswoman for Carmarthenshire County Council said: “The club continues to meet its obligations both under the terms of the lease of the stadium, and of the loan with the council.”

Where's the problem?

Dreamer - you or I could "meet the obligations" under the terms of a deferred interest loan - as you don't have to do anything.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 pm

then what's the problem? that's the agreement Scarlets have with them, so where's the issue?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Casartelli wrote:Maesteg - if it takes another ten years for the 'regions' to find their feet then the Scarlets are going to owe Carms Council around twice as much as they do now.

They'll struggle to justify that to Westminster and the local council tax payers, regardless of how important rugby is in Llanelli.

Well lets hope that things turn around faster we all want the best for WElsh and local rugby don't we.

Casartelli wrote:Rugby in Wales has to go East/West/South and North and abandon these idiotic links to towns. We're not a big enough country to have clubs or superclubs - we need proper regions with proper corporate sponsors.

Now this is a really interesting suggestion. What would be the difference, can you explain your concept in more depth? Why would East, West, North and South be better than Blues, Dragons, Scarlets and Ospreys? Where would these four N.S.E and W regions be based and why?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Maesteg and Dreamer - you're teasing, right? You can't see how carrying unserviceable debts is a bad thing? In 2013, when the council wants some loan repaid, but the Scarlets have no cash - you don't see where that could lead???

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I'd like you to explain why four regions north south east and west would be a better and more financially viable certainty if you have time?

RE the debt, I am sure that the council and Scarlets will work out a solution. Hopefully we wont have to answer to Westminster in ten years time.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:19 pm

I have ever confidence in what the Scarlets and Carmarthenshire Council have worked out between them. I don't pretend to know the particulars, but if the Scarlets didn't have a sound business plan, then the council wouldn't have dished out a loan for them.

I don't see the point in speculating what could happen, when we don't know all the details, for all you know it could be even more positive then what I'm thinking.

I choose to focus on the good of what the regions are doing, and acknowledging where we can improve, instaed of just running them into the ground continuously. I don't find that attitude helpful at all sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:20 pm

The thing about North/East/South/West is that North would have to be Wrexham (population), West would have to be Swansea (population), South - Cardiff (population) and East, Newport (population) and so we effectively have the same geographical division as currently exists with the Scarlets shifted up north. Granted there are many people in South Wales who'd raise a parochial cheer to this the troble being this idea does nothing to reconnect with the valleys - which is the biggest problem we have. Ideal world scenario 10 years ago would have been 4 representative sides N/E/S/W and all players and coaches centrally contracted. Unless the regions agree to disband (won't happen) the only way to achieve that now is through the courts. Anyone up for that? So what we have left are four southern regions in the s.wales rugby heartland and a fifth which has been disenfranchised. The answer is for the three regions closest to the valleys to take up the challenge to bring people on board. Whether we have WRU run representative regional sides or so called superclubs it makes no odds. Someone has to go out and win people over. The Scarlets are increasing their crowds and without having gone out buying loads of players or even winning anything recently. Now at 7k on ave and rising. It's up to the O's, Blues and Dragons to win hearts north of the M4.
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:24 pm

Our average is actually nearer 9K this season tbs Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:26 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I have ever confidence in what the Scarlets and Carmarthenshire Council have worked out between them. I don't pretend to know the particulars, but if the Scarlets didn't have a sound business plan, then the council wouldn't have dished out a loan for them.

I don't see the point in speculating what could happen, when we don't know all the details, for all you know it could be even more positive then what I'm thinking.

I choose to focus on the good of what the regions are doing, and acknowledging where we can improve, instaed of just running them into the ground continuously. I don't find that attitude helpful at all sorry.

Well said...!

I can't see the regions disappearing at all. So I would heed what RD is saying.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Casartelli wrote:Maesteg - if it takes another ten years for the 'regions' to find their feet then the Scarlets are going to owe Carms Council around twice as much as they do now.

Rugby in Wales has to go East/West/South and North and abandon these idiotic links to towns. We're not a big enough country to have clubs or superclubs - we need proper regions with proper corporate sponsors.

East Wales would need to be based in the biggest population centre in the East, so that would be Cardiff (or Newport)

West Wales would need to be in the biggest population centre in the West, so that would be Llanelli (followed by Milford Haven - but lets face it the town has no money there at all)

South???? At a guess that would end up in Swansea, as there is a big population there.

So all in all West/East/South would be basically the same as Scarlets, Blues&Dragons, Ospreys not really much of a change then!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:57 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:

East Wales would need to be based in the biggest population centre in the East, so that would be Cardiff (or Newport)

West Wales would need to be in the biggest population centre in the West, so that would be Llanelli (followed by Milford Haven - but lets face it the town has no money there at all)

South???? At a guess that would end up in Swansea, as there is a big population there.

So all in all West/East/South would be basically the same as Scarlets, Blues&Dragons, Ospreys not really much of a change then!

That would mean likely playing at Parc Y Scarlets, The Liberty and Cardiff City Stadium...!

I still can't see why it would be any different.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Maes - Thats my point, call them what you want there is a region that plays in and represents the West, there is a region that plays and in the mid south. And two regions who play in and represent the East. So bar the North, who are in the process of getting a region set up (in the prem to begin with), we do pretty much have West, East, South already.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:10 pm

It makes no difference does it. But also for all the lack of attendance figures, debts and not exceeding our expectations the regions are working for Wales. They are giving us a good base that produces good young players ready for top class rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Yeah, maybe you're right. Why worry?

I'm going to adopt the Dreamer approach and assume everything will be okay.

Local authorities, some local businessmen benefactors and 5k-9k crowds (including season ticket holders that don't show up) have the rugby know-how and carry the financial clout to make a success of the superclub structure. It's only been nine years and who needs proper corporate sponsors anyway? Just because that works in France and the SH we shouldn't let it mess with the Welsh Way.

Llanelli, Swansea, Cardiff and Newport are big enough towns to draw in 10k+ crowds eventually - if we include free giveaway tickets to schools - and at some point another team may be competitive in Europe. The Ospreys were for a while and it could happen again.

And the Welsh team won the Grand Slam again - so somethings obviously working. Nobody knows what, but it must be something...

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Where on earth have I stated that I assume everything will be okay?

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:31 pm

I took that from;

"I have ever confidence in what the Scarlets and Carmarthenshire Council have worked out between them..."

It filled me with confidence too. And I saw a bright future. Roger Lewis should probably model the WRU regional restructure on the Scarlets/Carms Council businessplan.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next