The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...!

+21
glamorganalun
Cymroglan
manofgwent
Morgannwg
thebluesmancometh
3rdGrandslamCame
bedfordwelsh
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
wales606
Coleman
BigTrevsbigmac
Welshmushroom
gowales
Totallybiasedscarlet
Cardiff Dave
JayMaster3000
Casartelli
Shifty
Jenifer McLadyboy
maestegmafia
25 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...! - Page 5 Empty Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Mar 2012, 4:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Since regional rugby started in 2003 these results have been achieved by the all four of the regions:

- 7 Quarter-finals in Europe

- 2 Semi-finals in Europe

- 13 top four placements in Celtic League with three championship titles

- Two championship titles in Anglo-Welsh and two runners-up places

That is apparently resulting in Welsh Rugby Success rate in the Six Nations that has gone from 30% in 2000-2003 to 60% from 2004 - 2012.

We have more young academy players playing in the upper echelons of the game than ever before, the regional and National sides have an average age younger than ever before.

We know that Wales and its regions can do better, but it is not all doom and gloom is it...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...!

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
oxring wrote:I genuinely believe that regional rugby is good for the Welsh game - and that returning the game to the clubs will harm the results of our national team. The regions have overseen higher standards of professionalism and the development of youth since their inception. If that could be maintained across 8 or 9 clubs - I would be all in favour - but I don't believe it can. The talent pool would become diluted - not only that and teams would end up becoming too reliatnt upon foreign imports to hold the fort. Not good for the Welsh game.

THAT SAID - the current marketing of the regions is pretty hopeless. There needs to be more involvement in schools, more encouragement in the local area. Kids need to identify.

For the first time in my life - I have been genuinely positive about the direction the WRU has been taking the game in Wales. Since Lewis took the helm, in fact, things have been steadily more positive. Equally - I cannot remember a time I was more depressed about the business decisions of what should be our two "premier" regions - based upon squad size and wealth - the Blues and the Ospreys.

The Scarlets and the Dragons have done well - B+ standard in terms of marketing and development - based largely around bringing on youth exceptionally well.

The Ospreys development of players is sad to see - they seem to take genuine talents and make them worse. When was the last time Gareth Owen had a good game (I know he's missing an ACL at the moment - but before that)? When he played under Lyn Jones away at Leinster he looked a class act - had plenty of time on the ball, a decent sidestep of either foot and decent distributive skills. Under Holley/Johnson - first he had to lose any particular position by playing fullback/centre/flyhalf/wherever else - until his form suffered and he hasn't come back. We had a decent young scrum half in Webb - so we bought Fotuali'i - who, although he has done better recently - was utterly awful initially and still relegated Webb to the bench.

Now I know that I don't get to see what goes on in training - and I don't get to see the commitment of the players - but how is that supposed to bring on the development of youth? I don't want to turn up to see young talent get steadily worse.

As for the Blues - I don't want to see some Scots carthorse kick away fantastic position on a cold wet November night. I'll stay at home at watch it on S4C instead - and the beer is cheaper too.

Until the Blues and the Ospreys start to connect with their fanbase - they aren't going to attract new fans.

Some good points there.

Where? I can't see any.

You not able to see things? I am surprised mate... You seem so lucid

Bum. You got me there. I fell for that.
My point still stands however.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welsh Regional Rugby in a positive light...!

Post by Morgannwg Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:56 pm

What point Dave?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 27 Mar 2012, 11:59 pm

Morgannwg wrote:What point Dave?

Oops. I asked who his team was.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 28 Mar 2012, 12:56 am

I'm not sure who his team is either. But he is a Wales fan which is good enough for me as opposed to some pro-club, selfish, regional rugby hater.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 28 Mar 2012, 4:31 pm

Ospreys till I die and all that.

Which is a shame - because my family are and always have been scarlet fans. However - I've supported Neath since I could walk and I kept that adulation going with the 'spreys.

Although - the rugby that the Scarlets play - I wish my loyalties lay further west (as they should as a Pembrokeshire lad).

First and foremost, however, I am a Welshman - and I sacrifice any damage to clubs or minority interests if the greater good in the Welsh national game is preserved.

If anyone can persuade me that Wales will be best served by a return to the clubs of the past - I would be all in favour.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5