The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

+27
KiaRose
Cari
prop_lyd
Mrs Penfro
perthshirepuma
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mickado
Hound_of_Harrow
Breadvan
Luckless Pedestrian
eirebilly
Gibson
WillyGilly
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
PenfroPete
red_stag
Biltong
MrsP
Rory_Gallagher
Rava
Suspicious lurker
Pal Joey
Glas a du
Thomond
Ozzy3213
Notch
31 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh  - Page 3 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 2:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the Virtual Rugby Pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat. The pub has ventured to Edinburgh, as the team has made their first ever Heineken Cup Semi Final.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the pictures of Martyn Williams, Shane Williams, Paddy Jackson, Paul O'Connell and Tim Visser.

Ale cuppa coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

Old Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t27886p1000-the-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-belfast#1157191

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh  - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:16 pm

DREAMER - BBC2 NOW !!! Penguins !!!
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh  - Page 3 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub, Edinburgh

Post by Glas a du Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:18 pm

Yes Mrs P, he was.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:20 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Precisely, Glas, bliwdy spoiling them! Nevermind, keg of Decuhars should sort folk out! Ale

Booger, I was hoping for some Deuchars IPA Sad Is Decuhars similar Whistle
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:21 pm

Watching Indian Ocean on BBC2 - I've been in that car park at The Cape Yahoo
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:23 pm

PenfroPete wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Precisely, Glas, bliwdy spoiling them! Nevermind, keg of Decuhars should sort folk out! Ale

It's like that episode of the Simpsons when Moe tries fobbing Homer off with a Düff.

"Wait a minute, this is Duff"

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:29 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Watching Indian Ocean on BBC2 - I've been in that car park at The Cape Yahoo

Penfro,

You should pitch that as a series to the beeb!

"Great car parks I have visited!"

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:37 pm

Great idea MrsP kiss , I write under nom-de-plume of Kevin Beresford and have already had a hit with this beauty
LINK Whistle
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:41 pm

PenfroPete wrote:

Its the vegan version.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:45 pm

It'll be sh!te then, is he organising a lacto-vegetarian version too
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Apr 2012, 8:46 pm

Penfro,

If you were famous, well, more famous, you could probably make millions from it.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:04 pm

ah no, was on the phone to my dad and packing some of my things for my brawd to take back home, are the penguins still on the tv?!?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:09 pm

We should add more semi-final themed player photos to the pub wall; nominations for Clermont and Leinster players anyone?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:16 pm

If you put up a picture of Nathan Hines holding down Ferris, Pedrie and Tuohy then a that would kill two birds with one stone..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm

Oh Man! Not only was it a piece of cynical play that would have literally broken Dreamers mind had it been committed by an Irishman, he spent the whole next two days winding up Ulster fans on twitter! laughing

I condone his twitter winding up. If you're stupid enough to abuse someone you've never met on twitter, you can't complain if he rubs it in a bit. The basterd. The dirty, cheating, genius, winning basterd furious clap

Go on, put him up on the wall. He's earned it. Look at him!

Spoiler:

How did he ever expect to get away with it? Laugh
And how DID he get away with it a few minutes later? Crying or Very sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8soVSySmqjI
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:28 pm

Anyone ever played the cereal box yoga game?
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:30 pm

sure I saw an Irish man do the same to Ryan Jones in the 6N's Notch. Disgusting play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:31 pm

Oh get off the moral high horse for one evening dreamer Whistle

You'll live longer if you let it go and just get on with enjoying the game Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:34 pm

No offence Notch, but I think it's a really serious issue with our game, that different abilities of cheating or "playing" the ref is now often becoming the difference between winning or losing. I can't enjoy games like that.

It's not a moral high horse, it's a genuine fear for where the game looks to be heading. It's a direction I don't like, and I'm honestly finding rugby less and less enjoyable to watch as a result.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:38 pm

None taken. For me, I was frustrated watching that Hines thing in real time like you wouldn't believe but a few weeks later I was laughing about it. It's not going to bring the game of rugby to it's knees.

Plus, you have to admire Hines audacity and inventiveness if nothing else. I mean, three players! Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:39 pm

if rugby keeps going in the direction it is, then I fear that it will.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm

Dreamer this is not a new phenomeon to rugby
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:23 pm

Nor is it one that the Scarlets are above indulging in, or any other team for that matter!

Have another look at that wonderful clip Glas posted earlier of Scarlets beating Munster. (Stag, you might rather not actually!) I bet you will find instances of Scarlets holding back defenders around the side of rucks there too!

They might not have been as blatent as Hines but they are doing it.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:26 pm

I said it back in December that Scarlets weapon is forward passing and dummy runners. They make so so so many forward passes and use dummy runner to create holes for their players to run into.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:34 pm

MrsP - please find where I have said that the Scarlets never do anything like it Smile

Stag - no I know it's not a new phenomenon, nor is this the first time I've complained about cheating in rugby. I just tend to be able to ignore it for a while until it reaches high levels of frustration. Every game I watched this weekend was full of it, it's really ruining rugby, for me personally. It just seems that the longer rugby has been professional, the worse it's getting.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:37 pm

It's just that you don't ever seem to complain when it's Wales or the Scarlets that are doing the "cheating".

Nor when it's wales or the Scarlets who benefit from poor refereeing decisions!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:41 pm

I do MrsP, might not be as obvious as I'm stating it today because usually I'm not feeling so disillusioned with the game.

and why the " when it's actually cheating?

I dislike it immensely when players like Jonathan Edwards are always entering rucks from the side, not rolling away etc etc. It's just irritating. Why can't players just focus on playing the actual game?

I know that's a completely naive outlook on it, but the quality of rugby on display this weekend was completely hampered by the shenanigans at the breakdown. I'm just not enjoying watching it anymore.

I know there's lots that won't agree, and I know all sides do it, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:43 pm

Ultimately the more professional the game becomes, the more professional the IRB will become. Right now the clubs are much more professional in preparation for games than the IRB are in fine tuning the rules they are to be played by. The question is how quickly that gap will be closed.

If anything, incidences of games being decided by rule interpretations will plateau and then become less common. Of course, it always will be a part of the game but it always has been. You won't ever be happy about how rugby is played going by what you're saying, but I expect any successes won by your team will ease your pain, whether they involve 'cheating' or not Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:46 pm

Dreamer, I thought the games were highly enjoyable this weekend. Are you honestly saying that the 20-20 match in Parc Scarlets was a boring game.

As for the ref thing I said it last night I think you have your mind made up on Rolland (just like loads of Musnter fans do about Poite) and that its a little bit Boy Who Cried Wolf at this stage.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:47 pm

Well I never hear you complain about the Scarlets or call them cheats.

Maybe if you did on here it would seem more balanced.

Same as I don't remember you writing to the WRU to ask them to declare the match against Ireland last year void.

None of us are dispassionate about our teams, goodness knows I'm not, but it does seem a bit inconsistent to complain voiciferously about everyone who is "cheating" while playing against your teams and not your own team, no?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:52 pm

Notch wrote:Ultimately the more professional the game becomes, the more professional the IRB will become. Right now the clubs are much more professional in preparation for games than the IRB are in fine tuning the rules they are to be played by. The question is how quickly that gap will be closed.

If anything, incidences of games being decided by rule interpretations will plateau and then become less common. Of course, it always will be a part of the game but it always has been. You won't ever be happy about how rugby is played going by what you're saying, but I expect any successes won by your team will ease your pain, whether they involve 'cheating' or not Smile

I'm sorry Notch, but, seriously, you think that?! If anything in recent years they've gone backwards.

I know rugby will always have those that cheat in it Notch, my gripe is at the moment, more and more games are being decided by how well a side can cheat, not by how well they can play the actual game of rugby. It's all wrong. (imo)

Stag - sorry you think of it that way. I tried to be as objective as I could about Rolland, but he was dreadful yesterday, there's no hiding from that. And no, the match wasn't an enjoyable one to watch, certainly not live, it came across a bit better on the tv.

MrsP - You seriously expect me to post every single view of mine on here, just so my opinion can appear more "balanced" for you?? seriously?

and no I wouldn't write to the WRU, just like I won't write to Munster, or the O's, or Leicester etc etc about their teams cheating. Why would I? Why do I have to do taht to justify my opinion?? If I was to write to anyone, it would be the IRB to sort the laws of the game out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:54 pm

Also, I don't believe I've specifically stated that I was annoyed just about the cheating in the Scarlets match, I thought I'd stated it was in all the matches I've watched this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:55 pm

If i'm being honest, the welsh teams have become pretty good cheaters themselves at the breakdown. It drives me insane when they get away with things, but there is nothing I can do about it really. All you can do is applaud them for being clever, and hope we do the same. I'm sure my opinion will be disregarded as delusional or beyond ridiculous or something though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:56 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
Notch wrote:Ultimately the more professional the game becomes, the more professional the IRB will become. Right now the clubs are much more professional in preparation for games than the IRB are in fine tuning the rules they are to be played by. The question is how quickly that gap will be closed.

I'm sorry Notch, but, seriously, you think that?! If anything in recent years they've gone backwards.

I know rugby will always have those that cheat in it Notch, my gripe is at the moment, more and more games are being decided by how well a side can cheat, not by how well they can play the actual game of rugby. It's all wrong. (imo)

Stag - sorry you think of it that way. I tried to be as objective as I could about Rolland, but he was dreadful yesterday, there's no hiding from that. And no, the match wasn't an enjoyable one to watch, certainly not live, it came across a bit better on the tv.

MrsP - You seriously expect me to post every single view of mine on here, just so my opinion can appear more "balanced" for you?? seriously?

and no I wouldn't write to the WRU, just like I won't write to Munster, or the O's, or Leicester etc etc about their teams cheating. Why would I? Why do I have to do taht to justify my opinion?? If I was to write to anyone, it would be the IRB to sort the laws of the game out.

You post whatever you wish Dreamer.

OK

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:56 pm

Does ANYBODY complain about their own team being cheats though ?

DREAMER - did it come across as a "bit better on TV" ? It must have been sh!te at the ground then, particularly the 1st half
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

Rolling Eyes seriously Rory.

My gripe is that, why are we applauding it as clever play, when it is in actual fact, cheating? why is it acceptable? I just don't think that it should be, or that the game should be in a state where it is deemed so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:59 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Rolling Eyes seriously Rory.

My gripe is that, why are we applauding it as clever play, when it is in actual fact, cheating? why is it acceptable? I just don't think that it should be, or that the game should be in a state where it is deemed so.

Seriously what? What is it this time?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:59 pm

Dreamer, have you ever played rugby out of interest?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:00 pm

PenfroPete wrote:Does ANYBODY complain about their own team being cheats though ?

DREAMER - did it come across as a "bit better on TV" ? It must have been sh!te at the ground then, particularly the 1st half

unbelievably, yes it did. Atmosphere wise from the crowd it was good, but the match was so stop start, error ridden, a complete mess at the breakdown, and the scrums! don't get me started on the scrums. I can't remember the last time I left a ground feeling so unsatisfied with what I'd seen at a match (and yes before other's start, a great deal of that was down to my own frustrations with my own side).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:01 pm

Rory - seriously, why the need for this: "I'm sure my opinion will be disregarded as delusional or beyond ridiculous or something though."

And I've only ever played touch rugby, or rugby drunk on a beach. I know that limits my understanding of the game somewhat, and I've already said my opinion on this might be somewhat naive. I just find it incredible that cheating is something that is so applauded in our game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:02 pm

It's inevitable. The forces of capitalism will guarantee it happens. Nothing deters new fans like technical offences that look counter-intuitive or long stoppages down to scrum infringements.

Trying to sell the game in new countries and encouraging casual fans to take an interest world wide is what will ensure that.

Also, I don't believe I've specifically stated that I was annoyed just about the cheating in the Scarlets match, I thought I'd stated it was in all the matches I've watched this weekend.

I appreciate that this is true, but surely you can appreciate why you'd be seen as a bad loser- I doubt you'd feel this way if you watched Scarlets coast home instead. You'd be too busy being excited and happy about the prospect of a playoff place. It might bubble up later, but right now a lot of it is due to missing out on the win, right?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm

Not really Notch - like I've said before, this isn't the first time I've had a gripe about cheating in rugby, I just tend to be able to ignore it for a while but it's always there.

Sure, if the Scarlets had won, I might have ignored it for another week, but I'd still have been thinking it, and still have been annoyed about it. I might just have put off talking about it for another week or so!

And I'm sorry you seem to think I'm coming across as a bad loser. Perhaps what I'm writing should be taken more into consideration, not the teams I support.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:07 pm

I didn't say that at all to be fair dreamer...

I implied everyone else thinks you're a bad loser Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:08 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Rory - seriously, why the need for this: "I'm sure my opinion will be disregarded as delusional or beyond ridiculous or something though."

And I've only ever played touch rugby, or rugby drunk on a beach. I know that limits my understanding of the game somewhat, and I've already said my opinion on this might be somewhat naive. I just find it incredible that cheating is something that is so applauded in our game.

Because you often add that to a post I make that doesn't sit well with your opinions (for example, today), so why are you surprised that I added that? Well I am asking because when you are actually in a game, you will do whatever it takes to win. You aren't thinking "oh am I coming in from the side here, should I be competing for this ball here" etc. You just get in there and try to win the ball or slow it down as much as possible. If the referee says hands off, you leave it. Sometimes things go your way, and sometimes they don't. For example if you saw Ulster against Connacht the other week, Birch our young flanker made a fantastic legitimate steal, and got a yellow. No cheating whatsoever but it was deemed as such.

I'm going to assume here that you aren't a fan of any 7s? Or even Warburton? He is unfortunately learning how to cheat pretty damn well.

Last edited by Rory_Gallagher on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:09 pm

I love 7's. I don't love the laws of our game that allow cheating to become something that is becoming more and more crucial to the winning or losing of a game is all Rory.

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:10 pm

FOLKS - to be fair to DREAMER, I've had this conversation with her in a real pub
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:11 pm

PenfroPete wrote:FOLKS - to be fair to DREAMER, I've had this conversation with her in a real pub

What was the score Penfro?

Whistle

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

Notch wrote:I didn't say that at all to be fair dreamer...

ha! well then, I suggest everyone else actually concentrates more on what I'm writing, then the teams I support.

Note to self: next time wait a few days until after your team loses to discuss any gripes with the game, guess that way it would avoid the confusion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:12 pm

The laws aren't allowing cheating though, otherwise it wouldn't be cheating! In fact that is why things are getting more and more complicated as they try to get rid of the cheating. If they let things go more for both teams, things might actually be better.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm

Just a general conversation, she is genuinely concerned with trend of the 'best cheats win'. As she also stated it was the games this weekend not just the Scarlets v Munster game OK

Last edited by PenfroPete on Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:15 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
Notch wrote:I didn't say that at all to be fair dreamer...

ha! well then, I suggest everyone else actually concentrates more on what I'm writing, then the teams I support.

Note to self: next time wait a few days until after your team loses to discuss any gripes with the game, guess that way it would avoid the confusion.

Or even better, wait till they win and then complain about my own team. Otherwise it could appear that i don't mind my own team winning by those means but dislike it when other teams do!

Very Happy

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next