The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Class Sledging

+17
ChequeredJersey
ospreysboyo
Barney McGrew did it
freeman lowell
ieuan
offload
disneychilly
robbo277
Casartelli
Knowsit17
Toohey
LordDowlais
flankertye
fa0019
formerly known as Sam
mystiroakey
gregortree
21 posters

Go down

International Class Sledging Empty International Class Sledging

Post by gregortree Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

The Haka thread started me off.
This is a slow week for rugby news, but we can always look back to the rich past for inspiration.
What are your world class examples of international sledging between players / teams ?
The Wiki entry for the Haka mentioned a 1903 example from an Aussie v NZ match, when the 'Kangaru' Haka was rolled out, not sure by which team though.
Plainly a 1903 p take, so sledging has been around a while - over 100 years. Cricketers have their international sledgers,
But what examples can rugby produce from its vibrant history ? Please post here, no wumming please and try to keep it decent.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

International Class Sledging Empty Re: International Class Sledging

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:23 pm

ok So you took my advice then. thumbsup

International class sledging must be won by aussie cricketers. Not sure rugby players do such a thing. Or do they

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:31 pm

Mark Regan to Matt Dunning: "Get up jelly belly",
not up with cricket maybe, but then those boys get loadsa time to indulge, say over 5 days

Last edited by gregortree on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:31 pm

Didn't an Aussie forward comment on Mark Regan's constant talking during the 2007 RWC? Might not have been sledging as such but I bet it wasn't complimentary.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:34 pm

One NZ hooker said of Regan: he said more to me during that game than my missus did all week.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 26 Apr 2012, 4:36 pm

Kind of an old story more than a sledge, but an Irish player was blown for a late tackle.
(to ref) " I'm awfully sorry sir, but I got there as soon as I could"

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:09 pm

Campo was the king surely.

Wasn't it he who when asked by media about how he would deal with his opposite number (Stu Wilson, at the time one of the most respected wingers in the game) on his debut vs. NZ he said.... "Stu who"

Apparently he went on the tear Wilson apart (albeit ending up on the losing side).

His winding up of England in 91 was also memorable... constantly talked them down prior to the final saying they only played 10 man rugby.... when it came to the final they changed to played an expansive game yet lost.
After the lose, Campo said if they stuck to their 10 man game they probably would have beaten them.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

Think it was Smit who said that of Regan actually.
Apparently Bod never shuts up...

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:29 pm

I always remember George Greegans "another four years boys" after beating New Zealand in the 2003 world cup. I also remember Scott Gibbs saying "I feel good, I feel very good" to Dallaglio in the Wembly five nations before he scored the winning try, also who can forget the way he taunted the Springboks during the 1997 tour, he was basically calling them all babies. laughing

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

Not sure it counts as sledging, nor am I sure if he meant it or not but in terms of wind ups Ben Cohen's 'Shane who?' has to be up there. Can't think of another example of two little words causing so much animosity and ill feeling. Genius if he meant it, potentially even better if he didn't.

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

who is shane?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:24 pm

Shane going all out to sledge Habana in 2008 (not sure what their disagreement had been shortly before). Shane himself said in an interview that he was screaming to his team to pass to him, something like "Give it to me boys, he's mine" or something. And when he did step Habana to score (though Wales lost emphatically that day) he feigned screening his eyes against the horizon looking for him.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:27 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I always remember George Greegans "another four years boys" after beating New Zealand in the 2003 world cup. I also remember Scott Gibbs saying "I feel good, I feel very good" to Dallaglio in the Wembly five nations before he scored the winning try, also who can forget the way he taunted the Springboks during the 1997 tour, he was basically calling them all babies. laughing

Gregan spat 'four more years boys, four more years...' at Byron Kelleher in '03. Something that endears him to New Zealanders to this day.

Gibbs claims to have been (mis)quoting Marvin Hagler, who, after brutally beating Thomas 'The Hit Man Hearns' in a 1985 bout in Las Vegas, said `I feel good tonight. When I feel good tonight I know what that means: Somebody's got to fall..'

Whether Gibbs was comparing himself to Hagler or Hearns is not clear. Dallaglio has no recollection of it.

I like the Martin Johnson quote (which David Trick, ex Bath and England, told me so it must be true) - from a Leicester game in which he (Johnson, not Trick) and Austin Healey were playing - and Austin Healey had just been stamped on, causing some light bleeding to the head;

Ref: "Martin - I didn't see anything. Do you know what happened?"

Johnson: "There's 29 other players here, ref. Could have been any one of us."

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:33 pm

The Gregan one (no audio, but it's a pretty easy lip-read): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65xd81cj7pA&feature=player_embedded

I think Szarzweski once lost it with Regan (in the 2008 Six Nations?). Not sure what was said, but it appears Regan likes a bit of a natter.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:36 pm

Ah yes, Lievremont even called Regan a grotesque clown after the game.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:40 pm

Toohey wrote:Not sure it counts as sledging, nor am I sure if he meant it or not but in terms of wind ups Ben Cohen's 'Shane who?' has to be up there. Can't think of another example of two little words causing so much animosity and ill feeling. Genius if he meant it, potentially even better if he didn't.

Ah yes, the famous Shane who ? quote, the funny thing is one went on to be IRB player of the year, the other one got relagated with Northampton. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:43 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Toohey wrote:Not sure it counts as sledging, nor am I sure if he meant it or not but in terms of wind ups Ben Cohen's 'Shane who?' has to be up there. Can't think of another example of two little words causing so much animosity and ill feeling. Genius if he meant it, potentially even better if he didn't.

Ah yes, the famous Shane who ? quote, the funny thing is one went on to be IRB player of the year, the other one got relagated with Northampton. Rolling Eyes

Shane Howarth was never IRB player of the year. Wink

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:44 pm

Regan may have liked to talk, but he wasn't the brightest bulb. From Simon Shaw's autobiography;

"I remember the club trying to raise funds for an under-19 tour in the days when everything was funded by raffles," recalls Shaw, already chuckling at memories of the character-laden Bristol side of the early 1990s.

"Derek Eves was organising one of those race nights where they screen old horse and greyhound races. He asked me if I wanted a dog and what I wanted to call it. 'OK,' I said, 'I'll have No5, Shawsy's Surprise.'

He moved on to a worried-looking Ronnie, who said he'd let him know. Next day Derek asked whether he'd come to a decision. 'I've had a word with my mum,' replied Regan, 'but she says our alsatians are enough and we don't need a greyhound'."

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:45 pm

robbo277 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Shane Howarth was never IRB player of the year. Wink

Laugh laughing I remember him using that as an excuse in a later interview. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

The other one had the World Cup winners' medal though. Sucked as I don't like Cohen either!

I saw the end of the All Blacks' 50 match unbeaten run at Athletic Park in 1990. Fitzpatrick had been giving Kearns all sorts of verbal every time they played and now Kearns was on the winning side he gave Fitzy a mouthful and the fingers. He said afterwards he was only inviting Sean to his barbie. Great quote from Grant Fox's book-"Kearns' violent two-finger erection meant that Fitzpatrick could even have two sausages".

Was disappointed about some of my fellow countrymen taunting Australia with the "Four more years" gibe. It was a hell of a sledge but let Gregan have it and well done George. Don't kick a team when they're down with a taunt a member of that team thought of himself. Was hoping for a little more originality.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Apr 2012, 6:53 pm

disneychilly wrote:The other one had the World Cup winners' medal though. Sucked as I don't like Cohen either!

I saw the end of the All Blacks' 50 match unbeaten run at Athletic Park in 1990. Fitzpatrick had been giving Kearns all sorts of verbal every time they played and now Kearns was on the winning side he gave Fitzy a mouthful and the fingers. He said afterwards he was only inviting Sean to his barbie. Great quote from Grant Fox's book-"Kearns' violent two-finger erection meant that Fitzpatrick could even have two sausages".

Was disappointed about some of my fellow countrymen taunting Australia with the "Four more years" gibe. It was a hell of a sledge but let Gregan have it and well done George. Don't kick a team when they're down with a taunt a member of that team thought of himself. Was hoping for a little more originality.

To be fair, I could have won a world cup medal playing on the wing behind that pack. Yahoo

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:19 pm

Famous cricketing sledge, but no idea which players....

" Hey - how come your so fat?"

" Because every time I **** your mother she gives me a biscuit"
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:24 pm

True Dowlais, and England also had three world class backs in Wilkinson, Robinson and Greenwood too which made it even better for Cohen.

Offload it was Glenn McGragh sledging Eddo Brandes, and it was his wife. McGrath had a scrap with Ramnaresh Sarwan after asking him what Brian Lara's **** tasted like only to hear "I dunno. Ask your wife" in reply. Was low as she had cancer but McGrath talked **** all the time, and was bound to get a retort that really offended him sooner or later.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:27 pm

disneychilly wrote:True Dowlais, and England also had three world class backs in Wilkinson, Robinson and Greenwood too which made it even better for Cohen.

Offload it was Glenn McGragh sledging Eddo Brandes, and it was his wife. McGrath had a scrap with Ramnaresh Sarwan after asking him what Brian Lara's **** tasted like only to hear "I dunno. Ask your wife" in reply. Was low as she had cancer but McGrath talked **** all the time, and was bound to get a retort that really offended him sooner or later.

Disney - thanks for the correction. I never let the facts spoil a good story! Wink
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by ieuan Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:33 pm

offload wrote:Famous cricketing sledge, but no idea which players....

" Hey - how come your so fat?"

" Because every time I **** your mother she gives me a biscuit"

The one that asked how come you're so fat was Glenn Mcgrath, the other guy was a Zimbabwe player.

I don't see the need to sledge in rugby though it's much more effective to crunch them with a massive tackle or run rings round them with ball in hand

ieuan

Back to top Go down

Post by freeman lowell Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:54 pm

yet another famous cricketing sledge..."can i borrow your brain cos im building an idiot" .........aimed at phill tufnell by an aussie in the crowd.................

freeman lowell

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 26 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

If we're extending it to cricket sledges, "mind the windows, Tino" is right up there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl1rHQj7P5c

A few of others, shamelessly copied and pasted (won't link the site because it has some words the mods wouldn't approve of):

Ian Healy once became frustrated with an overweight batsman from a South African provincial side who seemed not the least interested in scoring runs. Eventually Healy called to the bowler: "Why don't we put a Mars bar on a good length to see if we can lure him out of his crease?"

In a county game against Glamorgan, Greg Thomas attempted to sledge him (Viv Richards) after he had played and missed at several balls in a row. He informed Richards: "It's red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering." Richards hammered the next delivery out of the cricket grounds and into a nearby river. Turning to the bowler, he commented: "Greg, you know what it looks like, now go and find it.

Michael Atherton, during his first tour of Australia, stood his ground during a vociferous appeal for a catch behind. At the end of the over, wicketkeeper Ian Healy walked by, calling Atherton a "----ing cheat". Very politely, Atherton shot back: "When in Rome, dear boy."

Upon his (James Ormond's) arrival at the crease during a Test match in 2001, Ormond copped grief from Mark Waugh. "---- me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here? There's no way you're good enough to play for England." Quick as you like, Ormond said: "Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family."

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

"I don't see the need to sledge in rugby though it's much more effective to crunch them with a massive tackle or run rings round them with ball in hand"

Yeah I really liked Josh Lewsey's sledging of Matt Rogers 2003.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 26 Apr 2012, 8:51 pm

Barney, yes nice one, even tho' it is nothing to do with OP , but I like your point.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 26 Apr 2012, 9:06 pm

I know I said no WUMMing, and so relax, this is not an exception, but recent enough example to require an airing on this OP:

"Wales must sledge England's Dylan Hartley" says Davies -
"If he misses the first line-out you've got to... have a word, get stuck into him. A bit of sledging is good for banter on the field, keeps you interested. "
oh JD you naughty lad.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreysboyo Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:05 pm

I remember reading before, that after the NZ - ENG match in the 95 RWC, England got a fax from a NZ journo that read; "Sorry Jonah ran over your Catt"... Tickled me, another one was when my team toured to torquay, we got the usual 'sheep s******' jibe in a scrum, to which our prop quickly came back with, 'Welsh lamb, we f*** them, then you eat 'em' never really heard a better response to that one!!

ospreysboyo

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 26 Apr 2012, 11:58 pm

Rugby sledge involving 2 legends of the front row. Dai Young did something illegal to annoy Gareth Chilcott, who instead of retaliating, just replied
"Do that again my boy and you'll love up to your name".

ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 27 Apr 2012, 12:12 am

Loads here: http://the-gold-digging-ant.blogspot.co.uk/2008/07/it-must-be-awful-being-under-english.html?m=1
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 27 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

Gethin Jenkins V ROG, Wales v Ireland 2005 Six Nations

Apaprently ROG had been calling Gethin a c**t all game. So when Gethin chips the ball and out races ROG (I believe?) to the ball and tryline he throws the ball back at him and asks 'Who's the fat c**t now ?'

Burn Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 27 Apr 2012, 3:04 pm

I think ROG has a bit of a mouth on him, wasn't it Mike Brown who removed him from a ruck via a wedgie in a HEC/Amlin game after ROG had been mouthing off? Seem to remember ROG swinging and Brown throwing a portion of torn under armour at him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:20 pm

munkian wrote:Gethin Jenkins V ROG, Wales v Ireland 2005 Six Nations

Apaprently ROG had been calling Gethin a c**t all game. So when Gethin chips the ball and out races ROG (I believe?) to the ball and tryline he throws the ball back at him and asks 'Who's the fat c**t now ?'

Burn Very Happy

I remember Geth chucking the ball at ROG after the try but always thought it was out of pure elation, never suspected there was a story like that behind it Shocked

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:22 pm

I remember Contepomi winding ROG up during the Argentina-Ireland RWC match in 2007
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 27 Apr 2012, 5:30 pm

Best sledging ? Scott Williams try v England 2012 thumbsup Run
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by anotherworldofpain Fri 27 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

"Every time I went to tackle him, Horrocks went one way, Taylor went the other, and all I got was the bloody hyphen."

Nick England, On trying to stop Phil Horrocks-Taylor

Not really a sledging but even I can find it very funny.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 28 Apr 2012, 1:22 am

The England team of the nineties at some point were playing with Brian Moore, Dean Richards and Wade Dooley in and at a break in play the ref came up to them and said "Right lads, I've had some complaints of illegal behaviour", and quick as a flash someone shot back with "Illegal? We've a barrister and two coppers playing! We're the most legal team in the world." Very Happy

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sat 28 Apr 2012, 4:22 pm

Let's be honest, sledging in rugby is pretty tame and cricket has the best. Below a selection

Rodney Marsh (Australia) and Ian Botham (England)

Rodney Marsh to Ian Botham in an Ashes match: “So how’s your wife and my kids?” Ian Botham’s reply – “The wife’s fine. The kids are retarded !”

Javed Miandad (Pakistan) and Merv Hughes (Australia)

Javed Miandad called Hughes a fat bus conductor during a match. A few balls later, Hughes dismissed Miandad. “Tickets please,” said Hughes, as he ran past the departing batsman.

Glenn McGrath (Ausrtralia) and Ramnaresh Sarwan (West Indies)

McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan: “So what does Brian Lara’s dick taste like? ”Sarwan: “I don’t know. Ask your wife.

McGrath (lost his cool): “If you ever Flip mention my wife again, I’ll Flip rip your Flip throat out.”

Mark Waugh (Australia) and Adam Parore (New Zealand)

Mark Waugh standing at second slip, Adam Parore played & missed the first ball. Mark – “Ohh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were Poopie then, you’re ••••••• useless now”. Parore- (Turning around) “Yeah, that’s me & when I was there you were going out with that old, ugly slut & now I hear you’ve married her. You dumb ••••”.

Glen McGrath (Australia) and Eddo Brandes (Zimbabwe

Aussie paceman Glenn McGrath was bowling to Zimbabwe number 11 Eddo Brandes – who was just missing each ball. McGrath, frustrated, went to him and inquired: “Why are you so fat? ”Quick as a flash, Brandes replied, “Because every time I f*** your wife, she gives me a biscuit.”

Ravi Shastri (India) and Mike Whitney (Australia)

Ravi Shastri hits the ball towards Mike Whitney (the 12th man in the game) and looked for a single. Whitney said, “If you leave the crease i’ll break your f***ing head”. Without battling an eyelid, Shastri retorted, “If you could bat as well as you can talk you wouldn’t be the f***ing 12th man”.

Sunil Gavaskar (India) and Viv Richards (West Indies)

To ease the pressure on himself, Sunil Gavaskar had decided to come lower down the order and bat at No 4 for that particular match. But, Malcolm Marshall fired out Anshuman Gaekwad and Dilip Vengsarkar for ducks, setting the stage for Gavaskar to walk in at 0/2. Viv Richards said “Man, it don’t matter where you come in to bat, the score is still zero.”

VIV Richards and Merev Hughes (Aus)

Viv Richards hit Merv Hughes for four consecutive boundaries in one over. Merv stops halfway down the pitch, farted loudly, and said to Viv: “let’s see you hit that to the boundary!” Viv was dumb-founded.

Daryll Cullinan (NZ) & Shane Warne (Aus)
As Cullinan strode out to bat, Warne told him he had been waiting two years for another chance to humiliate him. "Looks like you spent it eating," Cullinan replied.

Robin Smith (England) & Merv Hughes
Smith had played and missed to Hughes during a Lords Test, prompting Hughes to taunt: "You can't f**king bat". Smith smacked Hughes to the boundary a few balls later and shouted: "Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can’t f**king bat & you can't f**king bowl."

Denis Lillee (Aus) and Mike Gatting (Eng)

Australian pace bowler Lillee stopped on his run up to Gatting in the opening match on England’s 1994-95 tour to deliver the immortal: “Hell, Gatt, move out of the way. I can't see the stumps.”

Ricky Ponting (Aus) & Shaun Pollock (SA)
After beating the bat with a couple of deliveries, Pollock told Ponting: "It's red, round & weighs about 5 ounces." Ponting hammered the next ball out of the ground and retorted: "You know what it looks like, now go find it."

Fred Trueman and Raman Subba Row– Fielder Subba Row let an edge off Trueman’s bowling slip through his legs. Fred didn't say a word initially but at the end of the over, Row approached Trueman and apologised sheepishly. "I should've kept my legs together, Fred". "So should your mother," he replied.

Merv Hughes and Viv Richards
During a test match in the West Indies, Hughes didn’t say a word to Viv, but continued to stare at him after deliveries. “This is my island, my culture. Don’t you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl.” Merv didn’t reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the batsman: “In my culture we just say f(_)ck off.”

Ian Healy (Aus) and Arjuna Ranatunga (Sri Lanka)
And of course you can’t forget Ian Healy’s legendary comment which was picked up by the Channel 9 microphones when Arjuna Ranatunga called for a runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in Sydney… “You don’t get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat cuunnt!!!”

James Ormond (Eng) and Mark Waugh (Aus)
James Ormond had just come out to bat on an ashes tour and was greeted by Mark Waugh……. MW : “F(_)k me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here, there’s no way you’re good enough to play for England” JO : “Maybe not, but at least i’m the best player in my family”

Shane Warne and Arjuna Ranatunga (SL)

Yet another Australian witticism with this time porky Sri Lankan batsman Arjuna Ranatunga the victim. Shane Warne, trying to tempt the batsman out of his crease mused what it took to get the plump character to get out of his crease and drive. Wicketkeeper Ian Healy piped up, “Put a Mars Bar on a good length. That should do it.”

Malcolm Marshall (West Indies) and David Boon (Aus)

Malcolm Marshall was bowling to David Boon who had played and missed a couple of times. Marshall : “Now David, Are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 28 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

With him did Sir Viv have this exchange- "It's small, it's red, it's round, now try and hit it!" massive six "you know what it looks like- go find it"
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 30 Apr 2012, 10:12 am

Ok, just to close this down, I declare that the cricketers won by a huge margin.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down