The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham

+28
Portnoy
Dave.
Thomond
perthshirepuma
Glas a du
Cari
Rory_Gallagher
Ozzy3213
Biltong
Irish Londoner
littleswannygirl
Hound_of_Harrow
PJHolybloke
MrsP
prop_lyd
WillyGilly
Rava
PenfroPete
Suspicious lurker
Mickado
Luckless Pedestrian
Notch
red_stag
Gibson
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
eirebilly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
32 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham - Page 20 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed May 16, 2012 1:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Chin chin and welcome to the Virtual Rugby Pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat. The pub has arrived in London this week for the Heineken Cup final so has stocked up on cucumber sandwiches ( vomit - KRD ) and Pimms.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the pictures of Ruan Pienaar, Stephen Ferris, Jonathon Sexton, Rob Kearney and Jonny Wilkinson (the five nominees for the ERC Player of the Year award), Nigel Owens the HEC final referee or Adam Powell (captain of Llanelli RFC who are playing Ponty in the Welsh club final on Friday). The CCTV snaps of Prop_Lyd and the other Cardiff Saracens players on tour in Croatia are fair game though.

Ale coffee mug guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

Old Pub: https://www.606v2.com/t28922p950-barrel-s-dew-drop-inn-virtual-rugby-pub-restaurant-luderitz#1218292

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Fri May 25, 2012 7:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham - Page 20 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham

Post by Gibson Thu May 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Massive prescribed drugs companies, who feed and experiment with humans, via our respective medical systems... now THEY kill.

But they are cool ja? They make billions... via corrupt governments - legally... But... they pay mega-taxes. The street drug dealer does not. If they did... Like Publicans... Would it be ok too? Just a thought.

Don't get me started. The sheer hypocrisy of it all runs so deep. guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham - Page 20 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham

Post by Gibson Thu May 24, 2012 7:14 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Read this today:

PS Anyone missing a pair of brown shoes that they left at my gaff?

Did ye find a nice black jumper and a piece of ma brain left there too pal?

Thanks for the weekend man. You Hero.

Ive a new name for yer missus. Organic C. Like Jessy J, only with a nicer snozzle-box. kiss
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu May 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Take away the driving element, drug deaths are overwhelmingly caused by a consequence of the very fact the drug is illegal. Or in other words, the economies of scale that dictate that street drugs are 'cut' with all sorts of crap to improve the dealer's profit margin. Most street dealers are addicts themselves selling drugs to fund their habit. How can you address this fundental problem whilst it's an illicit trade?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu May 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Asbo, I just might be the owner of said brown shoes but I'll have to check when I get home.

Gibbo, I have found little pieces of yer brain scattered in the bottom of my bag. I didn't touch them cause they were chattering away merrily to each other in a language only they could unnerstaun Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu May 24, 2012 7:57 pm

Rava wrote:Asbo, I just might be the owner of said brown shoes but I'll have to check when I get home.

Gibbo, I have found little pieces of yer brain scattered in the bottom of my bag. I didn't touch them cause they were chattering away merrily to each other in a language only they could unnerstaun Very Happy

Laugh guinness

Yep. Those chattering brain pieces are mine. Have to be. I hope that' s not yer lovely brown shoes I wanted to nick? Love em.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Glas a du wrote:Take away the driving element, drug deaths are overwhelmingly caused by a consequence of the very fact the drug is illegal. Or in other words, the economies of scale that dictate that street drugs are 'cut' with all sorts of crap to improve the dealer's profit margin. Most street dealers are addicts themselves selling drugs to fund their habit. How can you address this fundental problem whilst it's an illicit trade?

Have you any evidence to back that up Glas?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 pm

Glas a du wrote:Take away the driving element, drug deaths are overwhelmingly caused by a consequence of the very fact the drug is illegal. Or in other words, the economies of scale that dictate that street drugs are 'cut' with all sorts of crap to improve the dealer's profit margin. Most street dealers are addicts themselves selling drugs to fund their habit. How can you address this fundental problem whilst it's an illicit trade?

Great post. I dont have the answer. But, if we just stop burying our collective heads in the sand, ask the right questions, alter perceptions, educate - based on real unbiased study, then a lot more young men and women, may not die of ignorance. Directly or indirectly.

There will always be drugs. There will always be dealers. Legal or illegal. Have been since humankind began.

Its just in the last 50 years that... legal (Corporate Drugs Inc) and illegal (Dodgy Drugs Inc) got separated. Based on taxes and mass control.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu May 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Evening pub.
Smile

I know you don't like the heat Cari, and this weather has happened so suddenly after the last 7-8 weeks. Still, rather this than getting soaked on the 15 minute walk to the station every morning.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 pm

MrsP wrote:

I can supply that with a Life's experience. Its true. Do you have any evidence to refute it MrsP?

I repeat. I am NOT advocating drugs. Just want to challenge people who blur the lines of reality with the Company Line.

Something I personally find potentially - far more dangerous than drugs.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Gibson wrote:
MrsP wrote:

I can supply that with a Life's experience. Its true. Do you have any evidence to refute it?

Do you have a mirror handy pal?

Wink

Very Happy

Shocked

Run

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu May 24, 2012 8:26 pm

guinness

Last edited by Gibson on Fri May 25, 2012 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 pm

You are just beeeeuuutiful buddy!

Hug

Just couldn't resist!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 pm

Phew, that was a long walk! Wink

For me, the only fair way of assessing something - a drug, a foodsuff, a law - is to weigh up its benefits and its costs, the pros and the cons. At the moment, the mainstream approach to (currently) illegal drugs is to focus exclusively on the negatives. Based on these, the 'war on drugs' is fought. Now, if they actually looked at the other side of the coin / bong / piece of foil, they'd see staring them in the face the reason why people have, do and will always want to take drugs: they make you feel good. If they accepted that axiom, they'd also see that their war is unwinnable.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 8:32 pm

How do you square that circle when you consider alcohol as an example though Lucky?

Legal, easily obtainable, regulated, proven benefits in moderation and yet still responsible for so much misery, illness and death.

Do we need more of that but without the health benefits?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu May 24, 2012 8:34 pm

New pub needed soon.

I'll suggest The Priory Clinic.

Whistle

Run

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Laugh

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:New pub needed soon.

I'll suggest The Priory Clinic.

Whistle

Run

Laugh

He's good tho... Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Laugh That might be a good call, Hound!

It's a tough one, Mrs P, but if substances currently illegal were made legal, the consumer would be guaranteed that what they were buying was the real McCoy (Glas has pointed out that the impurity of what's sold on the streets - and what's added to the actual drug - is a huge problem). You'd also be able to have warnings on products, as you have now. There's also the not insignificant advantage that the government could rake it in through taxation. Imagine that: making money on a product rather than losing money fighting its sale when its sale is certain to continue however much you throw at it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 8:53 pm

But all of that could have been said of alcohol too and yet consumption goes up and costs to society go up and far outway the revenues accrued in monetary terms alone let alone societal and personal terms.

What makes you think that any other drug would follow a different path?

Last edited by MrsP on Thu May 24, 2012 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Thu May 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Can I suggest a photo for the new pub wall?

Betty Ford.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu May 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote: Laugh That might be a good call, Hound!

It's a tough one, Mrs P, but if substances currently illegal were made legal, the consumer would be guaranteed that what they were buying was the real McCoy (Glas has pointed out that the impurity of what's sold on the streets - and what's added to the actual drug - is a huge problem). You'd also be able to have warnings on products, as you have now. There's also the not insignificant advantage that the government could rake it in through taxation. Imagine that: making money on a product rather than losing money fighting its sale when its sale is certain to continue however much you throw at it.

Wow.

The US Gov is realising that in Mexico and Souf America. And in Afghanistan and and and...

Waste of energy, human life and money. War AND Drugs. And War ON Drugs.

We'll never learn. But its good craic watching the stupidity of it all. A reality X-factor. The Righteous (clean coke and hash and with the biggest weapons) v the great unwashed and ignorant.

That show will run and run, until the Human Race is over.

Last edited by Gibson on Thu May 24, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 24, 2012 8:58 pm

They'd probably follow similar paths to alcohol, Mrs P: that is, most people who take them would manage just fine. Some people have addictive personalities, there's no denying that; but it seems wrong to then make criminals of everyone else who wants to take something.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 9:01 pm

But the economic and societal arguments hardly hold up, do they?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 24, 2012 9:02 pm

I don't follow, Mrs P.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Thu May 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Evening pub guinness

Interesting discussion going on tonight.

Lucky, I agree with a lot of what you've said. My current employment may only be brief but from meeting with clients every day, and being privy to their records, I see all manner of reasons for their drug use. It encompasses everything from peer pressure to rebellion to grief. The common denominator is that drugs did, at least for a brief time, make them feel good. Some of the stories are truly heartbreaking. Some stories would horrify you.

I suspect that a comparison between the clients I see and those of an AA meeting would have many similarities. They differ in that one set chose a legal route, the others chose an illegal one. A lot of the general public drink alcohol and can possibly understand alcoholism. Taking drugs is, to many people, an alien concept and therefore utterly removed from their understanding.
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Well, alcohol is regulated and taxed and still costs more to society in financial terms than it brings in in taxes.

That is without trying to measure the cost of the misery it causes.

I don't see how what benefit society gains from legalising recreational drugs.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Well it's possible that if other substances became legal, tested and purified, people might take them and find they prefer their effects to the effects of alcohol. If these drugs have fewer negative side-effects, even from heavy use, than alcohol does, then that would be a positive change.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 9:27 pm

So, you think an alcoholic will just switch addictions?

From my experience that will almost never happen. They will simply add another addiction.

I really do not see any real overall benefits to society or those individuals.

Swanny,

Addiction is a t4errible problem for the individuals, their families and society. I just don't see how legalising recreational drugs helps any of those.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm

I did say 'possible', Mrs P.

As for how legalising recreational drugs helps addicts and those who know them, well certainly they won't run the risk of imprisonment, a criminal record and the stigmatisation that follows. That's quite a significant benefit.

I think we're looking at the argument from different angles here. What I object to is substances being made illegal for all because a minority have problems with them. Where do you stop with that? I honestly don't think that's right.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Or we make those substances legal to suit the proclivities of a few to the detriment of the many?

I just do not see how we as a society are improved, hepled, enhanced by legalising recreational drugs.

How's the pup?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 24, 2012 9:43 pm

She's slumped on the sofa next to me as I type. And she's snoring. Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu May 24, 2012 9:49 pm

MrsP wrote:

Yes. Dyfed Powys Police. They put it in their statements in drug supply cases and POCA applications (Proceeds Of Crime Act confiscations). It's not controversial.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 pm

MrsP wrote:But all of that could have been said of alcohol too and yet consumption goes up and costs to society go up and far outway the revenues accrued in monetary terms alone let alone societal and personal terms.

It would not, but with the greatest of respect, that's not the point. The health disadvantages of significant useage of illicit drugs (for the reasons outlined above) far outweigh the health risks under a legal, regulated and taxed trade. The comparison should not be drug a v drug b but drug a mixed with cutting agents v drug a in a controlled regulated trade.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm

They will be talking about the sudden deaths that occur. The police will not be involved in the cases where years of abuse have lead to failing health and death.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Thu May 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Lucky, I have to say that the stigmatism applies even without a criminal record or imprisonment. We've had clients admitted to hospital with a completely unrelated problem. The difference in attitude once a methadone prescription is mentioned is palpable.

Time we had an updated photo of pup. Stick one in the FA pub will ya? Smile
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu May 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Poopie! I've just realised I'm talking myself out of a job! Yikes

G'nite. I love this pub.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu May 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Glas a du wrote:
MrsP wrote:But all of that could have been said of alcohol too and yet consumption goes up and costs to society go up and far outway the revenues accrued in monetary terms alone let alone societal and personal terms.

It would not, but with the greatest of respect, that's not the point. The health disadvantages of significant useage of illicit drugs (for the reasons outlined above) far outweigh the health risks under a legal, regulated and taxed trade. The comparison should not be drug a v drug b but drug a mixed with cutting agents v drug a in a controlled regulated trade.

Do more people die from alcohol related illness now than during prohibition?

The affect on any given individual may (only may) be reduced but the affect on society would be increased.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu May 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Hells bells I was going to order a pint of guinness but yous are still banging on about this drugs debate... censored .... I'll take my custom elsewhere...... Whistle ....... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu May 24, 2012 10:10 pm

OK, this is my last, last shot. The major problem with any drug is a lack of social responsibility on the part of the individual. Public drunkenness was a matter of shame. Not any more. Nobody can make a law which says, "thou shalt make a social pariah of a public drunkard", but how can you have the sort of debate that will lead to society regulating itself, if the anti drug message is propaganda in a 'drugs war'?

Nobody is denying the impacts, but Mrs P you said it yourself, the addict will find a subject for his addiction. In trying to persuade his ilk not to start we are pushing others, quite unintentionally, to try drugs.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu May 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Well I'm smashed off my t1ts in the comfortable safety of my own cloud of psychedelic hallucinatory bliss, and you sir, are a glass teapot reflecting the colours of the rainbow in your hair.

Niiiiiice and soooooooo very coool too. Very Happy

I mean no harm zen

Shocked

vomit

Wow, like... big heart-shaped biscuits in the sky... and friendly mushrooms in comfortable boots. kiss

Totally righteous. king

PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri May 25, 2012 1:32 am

littleswannygirl wrote:Evening pub guinness

Interesting discussion going on tonight.

Lucky, I agree with a lot of what you've said. My current employment may only be brief but from meeting with clients every day, and being privy to their records, I see all manner of reasons for their drug use. It encompasses everything from peer pressure to rebellion to grief. The common denominator is that drugs did, at least for a brief time, make them feel good. Some of the stories are truly heartbreaking. Some stories would horrify you.

I suspect that a comparison between the clients I see and those of an AA meeting would have many similarities. They differ in that one set chose a legal route, the others chose an illegal one. A lot of the general public drink alcohol and can possibly understand alcoholism. Taking drugs is, to many people, an alien concept and therefore utterly removed from their understanding.

guinness OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri May 25, 2012 1:40 am

PJHolybloke wrote:Well I'm smashed off my t1ts in the comfortable safety of my own cloud of psychedelic hallucinatory bliss, and you sir, are a glass teapot reflecting the colours of the rainbow in your hair.

Niiiiiice and soooooooo very coool too. Very Happy

I mean no harm zen

Shocked

vomit

Wow, like... big heart-shaped biscuits in the sky... and friendly mushrooms in comfortable boots. kiss

Totally righteous. king

Just another normal night in for yerself then PJ? kiss guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Fri May 25, 2012 6:09 am

More people died from peanut allergies than from reffer last year.

Morning all, 18 degrees already, going to be another hot one
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri May 25, 2012 6:32 am

Morning Hoog, it wouldn't surprise me if more people died from choking on peanuts...

Ridiculously hot here too - and guess who's going to be plastering in the heat of the afternoon... Sad
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Fri May 25, 2012 6:43 am

In his statement today the Coroner said

"This is getting out of control, I'm seeing it more and more often and its heartbreaking for me and for the family's of the victims"

He continued

"It's this irresponsible actions of people who believe they are invincible, often the young professional type, generally male, but we are seeing an increase in female victims, that is the root of this problem"

He concluded

"People know the risks when they eat these things and still choose to take the risk, education on the matter is not working. What the solution is I just don't know but the whole system needs an overall"

Bottom line Peanuts kill.
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 6:52 am

Cold here by us, 11 degrees, should reach 16-18 hopefully today. Doh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri May 25, 2012 7:17 am

Morning Biltong, make sure you get a vest on bud.

I say ban peanuts - the irresponsible use of peanuts is clearly out of control, unless someone takes a stand on this blight of modern society, what hope is there for our children!

Where do you stand on peanuts Biltong?

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual HEC Final Rugby Pub, Twickenham - Page 20 1347041234
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 7:19 am

Morning.

I suppose now it's finally bone dry, I need to do some weeding. Ah well, it was good blagging it while I could. What else would you want to do on a day off anyway? Need to make time to watch State of Origin though. Was delighted to see people mention that, as I got to sky plus a repeat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 25, 2012 7:20 am

Down with peanuts boxing

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri May 25, 2012 7:23 am

Problem with peanuts are sometimes they can be the same size as your brain, doesn't say much about the brain.

The peanut in itself is really harmless, it is more a case of parents not teaching their kids how to eat them.

I say ban parents.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next