The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bute - post fight press conference/comments

+15
TopHat24/7
azania
bellchees
paperbag_puncher
alfredperami
The Galveston Giant
Adam D
jimdig
J.Benson II
Super D Boon
lfc91
Fists of Fury
SharkSoul
Seanusarrilius
Commander
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bute - post fight press conference/comments Empty Bute - post fight press conference/comments

Post by Commander Mon 28 May 2012, 4:13 pm

1. On what he will do now:

"I want to avoid talking about boxing. I need rest. After a month or month and a half I will return to Montreal. It was a difficult period. It is time for recovery. 2nd fight with Froch is in the contract and he is required to offer it and it will be in Montreal. Or I think it will be there. I will consider all things with my trainer and my staff. I do not know how long it will take until the rematch. It's possible we both take a fight each before it. "

2. On whether he will accept advice from other greats rather than only his entourage:

"I do not know. Maybe I'll go to to Leonard Dorin's pub and speak with him. I want to thank the Romanians for being in large numbers in Nottingham and for making their presence felt in the room. Do not lose hope for that I can come back and I'll be stronger. "

3. On what or whom he blames for his defeat:

"If I would find excuses? No excuses. I agreed to go there. There were problems in training, but these are part of the sport. I thought I could win. Thing with the foot lasted just several days. I took antibiotics, but that wasn't the problem. Important people were with me. From all areas. I have lived such moments before in my career in amateur boxing matches. There were heavy defeats there and I bounced back. For me it was a hard defeat and for Froch it was a total victory."

4. On whether Interbox will appeal based on Eddie Hearn's misconduct and Froch's rabbit punches?

"Absolutely not. How can I appeal? That's not why I lost. It must be said. He won on merit. Next time I will take revenge. He won on merit. I helped him the most. I was surprised. In all rounds he had good punches. In the 4th he surprised me the most. And he cannot be accused of hits after the gong. In the uproar that was there you can hardly hear very well. "

5. On what he did good in the fight:

"In the third round I surprised him, I hit him good and that's why he admitted afterwards that he could've been one of my many KO's too. But this was not our strategy. I cannot blame the trainer. My plan was to stay in the center of the ring, to box with him. After the third round I thought I can lure him in the corner to hit him with my left on the counter and finish him. But I failed. "

6. On how it feels not to be a champion any more.

"In the past 4 years I returned home with the belt, this time, unfortunately I came without it. Saturday night I lost it. I lost a battle not a war. When will I get it back? We will see. I want to rest now, I need it. It was a hard and long training camp and now I'm tired and need to rest. Seven months had passed since I boxed, but I cannot put the defeat on account of this factor. It was Froch's evening and I must admit that. I was at the final of theSuper Six and I wanted then to fight with the winner. Andre Ward refused and I still don't know why. Then we chose to fight with Froch. I made a proposal to fight in Montreal and he refused. Then I said ok, make me an offer and I'll come to Nottingham. I thought I could win this fight and for this reason I agreed to fight in his home. It was very high pressure, high emotions also, I thought I will win, but unfortunately I chose to stay in the ropes. "

7. On whether he watched the fight himself and other thoughts.

"I can not blame my coach at all. Our strategy was different. I did have a few times when I sat in the middle of the ring as was the plan. I wanted to fight him like that and not to brawl with him. I thought I can lure him in the corner to hit him with my left on the counter and finish him.

I couldn't bring myself to look at the fight. I have the strength of character to do that, but it makes no sense to find excuses. He won in the ring.

Carl Froch won on merit. No one helped him ... maybe I helped him most. Froch kicks like a mule. If I wasn't surprised, I would not have lost. He had very good moments. His blows hurt me. I was confused, unbalanced, stressed, and in the fifth round he clearly dominated me."

Commander

Back to top Go down

Bute - post fight press conference/comments Empty Re: Bute - post fight press conference/comments

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 4:16 pm

Wow, I am officailly in awe at the dececy of this man. Total sport - even on the Hearn stuff.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Bute - post fight press conference/comments Empty Re: Bute - post fight press conference/comments

Post by SharkSoul Mon 28 May 2012, 4:23 pm

If only this honesty was fluid throughout boxing. Frank acceptance by Bute that on the night he was just beaten by the better man. I take my proverbial 'hat' off to him. True Gent.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 28 May 2012, 4:25 pm

Very classy stuff from Bute. Refreshing.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 28 May 2012, 4:26 pm

Nice to see some boxers admitting that the better man won, simple as that.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 28 May 2012, 4:27 pm

No reason why Bute shouldn't take the rematch. He was blasted out of there but it could just have been a bad day at the office. A very bad day at the office actually. Make it one of those days where he gets a ton of deadlines to do all within the hour and he makes none of them, spills coffee on his best shirt, gets a big row off his boss for screwing something up, forgets to go to an important meeting, gets told he's not ready for promotion and he's just seen that girl he fancies in HR canoodling with another man. That kind of bad day. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 28 May 2012, 4:29 pm

Seems like a decent and honest pro although there isnt much else he really could have said.
Its not like he's lost by a controversial SD or something.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 4:29 pm

Super D Boon wrote:No reason why Bute shouldn't take the rematch. He was blasted out of there but it could just have been a bad day at the office. A very bad day at the office actually. Make it one of those days where he gets a ton of deadlines to do all within the hour and he makes none of them, spills coffee on his best shirt, gets a big row off his boss for screwing something up, forgets to go to an important meeting, gets told he's not ready for promotion and he's just seen that girl he fancies in HR canoodling with another man. That kind of bad day. OK

Take it, but not immediatley IMO. You're right, one fight does not make the man, and Hearns is a HOF despite his Hagler deboshing. But he has to rebuild a wee bit. Couple impressive wins and Froch next year in Montreal. Why not.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 28 May 2012, 4:30 pm

Refreshing to see a boxer take it on the chin in the aftermath of a heavy defeat. We knew there were training camp problems, but nice of Bute to not use them as excuses.
Pity other boxers wouldn't take note, being gracious in defeat is a seldom seen trait, kudo's to him.

But after the way Froch demolished him, I'd be suprised if he didn't hang them up. He's been found out, he'll have to realise that his dream of being No. 1 is over. He could milk another fight or two out of montreal, but can't see him coming back from that loss. He was creamed.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 28 May 2012, 4:31 pm

Super D Boon wrote:No reason why Bute shouldn't take the rematch. He was blasted out of there but it could just have been a bad day at the office. A very bad day at the office actually. Make it one of those days where he gets a ton of deadlines to do all within the hour and he makes none of them, spills coffee on his best shirt, gets a big row off his boss for screwing something up, forgets to go to an important meeting, gets told he's not ready for promotion and he's just seen that girl he fancies in HR canoodling with another man. That kind of bad day. OK

And that man is his identical twin brother.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 28 May 2012, 4:32 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

Take it, but not immediatley IMO. You're right, one fight does not make the man, and Hearns is a HOF despite his Hagler deboshing. But he has to rebuild a wee bit. Couple impressive wins and Froch next year in Montreal. Why not.

How long has Bute got before his rematch clause expires?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Adam D wrote:

And that man is his identical twin brother.

I think he will return. He wont want to bow out like that, I wouldn't think. It was a massacre though, you are right, so couldn't blame him.

Bute has world class power and perhaps (although he took some big blows and stayed up if not entirely conscious) a suspect chin. He could become extremley exciting to watch with those tools. Doesn't bode for a long career tho.

Either way, what a gentleman. I wish him well.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 28 May 2012, 4:38 pm

Classy, could tell that the way he applauded the crowd after the beating he took,held his head high and took his first defeat on the chin, that takes balls.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 28 May 2012, 4:41 pm

alma wrote:

is this spoken from experience?

No comment.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Mon 28 May 2012, 4:41 pm

clap not a lot more you can say about that.
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 28 May 2012, 4:54 pm

I can't honestly see him taking the re-match to be perfectly honest and if he does it is only for the payday now that the '0' has disappeared.

Why would you take it after such a convincing demolition? If your chin can't take his punches then what do you think Froch is going to do in the re-match? Tickle Him? I don't think so.

Unfortunately for Bute he has been exposed now and either retires/heads back to Canada and fights 2nd tier guys for the remainder of his career. Psychologically the toll that such a crushing defeat has upon a boxer could potentially put an end to him.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Mon 28 May 2012, 4:59 pm

SharkSoul wrote:
I can't honestly see him taking the re-match to be perfectly honest and if he does it is only for the payday now that the '0' has disappeared.

Why would you take it after such a convincing demolition? If your chin can't take his punches then what do you think Froch is going to do in the re-match? Tickle Him? I don't think so.

Unfortunately for Bute he has been exposed now and either retires/heads back to Canada and fights 2nd tier guys for the remainder of his career. Psychologically the toll that such a crushing defeat has upon a boxer could potentially put an end to him.

I would say his chin took a fair bit (more than I thought he could). It was more a case of the tactics he employed (or lack thereof) meant he was just trying to slug it out with a slugger. He fought Froch's fight in Froch's back yard - big mistake for anyone.

Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 28 May 2012, 5:02 pm

I am reminded of Lennox Lewis v Hasim Rahman though. Lewis was sparked but invoked the immediate rematch clause and sparked Rahman back. I suppose it depends on whether Bute feels he had a really bad night or was shown up as not being all he thought he was.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 28 May 2012, 5:06 pm

I don't mean to be overly harsh or insensitive but Bute couldn't really be anything but gracious. The fight was so one sided and result so comprehensive that he has no other play here. Its not like he was winning and got caught late with a lucky shot or lost a close decision. He pretty much lost every second of every round.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2012, 5:09 pm

SharkSoul wrote:

Shark, you say Bute was exposed but then so was Froch against Ward. The signs were actually there against Taylor and Darrell that he struggled with clever boxers, hence the reason many thought Bute would be a big ask. However, he knuckled down and worked on his failings so why can't Bute. His chin didn't let him down, he simply didn't know how to react to being hit.

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 28 May 2012, 5:18 pm

First and foremost in response to paperbag, granted he was out classed massively by Froch but he could of pulled so many excuses out postfight regardless of how it went (If you remember a certain Mr Haye employed a similar tactic last year).

Commander - How did he fight Frochs fight exactly? He was swarmed upon by Froch and when a guy has you on the ropes and repeatedly unloads on your head that isn't fighting someone elses fight. Bute didn't slug it, he didn't do anything, even if he was trying to counter or fight on the outside looking to land that body shot he had no choice once Froch pounced on him. As soon as Froch saw what his shots were doing to Bute that was game over.

Dave I just don't think Bute can do it now, he was exposed simple. I'm not saying everyone bangs like Froch but who else do you think he could take on in that division? Does this not raise a very valid point as to maybe why he stayed out of The Super Six? I would put money on him finishing at the bottom of that pile if he had went into it.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 28 May 2012, 5:18 pm

He just needs to stay away from the punchers of the division, like Kessler and Froch. I think he'd be OK against Abraham and just box his ears of like everyone else as he doesn't apply the same pressure as Froch despite being a huge puncher. I still think Bute gives Ward more trouble than any of the other guys at 168lbs and I think he'd beat Dirrell as well.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 28 May 2012, 5:22 pm

SharkSoul wrote:
First and foremost in response to paperbag, granted he was out classed massively by Froch but he could of pulled so many excuses out postfight regardless of how it went (If you remember a certain Mr Haye employed a similar tactic last year).

I don't think he could have. Haye was dominated by the long standing best in the division and didn't ship much punishment. Bute was absolutely knocked into next week by a guy he was expected to beat. Froch fought cleanly and dominated every round. Bute couldnt have come out with any excuses the result was too comprehensive for that.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 5:26 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:I don't mean to be overly harsh or insensitive but Bute couldn't really be anything but gracious. The fight was so one sided and result so comprehensive that he has no other play here. Its not like he was winning and got caught late with a lucky shot or lost a close decision. He pretty much lost every second of every round.

He really could have been less gracious. You have heard all the same kind of excuses I have in the past. Bute is being way more gracious than most. Him and Katsidis are the two best for this in defeat I can recall.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 28 May 2012, 5:29 pm

He could of came up with a multitude of excuses all of which you say you didn't want to highlight prior to the fight (Training camp didn't go well, struggled with weight, injury etc)

Bute doesn't give Ward any problems at all. I think Ward could would stop Bute not in the same fashion as Froch but just by shot accuracy accumulation in a later round. Ward is a classy operator and the best in that division hands down.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 28 May 2012, 5:32 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:I don't mean to be overly harsh or insensitive but Bute couldn't really be anything but gracious. The fight was so one sided and result so comprehensive that he has no other play here. Its not like he was winning and got caught late with a lucky shot or lost a close decision. He pretty much lost every second of every round.

He really could have been less gracious. You have heard all the same kind of excuses I have in the past. Bute is being way more gracious than most. Him and Katsidis are the two best for this in defeat I can recall.

Not in those circumstances. Being gracious was his only option. He was clearly and decisively beaten by the better man. He wasn't in that fight for one second he has no excuses and that's why he has to be gracious. As i said it wasn't a lucky shot that did for him he was taken apart over 5 rounds.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 28 May 2012, 5:33 pm

SharkSoul wrote:He could of came up with a multitude of excuses all of which you say you didn't want to highlight prior to the fight (Training camp didn't go well, struggled with weight, injury etc)

Bute doesn't give Ward any problems at all. I think Ward could would stop Bute not in the same fashion as Froch but just by shot accuracy accumulation in a later round. Ward is a classy operator and the best in that division hands down.

Strange world we live in where someone is getting praise heaped on them for telling the truth and not being a dick.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 5:35 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
SharkSoul wrote:He could of came up with a multitude of excuses all of which you say you didn't want to highlight prior to the fight (Training camp didn't go well, struggled with weight, injury etc)

Strange world we live in where someone is getting praise heaped on them for telling the truth and not being a dick.

This is boxing mate, where we are lied to constantly, even when we witness events with our own two eyes, so yeah, I will praise a man who has the courage to admit his failings with such digninty. Practically every fighter I ever watch makes excuses, even when beaten as comprehensively as this. Bute is a gent, and not just for this, but for the way he conducted himself thorughout.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 5:36 pm

And I was one of his harshest critics, ha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 28 May 2012, 5:40 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:

This is boxing mate, where we are lied to constantly, even when we witness events with our own two eyes, so yeah, I will praise a man who has the courage to admit his failings with such digninty. Practically every fighter I ever watch makes excuses, even when beaten as comprehensively as this. Bute is a gent, and not just for this, but for the way he conducted himself thorughout.

The point I was trying to make Sean, you just nailed it.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 28 May 2012, 5:46 pm

Not doubting hes a gracious and dignified man. Clapping the result shows this. He didn't have to do that. But admitting he was comprehensively beaten isn't really enough for me to congratulate him. You'd swear he'd just won a Nobel Peace Prize some of the praise hes getting. He admitted he got beat up. Good man.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Mon 28 May 2012, 5:48 pm

he could just as easily if not more so, have said nothing.

he and his team have been extremely classy throughout pre and post bout pressers. they could have been shouting their mouths off before the fight and run away after.

classy team and intelligent response to a loss of such magnitude is a rare thing in boxing and thats good to see, everyone loves a bit of needle but when you are fighting to discover who is the better at the top of the game there is no need.
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 5:48 pm

Yep, Brits love a humble loser.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 28 May 2012, 5:51 pm

Super D Boon wrote:I am reminded of Lennox Lewis v Hasim Rahman though. Lewis was sparked but invoked the immediate rematch clause and sparked Rahman back. I suppose it depends on whether Bute feels he had a really bad night or was shown up as not being all he thought he was.

Lewis was dropped with one unique excellent punch though, he didn't ship any punishment. The way that fight went there is nothing to suggest a rematch would be much different unless Froch failed to bring his A-game and Bute had problems in his camp we don't know of.

Lewis knew being dropped by Rahman was inexcusable and a case of poor preperation and disregarding his opponent, cleared up those two point and completely smashed Rahman's block off in the rematch after a few rounds of pure boxing lesson.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by alfredperami Mon 28 May 2012, 5:53 pm

azania wrote:Yep, Brits love a humble loser.

Yeah there is that.

But at least for once we prefer the emphatic winner.
alfredperami
alfredperami

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 5:56 pm

Until he loses and is humble with his loss. His popularity will go through the roof.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 28 May 2012, 6:00 pm

Classy in defeat - don't care if he's humble or not, but his honesty and lack of excuse making is refreshing. Always said he was over rated & over protected, Froch exposed him on Saturday and I'd be surprised if he opts for the rematch. Seems like a sound guy though from what I've seen.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 28 May 2012, 6:08 pm

Standard Az comment, expected nothingless to be honest.

Paperbag I don't think the praise is comparative to that of a Nobel Peave Price winner but if you feel it is then ask yourself the question, what does it say about the sport when someone gives an open, honest account of a performance in defeat and it garners this type of feedback?

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 6:12 pm

Of course the guy and his team were classy in defeat. They offered no excuses and I praise their honesty.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 6:27 pm

SharkSoul wrote:

Paperbag I don't think the praise is comparative to that of a Nobel Peave Price winner but if you feel it is then ask yourself the question, what does it say about the sport when someone gives an open, honest account of a performance in defeat and it garners this type of feedback?

Agreed. All we are doing Paperbag is acknowledging a fine sporting event and some very admirable conduct of the people involved. Which in boxing is about as rare as things get. It's only a discussion.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 28 May 2012, 6:50 pm

Hatton had his excuses for both the mayweather and Pacman loses. It makes financial sense to make up an excuse, its smart marketing. It's all about maximising your next payday.

I was expecting him to bemoan his training camp, that his foot problem, meant he couldn't get his shots off, slowed his movement, hampered his defense, yada yada yada...Thats what makes Bute's honesty refreshing.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 6:53 pm

jimdig wrote:Hatton had his excuses for both the mayweather and Pacman loses. It makes financial sense to make up an excuse, its smart marketing. It's all about maximising your next payday.

I was expecting him to bemoan his training camp, that his foot problem, meant he couldn't get his shots off, slowed his movement, hampered his defense, yada yada yada...Thats what makes Bute's honesty refreshing.

That's what many seem to forget. But Bute's honesty is indeed refreshing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 28 May 2012, 7:22 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
SharkSoul wrote:

Agreed. All we are doing Paperbag is acknowledging a fine sporting event and some very admirable conduct of the people involved. Which in boxing is about as rare as things get. It's only a discussion.

And all I'm doing is giving my opinion on the matter which happens to be different to yours. It is only a discussion.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 28 May 2012, 7:39 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:
SharkSoul wrote:

And all I'm doing is giving my opinion on the matter which happens to be different to yours. It is only a discussion.

Very true.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyRubble Mon 28 May 2012, 7:40 pm

Gotta add that both Bute and Froch come out well from this fight.

Bute prepared to travel to Nottm to fight then be very humble in defeat. Froch being prepared to fight anyone / anywhere. Didn't even resort to the usual mindless trash talk we expect these days (aside from Froch's annoying, attention-seeking missus!).

BarneyRubble

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 28 May 2012, 7:50 pm

She gets my attention that's for sure.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyRubble Mon 28 May 2012, 8:03 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:She gets my attention that's for sure.

Just a shame she has to open her mouth.

BarneyRubble

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 28 May 2012, 8:05 pm

BarneyRubble wrote:

Has it's benefits as long as she doesn't talk.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 28 May 2012, 8:05 pm

BarneyRubble wrote:

Doing that has its purposes also. Cool

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BarneyRubble Mon 28 May 2012, 8:08 pm

azania wrote:
BarneyRubble wrote:

Doing that has its purposes also. Cool

Fair point Very Happy

BarneyRubble

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next