The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread.

+55
ChequeredJersey
doctor_grey
Ozzy3213
nobbled
maestegmafia
wolfball
yappysnap
Suspicious lurker
Pal Joey
dogtooth
Cari
FerN
Zander
eirebilly
mankiaow
Otagolad
marty2086
MMC
MrsP
Gibson
nganboy
aucklandlaurie
emack2
profitius
Ignited
Gretgael1
kiakahaaotearoa
The Great Aukster
SecretFly
chewed_mintie
disneychilly
Pete330v2
Mickado
clivemcl
Taylorman
blackcanelion
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Rava
Hookisms and Hyperbole
JmD
valjester
LeinsterFan4life
Rory_Gallagher
GunsGerms
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Thomond
red_stag
munster23
Sin é
rodders
Artful_Dodger
BoyneRFC
Biltong
59 posters

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread. - Page 3 Empty Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread.

Post by Biltong Mon 11 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sorry boys new thread other one is full.

Venue for the 2nd test: AMI Stadium (Addington) - formerly Rugby League Park Christchurch
Capacity: 26,000 incl. temporary seating
Weather http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2192362 (current forecast for Saturday evening is around 3 degrees C and light rain. But last week's snow has melted at least)

courtesy of Taylorman:
NZ team named- only one change- Thompson for Vito (injured) with Sam Cane on the bench...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/7098902/Thomson-in-for-Vito-Cane-on-All-Blacks-bench

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Zac Guildford, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams, Julian Savea, Dan Carter, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (c), Adam Thomson, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Hika Elliot, Ben Franks, Sam Cane, Ali Williams, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Ben Smith

Irish team:
15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
14 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster)
5 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
6 - Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:

16 - Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
17 - Declan Fitzpatrick (Dungannon/Ulster)
18 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
19 - Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Tour Previews
http://www.v2journal.com/new-zealands-june-tests-preview.html
http://www.v2journal.com/irelands-summer-tour.html

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Sat 16 Jun 2012, 10:08 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Added team info)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread.

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:08 pm

I don't trust McFadden anywhere atm, he has cost his team far too many points with his bad defending. From what I have heard, Earls is out of the tour, but also Fitzpatrick may miss the next game. So it could be Loughney starting..

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland vs New Zealand 2nd Test: Team announcements and matchday thread.

Post by Sin é Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:08 pm

JmD wrote:Sin, no self respecting coach would ever change the outhalf in a tight match unless the 10 on the bench is considerably better than the one on the field. I mean come on, I've seen a lot of matches where the coaches don't make any substitutions in case they upset the rhythm when the match is on the line. Only an idiot would change the 10, the position which would change the rhythm the most. All it says about Madigan is that he isn't better than Sexton, which can hardly be held against him. Any suggestion that it shows otherwise is just ridiculous.

Well I'd suggest the thinking is that the test arena isn't the one for Madigan to be getting this experience. When he is good enough to be trusted at Leinster, he should then be trusted to bench for Ireland.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I don't trust McFadden anywhere atm, he has cost his team far too many points with his bad defending. From what I have heard, Earls is out of the tour, but also Fitzpatrick may miss the next game. So it could be Loughney starting..

I thought Earls is going to back for the third match, hopefully Ross will be back as Loughney didn't look good at th. McFadden makes a least one try costing mistake every match in which he has made an appearance for Ireland. After watching David Smith for Toulon at the weekend I didnt think it would be possible to see a winger play worse until I watched the Ireland match today.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:17 pm

rory if anything kearney jr is even more physical... he is a very powerful runner would love to see him play for ireland on the wing

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

A couple of things I have found really frustrating about this thread. Listen, Gavin Duffy is not an international player, but if Kearney gets injured who replaces him? Earls was Kearney's cover and with him out the only options are Murphy (retired, and I wonder what the communication with Kidney over the squad was like) or Felix Jones (injured). Duffy is the last resort. Hardly Kidney's fault. You can argue that David Kearney or Gilroy should have already been on the tour, but have they ever played 15 before?

Secondly, the reaction to the 13 jersey is puzzling. Yes, Cave was not great for all the 15 minutes or so he was on Saturday. Fair enough point. That said, he has been superb for Ulster this season, and if Munster fans or anyone else need reminding of the merits of Cave and Earls maybe cast your mind back to the Heineken Cup quarter final at Thomond. Cave by the way is the same age as Earls and on his seasons form deserves to play a couple of matches before we decide to write him off as a potential centre for Ireland. Where would Sexton, Earls and Murray to name but three be if we wrote them off so quickly.

Finally what on earth has happened to Murrays passing? He actually passes well, better than Reddan, he just is painfully slow. This time last season we were looking at him saying how quick his passing was then. What has happened? Is it coaching? All-be-it I have been a back rower since I started 'big' school, but I never remember a training session where a 9 is told 'now, before you pass, take a couple of steps, then get it away'. Scrum halves are taught to whip the ball away as quickly as possible. Is Murray being taught something different?

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:19 pm

I think we'll see Madigan and/or Paddy Jackson depending on how he goes for Ulster in the Autumn Internationals. Seriously not worried about the O'Gara/Madigan situation at all. Complete red herring in my opinion. Both sides need to leave it alone. He wasn't picked; end of story.

valjester;

I would like to see McFadden and BOD. Trimble onto the vacant right wing. I think McFadden is a centre and he's the more comfortable between him and Cave at 12. I wanted to see BOD primarily at 12 but maybe we need him in his most familiar position of 13 to really have a tilt at beating the All Blacks. Primarily giving BOD the role of outside centre is a defensive move. He'll be able to help the wingers a lot more if he's at 13. He doesn't have to worry about the switching with the other outside centre for certain plays, whether he's at 12 for this play and 13 for this. He will be and out and out outside centre in defence and attack, he knows that role inside out and he can really help the wingers then with some good communication.

I think Kidney will use the same logic, but pick D'Arcy. We won't learn anything about D'Arcy. McFadden could be something new in the 12 shirt. I don't think McFadden is anything special, we've just given so much time to D'Arcy and he's been military medium. Dropping him for Earls was a positive move and I don't want to see us go back on it.

If not McFadden/BOD then BOD/Cave- but with BOD out and out playing 12. So he would be at 12 in attack and defence all the time.

Last edited by Notch on Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:rory if anything kearney jr is even more physical... he is a very powerful runner would love to see him play for ireland on the wing

Gilroy is also a very powerful runner. I like Secret Fly's idea of having Kearney Jr settle at 13 eventually. I hope he can come in here and give some of his own insight on that, but I am fairly sure it was him who came up with the idea. I am converted. Very Happy

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:24 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:A couple of things I have found really frustrating about this thread. Listen, Gavin Duffy is not an international player, but if Kearney gets injured who replaces him? Earls was Kearney's cover and with him out the only options are Murphy (retired, and I wonder what the communication with Kidney over the squad was like) or Felix Jones (injured). Duffy is the last resort. Hardly Kidney's fault. You can argue that David Kearney or Gilroy should have already been on the tour, but have they ever played 15 before?

Secondly, the reaction to the 13 jersey is puzzling. Yes, Cave was not great for all the 15 minutes or so he was on Saturday. Fair enough point. That said, he has been superb for Ulster this season, and if Munster fans or anyone else need reminding of the merits of Cave and Earls maybe cast your mind back to the Heineken Cup quarter final at Thomond. Cave by the way is the same age as Earls and on his seasons form deserves to play a couple of matches before we decide to write him off as a potential centre for Ireland. Where would Sexton, Earls and Murray to name but three be if we wrote them off so quickly.

Finally what on earth has happened to Murrays passing? He actually passes well, better than Reddan, he just is painfully slow. This time last season we were looking at him saying how quick his passing was then. What has happened? Is it coaching? All-be-it I have been a back rower since I started 'big' school, but I never remember a training session where a 9 is told 'now, before you pass, take a couple of steps, then get it away'. Scrum halves are taught to whip the ball away as quickly as possible. Is Murray being taught something different?

Kearney Jr has played 15 a few times for Leinster. The problem with that Hookisms, would be if one of our wingers get injured. Then who moves to wing? Duffy can't play wing, and we have plenty of centres with not a huge amount of pace.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:25 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:rory if anything kearney jr is even more physical... he is a very powerful runner would love to see him play for ireland on the wing

Gilroy is also a very powerful runner. I like Secret Fly's idea of having Kearney Jr settle at 13 eventually. I hope he can come in here and give some of his own insight on that, but I am fairly sure it was him who came up with the idea. I am converted. Very Happy
ye id like kearney jr to get some time at 13 with leinster...he has played 13 for leinster before in the rabbo

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:27 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:

I'm not sure what the quarter final has to do with Earls v Cave. I thought Earls was one of the few Munster players to play well in that game and there was certainly nothing in the game to suggest either one of them was worse than the other. I agree with you in saying that we shouldn't write Cave off after one game against the All Blacks.

Notch wrote:
valjester;

I would like to see McFadden and BOD. Trimble onto the vacant right wing. I think McFadden is a centre and he's the more comfortable between him and Cave at 12. I wanted to see BOD primarily at 12 but maybe we need him in his most familiar position of 13 to really have a tilt at beating the All Blacks. Primarily giving BOD the role of outside centre is a defensive move. He'll be able to help the wingers a lot more if he's at 13. He doesn't have to worry about the switching with the other outside centre for certain plays, whether he's at 12 for this play and 13 for this. He will be and out and out outside centre in defence and attack, he knows that role inside out and he can really help the wingers then with some good communication.

I think Kidney will use the same logic, but pick D'Arcy. We won't learn anything about D'Arcy. McFadden could be something new in the 12 shirt. I don't think McFadden is anything special, we've just given so much time to D'Arcy and he's been military medium. Dropping him for Earls was a positive move and I don't want to see us go back on it.

If not McFadden/BOD then BOD/Cave- but with BOD out and out playing 12. So he would be at 12 in attack and defence all the time.

Notch, I just don't think McFadden is good enough at this stage, and he is not exactly young. He is older than Earls and Cave and is a million miles away from them in terms of development.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:27 pm

Really? Who was that against? I wasn't aware that he had played there before. He will struggle though with O'Malley and Macken at 13.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:27 pm

Rory, Kidney can only deal with the injuries he has now, not the hypothetical ones that you allude to. If a wing gets injured then call up Gilroy or Kearney.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:29 pm

Sin é wrote:

And yes, I think it would be a bad thing - very disrespectful to the other players to have a total novice who isn't trusted to place kick for his Province. Why should Kidney back him when Schmidt doesn't.

No more disrespectful than dropping your HC winning SH who had played well in a win against Australia for a novice SH with only 8 starts in provincial rugby for the WC quarter final.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:31 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Rory, Kidney can only deal with the injuries he has now, not the hypothetical ones that you allude to. If a wing gets injured then call up Gilroy or Kearney.

Doesn't that apply to Kearney getting injured also? The way I look at it is this; Earls is a utility back, and therefore should be replaced by one. The guy who fits that category best right now, is probably Kearney Jr. I agree with you on Gilroy, but not Kearney.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:32 pm

valjester wrote:I'm not sure what the quarter final has to do with Earls v Cave. I thought Earls was one of the few Munster players to play well in that game and there was certainly nothing in the game to suggest either one of them was worse than the other. I agree with you in saying that we shouldn't write Cave off after one game against the All Blacks.

It has everything to do with it Val. Some posters are saying that Cave shouldn't start because he was poor coming off the bench into a side being walked all over by a dominant All Blacks side. Some people are even suggesting that McFadden should start which absolutely preposterous given his performances against Wales and New Zealand. Cave, in a high pressure match at Thomond park put in a monumental performance, much as he has all season for Ulster. I was pointing to that as an example where more Irish fans would have seen his merits than merely an Ulster match. Yet, after 15 minutes he should be written off, but we must persevere with McFadden or Murray for example who's performances in an Irish shirt have been very mixed at best.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:33 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Really? Who was that against? I wasn't aware that he had played there before. He will struggle though with O'Malley and Macken at 13.
sorry i can't remember but it wasnt long ago...ye i want to see more of macken

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Doesn't that apply to Kearney getting injured also? The way I look at it is this; Earls is a utility back, and therefore should be replaced by one. The guy who fits that category best right now, is probably Kearney Jr. I agree with you on Gilroy, but not Kearney.

That's true Rory. I think if Kidney had the opportunity he would have called up Fitzgerald, Murphy or Jones before Duffy. From my perspective I don't understand his call up as Kidney has never shown any confidence in him at all. In last season's Six Nations when Jones, Murphy and Kearney were injured instead of playing Duffy he chose Fitzgerald who had one debacle after another, and then chose Earls. On that basis I would have picked someone else. I am just saying it is not a monumentally poor decision which some posters are pointing to.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

hookism macfadden's poor perfomances have come in the 13 shirt and the 14 shirt which are not his best postion...he is a 12 ive actually never seen him play 13 for leinster...he hardly starts for leinster because he is a bad player...

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

For this weeks game I would definitely start Reddan at SH and would have Marshall on the bench to mix things up in the last 15 minutes.
Trimble on the wing in place of McFadden, who I would have at IC.
Henry at 7. SOB to 6 in place of POM who needs to rest the dodgy shoulder.
Whichever of Ross/Fitzpatrick is the fittest with the other benching. Pray to God that Healy is fit.
I would name McLaughlin to cover both Lock and backrow so we could have a second Prop on the bench.

Healy
Best
Ross/Fitz
Tuohy
Ryan
SOB
Henry
Heaslip
Reddan
Sexton
McFadden
BOD
Trimble
Zebo
Kearney

Replacements
Cronin
Loughney
Ross/Fitz
McLaughlin
Marshall
ROG
D'Arcy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:38 pm

valjester wrote:I'm not sure what the quarter final has to do with Earls v Cave. I thought Earls was one of the few Munster players to play well in that game and there was certainly nothing in the game to suggest either one of them was worse than the other. I agree with you in saying that we shouldn't write Cave off after one game against the All Blacks.

It has everything to do with it Val. Some posters are saying that Cave shouldn't start because he was poor coming off the bench into a side being walked all over by a dominant All Blacks side. Some people are even suggesting that McFadden should start which absolutely preposterous given his performances against Wales and New Zealand. Cave, in a high pressure match at Thomond park put in a monumental performance, much as he has all season for Ulster. I was pointing to that as an example where more Irish fans would have seen his merits than merely an Ulster match. Yet, after 15 minutes he should be written off, but we must persevere with McFadden or Murray for example who's performances in an Irish shirt have been very mixed at best.

Its just the way you have written "and if Munster fans or anyone else need reminding of the merits of Cave and Earls maybe cast your mind back to the Heineken Cup quarter final at Thomond" which makes it sounds like you're saying that Cave tore Earls apart in that game which I don't think was the case. I thought they both played well although Cave had the advantage of playing outside Wallace and Pienaar whereas Earls had Rog and Mafi inside him.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:hookism macfadden's poor perfomances have come in the 13 shirt and the 14 shirt which are not his best postion...he is a 12 ive actually never seen him play 13 for leinster...he hardly starts for leinster because he is a bad player...

McFadden weaknesses have shown he can't tackle, but some are proposing he start against SBW? He can't get a game in his best position for Leinster, behind a player so bad according to some supporters that he should be taken out to the garden shed and smashed over the head with a spade. But he should now play 12 at a higher standard of play against the best side in the world by a distance, against possibly the form 12 in world rugby?

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:40 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:hookism macfadden's poor perfomances have come in the 13 shirt and the 14 shirt which are not his best postion...he is a 12 ive actually never seen him play 13 for leinster...he hardly starts for leinster because he is a bad player...

He has played most of his rugby for Leinster at 13 and on the wing this season and last. He has said is best position is 13. The last time I can remember him playing 12 was against Munster in the Rabo final last year when he was appalling as well.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:42 pm

Does anyone think Madigan could end up at 12 rather than 10 for the future? Size would seem like an issue, but I don't think 12 is that hard to defend from in today's game honestly. Even if you get steam rolled, you have slowed the guy down for the cover defence. Madigan needs game time ASAP, and he won't be completely replacing Sexton at 10 IMO. Sexton will be the 10 for a good while yet. After D'Arcy, maybe Madigan will see the 12 shirt?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:43 pm

valjester wrote: Its just the way you have written "and if Munster fans or anyone else need reminding of the merits of Cave and Earls maybe cast your mind back to the Heineken Cup quarter final at Thomond" which makes it sounds like you're saying that Cave tore Earls apart in that game which I don't think was the case. I thought they both played well although Cave had the advantage of playing outside Wallace and Pienaar whereas Earls had Rog and Mafi inside him.

Valjester, sorry that wasn't my intention. I just picked that game as more irish eyes would have been on the match. Before the series for me, probably as an Ulster fan, it was a toss up between the two for the 13 jersey. I have no problem with Earls being selected as he had a pretty good Six Nations, and did ok on Saturday. But now he's injured he really must start on Ireland. To suggest, as some have, that Cave had a poor 15 minutes so shouldn't be picked, yet McFadden should start is ridiculous.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:44 pm

I don't think McFadden should be the next 12 at Leinster either, he would stick out like a sore thumb IMO.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:49 pm

valjester wrote: Its just the way you have written "and if Munster fans or anyone else need reminding of the merits of Cave and Earls maybe cast your mind back to the Heineken Cup quarter final at Thomond" which makes it sounds like you're saying that Cave tore Earls apart in that game which I don't think was the case. I thought they both played well although Cave had the advantage of playing outside Wallace and Pienaar whereas Earls had Rog and Mafi inside him.

Valjester, sorry that wasn't my intention. I just picked that game as more irish eyes would have been on the match. Before the series for me, probably as an Ulster fan, it was a toss up between the two for the 13 jersey. I have no problem with Earls being selected as he had a pretty good Six Nations, and did ok on Saturday. But now he's injured he really must start on Ireland. To suggest, as some have, that Cave had a poor 15 minutes so shouldn't be picked, yet McFadden should start is ridiculous.

I said it before last weeks game, every time McFadden starts for Ireland it is guaranteed that at least one try will be scored from a mistake by him. I definitely would start Cave, unfortunately I don't see it happening.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:50 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Does anyone think Madigan could end up at 12 rather than 10 for the future? Size would seem like an issue, but I don't think 12 is that hard to defend from in today's game honestly. Even if you get steam rolled, you have slowed the guy down for the cover defence. Madigan needs game time ASAP, and he won't be completely replacing Sexton at 10 IMO. Sexton will be the 10 for a good while yet. After D'Arcy, maybe Madigan will see the 12 shirt?

If someone doesn't put there hand up then I'd like to see that,we would have one hell of a passing game and Madigan has shown this season he can score a lot of tries from 10 so you'd think he might revel in the extra space you get at 12.The only issue would be that of size but I'd like to see him try and if it doesn't work out what the hell he's still going to be a top notch 10.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:51 pm

Darcy and Paddy Wallace should be in the side before McFadden gets anywhere near it at 12

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:53 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:Does anyone think Madigan could end up at 12 rather than 10 for the future? Size would seem like an issue, but I don't think 12 is that hard to defend from in today's game honestly. Even if you get steam rolled, you have slowed the guy down for the cover defence. Madigan needs game time ASAP, and he won't be completely replacing Sexton at 10 IMO. Sexton will be the 10 for a good while yet. After D'Arcy, maybe Madigan will see the 12 shirt?

If someone doesn't put there hand up then I'd like to see that,we would have one hell of a passing game and Madigan has shown this season he can score a lot of tries from 10 so you'd think he might revel in the extra space you get at 12.The only issue would be that of size but I'd like to see him try and if it doesn't work out what the hell he's still going to be a top notch 10.

Fofana is the same size though, and I would argue that Madigan is a more clever player than Fofana, with a better pass.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:54 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Darcy and Paddy Wallace should be in the side before McFadden gets anywhere near it at 12

I preferred what you said pre-edit. Wink

For the first time, I would actually rather D'Arcy started at 12 over McFadden. I said that earlier in another thread.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:54 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:I'd rather have Darcy than McFadden.

In an ideal world neither will get a chance, Darcy playing is Ireland taking the easy option and a step backwards. McFadden starting is asking to be hammered. Cave starting is a step forward and the best option. I wish Earls hadn't been injured because I really think that the partnership with Bod has potential even if it takes a few games to get it going fully. I thought Earls was probably our only attacking bright spot last weekend.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:54 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

And yes, I think it would be a bad thing - very disrespectful to the other players to have a total novice who isn't trusted to place kick for his Province. Why should Kidney back him when Schmidt doesn't.

No more disrespectful than dropping your HC winning SH who had played well in a win against Australia for a novice SH with only 8 starts in provincial rugby for the WC quarter final.

Reddan can blame that one on Sexton's lack of accuracy off the tee Wink
btw, (ROG & Murray did fine against the USA and they were dropped for Sexton & Reddan which I'm sure they felt hard done by).

(And for the record, Ireland didnt score any points in the 25 mins that Sexton & Reddan were on the pitch against Wales in the world cup).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:56 pm

You could say the only reason Earls got any chances though was because of BOD inside him creating chances. We need someone who can open up these gaps, and actually cause damage to the opposition line. The only time we broke the line, was when Earls took the offload from BOD, who created a nice gap for him to exploit.

We have some good finishers on the team, but without any creativity or invention, it doesn't make any difference.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:58 pm

rodders wrote:Anyone else like to see Paul Marshall start the next test?

Marshall would definitly be an improvement on captain slow.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:58 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Reddan can blame that one on Sexton's lack of accuracy off the tee Wink
btw, (ROG & Murray did fine against the USA and they were dropped for Sexton & Reddan which I'm sure they felt hard done by).

(And for the record, Ireland didnt score any points in the 25 mins that Sexton & Reddan were on the pitch against Wales in the world cup).

Right Sin, drop it. Or am I going to have to create a little thread for you to play in, where you can slag Sexton all day long?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:59 pm

Rava wrote:For this weeks game I would definitely start Reddan at SH and would have Marshall on the bench to mix things up in the last 15 minutes.
Trimble on the wing in place of McFadden, who I would have at IC.
Henry at 7. SOB to 6 in place of POM who needs to rest the dodgy shoulder.
Whichever of Ross/Fitzpatrick is the fittest with the other benching. Pray to God that Healy is fit.
I would name McLaughlin to cover both Lock and backrow so we could have a second Prop on the bench.

Healy
Best
Ross/Fitz
Tuohy
Ryan
SOB
Henry
Heaslip
Reddan
Sexton
McFadden
BOD
Trimble
Zebo
Kearney

Replacements
Cronin
Loughney
Ross/Fitz
McLaughlin
Marshall
ROG
D'Arcy

Good team. Just the problem we have is cover for Rob Kearney. But thats a problem Kidney has created for himself. He will probably address by picking Duffy as our outside back replacement.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:You could say the only reason Earls got any chances though was because of BOD inside him creating chances. We need someone who can open up these gaps, and actually cause damage to the opposition line. The only time we broke the line, was when Earls took the offload from BOD, who created a nice gap for him to exploit.

We have some good finishers on the team, but without any creativity or invention, it doesn't make any difference.

Yeah, we really need to get around to appointing a dedicated backs coach rather than having Kiss double job.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:02 pm

sin at least sexton can tackle, pass, run, and has leadership qualities.... unlike ROG

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:23 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:sin at least sexton can tackle, pass, run, and has leadership qualities.... unlike ROG

yea, your right. I can't figure out how ROG could be the most capped Irish player ever.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm

Sin é wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:sin at least sexton can tackle, pass, run, and has leadership qualities.... unlike ROG

yea, your right. I can't figure out how ROG could be the most capped Irish player ever.

Zero competition for his place for most of his time as Irish 10.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:You could say the only reason Earls got any chances though was because of BOD inside him creating chances. We need someone who can open up these gaps, and actually cause damage to the opposition line. The only time we broke the line, was when Earls took the offload from BOD, who created a nice gap for him to exploit.

Earls was one of the top line breakers for the 6Ns (no BOD) and he missed one match in that. I think the ABs at home are on a different level though for putting pressure on.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:31 pm

valjester wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Thats not a very respectful thing to say about David Humphreys.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:31 pm

Sin é wrote:

im talking about his current form...i have the utmost respect for the ROG of the past

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:37 pm

Sin é wrote:
valjester wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Thats not a very respectful thing to say about David Humphreys.

The relevant word in that sentence, which is why your brilliantly witty response is wrong.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:42 pm

Sin é wrote:

Earls was one of the top line breakers for the 6Ns (no BOD) and he missed one match in that. I think the ABs at home are on a different level though for putting pressure on.

I thought I would give your game a go and check the stats for that, as you surely would do the same for someone like Sexton. Now, let me see.. when did Earls make those breaks and against which teams..

Unavailable against the best team in the tournament, so no line breaks there obviously..

2 line breaks against Italy, the game where we won 42-10 and D'Arcy made 4 line breaks..

Zero line breaks against France..

2 line breaks against Scotland, the team that won the wooden spoon.

And finally 2 line breaks against England, so he did well here.

So really most of his breaks were against the two weakest teams in the competition?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Sin é wrote:

I thought I would give your game a go and check the stats for that, as you surely would do the same for someone like Sexton. Now, let me see.. when did Earls make those breaks and against which teams..

Unavailable against the best team in the tournament, so no line breaks there obviously..

2 line breaks against Italy, the game where we won 42-10 and D'Arcy made 4 line breaks..

So really most of his breaks were against the two weakest teams in the competition?

Rory, no need to criticise Earls just cos Sin is a fool.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 11 Jun 2012, 10:48 pm

I am not criticising at all, I am pointing Sin to the stats where he frequently gets his information about rugby. He can draw his own conclusion. Very Happy

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 11 Jun 2012, 11:01 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Read my comment again - I said he was one of the top linebreakers in the 6Ns. (Tualagi, North, fofana, etc. against the same opposition, didn't manage to make as many).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Mon 11 Jun 2012, 11:21 pm

You know what. It would be great to debat the title of the article.
Earls won't be playing this weekend and ROG (unfortunately) will be on the bench.

Notch I did consider the inclusion of Duffy as cover for Kearney but I think I would take a risk there. If the worst comes to pass then D'Arcy would have the experience to cover.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 11 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm

Rava wrote:You know what. It would be great to debat the title of the article.
Earls won't be playing this weekend and ROG (unfortunately) will be on the bench.

Couldn't agree enough- we are having debates about Madigan, Earls, O'Gara. Only one of them is going to be in 22 ffs. And will almost certainly not start.

Though if Kidney does decide to start ROG this thread will get really heated really quickly Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 21  Next