The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portugal v Spain.. Euro 2012 semi-final, build up and match thread

+12
phildange
Ent
Postie
Leff
Duty281
brennomac
Crimey
Josiah Maiestas
The Special Juan
ShankyCricket
lorus59
JamesLincs
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Portugal v Spain.. Euro 2012 semi-final, build up and match thread - Page 2 Empty Portugal v Spain.. Euro 2012 semi-final, build up and match thread

Post by JamesLincs Mon 25 Jun - 17:48

First topic message reminder :

As duty is no longer with us, i thought i'd better get this thread going so we can discuss the first of the semi finals for euro 2012. so guys, jennifer and john, who do we see progressing into the final? Can ronaldo carry the weight of a nation on his shoulders? as much as i dont like to admit it, he is the best player at this tournament, he really does have to full package, and after a slow couple of games, he has burst into life. but will it be enough against spains dominating midfield? will spain opt for the 4-6-0 formation again, i think they will. or will we see torres start?

over to you guys, predictions, thoughts

pred: Portugal 1-1 Spain and penalties. ill risk it and say portugal to knock them out on pens

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Portugal v Spain.. Euro 2012 semi-final, build up and match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Portugal v Spain.. Euro 2012 semi-final, build up and match thread

Post by Crimey Wed 27 Jun - 21:40

Nani should have just let Alves take his penalty and then gone fourth.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Portugal v Spain.. Euro 2012 semi-final, build up and match thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Portugal v Spain.. Euro 2012 semi-final, build up and match thread

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 27 Jun - 21:41

Spain v Italy please, wouldnt expect Germany to handle them like Italy did.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Wed 27 Jun - 21:43

BBC live text shows a stat. Casillas unbeaten in 900 minutes (15 hours) in knockout games.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Jun - 21:45

Why keep Ronaldo till last? Probably the best penalty taker in the group and the captain so he should be leading from the front. Stupid decision, happy he didn't get to take one in the end.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Wed 27 Jun - 21:45

It's ridiculous, he should of taken the first pen, but am guessing he was looking to take the 5th and possibly winning pen, to get all the glory.

For all his skill, he's still a self centered, self serving individual.

In fairness, Spain looked stronger as the game went on, especially in ET and deserved to win.

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 27 Jun - 21:47

I wouldn't the jump the gun with criticisms, it's definitely possible that his manager told him to go last.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Wed 27 Jun - 21:48

Crimey wrote:Nani should have just let Alves take his penalty and then gone fourth.

I thought that too, can't of done him any good being pushed aside as he was trying to prepare himself to take it, felt a bit sorry for him actually.

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 27 Jun - 21:50

Crimey wrote:I wouldn't the jump the gun with criticisms, it's definitely possible that his manager told him to go last.

Then the managers an idiot and Ronaldo should pipe up and say something.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Wed 27 Jun - 21:50

Say Ramos' PK was the best of the ones today?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Wed 27 Jun - 21:51

Crimey wrote:I wouldn't the jump the gun with criticisms, it's definitely possible that his manager told him to go last.

Either way Crimey, it's just plain wrong to leave your best player to take the 5th penalty ? Although I still recon Ronaldo decided himself to take the last one, knowing what a glory hunter he is.

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Wed 27 Jun - 21:52

I'm not sure if you can change the order of kickers once submitted, so I don't think Nani could have let Alves taken it.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 27 Jun - 21:59

Barney92 wrote:I'm not sure if you can change the order of kickers once submitted, so I don't think Nani could have let Alves taken it.

You can't. Like I said before there is this theory about leaving the best takers until last but as we can see it rarely works.

Doubt Ronaldo wanted the glory kick, he doesn't always go last on shoot outs.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Wed 27 Jun - 22:02

Think you right Barney... wonder what would of happened if Bruno had took it and scored (without the ref realising) ?

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 27 Jun - 22:06

Ronaldidn't

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Jun - 22:27

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Spain v Italy please, wouldnt expect Germany to handle them like Italy did.

Portugal have shown the blueprint. Do an all court press on Spain. Germany have better players who are quicker and more incisive. If (big if) Germany beat Italy I expect Germany to handle Spain and win.

Also England made Italy look better than they are. They made Pirlo look the best in the world.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Postie Wed 27 Jun - 22:41

Azania, I agree with that, but the Germans would press against Spain regardless of tonights result ?

That's assuming they can overcome Italy.

Am still a bit bemused why Del Bosque picked a stationary object infront of Torres or Llorente in the starting lineup.That was a bit strange.

His introduction of Pedro and Navas later on at least made more sence, with the added width and pace they offered, against a tiring Portuguese defence.

Postie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Jun - 23:11

I found it strange Del picked 6 midfielders and no recognised strikers. He must have thought they could keep the ball and pass it to whoever is nearest to goal.

Torres is probably finished. His confidence will be shot to pieces. Chelsea should look to sell him if he doesn't start in the final.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 28 Jun - 9:19

azania wrote:I found it strange Del picked 6 midfielders and no recognised strikers. He must have thought they could keep the ball and pass it to whoever is nearest to goal.

Torres is probably finished. His confidence will be shot to pieces. Chelsea should look to sell him if he doesn't start in the final.

He didn't pick 6 midfielders in this game. He played Negredo.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Thu 28 Jun - 11:01

Crimey wrote:
azania wrote:I found it strange Del picked 6 midfielders and no recognised strikers. He must have thought they could keep the ball and pass it to whoever is nearest to goal.

So thats 5 midfielders and a non-striker. Wink

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 28 Jun - 11:24

Crimey wrote:

Apologies. I meant against Italy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2