The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Day 7 Thread

+21
A-Darts
kemet
Woestijnrog
CAS
Josiah Maiestas
Dave.
laverfan
Liam
JuliusHMarx
User 774433
lydian
CaledonianCraig
barrystar
HM Murdock
bogbrush
socal1976
invisiblecoolers
Danny_1982
break_in_the_fifth
banbrotam
The Special Juan
25 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Olympic Day 7 Thread Empty Olympic Day 7 Thread

Post by The Special Juan Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Centre Court: Federer v Del Potro then Azarenka v Serena Williams then Murray v Djokovic then Kirilenko/Petrova v Williams/Williams

Court 1: Huber/Raymond v Hlavackova/Hradecka then Sharapova v Kirilenko then Ferrer/Lopez v Llodra/Tsonga then Robson/Murray v Stosur/Hewitt

Court 2: Bryan/Bryan v Benneteau/Gasquet then Vinci/Bracciali v Lisicki/Kas then Raymond/Bryan v Dulko/Del Potro then Azarenka/Mirnyi v Mirza/Paes
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Olympic Day 7 Thread Empty Re: Olympic Day 7 Thread

Post by banbrotam Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:20 pm

It will be a repeat of the Wimbledon final

I think Whistle

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 pm

With Murray coming out on top this time.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Right.

Federer v Del Potro - I think it will be closer than people think. It's a BO3 so Del Potro's fitness shouldn't be an issue. Nevertheless, I think Federer will win in 2 with a solitary break or TB in each.

Azarenka v Williams - It will be a tough match for Serena but, if she wins the 1st set, she will go on and win easily. All of these so called "top players" really aren't a match for Serena when she's on form as Azarenka found out at Wimbledon and Wozniacki found out today. Serena in 2 with one close set and one not so close set.

Murray v Djokovic - Very entertaining match in prospect. I don't think they've ever met on grass before. Murray's playing the best tennis of his life in my view. Djokovic is playing well but doesn't seem to be at Murray's level just now. He will definitely raise his game like he did today against Tsonga but I have a feeling Murray will beat him in 3.

Sharapova v Kirilienko - Maria (Kirlilenko) has done remarkably well to reach this stage and it sounds like she's playing brillant tennis. However, this is Maria (Sharapova) we're talking about and if her serve is working then she will win quite comfortably. I wouldn't quite write Kirilenko off; who would have thought Dementieva would have won Gold 4 years ago?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:52 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Right.

Federer v Del Potro - I think it will be closer than people think. It's a BO3 so Del Potro's fitness shouldn't be an issue. Nevertheless, I think Federer will win in 2 with a solitary break or TB in each.

Azarenka v Williams - It will be a tough match for Serena but, if she wins the 1st set, she will go on and win easily. All of these so called "top players" really aren't a match for Serena when she's on form as Azarenka found out at Wimbledon and Wozniacki found out today. Serena in 2 with one close set and one not so close set.

Murray v Djokovic - Very entertaining match in prospect. I don't think they've ever met on grass before. Murray's playing the best tennis of his life in my view. Djokovic is playing well but doesn't seem to be at Murray's level just now. He will definitely raise his game like he did today against Tsonga but I have a feeling Murray will beat him in 3.

Sharapova v Kirilienko - Maria (Kirlilenko) has done remarkably well to reach this stage and it sounds like she's playing brillant tennis. However, this is Maria (Sharapova) we're talking about and if her serve is working then she will win quite comfortably. I wouldn't quite write Kirilenko off; who would have thought Dementieva would have won Gold 4 years ago?

Agree with most of that, except I think Novak might just edge the Murray match. I agree Andy is playing better than ever, and his body language has been way better than ever... But I just fancy Novak to come through. Hope I'm wrong though.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:57 pm

On paper Novak should not beat Andy but then on paper it should be Andy who is the multislam champion.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Right.

Agree with almost everything you say, but I guess DP might win tomorrow considering his form and Djoko to beat Murray.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm

It's that old cliché of "my head says x, my heart says y". Djokovic is the favourite and probably might win but it won't be a walk in the park. Strangely enough, I always think Murray will beat Djokovic over a BO3 match on a hard court or grass court. I'd better hope for some rain tomorrow!!

Edit: I meant to add I fancy Murray to beat Djokovic if Murray is playing well and Djokovic isn't on 2011 form (although Murray did tonk him in one tournament badly).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 pm

banbrotam wrote:It will be a repeat of the Wimbledon final

I think Whistle

I wish so BanBro,Murray deserve more than Bronze, but Djoko and DelPo will start as favourites.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:35 pm

I think Mobson will win tomorrow too. Stosur isn't a grass court player and, in all honesty, I never rated Hewitt. How he won Wimbledon I will never know.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Andy is in better form right now and has the home court advantage. I don't ever count NOvak out but it is going be tough for him to win this one. Grass is not his best or probably even his second best surface. A low flat ball or sliced ball or drop shot will give him problems on both wings on grass. Both his two hander and his western forehand are better suited to the high ball, where as murray has a better slice backhand and better volleys that pay dividends on this surface. Very close match, I wouldn't bet but I would say murray should be the favorite.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:49 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I think Mobson will win tomorrow too. Stosur isn't a grass court player and, in all honesty, I never rated Hewitt. How he won Wimbledon I will never know.
Hmmm. Even now he's assembled from spare parts and way past it he pushed the #2 yesterday.

In his day he was a great player, like a wall. Like someone else is today, but with volleys.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:00 am

Let's hope this thread doesn't get bogged down with crap.

For me Federer in 2. As much as I would want a Delpo and Murray final, I can't see it.

Second one more difficult to call. Djokovic not playing well at all, though has an annoying knack of pulling it out of the bag. Murray in 3 tight sets.

Normally I would be excited if it was a Slam or Masters, feels more of an exhibition than a legit tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:15 am

I reckon Fed in 2. With one (very) notable exception, Fed always gets the job done against DelPo.

Murray v Djoko is a tough call. They have both produced some excellent tennis but Novak seems less consistent. He's still suffering from a tendency to chuck in a terrible service game out of nowhere, so I'd say Murray is the favourite. I'm going to be bold and say Murray in 2 with a couple of sloppy points costing Novak in both sets.

And without wishing to sound like too much of troglodyte, Sharopova v Kirilenko is also a match I'm looking forward to watching...!

Last edited by HM Murdoch on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:09 am

I think Bo3 on grass for a men's tournament that the participants really care about winning is fascinating. They all know that the match may turn on one service break and a tie-breaker - chasing to get back an early break is a nightmare. I think it makes them all a little bit more cagey. I think it's a real shame that the final is Bo5 for that reason - we are familiar with how Bo5 matches work at Wimbledon - we are not familiar with a Bo3 title match on grass in a big tournament (and I think you have to accept that the SF participants all really want this one).

I think Murray Djoko is almost too close to call - if Murray avoids lapses the standard he is playing at means he'll probably shade it, but I think Djoko has shown that he is better at producing the required combination of consistency and excellence in the biggest matches and he is my very marginal favourite.

Fed is the favourite vs. Del Po on grass, but as Isner showed having a big game and a big serve in these matches is very difficult to deal with and I expect a very tight match, even if it's over in two sets.

In the women I expect Williams to get gold, Sharapova to get silver, Azarenka to get bronze, and Kirilenko to end up with nothing.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:51 am

I can only see a win for Roger Federer against Del Potro. I'd be greatly surprised if Del Potro wins - no I'd be amazed. As for the other semi then recent signs are encouraging for a Murray win but if Novak can refind form of last year then Novak will fancy a win.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:44 am

Murray-Federer final.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:54 am

Picture in today's Times.

The Talented Mr Murray:
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:48 pm

wow...he's become Agent Smith out of MatrixII.

Is Federer his "Mr Anderson" though?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:50 pm

This is an awesome match so far. Great quality

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:52 pm

How do you post pictures with a spoiler?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Please I want to know the way of the spoiler pictures.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:58 pm

The ITF/IOC must be pleased that their engineering of Fed's cert medal is going well with this dolly draw.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:58 pm

oh no disaster!

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Del Boy is looking like the guy from the 2009 WTF at the moment.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 pm

Fed'd in big trouble.

Del Po playing really well.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 pm

lydian wrote:wow...he's become Agent Smith out of MatrixII.

Is Federer his "Mr Anderson" though?

With Kim as Trinity and Lendl as Morpheus?

emancipator: I upload the picture to another website before copying the IMG code onto here in a spoiler.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Fed will win in 3, Federer fans don't worry.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:03 pm

1st set to JMDP.
As long as Fed reads this forum, I'm sure he won't be worried - he will have read that JMDP has no chance of winning this match.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:05 pm

If del potro gets going like r has done in this match, he's almost unplayable due to his ball striking

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:07 pm

emancipator wrote:How do you post pictures with a spoiler?

There are two tags.

"[" spoiler "=" <SomeText> "]" "[" <ImageLink> "]" "[/" spoiler "]"

Remove the quotes.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Fed will win in 3, Federer fans don't worry.

Del Boy will need to drop his level for that, because at the moment he's got all the answers. It's not just his brutal hitting, but he's playing astutely and setting up the big forehand very well with his general play. He's putting huge pressure on the Federer serve because Fed knows his 2nd serve is not good enough.

Someone from the Swiss team must have had a word with Roger's supporters because they are not wearing RF caps, but Swiss ones.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Too many errors from Federer. Crying or Very sad

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:10 pm

barrystar wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Fed will win in 3, Federer fans don't worry.

Del Boy will need to drop his level for that, because at the moment he's got all the answers. It's not just his brutal hitting, but he's playing astutely and setting up the big forehand very well with his general play. He's putting huge pressure on the Federer serve because Fed knows his 2nd serve is not good enough.

Someone from the Swiss team must have had a word with Roger's supporters because they are not wearing RF caps, but Swiss ones.
Federer is a champion. He is born for these moments Wink
He will win, he is already stepping up the play now.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Break point come on fed!

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:12 pm

And a huge serve out wide from del boy to save break point

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Great return from fed, break point no.2

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Oh goodness - what a shame to dump that into the net.

He has upped his level though.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Fed (no pun intended) up of the disrespect Del Potro gets from the commentators. Why can't he keep up this level of play? The guy is a major champion and should be a top 4 player. It's just a shame 5 players into 4 spots doesn't go.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:17 pm

Fed has now found a level at which he can compete with Del Boy, we seem to have a match.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:18 pm

This Del Potro is rubbish, I read it on this forum. Rolling Eyes
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:20 pm

John Lloyd just said Federer is keeping his level up and waiting for Del Boy to drop his level - nonsense. Federer has upped his game considerably I'd say. I'm a Fed fan, but there is too much Fed worship from the commentators.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Ooof - this is looking terminal right now.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Commentator just said - he can't keep this up surely. Come on, give Delpo respect. I'm a Fed fan, but Del Boy is an excellent player, you don't win the US Open without being that!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:24 pm

What chance did Del Potro have against Federer? I forget. Not over yet; if there's one man who can turn this match around he's on court now.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:25 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Fed (no pun intended) up of the disrespect Del Potro gets from the commentators. Why can't he keep up this level of play? The guy is a major champion and should be a top 4 player. It's just a shame 5 players into 4 spots doesn't go.

Purely because the game has changed a lot since his 2009 US Open success and the injury afterwards.

Djokovic has become almost superhuman and has certainly found the right mindset and his game has clicked since 2010.

Nadal finally added some beef to his serve in the HC's only for that to vanish in 2011. Still he has the stamina and speed to take Delpo out.

Federer is a step slower, but has compensated for that with much more accurate first serve and improvement in volleying. Also his BH stands up much better than previous years.

Murray has added much more weight to his groundstrokes and has improved his stamina year by year.

You have to take into account that Del Potro isn't the best mover. Also his BH has suffered enormously since his wrist surgery. He can't hit powerful BH's in 2's and 3's in rallies. So much reliance is on the FH as we saw as recent as Wimbledon against Ferrer, once it breaks down he is like a fox stuck in headlights.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Even though Del Boy is winning and playing better overall and Fed is not playing badly at all, I still think it's on Fed's racquet in the sense that Fed has it in him to find a level to deal with it. He is doing it on the odd point, but the question is whether he (Fed) can do it for long enough to win the match.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Federer is really dumb lol

Enjoy the Gold Medal plz Djoko/Murray.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Doesnt even look too bothered with how the result is heading and plays like hes sinking in quicksand. Federer 5-0 up on DP this year and plays garbage today. Forgettable.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Doesnt even look too bothered with how the result is heading and plays like hes sinking in quicksand. Federer 5-0 up on DP this year and plays garbage today. Forgettable.
He's been more vocal then before:
'Allez'
'CMON'

He wants this. He'll get it. Del Potro is a great players but I still believe Federer will come back and win.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next