The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic Day 7 Thread

+21
A-Darts
kemet
Woestijnrog
CAS
Josiah Maiestas
Dave.
laverfan
Liam
JuliusHMarx
User 774433
lydian
CaledonianCraig
barrystar
HM Murdock
bogbrush
socal1976
invisiblecoolers
Danny_1982
break_in_the_fifth
banbrotam
The Special Juan
25 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Olympic Day 7 Thread - Page 7 Empty Olympic Day 7 Thread

Post by The Special Juan Thu 02 Aug 2012, 8:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Centre Court: Federer v Del Potro then Azarenka v Serena Williams then Murray v Djokovic then Kirilenko/Petrova v Williams/Williams

Court 1: Huber/Raymond v Hlavackova/Hradecka then Sharapova v Kirilenko then Ferrer/Lopez v Llodra/Tsonga then Robson/Murray v Stosur/Hewitt

Court 2: Bryan/Bryan v Benneteau/Gasquet then Vinci/Bracciali v Lisicki/Kas then Raymond/Bryan v Dulko/Del Potro then Azarenka/Mirnyi v Mirza/Paes
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Olympic Day 7 Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Olympic Day 7 Thread

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Murray needs to use some of those short slices and more of his variety.

Yeah, Novak does seem to be struggling with the slice. Murray not using it very much though.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:04 pm

When's the bronze match?

These semis are high pressure; win and you've secured a silver. Lose and you may get nothing.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:05 pm

Is the bronze match best of 5?

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

The difference between the two players seems to me that Murray knows he is in his best form, Novak knows he is still trying to get back to his.

Murray is committing to the big hits, Novak is slightly undercooking them.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:12 pm

Murray is still playing the wrong way...

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:14 pm

Murray has really weaponised his serve in last few months. It's a clear notch above Novak's now.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:15 pm

Clutch serving. Murray not playing as well as the first set, but serving great.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:16 pm

Come on Novak, take it to three, but then lose after a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long set.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:20 pm

I guess it's too late for Murray to start using his variety in this match. He's going to have to hope he can win playing the way he has been.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:27 pm

If Andy can learn to flatten out that forehand, he would be a different player. The forehand is okay, but would be more effective if it is flattened out.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:31 pm

All done
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

He never used the short slices or tried to bring Novak in, he just played Novak at his own game the whole time. If he wants to make life easier for himself in the future then he should learn to use some of Fed's variety that he too possesses.

Anyhow get in Murray another medal for GB!!!

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

Glad to see Murray through. clap

Djokovic. rose Looking forward to a Wimbledon repeat and the Bronze medal match. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:Novak seems less consistent. He's still suffering from a tendency to chuck in a terrible service game out of nowhere, so I'd say Murray is the favourite. I'm going to be bold and say Murray in 2 with a couple of sloppy points costing Novak in both sets.
Do I win my Novak spotter's badge now?

I definitely get my Novak spotters badge now!

As a Novak fan, this is killing me. His confidence last year was rock solid, this year it has feet of clay.

But, whatever happens in the final, I am now convinced Andy will win a slam in the next 12 months. Quite possibly even in the next 6 weeks.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:36 pm

I thought Murray was excellent tonight. He had an aura about him and everything he did indicated that Novak wasn't going to beat him. That 1st serve saved him so many times which was good to see too. Novak was outplayed at his own game but there's a decent chance for another bronze for him.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:37 pm

Well done Murray. Guaranteed silver medal.

But more importantly, an absolutely massive win for him mentally.

4 breakpoints each, Murray won 2. Saved all 4 against him. The whole match came down to a handful of big points. Murray played them better.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:Novak seems less consistent. He's still suffering from a tendency to chuck in a terrible service game out of nowhere, so I'd say Murray is the favourite. I'm going to be bold and say Murray in 2 with a couple of sloppy points costing Novak in both sets.

As a Novak fan, this is killing me. His confidence last year was rock solid, this year it has feet of clay.

But, whatever happens in the final, I am now convinced Andy will win a slam in the next 12 months. Quite possibly even in the next 6 weeks.
It's tough when the aura has been broken. Happens to them all though, the trick is how to get it back.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:40 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Sorry for the loss HM, but Muzza deserved a win and deserve more than bronze medal, me , banbro and some others have been saying this for a quite a while that Murray is a better grass court player than he is portrayed as. Emanci underlined what Djoko is on actual grass surface.

Fed-Murray would be interesting, I would like to see Murray win USO and Fed win Olympics. thumbsup

3 cheers to Murray for the fine performance.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:43 pm

Well here we are almost a month removed from the 2012 Wimbledon Final and we are set to witness the same protagonists in the Olympic Gold Medal Match.

I am a Federer fan, but I will be as equally happy if Murray were to win it. I think it could really catapult him into slam-winning form.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:44 pm

bogbrush wrote:It's tough when the aura has been broken. Happens to them all though, the trick is how to get it back.

Yep. You guys have all had to watch your players go through it, I guess it's my turn to pay my dues now.

The most painful thing isn't just that other players believe they can beat him again, it looks like Novak believes it too.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

I don't think Novak has too much to worry about. He played really well, but Murray was the better player on the big points.

There will no doubt be a number of people wondering if he's on a downward slope, but not for me. He'll be back, no question in my mind.

Absolutely delighted for Murray.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:49 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Sorry for the loss HM, but Muzza deserved a win and deserve more than bronze medal, me , banbro and some others have been saying this for a quite a while that Murray is a better grass court player than he is portrayed as. Emanci underlined what Djoko is on actual grass surface.

Fed-Murray would be interesting, I would like to see Murray win USO and Fed win Olympics. thumbsup

3 cheers to Murray for the fine performance.

Totally agree, Andy was great tonight. My overriding feeling as I watched was that this wasn't a case of Andy playing lights out tennis and Djoko being sub par, it really looks like Andy has reeled him in as a player. The next year is going to be very interesting...

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:50 pm

Novak is losing close matches this year. But first off great match by murray, really impressed in the way he served and frankly a bit dissappointed with Novak's play on big points in this semi. I think the big problem for him this year is that little big of confidence in his shots that saw him through last year in the big moments have left him to some extent. Now he is losing a lot of the close matches he was winning last year. He didn't play too poorly. Can't take much away from Murray. Deserves a lot of respect, I hope he can beat Roger, not because I have anything against Roger but I likethe story line of homeboy winning the gold on home soil in tennis and felt crushed for him after wimbeldon. As for Novak this is just the process of fighting it out to be the best, he has shown his mettle and will be better than this in the future so things longterm are very rosey. However in the shorterm he has had a poor season from the start of the clay season and now through the grass season.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 03 Aug 2012, 8:52 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:It's tough when the aura has been broken. Happens to them all though, the trick is how to get it back.

Yep. You guys have all had to watch your players go through it, I guess it's my turn to pay my dues now.

The most painful thing isn't just that other players believe they can beat him again, it looks like Novak believes it too.
Maybe, but it'll all change if he wins the USO.

They're all "confidence" players, you know.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:01 pm

Wonderful match by the way. Fantastic level from both players in the first set. Both were playing really well, moving well, defending great, trying to be aggressive....

I don't think the second set was quite as high quality, but had great drama. Novak put a lot of pressure on the Murray serve, but wow did he serve is way out of trouble. Not sure I've seen him stay so mentally tough in a huge match like that before.

I hope Murray wins it, not just because I'm a fan but because his level in Australia, Wimbledon and the Olympics has been tremendous. It's the best he's ever played and if he doesn't come out of this season with a big title it won't feel right.

I gotta say though, I really like Novak. Wonderful athlete, top player and his warm embrace with Murray at the end showed a touch of class I think.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Fri 03 Aug 2012, 9:01 pm

Fair play Murray, hope he beats fed. I do think though Olympics tennis is just not the same as the slams. There just isn't the same intensity and with best of 5 you really have to work for it. funny how Murray just cannot beat these guys when it comes to best of 5 and a slam is on the line. That said I hope he beats fed in the final

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:29 pm

lydian wrote:Personally I think the grass is quicker at Wimby than 2011...alot of TBs and long sets this year for both events.

True. Fast courts favour the GOAT and Murray. Slower ones Nole and sometimes Rafa

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:32 pm

Yes, I've thought this throughout Wimbledon. I don't know if it was a by-product of trying to toughen Centre up for the twin assault, but it's been much less 'Green Clay' than for a few years.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm

bogbrush wrote:Yes, I've thought this throughout Wimbledon. I don't know if it was a by-product of trying to toughen Centre up for the twin assault, but it's been much less 'Green Clay' than for a few years.

The stats don't lie. When the condtions have been fast and both Roger and Andy have been on form, they've now contested a lot of the finals - slower hard courts and one usualy fails to get there

I wonder if it was simply that despite the wet, it has been quite a hot summer in spells, i.e. making Wimbledon faster than previously

Anyway long may it continue - now if we can have a dry next month in the States, we've at last had a spell of good fast court Tennis

Rather than just the Paris Masters!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 03 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:I gotta say though, I really like Novak. Wonderful athlete, top player and his warm embrace with Murray at the end showed a touch of class I think.

Despite his terrible parents (harsh judgment given what they've gone through) I've also really like Novak. Like Andy he seems a very rounded individual - prone to daft errors of judgment, which we all do and learn from

And they are genuine friends - neither ever say a bad word about each other and in fact go OTT to praise the other

They'll be a scream on the pundits circuit in 15 years

Well certainly better than Greg and Pat Cash Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 4:25 am

banbrotam wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:I gotta say though, I really like Novak. Wonderful athlete, top player and his warm embrace with Murray at the end showed a touch of class I think.

Despite his terrible parents (harsh judgment given what they've gone through) I've also really like Novak. Like Andy he seems a very rounded individual - prone to daft errors of judgment, which we all do and learn from

And they are genuine friends - neither ever say a bad word about each other and in fact go OTT to praise the other

Yes Banbro I actually think they would make a great color commentating pair with a real strong traditional play by play man. Good call there, I think they both would be among the more interesting tennis players to hear their thoughts on a match. And both have really good sense of humors, murray can be very sarcastic and bright in what I have seen of him speaking.

Also agree on the harsh judgement of Novak's parents. Frankly, I wish there were more terrible parents like Djokovic's parents in the world, i mean the guys father literally bet his life so Novak would have the highest chance of success in tennis. He got Novak the best academies the best coaches on a middle class Serbian family man's income with two other sons to feed. And to do that he literally bet his life with Serbian loan sharks at the start of Novak's career to fund him he borrowed money at 15 and 20 percent a month from gangsters. I wish 99 percent of the people on the planet had a father that devoted to his son's success. Not the best comment in my opinion to attack the man's parents. Even if they did make a couple of bad mistakes early on in his rise to success they have been very low key in recent years.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 4:28 am

HM Murdoch wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Yes he is losing the close sets this year murdoch where he was so ice cold last year. I feel for you as a fellow Djoko fan. But like you I do hope Andy breaks through he has the talent and he has put in the work. Murdoch I also feel like you in Djoko matches. I literally am on the edge of my seat through every point. Very tough to watch him when he is not at his best but I couldn't possibly not watch either.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 04 Aug 2012, 10:54 am

socal1976 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:

Yes Banbro I actually think they would make a great color commentating pair with a real strong traditional play by play man. Good call there, I think they both would be among the more interesting tennis players to hear their thoughts on a match. And both have really good sense of humors, murray can be very sarcastic and bright in what I have seen of him speaking.

Also agree on the harsh judgement of Novak's parents. Frankly, I wish there were more terrible parents like Djokovic's parents in the world, i mean the guys father literally bet his life so Novak would have the highest chance of success in tennis. He got Novak the best academies the best coaches on a middle class Serbian family man's income with two other sons to feed. And to do that he literally bet his life with Serbian loan sharks at the start of Novak's career to fund him he borrowed money at 15 and 20 percent a month from gangsters. I wish 99 percent of the people on the planet had a father that devoted to his son's success. Not the best comment in my opinion to attack the man's parents. Even if they did make a couple of bad mistakes early on in his rise to success they have been very low key in recent years.

Socal. Thanks for that info about his parents - I didn't know about the loan sharks. In fairness I've usually defended them against some of the more ridiculous comments they got. I mean that time they displayed "The King is Dead" (US Open 2007?) you'd have thought they'd tried to assassinate Fed!!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 04 Aug 2012, 11:02 am

socal1976 wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Yes he is losing the close sets this year murdoch where he was so ice cold last year. I feel for you as a fellow Djoko fan. But like you I do hope Andy breaks through he has the talent and he has put in the work. Murdoch I also feel like you in Djoko matches. I literally am on the edge of my seat through every point. Very tough to watch him when he is not at his best but I couldn't possibly not watch either.

I think of fans of both who genuinely like both players (as I do and you Socal) we should be pleased that we've got a rarity - both players playing well together

If we look back it's like this

1) First four meetings - no contest. Nole schooled Andy
2) First win for Andy - well that was a good decent match
3) Second and third wins for Andy - Where was Nole??!!!
4) Aus 11' - Less said the better about Andy's performance
5) Some clay court match in 2011 - First time both played well together. Nole wins
6) Rogers Cup last year - Injured Nole
7) Aus Open this year - I'd argue that neither played well together for more than half of the match
8) Dubai this year - Nole looked as though he thought it was 2009 Wink
9) Olympics - For me like the clay court match last year, here was a glimpse of a good future with two great players showing why despite still being some of the youngest around they have been permanent members of the Top 4 for the past few years and will be for the next few years

Tennis won, yesterday. The British public perhaps finally realising that there is life without Roger and Rafa

Until Sunday that is monkey

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 04 Aug 2012, 6:08 pm

Well I don't know Banbro I think that Rome and AO final where very good matches. But you are right when the two guys play each other they are so similar in their strengths and styles that it is often uncomfortable for both to play each other. The fact that they both are better returners and great retrievers leads often to matches especially on a slow surface with high error counts with most points being decided by long rallies and forced errors.

I to hope the tennis world can get over just federer and Nadal as the focus of everything. No one is bigger than the sport and it is dangerous to tie up all that is good or great into one or two players and ignore the accomplishments and capabilities of others.

As a Djoko fan I hope that Andy wins the final not because of any impact on Novak's race for 1 or because I don't want fed to win. But I think after the hard work Andy has put in his career and all the big finals he has lost it would be nice to do this for the home fans and for his own standing domestically and in the tennis world at large. He has put int the work and has the talent, lets hope he brings home the gold.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7