The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Based Stars Could Miss Lions

+14
reallybored
BoyneRFC
gowales
whocares
doctor_grey
maestegmafia
funnyExiledScot
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Geordie
kiakahaaotearoa
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
LondonTiger
beshocked
bedfordwelsh
18 posters

Go down

French Based Stars Could Miss Lions Empty French Based Stars Could Miss Lions

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:12 am

Gatland has started his tenure as Lions coach by warning any possible Lions playing in France that they could miss tour if not available for the whole duration.

So who is currently playing in France that could 'possibly' miss out:

Welsh Players - Hook, Phillips and Jenkins

Any English, Irish or Scottish players playing in France that could miss out?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

French Based Stars Could Miss Lions Empty Re: French Based Stars Could Miss Lions

Post by beshocked Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:05 am

I don't think anyone is going to lose sleep over those Welsh players missing out.

In my opinion the only player who might would be useful to the Lions is Jenkins.

The rest won't be missed that much.

Phillips still can't/won't pass the ball - who wants a scrum half who fails at his core job?

Byrne is a good player but full back is very competitive with the likes of Kearney,Foden,Goode,Brown and Hogg.

Hook? Nope better fly halves and full back options than him.

Charteris and Bennett - no.

Bennett can't throw, with the likes of Best,Ford,Hartley he would be kept out anyway.

Charteris is alright but doesn't set the world alight.

For England Steffon Armitage and Tom Palmer

beshocked

Back to top Go down

French Based Stars Could Miss Lions Empty Re: French Based Stars Could Miss Lions

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:10 am

beshocked wrote:
For England Steffon Armitage and Tom Palmer

Palmer is back at Wasps.

There are a few englishmen in France, including former Lions Balsahw, Sheridan, Wilkinson and Shaw (is he still playing?). even if you throw the Armitage boys into the mis, none of them should be anywhere near the plane irrespective of where they are playing.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 am

Good point LondonTiger I keep forgetting Palmer is back at Wasps.

I wouldn't want any of those English guys from France in the Lions squad.

Delon Armitage would be behind Foden,Goode and Brown at FB for England selection let alone being considered for Lions.

Steffon is not in the reckoning.

The boat has sailed for the others.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:24 am

Wagga Hines?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:27 am

So French based players not stars then miss out. Good. That made things easier.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:41 pm

beshocked,

For whats its worth I don't think Hook or Phillips are good enough for Welsh side let alone the Lions. Jenkins is still class and whilst I rate Charteris very highly there are better than him.

Bennett - well enough said I have made my feelings known on his continued selection many times before.

I was just trying to find out if there were any other from the countries involved that could suffer if he decides not to pick them.

Judging by it not many would be missed.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:12 pm

I really dont have a problem with players playing abroad. Surely they are expanding themselves...learning new skills etc...

Certainly Palmer seemed to improve vastly going abroad...and it would appear Haskell may have done. Please dont highlight Cipriani...he's just a knacker.

As long as they dont miss too much of the training camps...build up etc then judge them on their form. If they are playing well...pick them.

However at the moment i wouldnt select any of the current bunch abroad...even Johnny who has been playing fantastic over there...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:23 pm

just to clarify ...the issue is that the French final overlaps with the tour. Hes spoken to the players and told them they will have to negotiate release as (who was it?) did in 2009 if they want to be considered.
Given the small amount of time they have to put a team together its far from unreasonable

Its only those at the clubs likely to make the finals that have to really worry about this.

And as has been pointed out, beyond Jenkins, it may just give him a good excuse to not have to tell them he doesnt think they are good enough anyway.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I personally think Phillips, Jenkins and Charteris would all be in contention for selection ordinarily, so I do hope that they can negotiate releases in the event that their form merits selection at the time. It would be a shame were Phillips playing well enough next year for him to miss out.

We all want the same thing ultimately which is for the Lions to be as good as they can be, so Gatland is doing the right thing by raising this now.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:46 pm

PSW,

It was Alfie who went out to NZ late because Toulouae were in the final
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Phillips, Charteris, Hook, Jenkins, Steffan Armitage will no doubt all be considered for the tour.

Jenkins and Phillips more so than the others

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:33 pm

When the Home Nations players signed for Top 14 clubs, they already knew the probable dates of the Lions tour and a Top 14 semi-final and final. So they don't need any warnings. Nor should they quit their club in the playoff stages to go to Aus. That violates their contract and would put them at odds with their teammates and committments to the clubs. Kind of a bad principle, you think?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:43 pm

judging to his recent form, Aled Brew could be looked at as well. of course current form is close to irrelevant when it comes to making the lions apparently but still Gatland would be better off watching him rather than Hook or Charteris which he might know already pretty well...

the only potential Lion that might make the t14 finals is Jenkins. this thread is really about Jenkins.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:47 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:PSW,

2009? That may have been earlier, bedfordwelsh, but I think PSW is referring to Hines?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:49 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:PSW,

Looked it up..it was Hines last time who missed a final to go

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Gatland made it sound like that was the honourable thing to do, which it certainly was not.

He was leaving for Leinster the next season so he probably thought he could get away with it. I'm surprised Perpignan didn't take action.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyneRFC Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 pm

We've probably seen the best days of those Welsh players anyway. No big loss IMO !!

BoyneRFC

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:16 pm

Wild shout: Johnnie Beattie

No where near the Scotland squad let alone the Lions but if he re-discovers his form of a couple seasons back he could be in the running.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Yh my mistake Alfie was 05
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:28 pm

IMO

Phillips, Jenkins, Charteris are all not good value to tour but to start the tests if Gatland has anything to do with it. There isn't much around to match those 3 players.

Hook is also an almost definate to tour because of his versatility, it means the difference between risking taking Foden, or just sticking with Kearney and 1/2p with Hook as back up.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:32 pm

bluesman, might as well be all Welsh in your eyes. Actually with Gatts in charge I hope that happens so I can support Aus Wink

You're about the most one-eyed poster ever. Still, I think you're probably wumming so I'll let you off!

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:35 pm

I am certainly not one eyed!! You'd prob be amazed at my lions XV or 22!

Sugar where your getting that from I don't know, I criticise everyone when they deserve it and praise everyone when they deserve it!

Give me examples of how I'm one eyed?!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Let's see your Lions team then? Smile

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Jenkins
Rees
Jones
Evans
Charteris
Lydiate
Warbs...

JOKING!

For me, right now I'd go with...

Jenkins/Healy
Ford
Jones
Gray
Evans
Ferris
Rennie
SOB
Phillips
Sexton
Bowe
Roberts
Davies/Tuilagi
North
Kearney

I just can't decide between Healy and Jenkins, Best unlucky but Fords potential in a lions tour is mega.
Cole very unlucky, and Charteris, Lawes I would take too.
Warbs too much bad history with Oz, Rennie has matched Warbs form and come good V Pocock.
Heaslip not as dynamic as SOB, but would travel.
Phillips is a weapon, not usefull, nor useless but what he brings outweighs his weaknesses, especially when you see Youngs mistakes, Cares attitude, and Blairs frailties.
Sexton is the best of a bad bunch, if Flood gets back to form then he'd be my pick.
Bowe and North pick themselves, Cuthbert again is a weapon, as is Visser.
Roberts has proved his worth by his absence for Wales, and I sneakily want to see a backline of the big welsh boys and Tuilagi... Shocked
Kearney is head and shoulders above the rest, and 1/2p's boot and versatility beats Foden to the spot.

So how one eyed is my team?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Very one-eyed.

Blimey, it's actually worse than I thought.

Still, you're unlikely to be persuaded otherwise so I think I'll leave it there OK

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:51 pm

Whats one eyed about that?

Don't throw around insults without explaining yourself!!!

I'm willing to explain any of my picks over someone you'd pick.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:53 pm

It's wasn't intended as an insult, just an observation. I take it back. I think you're VERY loyal to your Welsh players

You don't need to explain. I get the picture thumbsup

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:56 pm

If I were overly loyal I definately couldve argued cases for Matthew Rees, Charteris, Lydiate, Warbs, Cuthbert, Hook, 1/2p, and R. Jones who have all received accolades in the last 6N.

You are a bit of a wind up merchant I take it, and you sound a little like a joke.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Hang on, you say I 'sound a little like a joke'? I took back what you considered an insult so that's that's a bit rich.

I think your posts could be considered a wind-up but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

We'll just agree to disagree, eh?

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:01 pm

Your on a forum unwilling to discuss what you think = joke!

If your a little unnerved by debating with me by all means back away slowly and quietly...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Well, I tried.

Jeebus! Rolling Eyes

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:08 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Jenkins

Phillips is a weapon, not usefull, nor useless but what he brings outweighs his weaknesses, especially when you see Youngs mistakes, Cares attitude, and Blairs frailties.

In comparison to Phillips ? the same guy that got arrested outside Mcy D's ? they are both as bad as eachother !
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Really, you want to compare Cares record to a fisty cuffs that basically led to Phillips leaving the country to concentrate on his career?!

I'm not a fan of Philips, but he is truly a step up from Care, who I've met a few times, and heard some very nasty rumours about.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Classy, bluesman.

Christ, you're a nasty piece of work.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:27 pm

Nasty peice of work? Why is that Sugar? Or will you just wind up and fail to explain like usual?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:29 pm

"Rumours" the day we pick a lions squad on rumours is a sad day .....

Care got arrested for Wee weeing in public , admittedly it was a crime but a pretty common one which im sure the majority of 606v2 users can admit to doing once in their life.

And I have no excuses for his arrest for drink driving but he has served his punishment and surely that should be the end of it, as long as he is playing well in a good team environment (Quins) surely it doesn't matter ?

And i dont see how moving to France from Wales could help him concentrate on his careers for....... Wales Erm id say the complete opposite i think we all know the real reason why he moved there £££££.

Id agree Philips is probably the better choice but to say its because he has a better attitude is wrong
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by sugarNspikes Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:31 pm

bluesman,

Claiming to have heard about 'nasty rumours' in order to win a cheap point on a forum is pretty low.

I'd be very careful what you type.

sugarNspikes

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 pm

I am locking this topic as it has turned into a load of un called for wumming

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down