The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

+66
gazzyD
mikey_dragon
MrPoncho
Beer
Fernando
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Scott is Back
kingraf
lfc91
Kevin Jones
JDizzle
RuggerRadge2611
Azzy
Nakatomi Plaza
President Trump
RinoGattuso
dancingweeman
Paul Mac 6CW
welshy824 (new)
trottb
Brys
TopHat24/7
incontinentia
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
nadeem2099
MtotheC
hodge
Knowsit17
Fists of Fury
compelling and rich
Bull
jimmyinthewell68
Cyril
bsando
Ent
jeromedubois
ChequeredJersey
dummy_half
Mad for Chelsea
Hoggy_Bear
bluestonevedder
Hulking_up
Galted
GSC
BamBam
alfie
teassoc
propdavid_london
Dass
Hero
Biltong
hampo17
Adam D
Kenny
The Galveston Giant
CFCNick
Gregers
BigPhil
Scottrf
hornbloweroafc
AberdeenSteve
Dave.
ADMIN
randy-poffo
70 posters

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 4 Empty Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by randy-poffo Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Did anyone catch the first episode last night on Sky Atlantic.If so what were you're thoughts on it.
I'm a fan of the books that the show came from and was a bit worried how it would come across on TV.But I Really enjoyed the first episode and thought most of the charchters came across well.I'm looking foward to watching the rest of the season.

Last edited by randy-poffo on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 4 Empty Re: Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by randy-poffo Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:54 pm

Yeah the dragon looked fantastic. This is definitely going to best season yet. Still not seen any Ramsay in the trailers but I'm thinking I got a glimpse of reek.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 4 Empty Re: Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:51 pm

The website winteriscoming.net has some tremendous interviews with the cast and GRRM from the show opening the other night - I'd recommend anyone who loves the show to log on and watch those.

Martin sounds like he's never going to get the books finished Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:27 pm

Yeah I like that site. Watched the GRRM interview earlier Im thinking 2015 at least for the winds of winter.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:30 pm

I'm thinking 2015 as well, and then never for the last book, seeing as he'll be over 70 and hardly a spring chicken.

Series 4 of the show will cover the last of book 3, then Series 5 and 6 cover book 4, series 7 covers book 5, then probably four more series after that. Can the show go on for 11 seasons - until 2021? Probably not. Something has to give.

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:05 pm

I'm sure I read on WIC that GRRM had told the producers the out come of the story incase anything happened to him before he finishes the books.
I can see the show lasting if ratings stay high, the only problem will be the age of the cast. The children cast are getting older where as there book counterparts are still pretty much the same age.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Mar 2013, 1:05 am

I've only just got round to watching this. My word is it incredible. Can't wait for season 3

obviously a few have read the books. Anybody recommend them or am I best just sticking with the series?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:11 am

Gazzy - I've always found with a book + TV series/film, that whatever I read/saw first was what I preferred. So for me, I read GoT first, so I prefer the books (although the TV show is my favourite of all time). I preferred The Hobbit and LOTR books to the films (massive disappointments for me), prefer the Star Wars films to the books (which are actually a great read, and what a world they've created for spinoffs), I prefer the book of Patriot Games to the film, etc etc.

But absolutely 100% read the books. The first 50 pages alone is covered by that first scene in the show, and really builds the tension. I've never read a book and been so gripped and excited from the first page.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:50 am

its so close i can taste it
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:13 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Gazzy - I've always found with a book + TV series/film, that whatever I read/saw first was what I preferred. So for me, I read GoT first, so I prefer the books (although the TV show is my favourite of all time). I preferred The Hobbit and LOTR books to the films (massive disappointments for me), prefer the Star Wars films to the books (which are actually a great read, and what a world they've created for spinoffs), I prefer the book of Patriot Games to the film, etc etc.

But absolutely 100% read the books. The first 50 pages alone is covered by that first scene in the show, and really builds the tension. I've never read a book and been so gripped and excited from the first page.

Personally, never got into Tolkein's books. Loved LOTR films though.

As far as Game of Thrones is concerned, I think it would be best to have read the books first and I agree they are a great read. Not been disappointed with the TV version and looking forward to the new season.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun 24 Mar 2013, 3:04 pm

I hadn't read the books before watching the show, and I think HBO do such a good job with shock moments that if I read ahead, it would spoil the show a little.

Things like Ned Stark's death, the end of the Blackwater episode etc just wouldn't have been the same if I knew what was going to happen

So I have been watching the series then reading the corresponding book immediately afterwards, then rewatching the series to see the differences.

Works for me!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:45 pm

I pretty much always prefer the book.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

i am doing the same as Bam Bam and reading the books after the tv series
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:14 pm

That would kill me. I can wait a year for a TV show, but knowing that there are books there I can read NOW? I couldn't do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:27 pm

it is tempting to read the books , but i watched the series first so i dont want to spoil things
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:15 pm

I'm with Azzy on this. Having seen the first series I went out and purchased the first book , but couldn't stop myself going back for the rest...waiting for the TV to catch up is just too much.
Anyone who can , I admire your self control.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:40 am

I've got it bad though, I bought all the video games, I have half of the merchandise from the HBO website (like a dragon egg paperweight and "Ice" letter opener sitting on my desk...), you name it, I've got it. For me, the world Martin has created is superior to any I've ever immersed myself into before. I just hope he can get the books done, and to my satisfaction!

Season 3 starts on Monday Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 4 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

I succumbed and bought it on your recomendation. Hopefully should get my current book finished by thye weekend so I can start this, I mean if you think this has bested the Lord of the Rings trilogy then thats a good enough endorsement for me

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:57 pm

I like the books, but they aren't better than the LotR trilogy
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

LOTR was very one-dimensional. Bad monsters vs good people, ooh let's fire some arrows. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but GoT takes you deep into the characters' psyche, and there are so many plots, twists, betrayals, battles, intrigue, all as you see on screen - it has far surpassed LOTR in terms of depth and scope. LOTR/The Hobbit will always be the classic fantasy books that you give your 8 year old kid to read, but when they get to 12, I think GoT is where they should be pointed to next.

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Wed 27 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:LOTR was very one-dimensional. Bad monsters vs good people, ooh let's fire some arrows. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but GoT takes you deep into the characters' psyche, and there are so many plots, twists, betrayals, battles, intrigue, all as you see on screen - it has far surpassed LOTR in terms of depth and scope. LOTR/The Hobbit will always be the classic fantasy books that you give your 8 year old kid to read, but when they get to 12, I think GoT is where they should be pointed to next.

Agree that GoT is a superb read, and much more complex/challenging than anything else out there in the same genre that I can recall reading. Never could get into Tolkien.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 27 Mar 2013, 2:34 pm

Think your average 8 year old would find LOTR a bit intimidating ...and I think you are being a bit dismissive there re Tolkein in general. It is a bit more than just a fairy tale.

But I don't disagree than Game of Thrones is a totally different animal. In complete contrast to Tolkein's work there is very little black and white and less heroic behaviour...much more down and dirty. The characters are all shown as human beings , creatures of their own culture - even the noblest of them have flaws (except Davos - my favourite Smile )
And just as important , you can feel some empathy with the villains of the story , at least those whose points of view are written. I have found myself warming more and more to Jamie Lannister as the books continue - so much so that I am having some difficulty in reconciling the character now with his action in book one of pushing Bran out the window...people can change I guess.

Won't catch the first couple of episodes of series three , alas ...there are some drawbacks to overseas holidays ! But no doubt I can catch up,when I return home.

Enjoy , everyone ! And I hope George gets on with finishing the next book soon...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

Made the mistake of watching from 9 o'clock last night instead of going the sky + route, how many ad breaks is it possible to fit in? I think there was one after every two scenes, really stuffed up the show.

Was lucky to discover GoT relatively late so could watch the first two series a couple of episodes a night with no ads. A 9/10 week stint for series 3 is going to be quite frustrating.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Tue 02 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

I sky+ the later showing and there is only about 2 ads in the ad breaks.
I too got into it late and only watched the season 2 finale Sunday night.
Zombies, dragons and giants. Hope it's going to be a great season.

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 02 Apr 2013, 1:40 pm

Hulking_up wrote:
Zombies, dragons and giants. Hope it's going to be a great season.

The giant was a nice touch last night, I must've looked as spellbound as Jon Snow was.

Reminded me of the cave troll in FOTR & the oliphaunts in TTT. Give you the impression that anything's possible.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:30 pm

Really enjoyed the first episode last night. and it's great to be back into it! Like a few of you, I watched the first 2 series in the last month, so it's going to be difficult adopting the week wait in between each episode.

Daenerys Targaryen seems to be putting together a heck of an army,especially with her dragons too.

Thought Tyrion was excellent last night.

On a complete side note, does anyone think that Iain Glen would make an excellent Bond?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:40 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:On a complete side note, does anyone think that Iain Glen would make an excellent Bond?

Good call that, seems quite obvious now that you've mentioned it. He's seemed quite miscast in GOT to me - then again it could just be because he's beardless & has short hair as I've thought the same about Aiden Gillen & Stephen Dillane.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

Yeh, my brother mentioned it and now I can't stop thinking what a great Bond he would be.

Can't really say about whether I think he's been miscast, since I haven't read the books. He's certainly one of my favourite characters in it though, I think he's superb. Want to see him kick some arse soon though!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:52 pm

Just hasn't really looked the part to me. To be fair I'm not too sure what a personal advisor to a mother of dragons should really look like. Don't think I've met too many.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:56 pm

Ha, fair point! I've read the description of him from his appearance in the books, and I can see why he doesn't quite seem to fit the role...

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:49 am

Good start to season 3, the dialoge between tyrion and tywin was excerlent.
The reveal of barristan selmy although early was the right choice for the tv series. With it being nearly impossible to keep his ID a secret.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:01 am

My thoughts:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:31 pm

Episode 2 tonight Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 4 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:07 pm

haven't seen epidosde 2 yet, but how did it go down?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:24 pm

Brief view of it:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:27 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:haven't seen epidosde 2 yet, but how did it go down?

Meh.
Bit of a filler episode in my view, not much happened but set the scene for later.
Notice a lot more differences from the books than, say, in the first series.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Two contrasting replies, but cheers guys!

Love the second quote from Jamie Lannister

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Apr 2013, 4:28 pm

For me, quite a lot happened (this just some of the content):
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 11 Apr 2013, 12:58 am

now I see where Azzy and I have such different tastes (see Who thread), sorry Azzy. I watched the first half of the first series having read the first couple of books, and was genuinely un-excited by it all. Maybe because the episodes were a little too close to the books so there were no real surprises, but it just didn't get me that interested so I gave up after about half a season. There were obviously some very good scenes (Tyrion in general was excellent) but overall there was something lacking for me. Did it improve after that or is it genuinely just not my type of series?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 9:47 am

It must be that it's not your kind of series, you're the only person I've ever heard say they stopped watching it. Even my 84 year old Grandad was hooked after watching 5mins of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:13 pm

My Mum loves it apart from the sex Laugh , she doesn't mind people killing each other but as soon as they take their clothes off she freaks
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

Okay, so Episode 3 was potentially the best of the entire show to date. What a great episode - Danaerys scenes, the Small Council scene, Pod the Love Machine, the Locke/Jaime scene. Truly great stuff. Partially spoiled for me by the song over the end credits.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 16 Apr 2013, 4:03 pm

yeh what the hell was that song about ? it didn't fit the show at all

Got to agree Azzy i thought it was a good episode , loved the bit with Pod the sex teacher

Danaerys is getting some balls which i like in a way but not sexually
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Apr 2013, 4:17 pm

The song is the Bear and the Maiden Fair, which is one of the songs they sing in Westeros, but it was covered by some punk band and the writers liked it so much that they decided to put a song with electric guitars onto the end of a medieval fantasy drama picard

Dany's character has changed this season, and I really like it. Gone is the insecure girl who's desperate for help, and needs advice to tie her shoelaces. Now instead she's a confident leader, a conqueror-in-waiting who means business and won't take crapp from anyone. I really like the change, it's been handled well.

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:30 pm

Another very good episode, I'm with you the ending title was totally out of place. Did you notice the singer from snow patrol singing the bear and the maiden far on horseback.
And finally the introduction of the blackfish.

Spoiler:

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:17 am

Ditto all of the above - great episode, especially the ending. wtf was with the music over the end credits?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:31 pm

Tonight's episode was by far and away my favourite ever Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 4 3559488474
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:14 am

I'm not sure if was my favourite episode but it was in my top three.

Spoiler:

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:57 am

Varys is by far and away my favourite character on the show - but Thoros is going to run him close I think.

But in the books, I'm a Littlefinger man. He's been dealt a tough hand on the show so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

Great episode , and another cracking ending
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:19 pm

What makes me sad is that we're already four episodes in. So much is happening that some storylines have barely progressed - Arya / Bran / Tyrion for example - yet others are doing rather well. And in seven weeks' time (they're skipping a week due to some holiday weekend in the States), we'll be another 10 months away from Season 4 Sad

They really need to bite the bullet and film two seasons at once, then show them six months apart.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next