The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

+66
gazzyD
mikey_dragon
MrPoncho
Beer
Fernando
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Scott is Back
kingraf
lfc91
Kevin Jones
JDizzle
RuggerRadge2611
Azzy
Nakatomi Plaza
President Trump
RinoGattuso
dancingweeman
Paul Mac 6CW
welshy824 (new)
trottb
Brys
TopHat24/7
incontinentia
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
nadeem2099
MtotheC
hodge
Knowsit17
Fists of Fury
compelling and rich
Bull
jimmyinthewell68
Cyril
bsando
Ent
jeromedubois
ChequeredJersey
dummy_half
Mad for Chelsea
Hoggy_Bear
bluestonevedder
Hulking_up
Galted
GSC
BamBam
alfie
teassoc
propdavid_london
Dass
Hero
Biltong
hampo17
Adam D
Kenny
The Galveston Giant
CFCNick
Gregers
BigPhil
Scottrf
hornbloweroafc
AberdeenSteve
Dave.
ADMIN
randy-poffo
70 posters

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 5 Empty Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by randy-poffo Tue 19 Apr 2011, 6:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Did anyone catch the first episode last night on Sky Atlantic.If so what were you're thoughts on it.
I'm a fan of the books that the show came from and was a bit worried how it would come across on TV.But I Really enjoyed the first episode and thought most of the charchters came across well.I'm looking foward to watching the rest of the season.

Last edited by randy-poffo on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 5 Empty Re: Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by Galted Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:21 am

Thought it was one of the poorer episodes, lifted by the final scene in Astapor. There just seem to be too many storylines inching along at the moment and not enough time to spend on each - the ad breaks & weekly wait don't help much so will have to rewatch when it's release on BR.

Can anyone explain the point of the Night's Watch & the Wildlings (apart from dressing in fur & growling "bustard" every few seconds)? I haven't read the books so assume I'm missing out on quite a bit, in the series they seem like an edgy cross between Brian Blessed & the Ewoks.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 5 Empty Re: Game of Thrones - May Contain Spoilers

Post by Guest Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:45 am

Sure mate.

The Night's Watch was created to man The Wall, which is an ancient structure designed and built over 8,000 years ago by Brandon the Builder to protect the seven kingdoms from the white walkers and wildlings.

The Watch have one purpose - to keep everything on the other side of The Wall out. You'll have seen the white walkers this season, and in previous seasons too, and the story goes that this army of wildlings, 40,000 or so people, is fleeing them. So The Watch has quite a job on its hands.

In previous centuries the Watch has been filled with knights, squires, honourable men - but 8,000 years without any white walkers even being seen means that it's now filled with murderers, rapists, thieves, the lowest common scum of Westeros. And that's why The Watch are so miserable Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:52 am

Smile

Cheers Azzy - I follow the logic of the Night's Watch & what constitutes it but they seem to spend all their time on the wrong side of the wall, was just wondering if their scenes in the series are as described in the books or if I'm missing something. It was mentioned that the battle between them & the White Walkers between series 2&3 was quite detailed in the books but was hardly touched on in the series.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

There's quite a lot of scenes at Castle Black in the books, far more of Jon Snow's apprenticeship to Jorah Mormont than was shown on TV. A lot more of Sam reading books down in the vaults. And I imagine that Season 4 will show a lot of Castle Black.

The way the Battle of the Fist was portrayed on TV was nothing short of scandalous, it's true. In the books Martin conveys the sheer panic and horror of the Watch as they hear not one, not two, but three horns. Utter panic. Then the Battle itself, while not taking up 75 pages or anything, was really well documented and described. It was awesome reading, and I bet that a good 99.9% of GoT fans were looking forward to seeing it come alive on screen. That it didn't, and it appeared that 200 men of the Watch took out several thousand white walkers and barely looked tired, was to me borderline offensive.

But then again, the TV show can't follow the books slavishly. Perhaps it'll redeem itself in future story arcs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:12 am

Cheers again, you make much sense, I will keep the faith.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

There's storylines in the books that I loved but really don't like on TV - Bran's storyline being a prime example, Littlefinger's another - but conversely there are storylines I hated reading but love on screen (Jaime/Brienne, Sansa). The more the TV show goes on, the more it deviates from the books - I just hope it all wraps up nicely at the end Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:24 pm

Okay well that was incredible! S3E5, by far the best yet!

Episode recap:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm

Everyone has raved about it so the wife and I watched the first episode...as soon as the first topless woman appeared on screen she got all Germaine Greer about it and said gratuitous female nudity was ruining decent programming etc etc etc

I said, "sorry, wasn't listening I was distracted"

In hindsight, not a time for breast based humour.

However, can't say I'm overly impressed with Game of Thrones but then again, I'm not a fan of Sean Bean so that may be the reason I can't get into it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:08 pm

You're starting with Season 1? Stick with it, there's a lot more nudity and events build up with fights / intrigue. Season 2 there is less nudity but more character development, and it's all building towards Season 3 where it is just gold episode after gold episode.

The first episode wasn't the best, truth be told, but after 2/3 it really does hook you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:17 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:You're starting with Season 1? Stick with it, there's a lot more nudity and events build up with fights / intrigue. Season 2 there is less nudity but more character development, and it's all building towards Season 3 where it is just gold episode after gold episode.

The first episode wasn't the best, truth be told, but after 2/3 it really does hook you.

Crazy concept I know but I figured "what the hell" and after the infamous "starting the Sopranos at Season 5" debacle a few years back, I've learned my lesson. To be honest if there's less nudity as it goes on, I'm not really interested.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm

I said less, not none Wink

Season 1 is filled with debauchery, Season 2 has less of it, as does Season 3, but it doesn't detract from the 'feel' of the show in any way. Regardless, there are some great scenes coming up in Season 1 for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 30 Apr 2013, 1:47 pm

Another very good episode imo lastnight , with some brilliant scenes as Azzy has said a few posts up .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:01 pm

I wasn't sure what I liked the most - Big Daddy Tywin, bossing Tyrion and Cersei around, or Little Daddy Roose, who really does act and sound like a mini-Tywin. Two really great performers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:19 pm

Not wanting to spoil it for anyone , i liked the two scenes you mentioned earlier Azzy regarding the back storys . The bath scene made Jamie seem likeable almost
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:52 pm

Another good episode.
Agree with what azzy and Kenny have already said.
I'm really liking sansa at the minute, I found her dull in the first two seasons but is really showing quality at the minute.
I take it the show has dropped loras older brothers.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

randy-poffo wrote:Another good episode.
Agree with what azzy and Kenny have already said.
I'm really liking sansa at the minute, I found her dull in the first two seasons but is really showing quality at the minute.
I take it the show has dropped loras older brothers.
Totally agreed about Sansa, not only is she smoking hot (now that she smiles), but Margaery has brought her out of her shell. I cannot wait for her future storylines, the Sansa character has probably the most interesting one of the lot at the start of Book 6.

And they have dropped the two Tyrells, as well as Patchface. Edric Storm has become an embryo Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:08 pm

Haha I noticed edric had become an embryo, but I think a certain other is going to take his role.
Spoiler:

Margaery is another who is impressing, Natalie dormer is doing a fantastic job with the role.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 3:15 pm

I like Natalie Dormer in a 100% sexual way. She's the reason I watched four seasons of The Tudors, and she's been one of the best actors/actresses across all three GoT series (Conleth Hill, Diana Rigg, Peter Dinklage and Jerome Flynn being the other standouts for me).

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:33 pm

I agree with them, I would also add the actor who plays joffery in that list, he makes you hate him by just having to look.

Overall the casting for the whole show has been top notch.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:40 pm

Jack Gleeson, nasty little brute as Joffrey, really nice kid off-screen. Might end up as the typecast annoying kid in everything he appears in from now on though Laugh

I forgot to add Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr. Brilliant.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:43 pm

Diana Rigg was a fantastic choice for the role , the only actor i dont like in the show is Mackenzie Crook he just doesn't seem right to me
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:43 pm

My kid brother recommended this as one of the best things on TV, so the wife and I started watching season 3 episode 1, but soon realised it would make no sense without watching from the start.

Took a little while to get into (probably episode 2 or 3 before you get your head around the various elements, families and storylines), but we've watched all of sereis 1 and are about to start on series 2 (season 3 looking after itself courtesy of Sky+ ). So far, Tyrion is the star for me.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:44 pm

He's too identifiable for me. And he's incapable of playing such a dangerous, calculating, all-knowing character. He doesn't come across as remotely threatening, if Jon Snow can out-hard him then Crook has failed as an actor there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:48 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:He's too identifiable for me. And he's incapable of playing such a dangerous, calculating, all-knowing character. He doesn't come across as remotely threatening, if Jon Snow can out-hard him then Crook has failed as an actor there.

Yes thats what i mean , he just isn't scary you dont get a feeling of he could do something awful at any second
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Apr 2013, 4:53 pm

I think they wanted the 'big name, small role' to grab some non-GoT fans. It's not really worked, because he's barely been in it, and he's been poor when he's been on screen. Maybe he'll awaken his inner dragon?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 30 Apr 2013, 5:02 pm

It hasn't worked at all , as you know i haven't read the books so dont know if the part gets bigger ? if it does then he needs to up his game as the character is getting lost imo
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 May 2013, 12:48 pm

I won't spoil it for anyone, but his character does get up to some stuff (warging stuff), and Crook is currently acting nothing like the book version. I honestly think I'd have been a better Orell Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 02 May 2013, 5:02 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I won't spoil it for anyone, but his character does get up to some stuff (warging stuff), and Crook is currently acting nothing like the book version. I honestly think I'd have been a better Orell Sad

that does beg the question of why was he cast , like you say maybe the name
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 11:02 am

Last night we had another great Game of Thrones episode. This one was light on 'action', but very heavy on character development and had one outstanding scene at the end. Here's my recap:

EPISODE RECAP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 07 May 2013, 11:29 am

I sat and watched in awe lastnight , as you have said Azzy some good scenes and THAT ending
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 11:31 am

I'm just totally fed up with the Bran storyline. There is no point in wasting valuable screen time on terrible sub-plots (Osha and Meera at odds with each other), why not just have Hodor stuff? It's really tedious.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 May 2013, 11:32 am

I think I skipped Bran in the books Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 11:34 am

I liked the story in the books, it's pretty interesting from a 'history of the First Men' perspective. But on the show, we've just had 6 weeks of Bran dreaming / sitting by a tree. Nothing of any actual interest.

I love the Jon Snow / Ygritte story on the show. The chemistry there is astounding.

And I have to say, I am dead jealous of Richard Madden (Robb) going out with Jenna-Louise Coleman. GoT AND a hot girlfriend? The man has it MADE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 07 May 2013, 11:37 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I liked the story in the books, it's pretty interesting from a 'history of the First Men' perspective. But on the show, we've just had 6 weeks of Bran dreaming / sitting by a tree. Nothing of any actual interest.

I love the Jon Snow / Ygritte story on the show. The chemistry there is astounding.

And I have to say, I am dead jealous of Richard Madden (Robb) going out with Jenna-Louise Coleman
. GoT AND a hot girlfriend? The man has it MADE!

Well the guy is just selfish
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 11:41 am

The guy has the two things I want in life. A huge role on GoT and Coleman.

I console myself that he won't have one of those for much longer Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 07 May 2013, 5:34 pm

He will land a part in another one of your favourite shows Azzy , just to pee you off Laugh
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 May 2013, 3:42 pm

Next episode tonight Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 5 3559488474

And did you see that Richard Madden has landed the part of Prince Charming in Disney's upcoming live-action telling of Cinderella? Typical Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 14 May 2013, 12:21 pm

Another good episode, it was a bit of a filler but still good.

Spoiler:

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 May 2013, 12:23 pm

I'll post my recap at lunchtime, I can tell you in advance that Rose Leslie would get it 8-ways sideways. What a woman.

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Tue 14 May 2013, 12:27 pm

Laugh she is some women.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 15 May 2013, 9:57 am

The pace of the last two episodes has slowed right down, but there were still some excellent moments and scenes in this week's episode:

Episode recap:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 18 May 2013, 11:05 am

It seems like it's building up to something big

Crook is awful and the bit with Ygritte was just wrong it felt creepy but not in a good way
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun 19 May 2013, 6:20 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I'm just totally fed up with the Bran storyline. There is no point in wasting valuable screen time on terrible sub-plots (Osha and Meera at odds with each other), why not just have Hodor stuff? It's really tedious.

I was quite happy when he got pushed off the tower at the beginning of the first series - he was already getting on my nerves then. No idea what the point of him is, I've had way weirder dreams than 3-eyed ravens. On the subject of dreams, I've had a couple about GoT which really confuse the storylines for me - have had to go onto Wikipedia to sort out which parts are my own twisted idiocy & which ones happened in the series.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May 2013, 9:38 am

Last night's episode contained some of my favourite moments from all of the books Game of  Thrones - May Contain Spoilers - Page 5 3559488474

Episode recap:

I'd give the episode 9/10, would have been 8/10 but for the nakedness throughout.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 21 May 2013, 11:07 am

It does get better each week
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May 2013, 11:08 am

Now we have a two week wait Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 21 May 2013, 11:10 am

do we ? why ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May 2013, 11:15 am

In America it's some Memorial Day weekend thing, and last year the viewing figures dropped massively because Yanks don't watch TV that weekend, or somesuch nonsense. So they've put a two-week gap between episodes 8 and 9, meaning we have to wait too Sad

It's the big episode next week, brought to you by the number 9 and the colour red...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 21 May 2013, 11:22 am

typical
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 21 May 2013, 6:23 pm

THank you HBO for Emilia Clarke bathing scenes
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next