The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray-Mitchell is on!!!

+18
Michaels, Sean
Duncan
Rossi
OasisBFC
Heavyweight Stu
Boxtthis
Soldier_Of_Fortune
oxring
AlexHuckerby
bellchees
Sugar Boy Sweetie
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
azania
manos de piedra
Scottrf
licence_007
Liam_Main
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Murray-Mitchell is on!!! Empty Murray-Mitchell is on!!!

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:18 pm

The deal is official, everything has been agreed seeminly. In so happy this has been signed and hats off to Warren with two great domestic scraps. Hope no-one pulls out with injury etc. Mitchell by UD.

Back to top Go down

Murray-Mitchell is on!!! Empty Re: Murray-Mitchell is on!!!

Post by Liam_Main Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:24 pm

Great news! gonna be a great fight.My predictions same as yours Mitchells gonna jab his head off for 12 rounds.Could possibly see a late stoppage aswell though if Murray gases out.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:25 pm

Source??

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:26 pm

It's on Warren's website for one.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:28 pm

Good news then!

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:28 pm

I would worry a bit for Mitchell as Katsidas didnt have to do much except walk him down and attack him - which is pretty much what Murray does also.

I could see Mitchell potentially outboxing Murray for a while but being worn down and got to late.

I predict Murray to win this one.

Last edited by manos de piedra on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:33 pm

I'd go for Murray. Prescott made Mitchell look good.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:34 pm

azania wrote:I'd go for Murray. Prescott made Mitchell look good.
Non sequitur?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:37 pm

Scottrf wrote:
azania wrote:I'd go for Murray. Prescott made Mitchell look good.
Non sequitur?

Very logical. Mitchell is over-rated due to his fight with a limited Prescott. People put far too much stock in that win.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:38 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I would worry a bit for Mitchell as Katsidas didnt have to do much except walk him down and attack him - which is pretty much what Murray does also.

I could see Mitchell potentially outboxing Murray for a while but being worndown and got to late.

I predict Murray to this one.

True, murray fights very much like katsidis, but he doesn't have the same power. Mitchell had outboxed Katsidis for two rounds and dealt very well defensively. He took a big shot and got going, murray can't emulate that power. Katsidis also has a better guard and more head movement yet Mitchell still caught him with jabs. It really is 50/50 , it comes down to if Murray can catch Mitchell or not. I also think that johansson hits harder than Murray and Mitchell took his best shots. If Mitchell gets some of the power he had at superfeather he will stop Murray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:39 pm

I see. But by the same token underrated by some for losing so badly to Katsidis who would wipe the floor with Murray too.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:40 pm

Scottrf wrote:I see. But by the same token underrated by some for losing so badly to Katsidis who would wipe the floor with Murray too.

True. But I saw many flaws in his game against Johanson. He is not too hard to hit.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:40 pm

Game? Jeez, I sound like Freddie Roach.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:44 pm

azania wrote:Game? Jeez, I sound like Freddie Roach.
You wish.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:45 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:I would worry a bit for Mitchell as Katsidas didnt have to do much except walk him down and attack him - which is pretty much what Murray does also.

I could see Mitchell potentially outboxing Murray for a while but being worndown and got to late.

True, murray fights very much like katsidis, but he doesn't have the same power. Mitchell had outboxed Katsidis for two rounds and dealt very well defensively. He took a big shot and got going, murray can't emulate that power. Katsidis also has a better guard and more head movement yet Mitchell still caught him with jabs. It really is 50/50 , it comes down to if Murray can catch Mitchell or not. I also think that johansson hits harder than Murray and Mitchell took his best shots. If Mitchell gets some of the power he had at superfeather he will stop Murray.

I thought against Mitchell that Katsidas just started off slow and hung back a bit. As soon as he turned up the heat then Mitchell couldnt handle him, maintain distance or deal with his shots. It was like a complete mismatch.

However the rumours are that Mitchells wasnt fully focused and perhaps the occasion got to him a bit. Murray probably doesnt carry the same power or pressure that Katsidas can apply but he has a good engine and is pretty durable. Even if his single shot power isnt on Katsidas level, I would still fancy then cumulative shots and pressure he applies could wear Mitchell down.

Think Mitchell needs to have power and have the ability to keep Murray off him and make him pay for walking in in straight lines because if it transpires Murray can walk through Mitchells shots without too much trouble then its all over for Mitchell.

Mitchell hasnt been particularly active which could count against him aswell.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:47 pm

I'd expect Murray to be about 1/3.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:50 pm

Scottrf wrote:
azania wrote:Game? Jeez, I sound like Freddie Roach.
You wish.

Hmmmm! Having heard his slur his voice, I sound very much like him on a friday night. But mine isn't parkinsons Erm

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:57 pm

Think Mitchell will win this by wide UD. Just needs to jab and move for 12 rounds. Murray has a similar style to Katsidis but isn't as strong. He could wear Kev down if he is rusty from having a year out.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 19 Apr 2011, 8:59 pm

Here's a link confirming details: http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=27776&more=1

Mitchell is a decent boxer, Murray a decent pressure fighter, dont really rate either in terms of world level potential but could make for an interesting fight and build up. Mitchell will have been out of the ring about 18 months by the summer which could affect him.

Although this is a decent domestic scrap for us fans, in terms of murrays career I think its yet more time wasted. With his style I think he's not got an huge shelf life yet he's never made any inroads into attempting to compete at world level despite being 31-0. If he doesnt up his level of opposition soon he's in danger of passing his sell by date. There are good fights out there for him at lightweight, this isnt one of them - mitchell has been inactive and got battered in 3 rounds last time out, I imagine he'll be a heavy favourite being in-form and naturally bigger and stronger, what does this fight really do for him?

For mitchells part its a good fight, a chance of redemtption. Murray looked poor in his last outing and has glaring weaknesses that a decent boxer would expose - whether mitchell is that boxer remains to be seen, but he'll have to be a hell of a lot more focused than he was for katsidas or this fight will go the same way. A bad loss for mitchell and his career will be all but over.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 9:01 pm

Murray v Mitchell will sell well. Probably the highest pay day of Murrays career so far plus he will be getting the lions share given the given the circumstances.

I dont think its a bad fight to take. Especially given Mitchells lay off.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 9:02 pm

Sideway step for Murray getting him no closer to a world title shot. Good fight for Mitchell though a win could get him ranked top 10 again.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 9:06 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Sideway step for Murray getting him no closer to a world title shot. Good fight for Mitchell though a win could get him ranked top 10 again.

I dont agree that its a sideways step for Murray. Mitchell is more known for being the man who beat the man who beat THE man. If Murray gets past him it should secure him the WBO fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 9:10 pm

I dont even think Murray particularly needs to step up his opponents to get a shot. Hes been around long enough and has a long enough record that I think its just a question of getting a promoter who can push the right buttons to make it happen. Problem is with Murray is that I dont know whether the management actually view him as having the potential to be a world champion. So I dont know whether they are treating it as defend his Euro title until hes made some decent money in the bank and then gamble at the finish for a decent pay day, win or lose.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 19 Apr 2011, 9:19 pm

Murrays found his level at European level was poor in his last fight while Mitchell seems to have skills one loss doesn't make you bad people Mitchells still got a bright future ahead.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:12 pm

azania wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:Sideway step for Murray getting him no closer to a world title shot. Good fight for Mitchell though a win could get him ranked top 10 again.

I dont agree that its a sideways step for Murray. Mitchell is more known for being the man who beat the man who beat THE man. If Murray gets past him it should secure him the WBO fight.

Mitchells not fought in a year since he was blown away by Kats in 3 not really going unless fish eyes can work his magic and get this to be a world title eliminator (which would be a joke) I don't see how.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:16 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:
azania wrote:

Mitchells not fought in a year since he was blown away by Kats in 3 not really going unless fish eyes can work his magic and get this to be a world title eliminator (which would be a joke) I don't see how.

In world terms, Mitchell is a bigger name by virtue of Prescott and losing to Kats. Laughable I know, but who has Murray fought? Who knows of him? The euro trinket is no longer a guarantee a shot unless you have a name or are just an opponent (Haton Vs Saul).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:23 pm

Murray is top 10 ranked by most organisations Mitchell was but isn't anymore. Mitchell proved he wasn't world class against Kats. Kats isn't good enough at that level which has also been proved. Murray is the only one who hasn't fought above domestic level and this is a domestic level fight. Great for us but don't see what it does for Murray. Can see the benefit of it though for Mitchell.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Murray is top 10 ranked by most organisations Mitchell was but isn't anymore. Mitchell proved he wasn't world class against Kats. Kats isn't good enough at that level which has also been proved. Murray is the only one who hasn't fought above domestic level and this is a domestic level fight. Great for us but don't see what it does for Murray. Can see the benefit of it though for Mitchell.

Money.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:37 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
prettyboy1304 wrote:Murray is top 10 ranked by most organisations Mitchell was but isn't anymore. Mitchell proved he wasn't world class against Kats. Kats isn't good enough at that level which has also been proved. Murray is the only one who hasn't fought above domestic level and this is a domestic level fight. Great for us but don't see what it does for Murray. Can see the benefit of it though for Mitchell.

Money.

You're right more for this than any other fight available to them. Like I said I can see a non financial benefit for Mitchell but don't see what a good stoppage win would do to enhance Murrays chances of a world title shot. It's actually a very dangerous fight for Murray nothing to gain and everything to lose. He could get outboxed by a guy who has been proved not to be world class.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:57 pm

I think Murray is at the stage where hes looking to secure some decent money. When hes happy with that he might have a tilt at a world title. But I suspect, especially given some of the names holding the titles around lightweight in recent years, that his management have not been convinced he has what it takes to succeed there. The fact he blows hot and cold in euro level fights doesnt help as he often follows up a good performance with a very average one which raises question marks. I think they feel its better to risk him later rather than sooner and try wait for the best possible oppotunity. I dont ctually think they have been pushing too hard to get a world title fight.

This fight will do good business in the UK as they are two domestics who are quite well rated and pretty well known. So it should sell well and have a decent following. Far more than Murray v some Spanish guy that nobodys heard of. I would expect this to be possibly his biggest payday so far.

Also the timing suits Murray very well. Mitchell doesnt have a great deal options in terms of stepping above domestic level. His last fight was a shattering loss, his confidence may be low, hes been inatcive for over a year etc. All good news for Murray.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:41 am

How do people think this is a bad fight for Murray? He is getting his biggest pay day against a fighter coming off a bad defeat and 18 months of inactivity so Mitchell will most likely not be at his best. It's a fight Murray is capable of winning and a fight he has to win if he wants to make any impression on the world seen. 31 fights into his career and he has fought no one of note, not even a decent fighter who was way bast their best, at least fights like that can get a fighter like Murray's name out there. Mitchell will be the best name on his record if Murray wins and he is probably the best fighter Murray could actually get a fight with at the moment and if he cant beat Mitchell he will at least know his level is solid Euro fighter but not much else.

On a side note who did Murray blow to get ranked above Katsidis by Ring Magazine?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:45 am

bellchees wrote:How do people think this is a bad fight for Murray? He is getting his biggest pay day against a fighter coming off a bad defeat and 18 months of inactivity so Mitchell will most likely not be at his best. It's a fight Murray is capable of winning and a fight he has to win if he wants to make any impression on the world seen. 31 fights into his career and he has fought no one of note, not even a decent fighter who was way bast their best, at least fights like that can get a fighter like Murray's name out there. Mitchell will be the best name on his record if Murray wins and he is probably the best fighter Murray could actually get a fight with at the moment and if he cant beat Mitchell he will at least know his level is solid Euro fighter but not much else.

On a side note who did Murray blow to get ranked above Katsidis by Ring Magazine?

Think its as much Katsidas just put himself out of contention than anything Murray did. Katsidas has come up short at world level a few times now and is starting to accumulate some losses.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed 20 Apr 2011, 12:52 am

manos de piedra wrote:
bellchees wrote:How do people think this is a bad fight for Murray? He is getting his biggest pay day against a fighter coming off a bad defeat and 18 months of inactivity so Mitchell will most likely not be at his best. It's a fight Murray is capable of winning and a fight he has to win if he wants to make any impression on the world seen. 31 fights into his career and he has fought no one of note, not even a decent fighter who was way bast their best, at least fights like that can get a fighter like Murray's name out there. Mitchell will be the best name on his record if Murray wins and he is probably the best fighter Murray could actually get a fight with at the moment and if he cant beat Mitchell he will at least know his level is solid Euro fighter but not much else.

Think its as much Katsidas just put himself out of contention than anything Murray did. Katsidas has come up short at world level a few times now and is starting to accumulate some losses.

He's got some losses but they're not against complete stiffs he has fought some of the best in the division. Also his last 2 wins against Mitchell and Escobedo are probably better than anything Murray has thus far.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 1:02 am

bellchees wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

He's got some losses but they're not against complete stiffs he has fought some of the best in the division. Also his last 2 wins against Mitchell and Escobedo are probably better than anything Murray has thus far.

I agree, I think Katsidas is basically a better version of Murray. Stronger, tougher, better engine. However I can see why his recent record counts against him with the Ring. Hes basically proven hes not at the top level. Murray, at least, could potentially. Although I really doubt it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 20 Apr 2011, 9:06 am

Please show me this fabled Katsidis head movement... Erm

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 20 Apr 2011, 9:30 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:

Please show me this fabled Katsidis head movement... Erm

Depending on the angle its punched, it either moved sideways or upwards.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 20 Apr 2011, 9:58 am

I could see Mitchell potentially outboxing Murray for a while but being worn down and got to late.

I predict Murray to win this one.

Pretty much bang on, I reckon manos.

Murray doesn't carry Katsidas' power - but he does have a good chin - and he has been in with some decent operators. As such - whilst I don't think Murray will blow Mitchell away in 2 rounds - I do think that Mitchell's jab won't be able to keep Murray off him. As such as the fight moves down the stretch, Murray's shots should start to take a toll. Whilst Murray isn't hugely heavy handed - he's not featherfisted either - and Mitchell's chin isn't good enough to take Murray pounding away relentlessly for a couple of rounds.

4toexplore...
For Mitchell the keys are the jab and the movement. Murray isn't brilliant off the back foot and if Mitchell can control the ring and start going forwards - he should do well. I think this would be an unlikely turn-up - as Mitchell has shown he tends to favour fighting off the back foot and counterpunching. As such - Mitchell's jab must be good enough to stop Murray from cutting off his space and his lateral footwork needs to be better. If Murray backs him into a corner for a few rounds he's in trouble. I see little evidence that Mitchell has the power to stop Murray (unless Murray fights weight-drained) so Mitchell has to try to outbox him.

For Murray things are simpler. Slip the jab, land the overhand right. Cut off the ring, leave Mitchell no space to move. Work the body in the corner. Be very fit, good stamina. Don't do a Prescott and go looking for the 1 big headshot. Punches in bunches should win the day.

Murray is 26 and if he's ever going to make a run at a title - he needs to do it soon. He's still unbeaten, former "young boxer of the year" and WBC youth champion. A good win here would go a long way to kick starting that run.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:39 am

Mitchell didnt outbox Kats for the first 2. It was quite even then the first significant punch that landed, he didnt want to know.

I see a Murray stoppage

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:31 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:True, murray fights very much like katsidis, but he doesn't have the same power

Very, very true. Katsidis is a beast at the weight. Only the very top LWs can beat him.

Murray is a different story. I expect Murray to put pressure on Mitchell and make it a good scrap, but I think Mitchell outboxes him for a close but clear UD.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 20 Apr 2011, 11:45 am

From what I can read into it, I think this is very much a case of Murrays team availing of opportunism. I.e they think Mitchell is vunerable and the circumstances favour Murray significantly.

Mitchell wasnt exactly jumping at this fight. He cited money split first and so on but the impression I get is that he and his team didnt want to be rushed back straight into it. I think they are kind of forced to take the fight in the circumstances.

The lay off could easily be very significant, especially against the kind of pressure Murray applies. Im sure Mitchell would have wanted a tune up fight before this but I suspect Murrays team hit him with an ultimatum saying now or never.

All the advantages are with Murray - money, form, activity etc

Mitchell hasnt fought for over year, has had problems domestically and in training, rows with his own team and promoter and his last fight was a pretty confidence damaging blow out in front of his wn fans on a big stage.

On paper Mitchell has the skills you would think to be capable of outboxing Murray if he can recapture the form that saw him beat the likes of Prescott. But whether or not he can due to circumstances and timing of this fight is questionable. i think Murrays team know this and has made the fight when they know their man has all the advantages.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Heavyweight Stu Wed 20 Apr 2011, 2:43 pm

I dont think we saw a peak Mitchell in with Kats, either mentally or physically.

If Mitchell is 100% he beats Murray for me.

Heavyweight Stu

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 22 Apr 2011, 2:48 pm

remember if what we read is true, one of the first big punches kats landed on mitchell really injured his eye - he needed surgery after the fight and he was out for ages.

if this happened with the first power punch, no wonder mitchell lost.
theres nothing more debilitating than an eye injury.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Apr 2011, 10:07 am

This will probably be off now Mitchell has been exposed as a modern day Tony Montana.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossi Thu 28 Apr 2011, 10:26 am

Where did you hear about this?!

Rossi

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Apr 2011, 10:29 am

On the forums, from the Sun.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:22 am

Think all this debate will be academic, not something I normally do with my mum.

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2011/kevin-mitchell-arrested-drugs-bust-reports

Duncan

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:33 am

mitchell has no heart for the game
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:42 am

Sorry just posted article about Mitchell's bust, didn't realised it was covered here.

Can see him being dumped by Warren. Warren was fuming after Katsidas loss due to Mitchell's poor preparations, then he stayed inactive and threatened to quit boxing after Warren had invested time and money in him, then after being difficult in negotiations for Murray, the fight is signed and then he gets busted!

If Warren walks away, his career is probably over IMO, if it's not already, depending on the Murray fight outcome.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:48 am

Feel sorry for Murray in all of this

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 28 Apr 2011, 11:55 am

coxy0001 wrote:Feel sorry for Murray in all of this

Too right! What's he have to do do get a decent fight?!?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next