The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parkinson's disease - Time to acknowledge Boxing helps cause it!!

5 posters

Go down

Parkinson's disease - Time to acknowledge Boxing helps cause it!! Empty Parkinson's disease - Time to acknowledge Boxing helps cause it!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 pm

My Granny lived till she was 97...she was a heavy smoker (so smoking doesn't cause lung cancer)...she died of natural causes!!!

Same with Parkinson's disease......Not every Boxer gets.. but to suggest a long and sustained barrage of head trauma doesn't have a degenerative effect on the brain is folly.....Parkinson's disease is degeneration of the brain pretty much pure and simple..

Like a lot of things in life we either poo poo or turn our backs on the things we don't want to hear...

Time to acknowledge like all good medical professions do.. that Prolonged trauma is a contributor to Parkinson's disease.....It is because all common sense points to it...

But like my Gran not everybody will be affected...........as different people have different thresholds...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Parkinson's disease - Time to acknowledge Boxing helps cause it!! Empty Re: Parkinson's disease - Time to acknowledge Boxing helps cause it!!

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Did my dissertation on something similar and grey matter atrophy is noted in boxer's brain to varying extents. Genetics also play a big part, in my opinion. I read a study on the presence of a certain gene in former fighters with Dementia Pugilistica and if I remember correctly iy was quite high. Boxing no doubt can act as a trigger, but more research is required on the genetics side.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Parkinson's disease - Time to acknowledge Boxing helps cause it!! Empty Re: Parkinson's disease - Time to acknowledge Boxing helps cause it!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for your contribution Mate......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 pm

6olden - with regards to your research, is there enough data there to determine whether a particular style of boxer was more likely to suffer pugilistic dementia or did you work with stats rather than individuals?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Yeah there was..The type that got hit a lot!!! Laugh Doh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Wilfred Benitez didn't get hit too much yet was damaged goods at 25. Perhaps starting so young and taking punches when he was under developed didn't help much.

But I don't know who is denying that boxing doesn't lead to PD?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 pm

But I don't know........

Not sure how much evidence there is an honest, gentleman like Patterson is an Uncle Tom......

Sometimes though kid....you have to go wth common sense...

Like when Marciano is in everybody's top 10 list......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Uh oh. Mr Insecure wants to pick a fight. Quit whilst behind sunshine and why on earth are you trying to derail an excellent topic YOU raised? Come on my little icalla, show some love.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Don't want cheap types that throw racist remarks about on my thread..

run a long..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Do grow up bubba. Keep on topic.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Racism in football is on the up it seems!! Cool

Thought we eradicated this kind of backward, cheap, anti-social behaviour in the 90s...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yeah there was..The type that got hit a lot!!! Laugh Doh

Yeah - like Lamotta who still has his faculties entirely intact Rolling Eyes

I just want to see if fighters who roll with punches and turn away at the right moment suffer least from it or is it an equal spread of brawlers boxer/punchers and outside fighters.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Look fairplay......I take it back...don't want to go down this road..

I apologise for the cheap digs and race stuff..

Not fitting or necessary and below the belt..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Next time the missus doesn't put out, go see a ho.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I did try.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Drop me a PM and I'll show you where to go..... Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:44 pm

azania wrote:Next time the missus doesn't put out, go see a ho.

Azania - don't pimp yourself out - this is a family forum - get your colleagues involved as well

6olden, if you still have that research - would you mind pasting a copy on here - its a genuine interest of mine.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Pimpin' aint easy bro! Gotta earn a living somehow.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Notice you mentioned "Colleagues" and not friends... Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:47 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:6olden - with regards to your research, is there enough data there to determine whether a particular style
of boxer was more likely to suffer pugilistic dementia or did you work with stats rather than individuals?

I just worked off the stats mate. From memory I did encounter a report from sone Brazilian researchers who performed an Autopsy on a former fighter who suffered from DP. I think they touched on his style, more of a slugger than a boxer but I didn't include it in my report. I'll have a look on line to see if I can find it.

The inspiration for my disseration was Benitez. I watched a documentary on him and his rapid decline. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the presence of a certain gene and boxing was the trigger.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:49 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Notice you mentioned "Colleagues" and not friends... Wink

Even I wouldn't shag mugabe.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks for raising the level of the debate Mate.....

It's not the punishment...more the individuals ability to take it....

Az don't post anymore on here please..I'm not the kind of sad type that uses prostitutes......and I don't want to discuss it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 pm

The research was only my old laptop, Shah. It crashed and I didn't have a back up copy. When I get a chance I'll try and forward you some links to the articles I used. I can remember a few of their names.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:55 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:6olden - with regards to your research, is there enough data there to determine whether a particular style
of boxer was more likely to suffer pugilistic dementia or did you work with stats rather than individuals?

I just worked off the stats mate. From memory I did encounter a report from sone Brazilian researchers who performed an Autopsy on a former fighter who suffered from DP. I think they touched on his style, more of a slugger than a boxer but I didn't include it in my report. I'll have a look on line to see if I can find it.

The inspiration for my disseration was Benitez. I watched a documentary on him and his rapid decline. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the presence of a certain gene and boxing was the trigger.

Alright cheers all the same. I was wondering whether boxers who didnt expect to get hit suffered more (if they had a good chin of course) and those who did expect to get hit and adjusted accordingly, by rolling with punches, turning away so the punch hit them on the end of the distance, Duran, Lamotta, Tua. If anyone can add to that list of good fighters who knew how to absorb punches please do.

I was particularly interested in the case of Meldrick Taylor

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:57 pm

You're asking for the impossible Shah !!.............The ones affected will turn out to be guys that haven't got the capacity to take punishment consistently..

Just as lung cancer and smoking..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Yeah Trussman, that's what I think. Some fighters, like LaMotta, took tremendous punishment but have shown no real signs of decline. Then you get others like the Quarry brothers who both suffered with DP. Just depends on what way you're put together.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Possibly, but its interested me all the same.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Or maybe Lamotta rolled with the punches better than we thought!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:04 pm

I never encountered anything as in depth as that, Shah. My report was based on Imaging and with a 30 page limit with copious amounts of pictures I couldn't really go that in depth with it.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Your report sounds inteesting maybe you can find a way toshare it on here....Golden....

Be interesting to know If say white or black fighters are more susceptible???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:20 pm

As I said my only copy of my dissertation was on my old laptop which subsequently crashed. I might set up a thread in the vault of scholarly articles when I get a chance.

The term 'Punch Drunk' was coined in the late 1920's, Trussman, after a doctor noticed various old time fighters suffering from tremors and slurred speech. From there it became known as DP.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Interesting.....

Please set one up Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Sorry I misread your last post as ' Black and white' fighters so thought you were referring to old time fighters. I never encountered any data split by race but again I wasn't looking for that. I'd imagine that would throw up some interesting statistics.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm no neurologist but from the little I have read it would seem to be that boxing is a contributing factor to things like Parkinsons and Dementia Pugilistica rather than a cause.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down