The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

+27
LivinginItaly
Taylorman
gboycottnut
Mike Selig
kingraf
kiakahaaotearoa
FerN
alfie
VTR
subhranshu.kumar.5
aucklandlaurie
Pal Joey
hodge
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
NickisBHAFC
Corporalhumblebucket
LondonTiger
Bathman_in_London
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mad for Chelsea
Good Golly I'm Olly
Biltong
mystiroakey
trebellbobaggins
msp83
Duty281
31 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread Empty New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 5:28 pm

The three-test series starts at 21:30 GMT tonight. New Zealand are coming into this series very much as the outsiders, after being trounced in South Africa, although they did manage a surprise 1-1 series draw in Sri Lanka not too long ago. England, fresh off a historic series win in India, are very much the favourites and this is the start of a gruelling 15 Tests in the next 10 months against Australasian opposition, in a double Ashes year.

Expected Teams (Cricinfo):

New Zealand 1 Peter Fulton, 2 Hamish Rutherford, 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Dean Brownlie, 6 Brendon McCullum (capt), 7 BJ Watling (wk), 8 Tim Southee, 9 Bruce Martin/Ian Butler, 10 Neil Wagner, 11 Trent Boult

England (probable) 1 Alastair Cook (capt), 2 Nick Compton, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Joe Root, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 James Anderson, 11 Steven Finn

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread Empty Re: New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by msp83 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:25 pm

As far as the England lineup goes, I think its pretty much fine.
As for NZ, I would like McCullum to come in at 3 and let Williamson bat at 5 instead. The lad is a phenomenal tallent, can play spin very well, and has the temprament to bat long and is good against pace ones he's set. McCullum is more for the quick punch and knockout style of batting. If he can play that game effectively against the newish ball, then that would blunt a significant aspect of England's game, andKW is better placed to deal with Swanny and can also bring home the advantage of an early McCullum onslaught. Besides, McCullum is far more experienced than the 22 year old, and has opened in the past.

msp83

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread Empty Re: New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by msp83 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:26 pm

Hope the weather would stay good and we would have a good test match.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:24 pm

England have had to pull Swann out, his elbow worryingly looking like it might not recover they are saying,

The bowling resources look stretched now in this ashes year and the kiwis must be fancying this with swannage out.

England maybe in a bit of bobbins here.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:30 pm

Come on England Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:34 pm

Indeed.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

Good luck to both teams, I would like to see one test win for the Black Caps though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:50 pm

what you want to extend your ranking do ya?- getting scared bilts

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 05 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

Laugh yep,.....err no.

Don't care mate, other teams do what they do, as long as we keep winning test series after test series you can have the ranking. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:04 pm

What else is there to win in test cricket bar the no.1 ranking?

at this rate its gonna be draw anyway!

silly weather.!

I will be asleep before this game kicks off!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:07 pm

In 100 years from now, what will mean more?

SA having played test series between 2007 and 2017 and having won 30 of them and losing 3, or having been ranked number one for 2 years?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

Well I think you will be no.1 for that time if you dont lose any tests in the next 5 years Bilt!

thats a given!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 05 Mar 2013, 11:27 pm

Goddamn weather!

Panesar should do a capable job here. Hopefully Swann gets his elbow sorted. Better to be safe now than sorry in the summer.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 05 Mar 2013, 11:48 pm

good move for me to get Swann to have his surgery done. He clearly wasn't at his best in the ODI series, and we really need him fit and firing for the Ashes (the Aussies have a boatload of left-handers in their line-up at the moment, so Swann is needed).

Panesar should do a good job here, NZ aren't exactly renowned as great players of spin and plenty of right-handers for him to get at. Was hoping to watch the first session before bed, but turning in now...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 6:47 am

First day washed out. What a shame!.
More seriously, Graeme Swann is flying to the US to attend to his elbow troubles. Thankfully for England, they do have a very capable 2nd spinner in Monty and he should be able to do a fair job, but England need Swanny back as soon as possible. He's hoping he'll be back by May for the NZ return series.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 8:11 am

Well i am glad i feel asleep early! because i didnt miss a thing.

4 days should be enough for a win anyway.. well fingers crossed

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 8:31 am

What a miserable way to start a series, weather for the rest of the Test looks fine though.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

How to break a drought in New Zealand:
Schedule a test match Doh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:33 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:How to break a drought in New Zealand:

Very Happy

Is it summer time over there then Kiwidude

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:49 am

mystiroakey wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:How to break a drought in New Zealand:

Very Happy

Is it summer time over there then Kiwidude

Yep (well, technically it's now autumn). I've just spent 2 1/2 weeks at home in the South Islan, no rain and daily temperature highs ranged from 23-31 degs Very Happy
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:50 am

Nice!!

You didnt catch up on any sport whilst you were out there?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:10 am

mystiroakey wrote:Nice!!

You didnt catch up on any sport whilst you were out there?

Rotten timing (I had to be back for a friend's wedding), all the international cricket was in the North Island while I was there*, and the Crusaders had the bye in the opening round (for the NZ teams - the Aussies started a week earlier) of Super XV - so their 1st match kicked off 2 hours after I flew out Sad.

I did make it down to see a few overs of my old club side playing in Christchurch, but 6 seasons on there's only a couple of guys left from when I played - I actually knew more players in the opposition!

*Christchurch doesn't have an international cricket ground yet post-quake while Blenheim (my home town) only hosts a Central Districts home game about every 2nd year - Napier, New Plymouth and Nelson tend to get most CD matches. CD did at least win the 1st class championship while I was home Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:15 am

thumbsup

Its one place have to go to..

I have alot of distant family in NZ(many of them moved over).. not that I will look them up. But I feel attached to the place..

It almost seems perfect..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:00 am

mystiroakey wrote: thumbsup

Its one place have to go to..

I have alot of distant family in NZ(many of them moved over).. not that I will look them up. But I feel attached to the place..

It almost seems perfect..

After the past few weeks at home I'm seriously considering moving back - and that's not something I've done in 6 years. Shame about the job market for data analysts there ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:16 am

I am very much stuck where I am sadly.

I live in a lovely place. But I want to feel free to fly where I want to!

Jobs get us down yo-I am forced to be here as much as you are. I want to get back to the roots of the world..

But I suppose If we wernt 'forced' to be here - we may apprecaite where we live more!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:16 am

Bit of a shame, I was in the office early to try and watch a bit too ( tvs are normally bloomberg but if theres sport on we change over).

Pete, one of my missus' good friends has just moved back (although she is orginally a Saffa). I have to say, looking at the photos she has sent back I did pay a trip to the nz immigration website. As you say, not sure about the job market though, might end up having to commute to Sydney!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Mar 2013, 12:09 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:Bit of a shame, I was in the office early to try and watch a bit too ( tvs are normally bloomberg but if theres sport on we change over).

Pete, one of my missus' good friends has just moved back (although she is orginally a Saffa). I have to say, looking at the photos she has sent back I did pay a trip to the nz immigration website. As you say, not sure about the job market though, might end up having to commute to Sydney!

My current company does have an office in Melbourne, with some jobs going. Which is somewhat tempting down the track (expenses paid move etc). However given that a certain lady of my acquaintance in Christchurch isn't likely to be able to shift anywhere any time soon that isn't a massive help Doh
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:26 pm

Frak rain!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:Bit of a shame, I was in the office early to try and watch a bit too ( tvs are normally bloomberg but if theres sport on we change over).

My current company does have an office in Melbourne, with some jobs going. Which is somewhat tempting down the track (expenses paid move etc). However given that a certain lady of my acquaintance in Christchurch isn't likely to be able to shift anywhere any time soon that isn't a massive help Doh

Still, good to have the option. You never know, in the future they may decide they need a NZ office too...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:41 pm

well fingers crossed we get a good match on tonight!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Mar 2013, 4:43 pm

huge blow about swann, however its better he gets this problem sorted sooner rather than later...also have a lot of faith in Monty Panesar!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:02 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:

Still, good to have the option. You never know, in the future they may decide they need a NZ office too...

True. The guy managing the Melbourne office is a Kiwi too, and back when he was working here I managed (thanks to PenfroPete, one of our Welsh rugby posters) to get him a ticket to Wales vs NZ in Cardiff a few years back Smile

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 06 Mar 2013, 7:11 pm

CF wrote:huge blow about swann, however its better he gets this problem sorted sooner rather than later...also have a lot of faith in Monty Panesar!!

I was surprised there was no thread about his injury - but the cricket forum seems almost dead.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

Half an hour early start today. Big challenge for Cook and Compton to see off the new ball.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:06 pm

Its kicked off.,

england bat.

need a quick 500 in a day and a half and then see if we can take 20 wickets

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:12 pm

Compton out.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

16 - 1. (Dont forget to vote for the Don as GOAT!)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:42 pm

Cricinfo is a mine of valuable information. For instance this summary give you everything you need to know about play on day 1: Very Happy

Bad Light: England - 0/0
Rain: England - 0/0
Lunch: England - 0/0
Tea: England - 0/0
Tea: England - 0/0
End Of Day: England - 0/0

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

Wow that drop could be costly, Cook is a lucky man.

If anyone is watching, the chatbox is on OK

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:46 pm

Cook out. 18-2 in trouble
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

18-3 KP out 1st ball.

Dreadful dismissals so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

Christ, England in a bit of a mess.

Trott will be key.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

Shocked Shocked Not looking good....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:50 pm

Oh dear!

18/3

Kp out for a gold ducky

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

This is what Jonathan Trott was built for
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:53 pm

KP just glued to the crease. Zero footwork
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

Well he didnt expect that first up.. It was a quality ball..

Anyway- at least it's made it exiting

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 06 Mar 2013, 9:59 pm

Good delivery indeed mysti but gotta expect a straight one first up.

Cook given a reprieve then gives New Zealand a reprieve by getting stupidly out.

Just poor start to a series again
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm

root could get a good chance to become the hero again!!

trott in the exact situation he thrives under..

Pitch is looking a bit bouncy!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Wed 06 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm

The lack of warm ups looking like burning us on the bum here.

Bad news with all the injuries too. Starting to look like NZ could dominate the series.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next