The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

+27
LivinginItaly
Taylorman
gboycottnut
Mike Selig
kingraf
kiakahaaotearoa
FerN
alfie
VTR
subhranshu.kumar.5
aucklandlaurie
Pal Joey
hodge
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
NickisBHAFC
Corporalhumblebucket
LondonTiger
Bathman_in_London
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mad for Chelsea
Good Golly I'm Olly
Biltong
mystiroakey
trebellbobaggins
msp83
Duty281
31 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread - Page 4 Empty New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by Duty281 Tue 05 Mar 2013, 5:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

The three-test series starts at 21:30 GMT tonight. New Zealand are coming into this series very much as the outsiders, after being trounced in South Africa, although they did manage a surprise 1-1 series draw in Sri Lanka not too long ago. England, fresh off a historic series win in India, are very much the favourites and this is the start of a gruelling 15 Tests in the next 10 months against Australasian opposition, in a double Ashes year.

Expected Teams (Cricinfo):

New Zealand 1 Peter Fulton, 2 Hamish Rutherford, 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Dean Brownlie, 6 Brendon McCullum (capt), 7 BJ Watling (wk), 8 Tim Southee, 9 Bruce Martin/Ian Butler, 10 Neil Wagner, 11 Trent Boult

England (probable) 1 Alastair Cook (capt), 2 Nick Compton, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Joe Root, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 James Anderson, 11 Steven Finn

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:13 am

BTW

the Black Caps deserve congratulating for those two days play. clap

England played alot better yesterday(this morning)

But NZ still batted well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: New Zealand v England, Dunedin, 1st Test Thread

Post by VTR Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

I don't think we'll save this. KP and Compton have had no cricket so are out of form. Bell has no backbone to fight it out. Then we have four number 11s (I now class Broad as a number 11 - his batting is pathetic now).

So we are relying on Cook, Trott, Root and Prior to save it. They probably all need to make hundreds!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

England are one trick ponies, useless outside of Asia .... Erm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:32 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:England are one trick ponies, useless outside of Asia .... Erm
They're not bad at home. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:49 am

What an innings by Rutherford! England totally out of reach of NZ at the moment. Probably going to have to bat 5 sessions to survive this - I have full confidence we will, pitch still isn't acting up, and there's a threat of rain. It's Brisbane 2010 all over again!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:54 am

Who have you been listening to? Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:58 am

Duty281 wrote: It's Brisbane 2010 all over again!

It really isn't. Its Headingley 2009 if anything!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:02 am

Now, now. No reverse jinxing! (only during the match itself) OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:09 am

Just being honest, I think we're beyond hope. Watch us collapse to 150ao or worse tomorrow. Bruce Martin will probably take 7-30 as every batsmen attempts to slog sweep the first ball they face off him into the stands.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:23 am

If it's one of those days where there's a delayed start and then NZ all of a sudden make a declaration with not many more runs on the board (say another 30-50 runs or so) or... are all out with a similar lead of say 270-280 - then I can see England do as you say... trying to score at a decent clip but losing a few wickets along the way.

However, if it fines up and NZ get skittled quickly - I can also see a scenario where England do bat well and get a lead of under 150-200? (with a bit of luck along the way); then NZ having a torrid time on Day 5 - trying to get the runs, losing wickets... then going into panic mode as Jimmy leads a fight back and Broad and Finn chiming in with some wickets.

I just hope there is a result either way though and we get at least 1 3/4 days more play.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:43 am

VTR wrote:Just being honest, I think we're beyond hope. Watch us collapse to 150ao or worse tomorrow. Bruce Martin will probably take 7-30 as every batsmen attempts to slog sweep the first ball they face off him into the stands.

It certainly isn't beyond hope at all.

I fully expect a draw in this one but don't think we deserve it!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:34 pm

The england team should view the second innings as a perfect opportunity to bat themselves back into form. However, I agree with one of the earlier posters that this sort of situation isn't suited to bell, kp or our lower order. We need cook or trott to score big, and also hold up an end for a long time.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:37 pm

Root can play a part in this. And i cant see cook getting out done again

Bell is Mr flake at the moment.

He is actually in good nick. He is getting a lot of starts!

KP well. He is the sort of player that could either save the test playing well or get out. But i hope he doesn't try and play the test role. He is not suited as others say.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:51 pm

The problem with kp is that he is always prone to going on the attack, or playing one risky shot too many. I never have the same feeling of security when he is batting well as I do when trott or cook have got themselves in. However two sessions of kp could put the kiwis on the back foot and make large inroads into the deficit.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

LivinginItaly wrote:The problem with kp is that he is always prone to going on the attack, or playing one risky shot too many. I never have the same feeling of security when he is batting well as I do when trott or cook have got themselves in. However two sessions of kp could put the kiwis on the back foot and make large inroads into the deficit.

Except KP never comes to the party with the bat until the middle of a test series. Also there seems to be a pattern coming from England since the start of Andy Flower's reign as the head coach whereby England always perform very poorly in the first test match but yet somehow manage to pull their finger out by the start of the second test match and somehow outplay the opposition team. This happened in the West Indies and in the home ashes series in 2009, it happened again down under V Australia in 2010 in that memorable test series win for England and it happened again against India before christmas last year.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 5:32 pm

Fair play to Rutherford!!!!! Looks to be a real bright one for the future...you've got a good'un there kiwi!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:15 pm

Good to see we've continued where we left off...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:18 pm

broad's bowling alright but this over he has been very unlucky....2-3chances if you want to be harsh..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:20 pm

Monty's sweeping on the boundary #getsomeonebetterontheboundary

Back to top Go down

Post by Take it to the house Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:40 pm

Surprised to see the cricket board seems quieter than the American Football one!

Take it to the house

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:46 pm

Survival time..

Come on england. lets show some ballz

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Take it to the house Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:50 pm

Would like to see Compton make some runs...

Take it to the house

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:56 pm

I think we all would Take it to the House!

In fact I wanna see everyone make runs now haha
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Take it to the house Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:35 pm

Olly! Seem to be a many-sports fan too!

Take it to the house

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:37 pm

I love my cricket, football and American Football! Cricket is my summer sport for playing Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm

25 - 0. Steady start.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:41 pm

Pitch isn't doing anything too drastic, if we apply ourselves properly hopefully we can make it too tea tomorrow to save the game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:10 pm

There is no real reason why England cannot bat for 4-5 sessions : no gremlins in pitch , NZ bowling honest rather than venomous ...just the pressure of trailing by 250 or so still...
When a couple of wickets fall panic can set in quickly. And unlike a first innings , in this situation the bowlers retain interest and confidence even if nothing happens for a long time. So at least a couple of big partnerships , preferably by the top three or four , are needed. Basically use today to wipe off most of the deficit and not lose more than two or three wickets.
Obviously Cook and Trott are best suited by temperament for this sort of challenge. But we should not forget the efforts Pietersen and Bell put up in South Africa in 2010 in similar situations...of course we don't have Onions to finish the job this time Smile

Odds favour NZ but a draw is still a realistic hope.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Take it to the house Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm

Pitch is fine, no swing, could get a draw if everyone bats sensibly! Also a few more rain delays will definitely help

Take it to the house

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:25 pm

NZ bowlers not giving much away this morning. No easy runs for England ...a sound approach for the fairly batsman-friendly conditions. Fifty up for England - a decent start.
Looks like Martin will have an over before lunch.

Surely he won't be given any presents this time ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:31 pm

Alfie - our batsmen seem to have a much better mentality second time round - so far! Still a very long way to go - with this sort of run rate, we'll probably have to bat into the final session of the final day.

PS Hope you and all cricket watchers have voted for Sobers on the latest GOAT thread (last 16 Group 4). thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:35 pm

Lunch at 58 off 22. No damage yet.

As you say , guildford , a long way to go. Though I imagine the run rate will improve as the day wears on.

OK will take the hint and go and look at this GOAT thing..

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:40 pm

alfie wrote:OK will take the hint and go and look at this GOAT thing..
Maradonna one vote ahead of Sobers and Tiger atm.... Shocked Every vote counts.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:42 pm

Thanks, Alfie. Neck and neck and neck again between Maradona, Woods and Sir Garfield.

Agree that the run rate is likely to increase but I'm sure New Zealand would still give it a good go if they needed something like 100 off the final dozen overs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
alfie wrote:OK will take the hint and go and look at this GOAT thing..
Maradonna one vote ahead of Sobers and Tiger atm.... Shocked Every vote counts.....
Thanks, Corporal. I trust young Private Chichester has voted. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:54 pm

Well I have added to the Sobers tally but it appears he will need a few more...

Like England Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:59 pm

Alfie, correct on both fronts - sadly.

Corporal - about time you gave Chichester a call to check he's voted! thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Mar 2013, 4:28 am

So this will be a draw. Ah well, great recovery from Cook and Compton.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:21 am

England have found their feet at last. Fine opening partnership from Cook and Compton. England 234-1 at stumps on day 4. Still behind by 59, but barring some serious batting collapse on a track that has not much for the bowlers, a draw seems the most likely outcome.
Yet another test hundred for captain Cook, and Nick Compton getting that much needed substantial score to get his career really going.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:26 am

Not sure if i should be happy or annoyed..

Oh well.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:16 am

Shame about the loss of a day and a bit tbh. This game could have been a cracker.

If I was England. I would turn this into a one day game- Try and and smash 60 overs for as many as we can and try to bowl them out in 30.

This will offcourse not happen.. I doubt any declaration and the ebnland lads will probally just bat out for a draw trying to increase there personal averages.. The safe play- but a boring one..

Of course NZ also still have a chance at the win. So I am not ignoring that.. But it seems to be a batters pitch at the momentI wouldnt even be suprised to see finn get a 40 odd.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:49 am

Don't even think about "smashing it"...

That is the sort of attitude that got England into this mess in the first place...lack of respect for NZ , lost a day to rain , let us go for it from the off regardless of not having much red ball practice ...it ended up 170 all out.

Bat carefully. Bat all day. Be glad to be nil all after one match.

Well played Cook and Compton now the rest of you keep up the good work.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:04 am

Oh i would.

Its not about respecting or not respecting NZ.

Its about respecting Cricket and sport and trying to proiduce something out of nothing.

Trying to make a game of it isnt disrespecting NZ in the slightest.

However as i mentioned that wont be done anyway.. They will just settle for a draw

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:20 am

And rightly so. Hopefully the rest will keep up the work Compton and Cook have begun.

No need to do anything silly. Take a draw and regroup for the next test
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:32 am

Yeah i suppose but I feel that Sometimes I would rather go down and lose fighting over a stale boring draw!

Thats me offcourse. I am a big england fan. But more of a cricket fan tbh..

Id love it if we had a crazy captain that did mental things sometimes. Just to add that bit of exitment..

Of course If a draw was needed to take a series then thats a different matter

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:34 am

na in this scenario its obvous....bat for the draw and don't be so complacent in the next test!

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:37 am

part of me wants kp in quick now- just to see if its possible Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:21 am

how much does this show England needed time in the middle?

prep was everything and the reason the ashes went so well last time.

very good day for England, keep it up as nz still well ahead in this one at the moment but if a draw can be extracted it could shatter confidence.

nz probably still favourites to win this if they get a couple in the morning so graft still needed/

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:44 am

mystiroakey wrote:part of me wants kp in quick now- just to see if its possible Smile

A king pair? Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:50 am

Nah a quick 200 off 50 .

Whistle Whistle Whistle

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next