The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia

+49
tigertattie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Luckless Pedestrian
RDW
aucklandlaurie
kingjohn7
mikey_philVIII
bazalicous
Liam
IanBru
glamorganalun
CurlyOsp
bedfordwelsh
dublin_dave
dragonbreath
offload
reallybored
t1000advancedprototype
fa0019
rodders
Tattie Scones RRN
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
GLove39
Cyril
RubyGuby
munkian
doctornickolas
beshocked
yappysnap
Taffineastbourne
RuggerRadge2611
theslosty
bsando
Looseheaded
Biltong
Sgt_Pooly
ChequeredJersey
TJ1
welshboii15
thebluesmancometh
flyhalffactory
Standulstermen
majesticimperialman
Bigman666
alexgmacdonald
Totalflanker
maestegmafia
53 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Fullback for the Lions

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap6%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap0%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap1%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap12%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 13 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap38%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 41 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap43%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 46 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_lcap0%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 108

Poll closed

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:37 am

Six nations is done. We are a year on since I last held one of these polls and the long term aim was to compare what we selected a year out, a month out and the final squad.

You can pick one player only as your first choice.

I think I have grabbed most of the names in the hat, though my apologies if anyone you consider worthy has been forgotten, if you ask nicely then I am sure one of our excellent moderators might take the time to be kind enough to offer their much valued assistance.

The players included either showed in the Six Nations squads or have been regularly talked of as prospects on the various threads on here.

Looseheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42452-loosehead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Hookers - https://www.606v2.com/t42471-hooker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Tightheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42486-tighthead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Lock No. 4 - https://www.606v2.com/t42501-number-4-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956467

Lock no. 5 - https://www.606v2.com/t42502-number-5-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Blindside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42514-blindside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Openside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42515-ospenside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956975

Number 8 - https://www.606v2.com/t42518-number-eight-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958144

Scrumhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42531-scrumhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Flyhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42539-flyhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958609

Inside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42557-inside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1959728

Outside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42556-outside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Left Wing - https://www.606v2.com/t42575-left-wing-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1960513

Fullback - https://www.606v2.com/t42577-right-wing-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by Totalflanker Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am

Hogg scored another cracker on Friday - here's the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5by0OHsp30o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Try comes at around 3 mins 37 - presume Dougie Howlett has lost some gas since his AB days but Hogg still looked pretty quick.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia Empty Re: Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:24 am

Totalflanker wrote:Hogg scored another cracker on Friday - here's the clip.

Try comes at around 3 mins 37 - presume Dougie Howlett has lost some gas since his AB days but Hogg still looked pretty quick.

I was at the game, it was absolutely unreal how quick he was. What impressed me most over the whole game, however, was that he was absolutely solid under the high ball. He was often popping up at first receiver when Ruaridh Jackson or Pete Horne were at the bottom of a ruck to provide another playmaking option or hovering in a deep outside centre position and hitting the line at pace. Very impressive performance.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:26 am

Hogg please!

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:46 am

Mike Brown.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 am

Halfpenny by a country mile

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 am

Did anyone see Hoggs performance for Glasgow against Munster the man has some serious speed, and is looking more and more assured in defence and under the high ball
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Mike Brown.

Laugh OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:03 am

He is good but he is still a fair bit off halfpenny in terms of solidity in the position. He is a delight to watch though and will definitely travel. After that I firmly believe he will get the chance to play his way onto the test team. If halfpenny dips in form and hogg lights it up then it's a no brainer. Probably would be my outside back cover at present if I were picking the test team

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:05 am

Just regarding Hoggs try, very good but Howlett is cruising back expecting the fullback to hold Hogg up, instead he just offers the outside shoulder and is beaten for pace.

Hogg is a very good attacking threat but lets be honest, the weaknesses he showed late last year are still there, and Kearney and 1/2p are probably just ahead of the guy.

Definately travels for me though OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:06 am

Are most people forgot about player of the six nations most solid fb in NH Halfpenny. Hogg all the talent you could ask for and id have him at full back in any other team just not the welsh one because halfpenny is a machine

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:13 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Just regarding Hoggs try, very good but Howlett is cruising back expecting the fullback to hold Hogg up, instead he just offers the outside shoulder and is beaten for pace.

Hogg is a very good attacking threat but lets be honest, the weaknesses he showed late last year are still there, and Kearney and 1/2p are probably just ahead of the guy.

Definately travels for me though OK

He wasn't cruising he deffo tried to put his foot down but he realised he wasn't going to get anywhere close, and Hogg even offered Jones (who is no slouch) his shoulder and the Munster FB couldn't even get near him, that was scorching pace. I think there is a place in the Lions starting line-up for both 1/2p because he is the best defensive FB and the best kicker (apart from Laidlaw and I doubt if he will start at 9) so has to start and Hogg who in my mind has more pace than Cuthbert and is as good a defender

15 Halfpenny or Hogg
14 Hogg or Halfpenny
11 North
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:20 am

Aye

Halfpenny's wasn't quite such a solo effort but showing some pace all the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqlt6Ay4hwg

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:22 am

Yea but Cuthbert is a born try scorer as shown in six nations, and hoggs not going start over north but if im honest hoggs going be there taking note of everything halfpenny does to make sure he gets the start in second test

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 am

Its a real hard choice at fullback. Halfpenny is a great player no doubt, so is Hogg. Halfpenny maybe shades it in defence, Hogg in attack. I would like to find space for both of them in the team

Back 3 of Cuthbert, Hogg, Halfpenny? ( north didn't shine in the 6N in the way these 3 did)

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:25 am

welshboii15 wrote:Yea but Cuthbert is a born try scorer as shown in six nations, and hoggs not going start over north but if im honest hoggs going be there taking note of everything halfpenny does to make sure he gets the start in second test

What and Hogg isn't a natural try scorer.............. behave will you, look at the stats, don't just spout

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Aye

Halfpenny's wasn't quite such a solo effort but showing some pace all the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqlt6Ay4hwg

Head over heart, Halfpenny starts, but would love to see enough space in the team for both......

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 am

TJ wrote:Its a real hard choice at fullback. Halfpenny is a great player no doubt, so is Hogg. Halfpenny maybe shades it in defence, Hogg in attack. I would like to find space for both of them in the team

Back 3 of Cuthbert, Hogg, Halfpenny? ( north didn't shine in the 6N in the way these 3 did)

TJ
North made more yardage and more tackles than Cuthbert............... Cuthbert missed 3 times more tackles than North
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 am

Cuthbert got the 4 tries tho - interesting stats all the same. I was disappointed in North overall and impressed by Cuthbert. Lies damn lies and statistics?? Smile the scots back 3 had better stats than the welsh in the head to head game

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:33 am

Hogg- 15 tests- 3 tries
Cuthbert- 18 tests- 9 tries

Work out who has the better scoring rate

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:38 am

welshboii15 wrote:
Hogg- 15 tests- 3 tries
Cuthbert- 18 tests- 9 tries

Work out who has the better scoring rate

Don't be ridiculous Hogg plays 15, Cuthbert plays wing, if Hogg was on the wing for Wales then he would have had a similar conversion rate

If the roles were reversed I doubt Cuthbert would have got a try let alone three............ look at the overall stats, yardage, defence, tackles etc
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:40 am

flyhalffactory wrote:Did anyone see Hoggs performance for Glasgow against Munster the man has some serious speed, and is looking more and more assured in defence and under the high ball

My thoughts exactly. And we all know about his cannon of a right foot. To be fair I would have him as the outside back replacement. His pace, awareness and his ability to play fb and outside centre gives him a real good chance

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 am

But your trying to put natural full back who is good on the wing replacing a natural winger who scores tries. Its like putting Dan cole at LH because he's better in the scrum than Healy it don't work

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 am

TJ wrote:Cuthbert got the 4 tries tho - interesting stats all the same. I was disappointed in North overall and impressed by Cuthbert. Lies damn lies and statistics?? Smile the scots back 3 had better stats than the welsh in the head to head game

To be honest I was as well, but recent revelations (that the Scarlets were looking to offload him) might have played on the young mans mind and its amazing when the focus goes how the performance dips. I was very impressed with Cuthbert as an out and out winger tho
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:47 am

welshboii15 wrote:But your trying to put natural full back who is good on the wing replacing a natural winger who scores tries. Its like putting Dan cole at LH because he's better in the scrum than Healy it don't work

Hogg can and has played on the wing like many other players can and have................ ahem Halfpenny

To end this though I think Cuthbert is a class act and proven out and out winger, but like Visser is not defensively aware (but is getting better), and I wouldn't be worried if he starts
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Laugh OK

Brown won't and shouldn't tour but don't laugh. He is actually a very good 15, with form in that position as good as any other candidate. Just not a winger!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:52 am

Im not saying Hogg can't play wing I was just saying you can't put him on the wing rather than an out and out try scoring machine. I wouldn't start halfpenny on the wing over them iver it wouldn't make sense to

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 am

I went B3 of Halfpenny (nailed on somewhere for me, absolute class player), North (found some form in '13 and uniquely skilled for a big man) and Wade as a bolter though I acknowledge that is risky. Cuthbert fast but too flawed and one-dimensional, Hogg will tour, Bowe won't have tme tonshow his worth, Zebo will tour, Brown not getting time at FB, Goode is slower than Brown, Kearney will probs tour despite less than great form, Foden needs a stormer in AP playoffs, Ashton not a chance, Visser might tour, Maitland might tour. I like Gilroy too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 am

My point simply wsa that the stats can lie as well as inform.

I think room could be found for both Hogg and i/2P - its not uncommen to play with 2 full backs.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:I went B3 of Halfpenny (nailed on somewhere for me, absolute class player), North (found some form in '13 and uniquely skilled for a big man) and Wade as a bolter though I acknowledge that is risky. Cuthbert fast but too flawed and one-dimensional, Hogg will tour, Bowe won't have tme tonshow his worth, Zebo will tour, Brown not getting time at FB, Goode is slower than Brown, Kearney will probs tour despite less than great form, Foden needs a stormer in AP playoffs, Ashton not a chance, Visser might tour, Maitland might tour. I like Gilroy too

Covered a lot in that post CJ... Agree on all points... Bloody tough call for the back three. We have some very good contestants.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:01 am

I understand that but there's wingers miles better than them in that position so it means leaving one out for one of them.

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:02 am

Hogg gets my vote, class act and will be lethal on those hard fast pitches.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Hogg gets my vote, class act and will be lethal on those hard fast pitches.

Is he still available on the game?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 am

welshboii15 wrote:Im not saying Hogg can't play wing I was just saying you can't put him on the wing rather than an out and out try scoring machine. I wouldn't start halfpenny on the wing over them iver it wouldn't make sense to

Its not just about scoring tries as if that was the rationale then why not play Visser and Cuthbert............ its about defending as well, and been aware of the positions (why do you think Shane Williams didn't start last Lions tour)
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 am

I would think Gatland would want three fullbacks, my choices are Kearney, Hogg and Halfpenny.

Hogg is the better ball carrier, Halfpenny the better kicker, but for me Kearney the better player under the high balla and better defender, plusheisn' shabby in attack either.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 am

Not sure Kearney is better defender than Hogg or Halfpenny. Untouchable under the high ball hough!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Not sure Kearney is better defender than Hogg or Halfpenny. Untouchable under the high ball hough!
There is something majestic about it

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 am

The reason shane Williams didn't start is because the Lions couldn't leave him behind but he was lacking form something bowe and the others had. I got no problem swapping winger for winger because at the top level you need out and out try scoring wingers that knows the position not just sticking a full back on wing. Look at England put brown on the wing didn't do a thing wrong just did play as good as he would of he played his position

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Hogg gets my vote, class act and will be lethal on those hard fast pitches.

Is he still available on the game?

Aye mate.

Hogg, Rennie, Heaslip, Beattie....loads of class left

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 am

Well, he is the safest, if you combine his defensive capability with his aerial skills he is my first choice for the Lions
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:16 am

Kearney has been the better player but is he not a bit out of form? Halfpenny didn't make many / any(?) mistakes this year did he?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 am

Hogg's defence is far too weak. 1/2p for defence, speed, kicking.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 am

Looseheaded wrote:Hogg's defence is far too weak. 1/2p for defence, speed, kicking.

One missed tackle in the whole of the 6Ns........ so where is this weak defence?

Please enlarge
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 am

I think he missed a catch as well. Whistle Made some cracking defensive tackles in reality. Probably faster than 1/2p and a fantastic punter

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Hogg isn't a weak tackler far from it, he's just behind halfpenny because halfpenny does next to nothing wrong. I just feel people call halfpenny defensive when I believe it was Rob the howler Howley that told halfpenny to hold back on the attack because before this 6 nations halfpenny was one if Wales main attackers look at the AI he was the main attacking force only welsh player to be breaking the Aussie line on a number of occasions.

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Hogg scores most of his try's through pure pace, he is ridiculously fast, I would love to know what his time for 100m is compared with likes of Maitland etc. I think Gatland will play him and halfpenny a few times before first test and whoever impresses most will get to start. They have a lot of matches before first test don't they?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:22 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Laugh OK

Brown won't and shouldn't tour but don't laugh. He is actually a very good 15, with form in that position as good as any other candidate. Just not a winger!

Probably more to do with the fact that Madge seems to be shoe horning every English player into these polls. It was bad enough naming Ashton on the winger thread, but then naming Brown when it's probably a two horse race between Six Nations player of the tournament and the electric Stuart Hogg is a little iffy too.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:42 pm

At least he is honest

majesticimperialman wrote:Joe Launchbery for me. Why? Because i am English and i think he deserves to go on the Lions tour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:37 pm

How things can change.

A year ago, Kearney was in emphatic form for club and country, earning European Player of the Year and appearing to have no weakness.

In 2013, after his injury he seemed to have lost his confidence. Whilst he actually made very few mistakes, I never saw him taking his own up and under into the opposition 22, and the attacking prowess that he added to his game in 2011/12 had vanished.

Halfpenny is now also very solid under the high ball, and very strong in defence. However, Hogg has an attacking dimension to his game that Halfpenny didn't really display this year. Still, that horror tackle on Fofana has hurt Hogg's cause, and Halfpenny's goal kicking could prove invaluable.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm

I voted for Hogg, he attacks the line better and is a much greater threat in that regard than Halfpenny.

I would make sure there is room for both in the test XV. Halfpenny on the wing (a position he is comfortable with) to offer something different from either North or Cuthbert on the other.

Let me also say I think Halfpenny is Wales best player and has been for a couple of years. He is excellent.

However just as Irvine shifted to the wing to make way for the counter attacking abilities of JPR in tests gone by for the Lions Halfpenny should do the same for Hogg. The similarities between Hogg/JPR and Halfpenny/Irvine are obvious. Halfpenny and Irvine were super consistent kickers, solid in defence and elusive runners. Hogg and JPR are both adept broken field runners with fantastic awareness and speed to exploit out of position defenders.

I would be disapointed if Gatland can't find a way to involve both in the test XV.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next