The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia

+49
tigertattie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Luckless Pedestrian
RDW
aucklandlaurie
kingjohn7
mikey_philVIII
bazalicous
Liam
IanBru
glamorganalun
CurlyOsp
bedfordwelsh
dublin_dave
dragonbreath
offload
reallybored
t1000advancedprototype
fa0019
rodders
Tattie Scones RRN
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
GLove39
Cyril
RubyGuby
munkian
doctornickolas
beshocked
yappysnap
Taffineastbourne
RuggerRadge2611
theslosty
bsando
Looseheaded
Biltong
Sgt_Pooly
ChequeredJersey
TJ1
welshboii15
thebluesmancometh
flyhalffactory
Standulstermen
majesticimperialman
Bigman666
alexgmacdonald
Totalflanker
maestegmafia
53 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Fullback for the Lions

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 13 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap38%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 41 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 46 ]
Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 108

Poll closed

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Six nations is done. We are a year on since I last held one of these polls and the long term aim was to compare what we selected a year out, a month out and the final squad.

You can pick one player only as your first choice.

I think I have grabbed most of the names in the hat, though my apologies if anyone you consider worthy has been forgotten, if you ask nicely then I am sure one of our excellent moderators might take the time to be kind enough to offer their much valued assistance.

The players included either showed in the Six Nations squads or have been regularly talked of as prospects on the various threads on here.

Looseheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42452-loosehead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Hookers - https://www.606v2.com/t42471-hooker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Tightheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42486-tighthead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Lock No. 4 - https://www.606v2.com/t42501-number-4-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956467

Lock no. 5 - https://www.606v2.com/t42502-number-5-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Blindside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42514-blindside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Openside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42515-ospenside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956975

Number 8 - https://www.606v2.com/t42518-number-eight-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958144

Scrumhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42531-scrumhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Flyhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42539-flyhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958609

Inside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42557-inside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1959728

Outside Centre - https://www.606v2.com/t42556-outside-centre-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Left Wing - https://www.606v2.com/t42575-left-wing-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1960513

Fullback - https://www.606v2.com/t42577-right-wing-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:23 am

Why would you move the best full back in the NH for someone who isn't as good. If any one should consider moving it should be Hogg as he's not as good as halfpenny. And im not saying hogg isn't good he's Just not as good as halfpenny. Its like having Dan carter and Jonny Wilkinson and moving Dan carter the best 10 to centre and playing Wilkinson at 10 its silly

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Fullback choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 am

I don't think Halfpenny is as good as Hogg.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 am

Why anyone can suggest playing Europe's top XV on the wing simply to accommodate their XV is beyond me.
We have top quality wings and top quality full backs ,why play anyone out of position if you have viable alternatives?
Hopefully Gats will be free of this biased-induced brain malfunction.
I hope that the team fairly represents the best players available for each position and is not compromised to raise one country's quota artificially.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 am

welshboii15 wrote:Why would you move the best full back in the NH for someone who isn't as good. If any one should consider moving it should be Hogg as he's not as good as halfpenny. And im not saying hogg isn't good he's Just not as good as halfpenny. Its like having Dan carter and Jonny Wilkinson and moving Dan carter the best 10 to centre and playing Wilkinson at 10 its silly

Because halfpenny is a better winger than hogg is and Hoggs broken field running is better than halfpennys

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 am

It's not silly, Fullback is the place you can maximise Hogg's skills.

Halfpenny is not renowned for coming into the line at full back, neither is he part of set piece moves and it is impossible to argue that his counter attacking is better than Hoggs.

You can move Halfpenny to the wing and you don't lose any of his strengths. He'll still be a rock in defence, he might get more of the ball in set piece moves and he can still field some kicks and then ship the ball to Hogg to counter with.

If you put Hogg on the wing it's a waste of his talents and you might as well bring Maitland insted and leave Hogg at home.

Halfpenny plays at fullback for Wales because that is where Wales need him. The Lions could use Halfpenny on the Wing and still get a lot out of him.

I personally think if Hogg is to play it should be at full back. He isn't comfortable on the wing and other Wingers (Gilroy, Maitland, Zebo and others) could do a better Job. As I have said I would like to see Halfpenny on one wing, North or Cuthbert on the other and Hogg at full back.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 am

With Sexton or Farrell playing 10 I think this negates the need for a goal kicking 15.

I'd rather see Hogg who has a superior counter attacking game. Halfpenny is an ideal bench player covering FB & Wing.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 am

If Gatland picks Hibbard and Best in the centres you could get Ford a game at Hooker.Great logic lads!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:41 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:Hopefully Gats will be free of this biased-induced brain malfunction.

I also think that sort of comment isn't really Fair. Hogg has been excellent at fullback for Scotland and Glasgow all season. Halfpenny I think is the better player all round but Hogg's attacking mentality from 15 means putting him there and shifting Halfpenny to 11 makes sense.

You could give Halfpenny a roaming role at 11 and invite him into the line more and still have him on the pitch as the no1 place kicker and one of the experienced leaders in the backs.

Saying I would put Hogg on at 15 is not biased or me having a brain malfunction as you eloquently put it. It is simply me saying how I think I would set up our back 3 for the Lions. It differs from yours but that doesn't make it wrong. I can't say it often enough; I would find a place for both Hogg and Halfpenny for the Lions test XV. After all they are just numbers on their backs. They could chop and change positions as they see fit. Hogg and Halfpenny are both clever heads up rugby players and I'm sure would play what they see in front of them.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:41 am

You don't move the best full back we have to accommodate some one not as good what the hell are you people thinking. I don't doubt Hoggs talent but lets be fair if told to play the attacking game halfpenny can do what Hoggs does. Yet Hogg can't do what halfpenny can do half as good. You lot what to move the best full back we have to the wing then drop a winger that is better winger than halfpenny just for Hogg that already makes the lions weaker

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:42 am

Hogg to start at 15, Halfpanny at 14 and Zebo at 11. Now that is a quick back three.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 am

Halfpenny and Hogg were the best (back 3) backs in the home nations this 6N. Surely they can both be found space in the team?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:44 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:If Gatland picks Hibbard and Best in the centres you could get Ford a game at Hooker.Great logic lads!

Yes because centres and Hookers are very similar players. picard

Halfpenny used to play on the Wing for Wales.

Byrne played full back at that time. He was a fantastic strike runner at 15 and bagged loads of tries for Wales. Halfpenny doesn't attack the line anymore (tactics or choice, I dont know) and for that reason I'm picking Hogg at full back to attack the Australian backline, with Halfpenny on the wing.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 am

welshboii15 wrote:You don't move the best full back we have to accommodate some one not as good what the hell are you people thinking. I don't doubt Hoggs talent but lets be fair if told to play the attacking game halfpenny can do what Hoggs does. Yet Hogg can't do what halfpenny can do half as good. You lot what to move the best full back we have to the wing then drop a winger that is better winger than halfpenny just for Hogg that already makes the lions weaker

But I don't think halfpenny can do what hogg does. How many electrifying tries has he scored/set up this season from full back? Hoggs try vs Munster, Sean maitlands try vs England, Hoggs try vs Italy....there's a few more even this season

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:47 am

welshboii15 wrote:You don't move the best full back we have to accommodate some one not as good what the hell are you people thinking. I don't doubt Hoggs talent but lets be fair if told to play the attacking game halfpenny can do what Hoggs does. Yet Hogg can't do what halfpenny can do half as good. You lot what to move the best full back we have to the wing then drop a winger that is better winger than halfpenny just for Hogg that already makes the lions weaker

So when Irvine went to the wing to accomodate JPR in 74 that weakened the lions did it? picard
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:48 am

Such a shame Hogg can't tackle. He's a good attacking full back but I believe he doesn't have the all round abilities a full back like Halfpenny has.

I think Mike Brown offers more than Hogg too in terms of all round ability.

Perhaps Hogg will make it because he's a good attacker but definitely needs to work on his defence.

flyhalffactory Hogg missed 7 tackles in the 6 nations. Made 9.

Hogg offers style but perhaps not substance?

Halfpenny outclassed Hogg in their encounter.

In the stats department Brown beat Hogg in the 6 nations despite playing out of position.

If the Lions want a more defensive/place kicking full back then Halfpenny is the man for the job. For a more all round/attacking full back then Brown in the man for the job.

I like Hogg for his attacking style but he's overrated.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:52 am

You can have a fast back three but that don't mean you have an out an out try scorer like Cuthbert. Look at the Australia back three Beale O'Connor and digby their all flying fast and out and out try scorers. Halfpenny is our best option at fullback because we have to defend that and if fofana is going jog past Hogg at full back god knows what their going do. Your comparing the past again we are talking about the future and two different players and a player that's better than the one trying to have his player

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:56 am

beshocked wrote:If the Lions want a more defensive/place kicking full back then Halfpenny is the man for the job. For a more all round/attacking full back then Brown in the man for the job.

I like Hogg for his attacking style but he's overrated.

Brown a better defensive full back? To be fair Brown was selected on the wing in favour of Goode for England... I can't help feel this conversation has now gone full circle since Brown was played out of position to accomodate a player that Lancaster thought was better at 15.

Hogg missed some tackles in the 6N, however it is also fair to note that he doesn't miss as many tackles for Glasgow. He normally has no trouble getting people down in defence.

It's also worth pointing out he is only 20 and will turn 21 whilst on tour (if he travels) I'm sure he will learn a lot on the tour and become a better player. I still want to see him play in the test matches.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:59 am

beshocked wrote:Such a shame Hogg can't tackle. He's a good attacking full back but I believe he doesn't have the all round abilities a full back like Halfpenny has.

I only remember Hogg missing one tackle - but I thought I would have a trawl around the espn stats to see.

In the 6N
hogg - 2 tries, 336 m run, 10 tackles made 7 missed ( no assists given but he did make tries for others, )
1/2p - 0 tries, 99m run, 10 tackles made none missed ( no assists)

head to head
Hogg 31 m 2 tackles made none missed
1/2 p 11 m 3 made none missed

I want them both on the pitch and 1/2p to wing where he has good international experience makes sense to me.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:01 am

I can't believe anyone would select Hogg over Halfpenny.

yes Hogg was a decent attacker in broken play but to say Hafpenny can't do that in that system is nonsense.

Halfpenny doesn't join the line much because he pretty much defends onhis own so to leave that space and join the line would leave Wales's defence wide open.

Hogg is a complete liability as a defender, and I think we just may have to do some of that against Australia. Scotland defend with all 3 of their back 3 because Hogg is so poor in that department and he still only managed to complete just over 50% of his tackles in the 6N. The one he missed on Fofana against France will not have escaped Gatland and rightly so as it was dreadful.

I think I would prefer someone at 15 who never ever misses a tackle, now if only we had someone available who could do that.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:03 am

Brown
341 m run, 18 tackles made, 3 missed

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:07 am

doctornickolas wrote:Hogg is a complete liability as a defender, and I think we just may have to do some of that against Australia. Scotland defend with all 3 of their back 3 because Hogg is so poor in that department and he still only managed to complete just over 50% of his tackles in the 6N. The one he missed on Fofana against France will not have escaped Gatland and rightly so as it was dreadful.

Everyone remembers that miss.

A missed tackle on Wesley Fofana isn't enough to condem a player as being weak in defence. Fofanna is a runner who often ghosts through defenders and has made plenty of defenders look like numpties in his career.

He missed that tackle, and he will be pished off at doing so but he also put Vahaamahina on his erse 2 minutes before.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:09 am

Lets be fair Hogg is over rated Halfpenny blew him away in the 6 nations his try proves nothing against Italy, it reminds me of Rhys Williams who ran from the same place agaist Scotland does that make him good no.
lets compare some notes.
Hogg vs Halfpenny
Best defender HALFPENNY
Best attacker HOGG
best kicker out of hand HALFPENNY
Best under high ball HALFPENNY
Best goal kicker HALFPENNY

There's your answers Halfpenny brings more to the team than Hogg

O yea halfpenny 1 try in the 6 nations not 0

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 am

Ill tell you what else the Lions will do is drop Tuilagi from the test side and play Cory Allan in the test side best he can do the job that's what all you people are saying by starting hogg over halfpenny

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:18 am

welshboii15 wrote:Hogg vs Halfpenny
Best defender HALFPENNY (Fact)
Best attacker HOGG (Fact)
best kicker out of hand HALFPENNY HOGG (opinion)
Best under high ball HALFPENNY (fact)
Best goal kicker HALFPENNY (Fct, but worth noting Hogg can kick for goal too, he just doesn't for Scotland since Laidlaw is a very good kicker)

Made a couple of changes on this one.

I think kicking from hand is about even, you can't say Halfpenny is a better kicker from hand since they both are. If you are unsure watch more of Glasgow's games an in particular the game against Munster just at the weekend (still available on the Iplayer).

Place kicking isn't a fair comparison either. Halfpenny is a good kicker but he wasn't the best in the 6N.

This is a tight call, however surely the Welsh guys would like to see Halfpenny and Hogg on the same team in the summer? They were arguably 2 of the best back 3 players in the 6N.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 am

The reason I gave the place kicking to halfpenny is because other people have argued the case for halfpenny to play 10 for Wales which arguably means he's a very good place kicker which I shouldn't have done on that bases my bad. Im all for them in the wid-week games but not the test

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:26 am

I can't praise Halfpenny enough. I really can't. I have said repeatedly that he has been Wales best player. He is versatile though and CAN play on the wing.

Don't you guys think that's a good move so we can get Halfpenny playing with Hogg on the pitch too to take advantage of the hard fast pitches and really put the Wallabies in trouble?

Can't any of you guys see the advantage of playing both of these top class players?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:30 am

ruggerradge not surprising he has better tackle stats for Glasgow. Club level and international rugby are different though.

By the way I am not saying Hogg is a bad player. He's just not the finished article yet - certainly not in defence.

He has got a lot of plaudits because he is a good attacker and most armchair fans love that stuff - let's be honest.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:30 am

doctornickolas wrote:I can't believe anyone would select Hogg over Halfpenny.

yes Hogg was a decent attacker in broken play but to say Hafpenny can't do that in that system is nonsense.

Halfpenny doesn't join the line much because he pretty much defends onhis own so to leave that space and join the line would leave Wales's defence wide open.

Hogg is a complete liability as a defender, and I think we just may have to do some of that against Australia. Scotland defend with all 3 of their back 3 because Hogg is so poor in that department and he still only managed to complete just over 50% of his tackles in the 6N. The one he missed on Fofana against France will not have escaped Gatland and rightly so as it was dreadful.

I think I would prefer someone at 15 who never ever misses a tackle, now if only we had someone available who could do that.

You are embarrassing yourself Doc to promote another player by inaccurate data of another

Halfpenny no recorded missed tackles in the 6Ns but has been completely thrown a dummy and was out of position in the autumn series, those can't be considered a missed tackle unfortunately Shocked
Hogg ONE recorded missed tackles in the 6Ns and was much worse the previous autumn so taking into account his relative inexperience is learning at a rapid pace.

So to say that Hogg is a complete defensive liability based on your one example of one of the NH's best centres skinning him is ridiculous, he also has a piston of a boot from either peg (something that 1/2p hasn't got), out of hand he makes all the correct decisions.......

I think there is space in the big three for them both for the Lions test
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:34 am

Halfpenny is actually a very good 'broken field' runner - its pretty obvious he's been coached not play as an attacking 15. His try for the Blues this weekend - cracking.

I really don't think its even a contest between him and Hogg. 2 interception tries against Italy does not make you a nailed on Lion. He was completetly in Halfpenny's shadow in the Scot v Wales match.

Let Hogg play some more international rugby before casting him in bronze outside Murrayfield
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:36 am

I can see that but then we iver lose the try scoring machine Cuthbert which we have no one with the try scoring abilities apart from Bowe but he's injured there is visser but he's yet prove for Scotland, or we could lose Norths power and pace or Maitlands out and out game and I don't see Halfpenny being able to what them lot can

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:38 am

I'd rather a solid 15 against the Aussies.

I'd have a backline of Sexton at 10 and BOD at 13, with those two creative and skilled players armed with weapons like Roberts, Cuthbert, North outside and inside them, a solid defensive 15 may be logical.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:38 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
welshboii15 wrote:Hogg vs Halfpenny
Best defender HALFPENNY (Fact)
Best attacker HOGG (Fact)
best kicker out of hand HALFPENNY HOGG (opinion)
Best under high ball HALFPENNY (fact)
Best goal kicker HALFPENNY (Fct, but worth noting Hogg can kick for goal too, he just doesn't for Scotland since Laidlaw is a very good kicker)

Made a couple of changes on this one.

I think kicking from hand is about even, you can't say Halfpenny is a better kicker from hand since they both are. If you are unsure watch more of Glasgow's games an in particular the game against Munster just at the weekend (still available on the Iplayer).

Place kicking isn't a fair comparison either. Halfpenny is a good kicker but he wasn't the best in the 6N.

This is a tight call, however surely the Welsh guys would like to see Halfpenny and Hogg on the same team in the summer? They were arguably 2 of the best back 3 players in the 6N.

Actually reading the stats it's probably Mike Brown who's best, and he was out of position and in an increasingly poor England team.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 am

beshocked wrote:ruggerradge not surprising he has better tackle stats for Glasgow. Club level and international rugby are different though.

By the way I am not saying Hogg is a bad player. He's just not the finished article yet - certainly not in defence.

He has got a lot of plaudits because he is a good attacker and most armchair fans love that stuff - let's be honest.

ONE MISSED TACKLE IN THE WHOLE OF THE 6Ns

To be honest if you observed his progress for club (Glasgow top of Rabbo, mean defence second best points as well as attack second best points) and for country...... yardage gained, breaks and defence then you would realise he is a level headed fast learner of the game and by travelling with the quality Lions will only develop him further. I think his exposure to them in training and initial games will see him advance to where he will genuinely be a serious contender for the 15 or 11 shirt
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:41 am

munkian wrote:Halfpenny is actually a very good 'broken field' runner - its pretty obvious he's been coached not play as an attacking 15. His try for the Blues this weekend - cracking.

I really don't think its even a contest between him and Hogg. 2 interception tries against Italy does not make you a nailed on Lion. He was completetly in Halfpenny's shadow in the Scot v Wales match.

Let Hogg play some more international rugby before casting him in bronze outside Murrayfield

Agree thumbsup

On another note I must apologise to Tim Visser according to the stats in the 6 nations he can actually tackle alright. Well done Tim. clap So can Maitland.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:42 am

beshocked wrote:ruggerradge not surprising he has better tackle stats for Glasgow. Club level and international rugby are different though.

Isn't that what we need to beat Australia though? They are pretty hard to shut out. Although Scotland have been the most adept at it in the last few encounters, although helped by famous Scottish weather and infamous Scottish weather in Australia.

The Ozzies are hard to shut out at the best of times, I would like to maximise our abilities to score, and to help that I would start Hogg. We haven't really seen what he could do on hard grounds of the southern hemisphere yet. I reckon he could be a dangerous player. Certainly more dangerous with the ball in hand compared to Halfpenny.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 am

flyhalffactory wrote:

You are embarrassing yourself Doc to promote another player by inaccurate data of another

Halfpenny no recorded missed tackles in the 6Ns but has been completely thrown a dummy and was out of position in the autumn series, those can't be considered a missed tackle unfortunately Shocked
Hogg ONE recorded missed tackles in the 6Ns and was much worse the previous autumn so taking into account his relative inexperience is learning at a rapid pace.

So to say that Hogg is a complete defensive liability based on your one example of one of the NH's best centres skinning him is ridiculous, he also has a piston of a boot from either peg (something that 1/2p hasn't got), out of hand he makes all the correct decisions.......

I am not basing it on one tackle though am I. He missed half a dozen. You yourself just stated that he was worse in the Autumn internationals. Hogg is fast and a good open field runner but he just doesn't compare in any other department with Halfpenny. As I said in my comments, Halfpenny doesn't come in to the line because of tactics not because he can't.

If Hogg was Welsh then I wouldn't drop Cuthbert or North to move Halfpenny to the wing to accomodate Hogg at 15. I would select my best players in their best positions and that wouldn't include Hogg. If Hogg was Welsh then I bet Gatland wouldn't select him. He can be ruthless and would not put up with poor defending like Hogg has produced. You have to have confidence in your fullback and I just wouldn't in Hogg.

You seem to be saying that the only tackle he missed in the 6 nations was the rather inept effort on Fofana but as Fofana is a good player then that's acceptable. Australia will have very good runners and our 15 needs to be a rock.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 am

flyhalffactory wrote:

ONE MISSED TACKLE IN THE WHOLE OF THE 6Ns

To be honest if you observed his progress for club (Glasgow top of Rabbo, mean defence second best points as well as attack second best points) and for country...... yardage gained, breaks and defence then you would realise he is a level headed fast learner of the game and by travelling with the quality Lions will only develop him further. I think his exposure to them in training and initial games will see him advance to where he will genuinely be a serious contender for the 15 or 11 shirt

Hogg missed 7 tackles actually. Made 9/10.

Just because you only saw Hogg miss one tackle doesn't mean he didn't miss more.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 am

doctornickolas wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

I am not basing it on one tackle though am I. He missed half a dozen. You yourself just stated that he was worse in the Autumn internationals. Hogg is fast and a good open field runner but he just doesn't compare in any other department with Halfpenny. As I said in my comments, Halfpenny doesn't come in to the line because of tactics not because he can't.

If Hogg was Welsh then I wouldn't drop Cuthbert or North to move Halfpenny to the wing to accomodate Hogg at 15. I would select my best players in their best positions and that wouldn't include Hogg. If Hogg was Welsh then I bet Gatland wouldn't select him. He can be ruthless and would not put up with poor defending like Hogg has produced. You have to have confidence in your fullback and I just wouldn't in Hogg.

You seem to be saying that the only tackle he missed in the 6 nations was the rather inept effort on Fofana but as Fofana is a good player then that's acceptable. Australia will have very good runners and our 15 needs to be a rock.

Completely inaccurate data............ He MISSED ONE recorded tackle in the 6Ns, and he compares favourably to 1/2p in every other dept, he has a massive boot off EITHER PEG something that 1/2p hasn't got
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:49 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Isn't that what we need to beat Australia though? They are pretty hard to shut out. Although Scotland have been the most adept at it in the last few encounters, although helped by famous Scottish weather and infamous Scottish weather in Australia.

The Ozzies are hard to shut out at the best of times, I would like to maximise our abilities to score, and to help that I would start Hogg. We haven't really seen what he could do on hard grounds of the southern hemisphere yet. I reckon he could be a dangerous player. Certainly more dangerous with the ball in hand compared to Halfpenny.

To beat the Aussies you need balance in defence and attack. Hogg in my opinion just doesn't offer enough defensively. You can say he's got potential but is that enough?

Did Hogg do most of the tackling when you beat the Aussies?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 am

To be fair we dragged Australia into a forward dominated arm wrestle in both games. The weather helped but playing Rennie and Barclay at the same time against them in Australia was something of a master stroke. We starved them of posession rather than fronting up in defence.

like I said, I would start both Halfpenny and Hogg. It isn't a bad Idea.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:38 am

I am a hogg suporter and I looked at the stats on espn scrum.com - he missed more than one tackle according to that tho I don't remember him doing so.

I still want a back 3 of 1/2p. Hogg and cuthbert with north on the bench. Thats the best all round we are going to get

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 am

Hogg Cuthbert and North for me thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 am

Regardless of who starts at full-back, neither are better wingers than North, Cuthbert, Zebo, Bowe, Gilroy, Maitland, Visser...
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 am

I still don't see what the thing is with hogg he's average he's young so is halfpenny. Halfpenny is better explains why he won player of tournament so take hogg sit him on bench for the wid week game because that's all he's getting

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:50 am

Hogg is a better attacking FB welshboii, sees the gap and has pace to burn thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 am

Yet id put a tenner on it that it be a close race between them both. Sees the space well done it was an interception takes a god to do that I am proud.

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 am

It's going to be difficult for Halfpenny because he's not the best full back or wing available for the Lions so I think his versatility could mean he's a bench option.

Good player but a bit unfortunate (hopefully he doens't turn into another Hook).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 am

Cyril was you totally drunk for the whole 6 nations he had player of the tournament he scored 1 try hogg scored 2 clearly hogg is an amazing attacker. Halfpenny is the best fullback we got. Halfpenny blew hogg of park bye bye

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Lets face it nether of them would let the lions down and most teams in the world would be happy to have either let alone both of them

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:01 pm

Halfpenny tends to get a big overrated due to his goal kicking, Hogg offers more of threat.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next