The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan Is No Longer Top Five At 140: He Is Simply A Great Name On The CV

+19
JabMachineMK2
TopHat24/7
Lumbering_Jack
Sam_London
Strongback
bellchees
RanjitPatel
AlexHuckerby
PPVxHOTTY
All Time Great
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Diamond in the rough
ShahenshahG
sittingringside
winchester
azania
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
davidemore
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Amir Khan Is No Longer Top Five At 140: He Is Simply A Great Name On The CV Empty Amir Khan Is No Longer Top Five At 140: He Is Simply A Great Name On The CV

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 2:36 pm

Here's my current top 5 140 fighters.

1. Lucas
2. Danny Garcia
3. Peterson
4. Rios
5. Alvarado

Tim Bradley if he goes to 140 again.

I have all the respect in the world for Amir, but the fact is he would get badly beaten by all of the above now, and IMO, Lucas would severly hurt him, show reel style.

All he is now is a pay day and a name on the record. He has one more pay day and then it is over for him. I saw an interview on ifilm and he genuinely seems punch drunk too. At 26 though he wont stop, he's too young, however, all of these guys can punch and Amir is too hittable now.

Two years ago I would have given him more than a decent chance against any of these, but there's been too many wars now.

Shame.

Hope he retires with a lot of money and soon. His brother looks destined to be pancaked too.

Thoughts?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan Is No Longer Top Five At 140: He Is Simply A Great Name On The CV Empty Re: Amir Khan Is No Longer Top Five At 140: He Is Simply A Great Name On The CV

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 May 2013, 2:40 pm

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

This is a very well informed thread. Good to see someone who knows his boxing. I would add something but how do you improve.......PERFECTION.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan Is No Longer Top Five At 140: He Is Simply A Great Name On The CV Empty Re: Amir Khan Is No Longer Top Five At 140: He Is Simply A Great Name On The CV

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 2:43 pm

Thanks onetwo.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 May 2013, 2:48 pm

Matthysse would put khan into retirement.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 May 2013, 2:48 pm

No problem

In all honesty I think team Khan know this too. Which is why they are pushing hard for the Mayweather fight. As I have said before Mayweather represents the perfect opponent for Khan. Sure Khan would get outboxed but he won't get hurt and will make more money then he ever has in the ring.

Khan states that he wants to stay at 140 and clean up but I doubt it as the would most prob get stretched again by Garcia and Matthysse.

For me Khan has 2 big fights left. Big money fight with Mayweather and an all British fight with Brook. Both of which he looses.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 May 2013, 2:49 pm

This maybe the first time I've agreed with one of your posts.

There is a case where it could be argued he is top 5 but definitely not top 3.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 19 May 2013, 2:50 pm

What makes you say he would get badly beaten by Petersen? Lamont barely squeaked past amir when cheating.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 May 2013, 2:52 pm

Rowley wrote:What makes you say he would get badly beaten by Petersen? Lamont barely squeaked past amir when cheating.

I thought he pressured Khan into making the mistakes that he made. I don't think the PEDS really made an impact on that fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 19 May 2013, 2:54 pm

Errr how can you rank lamont above Khan? He cheated and was gifted a decision.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 19 May 2013, 2:54 pm

As I have said countless times, if PED's did not effect a fighters performance nobody would take them, if they effected his performance by only 1 percent he has cheated and gained an unfair advantage.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 19 May 2013, 2:55 pm

So Lamont is the only guy not to benefit from PEDs. Find out what the PE stands for in PED.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 19 May 2013, 2:57 pm

They must taste nice Az, because everyone takes them but nobody gets any benefit from them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Sun 19 May 2013, 2:57 pm

Khan has a glass jaw and a poor defence. He would be beaten easily by top fighters or even limited but big punching fighters. He was hyped up too much and now hes been found out now.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 3:03 pm

I think the OP's list is pretty fair, although you could obviously make an argument for having Khan in there. I'd give him a good chance against Alvarado and Peterson, but I think I'd make the others 70-30 favourites.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 May 2013, 3:05 pm

Lamount used them for training but they had no bearing on the fight itself.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 3:17 pm

Without the PED's I still think Peterson takes Amir now.

What was interesting to see was how much more balanced Lamont and Lucas looked compared to Amir in his last fight. Both of them looked a level above him to be honest, way more controlled, despite the KO.

As Khan approaches his prime he is in decline, it's come shockingly young for him. I think his reactions really suffered after the Garcia KO too. He cannot see the left hook anymore, and that punch will KO him again in the near future.

I think Mayweather is his best option, after that he can retire. He might actually prove challenging for a few rounds as he moves and has speed.

Not sure why he keeps talking down the Brook fight? It be huge in the UK, and a huge payday for him. It really would. Kell would win now though, too big, and he has patience, something Amir doesn't have now.

Amir fights self-conscious, the instinctual aspect of his game has really gone for a walk in the last twelve months. I think Virgil Hunter knows it deep down too.

Last edited by davidemore on Sun 19 May 2013, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 19 May 2013, 3:17 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Lamount used them for training but they had no bearing on the fight itself.

Looks like you've been lamounting him, such are the lengths you go to defend him

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Sun 19 May 2013, 3:19 pm

Khan against Mayweather would be a pointless fight

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 3:27 pm

davidemore wrote:Without the PED's I still think Peterson takes Amir now.

What was interesting to see was how much more balanced Lamont and Lucas looked compared to Amir in his last fight. Both of them looked a level above him to be honest, way more controlled, despite the KO.

As Khan approaches his prime he is in decline, it's come shockingly young for him. I think his reactions really suffered after the Garcia KO too. He cannot see the left hook anymore, and that punch will KO him again in the near future.

I think Mayweather is his best option, after that he can retire. He might actually prove challenging for a few rounds as he moves and has speed.

Not sure why he keeps talking down the Brook fight? It be huge in the UK, and a huge payday for him. It really would. Kell would win now though, too big, and he has patience, something Amir doesn't have now.

Amir fights self-conscious, the instinctual aspect of his game has really gone for a walk in the last twelve months. I think Virgil Hunter knows it deep down too.

I agree that Khan has declined, but it may not be irreversible. We'll know in his next couple of fights where he is. Don't think I could agree that Peterson is a level above.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 3:31 pm

Peterson would knock him out now. Anyone of those 5 would, IMO.

I have not seen anything in Amir's game suggest otherwise.

And if GBP put Amir in with Lucas then they should be put in jail. Amir would get knocked into next year.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 3:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNluMec5D00

Side note: At 10 minutes 15 seconds ish, did I just see Danny Garcia pee himself?

Fear.com

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 19 May 2013, 3:35 pm

Any idea what diaz's ring weight was for the khan fight?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sun 19 May 2013, 3:40 pm

Khan would beat rios, rios is the most over rated fighter in the world just now

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 3:41 pm

davidemore wrote:Peterson would knock him out now. Anyone of those 5 would, IMO.

I have not seen anything in Amir's game suggest otherwise.

And if GBP put Amir in with Lucas then they should be put in jail. Amir would get knocked into next year.

What have you seen in Peterson's game to suggest he would now knock Khan out?

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 3:43 pm

Pressure, the ability to fight on the inside, a decent left hook, that would do it for me. Plus, he's a natural 140 fighter.

Rios can bang and take a punch so he would win. He isn't overrated in my opinion, everyone knows he's limited.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 3:51 pm

davidemore wrote:Pressure, the ability to fight on the inside, a decent left hook, that would do it for me. Plus, he's a natural 140 fighter.

Rios can bang and take a punch so he would win. He isn't overrated in my opinion, everyone knows he's limited.

Yeah, we know about those attributes, he displayed them in the first fight. At no point was Khan close to being knocked out though. I think if they fought it would be a similarly competitive fight.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 19 May 2013, 3:54 pm

Khan's prime has past, he's burnt out young imo and Diaz was the worst I've ever seen

It can happen, he's only 26 but has been a pro for years and has taken career shortening shots

I think that he might be ranked above one of Rios or Alvarado but based on the Diaz fight I think both of those would knock him out as Khan doesn't have the power to keep them off for 12 rounds

Peterson beats him too, even without PEDs. Khan is weaker than he was in the first fight and Peterson has the stamina to really pour it on

I've been very critical of khan as I've never quite bought the hype. Wins over Kotlenik, Malignaggi and Judah doesn't exactly set pulses racing, and his best win he was almost stopped in the 10th against Maidana. Lots of speed and can throws lots of punches but that's about it. Average power, average footwork, average head movement, less than average defence, less than average ring IQ and Discipline and poor punch resistant

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 3:58 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Khan's prime has past, he's burnt out young imo and Diaz was the worst I've ever seen

It can happen, he's only 26 but has been a pro for years and has taken career shortening shots

I think that he might be ranked above one of Rios or Alvarado but based on the Diaz fight I think both of those would knock him out as Khan doesn't have the power to keep them off for 12 rounds

Peterson beats him too, even without PEDs. Khan is weaker than he was in the first fight and Peterson has the stamina to really pour it on

I've been very critical of khan as I've never quite bought the hype. Wins over Kotlenik, Malignaggi and Judah doesn't exactly set pulses racing, and his best win he was almost stopped in the 10th against Maidana. Lots of speed and can throws lots of punches but that's about it. Average power, average footwork, average head movement, less than average defence, less than average ring IQ and Discipline and poor punch resistant

He's offensively gifted, his problems are with his defence and concentration.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 3:59 pm

Since the first fight can has been brutally beaten, sittingrigside.

Sadly agree WHU_. For all his gifts and hard work he simply isn't quite reaching his potential.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 3:59 pm

His IQ is shockingly poor, and he has no element of surprise despite his speed.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 19 May 2013, 4:00 pm

davidemore wrote:Pressure, the ability to fight on the inside, a decent left hook, that would do it for me. Plus, he's a natural 140 fighter.

Peterson is a limited fighter in my opinion- he had the fight of his life against Khan in Washington (and still didn't knock him down or seriously hurt him ). So no, LP can't KO him.

It's far too premature to write him off- he's only 26, and only been in 3/4 wars (Maidana, Peterson, Diaz & Garcia- Prescott fight was some time ago). So in my opinion he's no Jermaine Taylor just yet....

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 19 May 2013, 4:03 pm

Is he offensively gifted?

He hasn't got any good stoppages except from a body shot, and after 4 rounds his opponents just walk him down. Not exactly the traits of an offensively gifted

Throws lots of shots but doesn't put a lot of thought into which shots he throws imo. It's all pitte roster stuff. Doesn't set traps, doesn't push people back so I fail to see how he's offensively gifted

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 4:16 pm

All Time Great wrote:

Peterson is a limited fighter in my opinion- he had the fight of his life against Khan in Washington (and still didn't knock him down or seriously hurt him ). So no, LP can't KO him.

It's far too premature to write him off- he's only 26, and only been in 3/4 wars (Maidana, Peterson, Diaz & Garcia- Prescott fight was some time ago). So in my opinion he's no Jermaine Taylor just yet....

The 26 argument for me, actually means he is more likely to become a J Taylor type fighter, not less. At 26 it is shocking to see skills decline so rapidly. Being young is no comfort here, Amir is not learning, and there are several fighters, Lucas especially, that would butcher Amir, hence the talk of 147. Devon is the last belt holder I give him a remote shot at. Unless he goes down to Super Fly.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 4:19 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Is he offensively gifted?

He hasn't got any good stoppages except from a body shot, and after 4 rounds his opponents just walk him down. Not exactly the traits of an offensively gifted

Throws lots of shots but doesn't put a lot of thought into which shots he throws imo. It's all pitte roster stuff. Doesn't set traps, doesn't push people back so I fail to see how he's offensively gifted

The walk down is scary, fighters know that Amir will run eventually and when that happens i get worried.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 5:05 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Is he offensively gifted?

Yes, he does have a good offence. I'm not sure why you feel the need to equate this to power, but I'm sure if you asked Maidana, Malignaggi, Judah or Peterson they would say he hits reasonably hard at least. He causes problems for his opponents with his offence in every fight he's in.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 5:12 pm

Yet barely uses any of his gifts, gifts he simply doesn't know how to utilize. He still doesn't plant his feet properly, arm punches galore these days.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 5:27 pm

davidemore wrote:Yet barely uses any of his gifts, gifts he simply doesn't know how to utilize. He still doesn't plant his feet properly, arm punches galore these days.

He does sometimes struggle to use what he has to best advantage, but his combination punching and accuracy was good under Roach.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 5:47 pm

sittingringside wrote:
davidemore wrote:Yet barely uses any of his gifts, gifts he simply doesn't know how to utilize. He still doesn't plant his feet properly, arm punches galore these days.

He does sometimes struggle to use what he has to best advantage, but his combination punching and accuracy was good under Roach.

Good points, but when was the last time we saw Amir step on an opponent? He doesn't overwhelm anyone any more, and that, when you consider his gift of hand speed, is worrying.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 5:59 pm

I think he still has that abillity. It isn't always a big rise and fall curve when it comes to boxing. He hasn't been fighting as well as he can, but I don't think this necessarily means he is shot or burnt out. It could just be that he is struggling to recover a little form.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 6:07 pm

Ability without question, just no smarts to go with it, ill disciplined.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 6:07 pm

In a discipline sport.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sun 19 May 2013, 6:13 pm

davidemore wrote:Ability without question, just no smarts to go with it, ill disciplined.

Fair point, but discipline can be instilled.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 6:38 pm

True, but if his reactions are slower can a certain level be accomplished?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 6:38 pm

Discipline, that is.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sun 19 May 2013, 6:42 pm

The change of trainers hasn't really helped, I thought it was a good move but in actual fact I haven't seen anything new from Khan. People say he's had 3/4 wars but at the age of 26 the so called hall of famers were coasting through guys at that age. I agree with the op that he's just a name now on the cv.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 19 May 2013, 6:44 pm

Just read he thinks he'd easily beat Lucas!??!?!!?!??!!?!?!?!?

Also, he says he'd be surprised if Lamont came back from that KO. Well, Amir has a few of them on his record.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 19 May 2013, 6:51 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Lamount used them for training but they had no bearing on the fight itself.

Ding ding, hello? Anyone there? The lights are on!

Diddums, you are supposed to use them to assist training so you get their benefit during the fight. Do you think Ben Johnson took them just before his run?

You got issues bro.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sun 19 May 2013, 6:54 pm

davidemore wrote:Just read he thinks he'd easily beat Lucas!??!?!!?!??!!?!?!?!?

Also, he says he'd be surprised if Lamont came back from that KO. Well, Amir has a few of them on his record.

Audley Harrison has passed the torch to Amir Khan as the ‘worlds most delusional’ sports man. Last night before the fight he was interviewed by Sky apparently he is moving up to welter due to the drain of weight making being the cause of him getting knocked down/knocked out in all his fights. He is also going to be the man to take Floyds ’0′…lol.

Then after the fight he wants to stay at 140 and fight Matthysse, after watching him spark Peterson again he thinks he has the style to beat him…lol.

Simple truth is Khan is a mummys boy for golden boy he is nothing but a cash cow, he doesn't have any power that is why even a 2nd tier fighter like Diaz walked him down after 1st 5 rounds.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 19 May 2013, 7:07 pm

Diaz didn't walk him down he caught him with a good left hook.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sun 19 May 2013, 7:14 pm

Diaz walked him down and caught him with a few shots not just a left hook, my point was Khan is clueless when his opponent is the aggressor. Many people argue Diaz should have got the win, 114-113 115-113 and 115-112, the scorecards also suggest it was close Diaz won almost every round of his by pressuring Khan.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next