The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Price Thompson Rematch - How we see it going

+17
KingMonkey
hogey
winchester
Steffan
BlakkMamba
Seanusarrilius
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
seanmichaels
Diamond in the rough
88Chris05
Rowley
Union Cane
manos de piedra
Qoxiivi
JabMachineMK2
Pedro147
21 posters

Go down

Price Thompson Rematch - How we see it going Empty Price Thompson Rematch - How we see it going

Post by Pedro147 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:34 am

So the rematch this weekend, how do we all see it going? Is Price just there to be eventually hit and dropped? I think we all as fans slightly underestimated Thompson before the last fight and his record stands up to most heavyweights around today, although I know it's a somewhat diluted talent pool.

I'm personally going to go for Price by late KO or points. I think Lewis will set his a gameplan with very little risk and this fight will be a bit of stinker.

What you all think.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Price Thompson Rematch - How we see it going Empty Re: Price Thompson Rematch - How we see it going

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:38 am

I think Price takes this comfortably on points, think we'll see him start sheepish with a Lewisesque jab, range finding rather than trying to bomb, picking his shots nicely but having a few shaky moments as he adjusts to this new way of finding out his opponents. Johnson is pretty decent at getting in boxers faces and he's tough so I can't see a knockout unless Johnson lets Price unload early.

Price will lose the first round, but look like he's coming into the fight in round 2/3 and start hammering away with good clean combos through the mid rounds towards a late barrage from Johnson, but won't take Price out of his comfort zone at that point.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Price Thompson Rematch - How we see it going Empty Re: Price Thompson Rematch - How we see it going

Post by Guest Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:41 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I think Price takes this comfortably on points, think we'll see him start sheepish with a Lewisesque jab, range finding rather than trying to bomb, picking his shots nicely but having a few shaky moments as he adjusts to this new way of finding out his opponents. Johnson is pretty decent at getting in boxers faces and he's tough so I can't see a knockout unless Johnson lets Price unload early.

Price will lose the first round, but look like he's coming into the fight in round 2/3 and start hammering away with good clean combos through the mid rounds towards a late barrage from Johnson, but won't take Price out of his comfort zone at that point.

And how do you think he'll get on against Thompson?

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:45 am

Do think that Price, given his apparent chin issues, needs to adopt a cautious, Wlad-like approach from hereon in if he’s to succeed at the highest level; solid jab, controlling distance etc. If he does, and does so well, he could go far, but that could well mean a large number of relatively boring contests and an end to his exciting earlier role as an early-round wrecking machine.

He could well stop Thompson early, or at any point, but I think it’ll be a cautious points win, with the possibility of a stoppage from rounds 8-9 onwards.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:46 am

Honestly dont know. Im surprised at how heavily favoured Price is. Basically seems like the first fight is being written off as a fluke. If his chin (neck, ear or whatever its being called these days) is as bad as the first fight suggested then hes going to need to be very careful.

I get the impression the first fight wasa surprise even for Thompson at how it ended. If Price boxes very conservatiely then Thompson could play into his hands by being overly committed to looking for one big counter shot and the fight could drag into a dull sort of points win for Price. Remains to be seen if he can box like that though. I think both fighters will approach it very cautiously. Price looking to box safe and Thompson looking for single counters.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:47 am

Oops my bad - Thompson, not Johnson. Was just re-watching the Fury fight and had it on the mind.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:53 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Was just re-watching the Fury fight...

You poor soul. Hope your day picks up.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:55 am

Not the forgone conclusion that some seem to think, and I can't help feel that calling the card "Redemption" is asking for trouble.

Remember that Price did unload one of his combinations on TT in the first fight, and seemed quite surprised that Thompson was still standing and didn't really know what to do next.

If Price has absorbed what Lennox has been telling him it could well end up being reminiscent of a Klitschko jab-fest, with the occasional big right, one of which may pay off.

However I'm not sold on Price's power, so Price UD for me.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:56 am

Qoxiivi wrote:
JabMachineMK2 wrote:Was just re-watching the Fury fight...

You poor soul. Hope your day picks up.

Can it do anything otherwise when it has started in such fashion?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:58 am

I watch a lot of Fury to ensure I'm not being biased with my views on his talent. I can assure you that after watching his fights 3 times now - he is still a terrible boxer and will get mullered the second he fights someone half decent and in shape.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 10:59 am

I think Price will probably have fallen between a couple of stools inside his own head in his preparations for this one. Naturally, he'll have to be more careful this time out and avoid getting in to those close kind of exchanges where he's blind to whatever punches are coming, but at the same time I think he'll definitely want to get the stoppage at some stage as well.

But winning has to come first and I can see Price having to settle for a points victory. I suspect it might be a bit of a stinker which never really comes to the boil, as Thompson will still be wary of Price's power and will probably be hoping that he can get the job done with a money punch again rather than taking it to Price from the off. Even though Price has the heavier and quicker hands, I get the impression that the setback of the first fight will be weighing heavily on his mind and he won't be looking to seek and destroy here.

Price by UD would be my best guess but it's not an easy one to call, as we're yet to see how strong his mindset is or how disciplined he can box if he needs to go the long way round to win.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

Price to win by ko inside 6 rounds

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:51 am

Anyone know what time the fight is? Presumably it is boxnation?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:55 am

Ring walks at about quarter past, the fight should start at half past.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

Yeah about half past

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 03 Jul 2013, 12:11 pm

I think Thompson is being unfairly looked over here once again.

He took some heavy shots from Price and stayed calm and picked his own shots well.

He is going into this fight with bags full of confidence after turning Price over so easily before so I think he can easily do the same again.

Price hasn't yet shown he is this defensive master that people are expecting to see on Saturday and Thompson has a very sound defence normal and can roll with punches.

I see Thompson bringing Price over to the ropes, pretending to be in trouble, Price starts unloading and gets another tap on the ear and does a bambi impression once again.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 1:14 pm

Price to go for caution second time round, Thompson to sensibly come out bombing, eventually catch Price and it's game over.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 03 Jul 2013, 1:42 pm

I am going with Thompson by repeat KO unless he has been paid to lose. I just think Price has no chin. The amatuers warned us of this and the last Thompson fight confirmed it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 03 Jul 2013, 1:46 pm

Very tough one for me to call.

Thompson looks in stellar shape, and I think he knows a win here in this rematch and he could get a third shot at a Klitschko, or at the very minimum a lucrative payday.

Price is fighting for glory and ambitions of bigger things will spur him on, Thompson will be fighting for his family's security and in order to give them a comfortable life - lose and at 41 he may call it a day. Both have powerful motivation.

My feeling is that if Thompson goes in looking to land a bomb he will lose, I think he will have to box, and look for openings. My feeling on this is he spends the evening hunting for a big shot, doesn't find it and loses on points or gets himself stopped in the last third of the fight.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 03 Jul 2013, 2:25 pm

I just hope it isnt anything like Mitchell/Banks where Thompson reduces himself to looking for a one punch finish and a gun shy Price wins the fight by default in the meantime.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 03 Jul 2013, 2:29 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:I am going with Thompson by repeat KO unless he has been paid to lose. I just think Price has no chin. AZ warned us of this and the last Thompson fight confirmed it.

Fixed that for you Sean king 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 03 Jul 2013, 2:42 pm

Its going to a long day for me what with Wales (with the help of 3 Irishmen and 2 Englishmen) taking on Australia in the third and final test in the morning. I will also be looking forward to this fight though and I think Thompson will win again

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

I think the first fight was just a case of heavyweight boxing where one punch can take you out. These are huge guys. I expect Price to prove the first fight was just a one off and to win by knock out. My concern is that if its true that Lewis will be training him we will get the same god awful boring style that Lewis used when Price is naturally a very exciting and powerful fighter.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 03 Jul 2013, 2:55 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:I am going with Thompson by repeat KO unless he has been paid to lose. I just think Price has no chin. AZ warned us of this and the last Thompson fight confirmed it.

Fixed that for you Sean king 

Hahaha - good 'ol Az

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 2:58 pm

winchester wrote:I think the first fight was just a case of heavyweight boxing where one punch can take you out. These are huge guys. I expect Price to prove the first fight was just a one off and to win by knock out. My concern is that if its true that Lewis will be training him we will get the same god awful boring style that Lewis used when Price is naturally a very exciting and powerful fighter.

Yeh, Lewis, what a terrible example to follow. Sod being unified HW king, let's go exciting and get flattened instead....... Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:00 pm

Where is Az anyway nowadays?

Last edited by Steffan on Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bad Grammer)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:01 pm

I dont enjoy watching boring fighters. Lewis was dull.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:27 pm

Lewis wasn't boring, same way as Rigo isn't boring.

Casual none boxing fans will prefer the all action, but some of us, who like boxing and appreciate it, can appreciate Lewis as an ATG heavyweight.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:43 pm

Since my posts were rather boringly moved:

TopHat24/7 wrote:
winchester wrote:I dont enjoy watching boring fighters. Lewis was dull.

Depends how you define dull/boring. I find watching ponderous un-talented oafs like Fury stumble and swing around the ring whilst getting dropped by nobodies boring. On the other hand I found Lewis' destruction of Golota and Grant very entertaining indeed.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 03 Jul 2013, 3:48 pm

Price starts very cagey, but his confidence will build up after a couple of rounds and then he wins by KO in the 4

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 4:43 pm

Steffan wrote:Its going to a long day for me what with Wales (with the help of 3 Irishmen and 2 Englishmen) taking on Australia in the third and final test in the morning. I will also be looking forward to this fight though and I think Thompson will win again

BOD dropped from the team and 10 Welsh men in with no victories over Australia to their name. Gutsy decision from Gatland.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 03 Jul 2013, 5:17 pm

Did someone say Thompson is in stellar shape? He was pretty podgy in the first fight and it didn't do any harm.

This is going to be a tense affair and I hope Price gets caught a few times early to give him the confidence that he can take a shot. Assuming, of course, that he can. Can't see anything other than a cagey, low action affair from Price and who can blame him?

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Wed 03 Jul 2013, 5:58 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Did someone say Thompson is in stellar shape?  He was pretty podgy in the first fight and it didn't do any harm.

This is going to be a tense affair and I hope Price gets caught a few times early to give him the confidence that he can take a shot.  Assuming, of course, that he can.  Can't see anything other than a cagey, low action affair from Price and who can blame him?

Thompson looked in pretty good shape to me at the Gavin fight last weekend.

I'd say he's here to win this one and has trained accordingly.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 03 Jul 2013, 6:01 pm

It really is a hard fight to call and one that one paper should be easy to call

I don't think price will be caught and go down like he did in the first fight, and he definately has the pedigree, power, size and speed to put a real hurt on Thompson if he looks all of his 42 years

That said all it could take is one shot and its so true. Thompson can't go out swinging as Price can bang

Interesting fight

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 03 Jul 2013, 6:23 pm

think price will do it, got a feeling thompson will go out looking for that one punch knockout which in turn will open himself up to price easier. reckon we will see a much more cautious start from price who will need to build some confidence up from last fight but will grow into it to stop Thompson mid to late

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:27 pm

Thompson by ko in 4 or 5 rounds. May be earlier but id expect Price to play it safe for a few rounds.
Interested to see how much Price has learned from Lewis.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 7:34 pm

I reckon Thompson will get him out pretty early again. If it wasn't for ozzy's league, i would love to be proven wrong.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down