The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ashes: 1st Test, Trent Bridge - Final Day & Post Match Discussions

+26
NickisBHAFC
msp83
Hoggy_Bear
LivinginItaly
gboycottnut
Biltong
KP_fan
Duty281
Corporalhumblebucket
Gerry SA
VTR
GloriousEmpire
Dolphin Ziggler
The Facts
kingraf
GSC
ShahenshahG
Good Golly I'm Olly
ChequeredJersey
dyrewolfe
aussieboyz
JDizzle
alfie
trebellbobaggins
mystiroakey
Pal Joey
30 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Ashes: 1st Test, Trent Bridge - Final Day & Post Match Discussions - Page 5 Empty The Ashes: 1st Test, Trent Bridge - Final Day & Post Match Discussions

Post by Pal Joey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 12:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

England:
Alastair Cook*, Joe Root, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Jonny Bairstow,
Matt Prior†, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Steven Finn, James Anderson

Australia:
Shane Watson, Chris Rogers, Ed Cowan, Michael Clarke*, Steve Smith, Phil Hughes,
Brad Haddin†, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Ashton Agar

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

The Ashes: 1st Test, Trent Bridge - Final Day & Post Match Discussions - Page 5 Empty Re: The Ashes: 1st Test, Trent Bridge - Final Day & Post Match Discussions

Post by The Facts Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:33 pm

If Broad was given out not even the first time when on 6 but on the second time Aus would have cruised to victory. And before anyone mentions Agar I think the Rodgers decision (given out when Anderson was kept in) and Broad being out TWICE more then evens it out

Well done Aus very young and exciting team

The Facts

Back to top Go down

The Ashes: 1st Test, Trent Bridge - Final Day & Post Match Discussions - Page 5 Empty Re: The Ashes: 1st Test, Trent Bridge - Final Day & Post Match Discussions

Post by VTR Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:35 pm

Wow, what a match! Credit to both teams there, fantastic drama across all 5 days. Don't think I can take many more of these.

As for "The Facts" - attention seeking little boy jog on please. Would encourage you all to put on the ignore list as I am about to do.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:You have to feel for the Aussies. They fought back from seemingly hopeless positions and came within a whisker of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

Think England can count themselves lucky. Played some brilliant cricket, both batting and bowling, but always contrived to mess up when victory seemed certain.

I think they should be very proud of what they acheived. It will be gutting- but they will take massive positives IMO.

Agreed. My main worry is this will make them even more fired up for the 2nd Test.

Plenty to work on for England if they're to capitalise on this start.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
The Facts wrote:Appaling decision not a chance you can give that out when there is no way of being a 100% sure. As I said 99% of the big decisions went England's way

Have to agree. Some hallucination of a hot spot, a clicking sound that could've been anything and somehow a game changing decision is "confirmed".  
No the Poms can't get to number 1.

Australia are ranked to low to gain the sufficient points.

Even if they did, everyone knows the Proteas are the true best side.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

Come on chaps , remember rule One

Ignore the WUMs !

Last edited by alfie on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:37 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
The Facts wrote:Appaling decision not a chance you can give that out when there is no way of being a 100% sure. As I said 99% of the big decisions went England's way

Have to agree. Some hallucination of a hot spot, a clicking sound that could've been anything and somehow a game changing decision is "confirmed".  

strange- deffo hotspot- deffo sound, deffo snicko , deffo edge, deffo out ..But ok belieev what you want i suppose:erm: Erm

All I can say is that given the result of the controversial decision favours England I can guarantee no fuss will be made.

The bright spot on the bat is there prior to the ball arriving and coincides with the advertising marking on the bat.

Although by the time the British commentary team are finished reviewing it and saying how certain and obvious it is I'm sure history will have been rewritten into a certainty.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:37 pm

Poor man's Steyn, Anderson, gets a 10 wicket match bag against the weakest Australian side in loving memory.

Will he get a knighthood?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

I'll add Glorious Empire to the ignore list whilst I'm on it

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

Okay which of you lot made the click noise??? warning 

Back to top Go down

Post by The Facts Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

Aus win without the Agar/Broad howler.
pretty much every lineball England LBW was given not out and upheld with DRS, every lineball Aussie LBW was given out, and upheld by DRS.

Please feel free to argue any of these points

The Facts

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

I hope so, but I think you'll have a chance in Oz, provided you win here. We are playing in UAE in October, and I dont think a side not named Pakistan has actually forced a result there.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Okay which of you lot made the click noise??? warning 

Must have been a stray cricket on the field or something Legendkillar Rolling Eyes 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:39 pm

I still have plenty of "loving memories", Gerry. Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:39 pm

VTR wrote:Wow, what a match! Credit to both teams there, fantastic drama across all 5 days. Don't think I can take many more of these.

As for "The Facts" - attention seeking little boy jog on please. Would encourage you all to put on the ignore list as I am about to do.

Good idea - I have just followed your advice.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:39 pm

"The bright spot on the bat is there prior to the ball arriving and coincides with the advertising marking on the bat."

are you blind or something?

Did you not here the nick?- if you cant hear the nick on tv or see the clear Hotspot- check out snicko(a digital graph of sound) . Snicko has confirmed any doubts you may have due to your disadvantaged senses!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:39 pm

It was the sound of the last straw for the integrity of the game giving way.

Ohhhh "digital" it must prove everything then! Look if it was relevant at all it would be available to the umpires. It's not. What does that tell you?

Last edited by GloriousEmpire on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:40 pm

I do like Michael Clarke
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:40 pm

You know somethings gone right when the wums emerge en masse
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm

In fact it was a great relief that there was absolutely no doubt that last decision was correct. Drs got this one 100% right...lucky England had a review left !

(anyone who saw hotspot mark , heard sound , saw snicko and even the way Haddin's head swung around ; and still denies it , is on another planet Smile  )

Dramatic end to a great Test match...credit to both teams clap 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm

Mystir they are on the wind up no point arguing with them. They have not been on here until the moment of victory. Click their username then you can add them as a foe so never have to read their drivel again.

This is a good and friendly board so I'd rather only read the comments of the actual cricket fans not some little boys who come on here trying to get attention.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm

I like to know how GE knows that the mark was on the bat before the ball passed it? The bat was a mile from his pads.

I would like to know exactly what it was for a fact.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:42 pm

well done both teams anyway.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:42 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Okay which of you lot made the click noise??? warning 

Might have been me. My grandmother is Xhosa, and at the exact time of impact, I told her 'I'm sorry' which is pronounced with a click in Xhosa.

Sorry Aussies
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:42 pm

At least Australia got 21 wickets... maybe 22? Wink

Anyway, it's a decent step forward for the Baggy Green. This Series will be a lot closer than most predicted.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

Linebreaker wrote:At least Australia got 21 wickets... maybe 22? Wink

Anyway, it's a decent step forward for the Baggy Green. This Series will be a lot closer than most predicted.

I will give you 21

minus root and trott off course = 19

kiss

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:44 pm

We repeatedly see a bright mark on the bat coinciding with the advertising which has different thermal properties to the bat.

You will notice when an English batter decision is being reviewed the commentators point this out ad nauseum.

Snicko = withdrawn from official use for being so utterly unreliable.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:44 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I still have plenty of "loving memories", Gerry. Laugh
So an OBE is enough lol

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:45 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:

strange- deffo hotspot- deffo sound, deffo snicko , deffo edge, deffo out ..But ok belieev what you want i suppose:erm: Erm

All I can say is that given the result of the controversial decision favours England I can guarantee no fuss will be made.

The bright spot on the bat is there prior to the ball arriving and coincides with the advertising marking on the bat.

Although by the time the British commentary team are finished reviewing it and saying how certain and obvious it is I'm sure history will have been rewritten into a certainty.

If you like Australia so much you may want to try emulating them. They are being far more dignified and sportsmanlike about it and accept that some decisions go for you and some go against you.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:45 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Poor man's Steyn, Anderson, gets a 10 wicket match bag against the weakest Australian side in loving memory.

Come on Gerry ...we all admire Steyn on here ...why do you have to snipe at Jimmy all the time ? It is getting a bit tedious...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:45 pm

I think most people not called I. Botham predicted a close one linebreaker. Players raise their game for the Ashes, they are always hard-fought. Even the last series which England won 3-1 involved 2 Tests that Aus dominated. This is what makes it one of the great sporting events.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:46 pm

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:46 pm

Great game. Yahoo  That makes the score: Cricket 1, WUMs 0.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:At least Australia got 21 wickets... maybe 22? Wink

I will give you 21

minus root and trott off course = 19

kiss

yeah sure mysti. kiss
Thanks for the kind words, mate. (I'm not hurting as much as I should!... a good sign)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

blah blah

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by The Facts Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

Worst team to represent Aus in 100 years outplaying the best team in England in years lool you could not make it up

God forbid if Anderson gets injured because this much talked about English attack looks average at best outside Jimmy

The Facts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:48 pm

Aus should just reverse the batting order and be done with it...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:51 pm

alfie wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:Poor man's Steyn, Anderson, gets a 10 wicket match bag against the weakest Australian side in loving memory.

Come on Gerry ...we all admire Steyn on here  ...why do you have to snipe at Jimmy all the time ?  It is getting a bit tedious...
So why are your idiot former players Botham, Strauss, Lloyd etc

Proclaiming Anderson the best bowler in the world?

Steyn is streets ahead.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:51 pm

Oh wow. What a Test match. Was it mystiroakey who said a couple of days ago that this Test could be like Edgbaston 2005? He was more right than he knew!

After a tense hour, England took 3 wickets in the next 30 minutes to leave Australia 231/9. England on the brink of victory. Then another hour, where Australia whittled it down to 20 left. Unbelievable drama. A 40 minute break full of tension and what might be - even Edgbaston 2005 didn't have that!

Then after lunch, Anderson, the most talented bowler in all the world, managed to shake off the cramp that had plagued him before lunch. For England, James? For the urn, perhaps?

Then that nick. I was out of my seat straight away, a clear noise, but no says the umpire. What drama. One more review, and there it is, England win the Test. Very fitting it had to end on a DRS call. Very fitting Anderson got his ten wickets.

Oh the wums are back are they? Even better. ENGLAND! Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo 

What an effort by Haddin and Pattinson though. clap 
Commiserations to Linebreaker and every other Australian fan.

What a Test.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:52 pm

I wish tremmers was fit.

Time for onions?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:52 pm

Gerry
Laugh

Steyn could have taken 25 wickets, 20 legal ones, three referred and two umpires calls vs these Aussies
Hug
Lets all lighten up.. There was a great game between two very different teams, Test cricket cant ask for a better advertisement
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:52 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
alfie wrote:

Come on Gerry ...we all admire Steyn on here  ...why do you have to snipe at Jimmy all the time ?  It is getting a bit tedious...
So why are your idiot former players Botham, Strauss, Lloyd etc

Proclaiming Anderson the best bowler in the world?

Steyn is streets ahead.

Bless your insecurities. Anderson is more talented than Steyn. Steyn is more consistent than Anderson.

Ergo, Steyn is the best in the world. But he's certainly not the most talented.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:53 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:We repeatedly see a bright mark on the bat coinciding with the advertising which has different thermal properties to the bat.

You will notice when an English batter decision is being reviewed the commentators point this out ad nauseum.

No system is perfect but its the best we've got at the moment. The same technology is used for both teams and the same rules apply.

Also, unless I'm very much mistaken, what the commentators think has no bearing on the umpire's decision.

Sounds like a very large bunch of sour grapes you've got there.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:53 pm

So because a few ex-players who don't represent the view on here say that we have to put up with endless posts about Jimmy being a club bowler Rolling Eyes

Last edited by VTR on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:53 pm

kingraf wrote:Gerry
Laugh

Steyn could have taken 25 wickets, 20 legal ones, three referred and two umpires calls vs these Aussies
Hug
Lets all lighten up.. There was a great game between two very different teams, Test cricket cant ask for a better advertisement  
Steyn wouldn't need to bowl at this Aussie side.

They'd just walk back to the pavilion in fear Very Happy

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Facts Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:55 pm

Someone on facebook just posted a sequence of images showing that the snicko was well after the ball passed the bat

The sound was also well after ball passed bat

Are we sure the snicko was actually at the right time?

The Facts

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:55 pm

Anyway, time to watch The Tour. Froome for the one-two today!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:56 pm

Victory for Test cricket as well, lest I forget!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:57 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:We repeatedly see a bright mark on the bat coinciding with the advertising which has different thermal properties to the bat.

No system is perfect but its the best we've got at the moment. The same technology is used for both teams and the same rules apply.

Also, unless I'm very much mistaken, what the commentators think has no bearing on the umpire's decision.

was snicko withdrawn?
I  thought it is just to slow to use as of yet- however snicko are wokling on making it quicker and the ICC want to use it..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:58 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:

was snicko withdrawn?
I  thought it is just to slow to use as of yet- however snicko are wokling on making it quicker and the ICC want to use it..

Does this mean that the umpire saw the replay which didnt have the noise with it?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:59 pm

The Facts wrote:Someone on facebook just posted a sequence of images showing that the snicko was well after the ball passed the bat

The sound was also well after ball passed bat

Are we sure the snicko was actually at the right time?

link?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next