The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom

+30
Dave.
ShahenshahG
Bull
Cyril
sodhat
Crimey
The Special Juan
compelling and rich
barragan
CaledonianCraig
Hero
88Chris05
superflyweight
seanmichaels
Shot 21 LCFC
lorus59
Roller_Coaster
Nakatomi Plaza
Adam D
bhb001
Kenny
Barney92
JuliusHMarx
Rowley
Union Cane
Galted
ChequeredJersey
Il Gialloblu
Mind the windows Tino.
Dolphin Ziggler
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best British (and Irish) Sitcom

The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap2%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap11%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 13 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap9%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 11 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap13%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 16 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap5%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 6 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap2%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 3 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap9%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 11 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 3 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap13%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 16 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap4%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
[ 2 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap7%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 8 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap6%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 7 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap0%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 3 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap3%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_lcap0%The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 123

Poll closed

The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Empty The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:41 pm

And our favourite Soap Star of TV History have been decided, and the winner was the original charmer Frank Butcher. 

We move into our penultimate round and a very strong one; Best British (and Irish) Sitcom.

The choices are varied and wonderful, with a little bit of everything in there from across the years. David Brent, Manuel, Moss, Kryten, Darling and Captain Mainwaring come face to face in a battle to the death. 

Frank Butcher/Rowley 12
Dot Cotton/Hero 10
JR Ewing/Julius 10
Karl Kennedy/Me 10
Den Watts Sr/Adam D 6
Fred Elliot/Superflyweight 6
Steve McDonald/CJB 4
Jack Duckworth/Hulking_Up 4
Joe Mangel/VDT 2
Wellard/Compelling and Rich 2
Tina McIntyre/Kenny 2

THE FINAL ROUND HAS ARRIVED - 

Best Fictional Moment in TV History 

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:43 pm; edited 4 times in total

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Empty Re: The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:42 pm

Who picked Steve McDonald last round?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom Empty Re: The Inaugural TV Cup - Round Nine: Best British (or Irish) Sitcom

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:50 pm

Marky – 48
Hero - 47
Adam D - 42
Nakatomi Plaza – 36
Tino – 35
Chequered Jersey - 34
Kenny – 30
Dolphin Ziggler 27
Bull - 27
VDT – 23
OnlyTrebleWinners 22
B3rragan – 21
Sir Johnny English – 21
Rowley - 18
Julius H Marx - 16
CJB – 14
Compelling and Rich - 12
Superflyweight 11
NickisBHAFC - 10
BHB001 – 8
Hulking Up - 8
SeanMichaels 6
xViperx - 5

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:52 pm

This is literally the hardest decsion of my life

Bar My Family, League of gentlemen and The thick of it (the latter I haven't seen) they all have potential to be selected

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:52 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

The final round is TBC for the time being as I made up some damn good rounds and then forgot them, but may still be able to rescue them if Tino has an inbox full of love letters from me heart 

I have your love letters, mate. I will send them back to you in a sec.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:07 pm

Very tricky one. If I had to sit and list these in order of favourite I would be here for a long time

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:10 pm

I've also updated it so we have our next round

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

Partridge and Open All Hours for me.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:10 pm

What series of Blackadder are we talking? They are not all the same show, technically. Went for it and IT Crowd anyway as those were my backups, except for Green Wing which is shockingly omitted.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:15 pm

Went for The Office and The Royle Family - understated comedy and brilliant scripts, both reward the attentive viewer and stand up very well to repeat viewings, probably require repeat viewings to understand the subtleties (pretending the last couple of Royle Family Xmas specials never happened).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:30 pm

Listen very carefully, I shall say zis only waance.

Allo Allo appears twice in the list.

You stupid womaaaan!!!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:35 pm

Went for Porridge because I love Ronnie Barker and The Office as it was brilliantly revolutionary at the time and I struggle to think of an episode I don't enjoy. They were also smart enough to call it a day before it went off the boil, which is not true of many on the list (Only Fools, I am talking to you here)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:39 pm

Uh oh! Sadly for you Union, you were the second person to pick it. Whats your second choice?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:10 pm

Argh knackers.

Terry and June then please.

Another 0 coming up.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 05 Aug 2013, 9:42 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:What series of Blackadder are we talking? They are not all the same show, technically. Went for it and IT Crowd anyway as those were my backups, except for Green Wing which is shockingly omitted.

In my nominations I put Blackadder 2 and 3 separately as my first 2 choices, but I don't know if I got my choice or not.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Mon 05 Aug 2013, 9:52 pm

Went for the Office and Father Ted. Really top drawer stuff, sadly there isn't enough Ted for my liking.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:16 pm

if one of the powers that be could change one of the Allo Allo's to Terry and June (is that really a programme? Are you really that much older than me that I havent heard of this?) then that would be lovely. 

You did get your choice Julius, but I refuse to count Blackadder as completely different programmes.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:13 pm

Did i not have a pick in the last round ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:54 pm

Ive worked it out, we're fine, I remembered what I did

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:28 am

Fawlty Towers and Father Ted as the light that shines twice as bright last half as long ( or some such bo!!ocks). Unfortunately, Terry and June was a sitcom. Somehow, I couldn't see myself being excited about watching a box set of it!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 06 Aug 2013, 9:17 am

bhb001 wrote:Fawlty Towers and Father Ted as the light that shines twice as bright last half as long ( or some such bo!!ocks). Unfortunately, Terry and June was a sitcom. Somehow, I couldn't see myself being excited about watching a box set of it!!

Father Ted had 25 episodes which is more than the office!

God I hate Father Ted.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 06 Aug 2013, 9:18 am

And Phoenix nights for that matter!

The other leaders are all deserved (Fawlty Towers, The Office and Blackadder)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 9:27 am

I voted for Blackadder and Allo Allo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 06 Aug 2013, 9:48 am

I went for Partridge and Phoenix nights, as they we're two of my back up choices. So many great shows on the list. Would have liked to have seen Peep Show get a mention, but can't have everything.

Last edited by Nakatomi Plaza on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 06 Aug 2013, 9:56 am

Went for Fawlty Towers and The Young Ones.
I had no idea there were people out there who think Bottom is funnier than The Young Ones.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 9:59 am

I had no idea there were people out there who thought either were funny Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:13 am

Blackadder and Phoenix nights. Tough one as there's some quality up there. Oh and thanks for the terry and June theme tune rolling round my head.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:15 am

Adam D wrote:
God I hate Father Ted.

How can you hate Father Ted? "Let's go over it again. This is near ... That is far away". Superb!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:16 am

The list is a real marmite one for me. I either love or hate every single show on there. Mostly hate Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:44 am

Having so many great shows there, it was really hard to choose the best. At the end it had to be Father Ted, but the last Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Only Fools and Horses and Porridge were awesome too. I think a mention should be given to Rising Damp which I loved.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:51 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I had no idea there were people out there who thought either were funny Whistle

Are you insane?  Vivian's decapitated head shouting abuse at his body which then proceeds to hoof it along the railway tracks is quite possibly as funny as humour gets.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:56 am

Never seen that clip, but I guess that's because I find the character so repellent I couldn't ever bring myself to watch it Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:59 am

lorus59 wrote:Having so many great shows there, it was really hard to choose the best. At the end it had to be Father Ted, but the last Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Only Fools and Horses and Porridge were awesome too. I think a mention should be given to Rising Damp which I loved.

I put Rising Damp on my list, but must have got one of the other earlier choices. Superb series.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:00 am

Voted for the two i honestly think are the best and possibly funniest sitcoms made

Dads Army and Fawlty Towers
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:00 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:Never seen that clip, but I guess that's because I find the character so repellent I couldn't ever bring myself to watch it Wink

Oh, Azzy, I do despair.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:02 am

next round is a hard one to narrow down but i have picked my favourite scene from one of my favourite shows ( if i get my 1st pick ) then i don'y know f it will get many votes but it's a awesome scene
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm

The voting is already closed??

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:41 pm

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:The voting is already closed??

Could have sworn I hadn't voted as well....

Would be Phoenix Nights for me. Max's car alarm 'Get back you bast@rds, i'll break your legs!'

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:49 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Would be Phoenix Nights for me. Max's car alarm 'Get back you bast@rds, i'll break your legs!'

Best bit is when he has a giant inflatable p*nis for his fun-day.

"We can call it Sammy the snake"?

Brian Potter: "Snake?  It's a twenty foot c*ck and balls, man!"

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:56 pm

Classic stuff. 'Fanny Tickler'

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:59 pm

Phoenix Nights is almost a bit of a forgotten classic - probably because Kay has gone on to "jump the shark".  The two series of this - together with the one series of "That Peter Kay Thing" prove that Kay was brilliant when working with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice.

The Das Boot fruit maching paying out during the Old Soldier's funeral was genius as was the scene where we catch the end of a Den Perry saying "... now she has got a c*ck, so you have been warned".  

The ice cream man and bingo caller episodes of That Peter Kay Thing are two of the best half hours of comedy I've ever seen.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:01 pm

Just remembered the bit where Brian Potter's taking the woman upstairs to bed but he's having to use the stairlift - "wait 'til I get you up them stairs. The things's I'll do to you".

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:07 pm

I have to mention it as it wasn't nominated - but Early Doors. A shameful oversight, there!

Of the above.....Probably 'The Thick of It.'
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:12 pm

Thasts rough... soo many good shows, I betrayed the comedy gods of old though and went with the office

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:14 pm

superflyweight wrote:Just remembered the bit where Brian Potter's taking the woman upstairs to bed but he's having to use the stairlift - "wait 'til I get you up them stairs.  The things's I'll do to you".  

Or when he has a power cut on the way down 'Come on Brian, what would Thora Hird do in this situation!'.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:16 pm

If someone had nominated Phoneshop, that would have had my vote.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:17 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
superflyweight wrote:Just remembered the bit where Brian Potter's taking the woman upstairs to bed but he's having to use the stairlift - "wait 'til I get you up them stairs.  The things's I'll do to you".  

Or when he has a power cut on the way down 'Come on Brian, what would Thora Hird do in this situation!'.

I like the bit when the midgets are coming to ransack the club and Max and Paddy are watching them run towards them but think they are normal sized people who are far away!

Or the bit with Ray Von doing the quiz night. "My balls are black and blue. I've just hit them with a mallet. What sport am I?"

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:19 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:If someone had nominated Phoneshop, that would have had my vote.

I love Phoneshop.

The third series has so far been brilliant. The White Mans Reggae Club and Ash leading his ex's dog on by accidentally brushing his balls!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:26 pm

Nobody nominated Brass Eye either, which is a bit of an oversight. Superb series that really cut it close.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 06 Aug 2013, 1:31 pm

bhb001 wrote:Nobody nominated Brass Eye either, which is a bit of an oversight. Superb series that really cut it close.

No Terry and June though was it...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next