The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns - Beltran; ***FIGHT NIGHT THREAD***

+46
Valero's Conscience
Mind the windows Tino.
spencerclarke
skidd1
Izzi
owen10ozzy
Rowley
Adam D
KC
RanjitPatel
Coola
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
tunes666
Wpwp86
Duty281
BoxingFan88
as1079
Good Golly I'm Olly
thebawwse
Lumbering_Jack
jimdig
Seanusarrilius
TopHat24/7
sparxz
Dass
Boxtthis
TheMarvelousOne
The Terror of Tylorstown
rob-glos
Pedro147
superflyweight
PPVxHOTTY
wheelchair1991
John Bloody Wayne
Strongback
KO-KING
Union Cane
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
monzon
compelling and rich
mckay1402
Steffan
Lance
mobilemaster8
KingMonkey
50 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Burns - Beltran; ***FIGHT NIGHT THREAD*** - Page 5 Empty Burns - Beltran; ***FIGHT NIGHT THREAD***

Post by KingMonkey Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Anyone know much of Beltran?  I've got to admit I don't but he's ranked high enough by Ring Mag for me to think this should be a competitive fight.

As much as I like Ricky he's never struck me as a 'world level' type of fighter.  Fringe perhaps.  A domestic fighter done good for sure but despite one or two decent enough wins I've always had the feeling that he's limited.  He got very lucky last time out agianst a fighter with a bit of class (although seemingly no heart).

Anyone shed some light on this one for me?  I'm looking forward to it all the same.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Burns - Beltran; ***FIGHT NIGHT THREAD*** - Page 5 Empty Re: Burns - Beltran; ***FIGHT NIGHT THREAD***

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 6:59 am

You can understand why Broner never came over to fight, and after last night i bet he is glad!! Good luck to Hearns in getting ANY decent named fighter over for him, because i think its time he cashed in now.

Send Burns to America, he will lose, come home job done. Held a world strap for three years etc etc.

Gonzalez was winning handily until he "retired" or was paid off. Last night was simply a robbery of the very highest order without question.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Burns - Beltran; ***FIGHT NIGHT THREAD*** - Page 5 Empty Re: Burns - Beltran; ***FIGHT NIGHT THREAD***

Post by monzon Sun 08 Sep 2013, 8:46 am

It was the wrong decision, but Burns clearly won five rounds, so there can be no complaints at a judge scoring the contest 114-114.

The only issue here is the American judge who gave it Burns by three rounds, and despite a knockdown.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:09 am

Can someone explain to me how the fight could have been scored a draw 114-114 when there was a knockdown?

Unless he scored a round 10-10 at some point, I just dont get it!

Feel sorry for both fighters - not Rickys fault it was given to him. Beltran deserves a rematch though.

Can someone tell me - has a fighter ever sued a governing body over a decision?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:17 am

Adam D wrote:Can someone explain to me how the fight could have been scored a draw 114-114 when there was a knockdown?

Split rounds aren't uncommon.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:29 am

Don't much care for the argument that we have seen worse, whilst it may be true does not for me lessen the fact Beltran got royally screwed over. I watched the fight knowing the results and so whilst scoring it was trying to make an argument for Burns and the cloesst I could get him was losing by a point, and that involved giving him the close rounds I would have probably not given was I not trying to be generous.

It will be a long time until us Brits can ever moan about German judging again.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:52 am

Burns credibility has taken a big hit. Instead of a tough, technically sound belt holder, he'll now be seen as a protected hometown fighter.

Watched it again this morning with the volume off. Burns could have only possibly won 6 rounds. There's no other round worth debating that you could offer him.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:58 am

monzon wrote:
Adam D wrote:Can someone explain to me how the fight could have been scored a draw 114-114 when there was a knockdown?

Split rounds aren't uncommon.
was there a round that you thought was a 10-10?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 08 Sep 2013, 11:03 am

Adam D wrote:was there a round that you thought was a 10-10?
Personally, no. I try not to split rounds where possible, but i wouldn't have been at all surprised if a judge scored the last round a draw, or even one or two of the early ones before Beltran got his left hook working.

Judges notoriously like different things. There were periods where Beltran was dominating Burns without really landing cleanly. Lots of judges will give rounds to champions who are fighting on the back foot. Admittedly Burns didn't do that very well last night, but there were rounds where Beltran was a bit crude.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sun 08 Sep 2013, 11:23 am

monzon wrote:
Adam D wrote:was there a round that you thought was a 10-10?
Personally, no. I try not to split rounds where possible, but i wouldn't have been at all surprised if a judge scored the last round a draw, or even one or two of the early ones before Beltran got his left hook working..
But those were Burns rounds. Making them 10-10 would've made the scoreline even wider in Beltran's favour.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 08 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

Burns' camp are suggesting his jaw injury might mean he doesn't fight again. Could be a good time to bow out, as World Champ when the signs are there that he's past tipping point.

Could just be an attempt to bat off calls for a rematch, but a guy i know who fights said an injury like that could easily mean at least six months out.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 08 Sep 2013, 12:47 pm

For anyone, and there were a fair few, slagging off Hearns last night and immediately jumping onto the bandwagon of declaring him corrupt and awaiting to see what excuses he made...it seems he is indeed not the evil genius many think!

Ricky Burns needed an operation on a broken jaw suffered during his controversial WBO lightweight title defence against Raymundo Beltran.

The Scot, 30, picked up the injury in the second round before holding on to the title after a draw in Glasgow.

Promoter Eddie Hearn said on Twitter: "With Ricky in hospital - it's not good - clean break to jaw from second round.

"Ricky is now in surgery to have a titanium plate in his jaw."

Most observers at the SECC appeared to think 32-year-old Mexican Beltran, who had Burns on the floor in the eighth, had won the fight.
But one judge gave Burns the verdict by 115-112, another gave it to Beltran by 115-113, with the third judge scoring it 114 each.

In the post-fight press conference, Hearn praised Burns's courage and later tweeted what appeared to be an X-ray of Burns's injury.

"Lots of tweets about the decision, it's difficult for me to score the fight with an emotional attachment," said the promoter.

"My gut feeling when I got in the ring was that Beltran had it after a close fight.

"I'm not sure how Ricky continued for 10 rounds with an injury like that and right now my concerns are for him and making sure he is OK."

Burns, who has now made four defences of his world title which he won in November 2011, had earlier tweeted: "Jaw definitely broken. In agony here. Honestly don't know how I managed to get through that fight."

"Thanks to everyone for their support."
Taken from the BBC Sport website!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 08 Sep 2013, 2:00 pm

Seen an interview Hearn did with iFilmLondon he says he had Burns up 5-2 after the 7th round....seriously Eddie???
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 08 Sep 2013, 2:32 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Seen an interview Hearn did with iFilmLondon he says he had Burns up 5-2 after the 7th round....seriously Eddie???
It's almost as if he has a vested interest in Burns or something.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sun 08 Sep 2013, 2:33 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Seen an interview Hearn did with iFilmLondon he says he had Burns up 5-2 after the 7th round....seriously Eddie???
To be fair he did say its hard to score impartially as its his guy. Also quoted as saying he thought Burns had just been edged out.

Robbery though, Burns wouldn't last 3 with Broner. Seriously average 'world champ', one of the weakest around.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:24 pm

monzon wrote:
It's almost as if he has a vested interest in Burns or something.
So the self proclaimed "promoter of the people" isnt after all. I am yet to see one person have a score like that after the 7th. The interview was showed him as uncomfortable answerin questions as I have ever seen him.

But having read your posts I see your blindfold must have came from eBay, nice to hear you tried it out last night while you were watchin the Burns fight Cool 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:32 pm

What do you expect Hearn to say, for christ sake some of you lot on here just pounce on promoters and boxers for the most ridiculous of things.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 8:40 pm

monzon wrote:It was the wrong decision, but Burns clearly won five rounds, so there can be no complaints at a judge scoring the contest 114-114.

The only issue here is the American judge who gave it Burns by three rounds, and despite a knockdown.
Yes there can be complaints against 114-114..It clearly wasnt .
Burns and his camp now acknowledge that
No complaints about Burns its not of his making but that's a corrupt home town decision..devalues a brave performance by Burns ultimately..very poor night for British boxing

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 08 Sep 2013, 8:47 pm

If it's true then fair play to Ricky fighting with a broken jaw for so long. Disappointed though, I thought he was going to do big things in 2013 but he has just gone massively backwards in these two fights. Balls of steel mind....... and a chin to follow by the sounds of it

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:18 pm

spencerclarke wrote:If it's true then fair play to Ricky fighting with a broken jaw for so long. Disappointed though, I thought he was going to do big things in 2013 but he has just gone massively backwards in these two fights. Balls of steel mind....... and a chin to follow by the sounds of it
Clearly not with the jaw since apparently it got broken in round 2...??

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:42 pm

what round was it Burns got tagged at the end and got told off for smiling? his jaw was fine then? even buncey said last night theres no way burns jaw was broken that early, if at all

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:55 pm

this reminded me of the manny v bradley fight, while the cards weren't massively wide there was only ever one winner. beltran won rounds clearly and enough of them to win

with regards to scoring im more inclined to give 10-10 as i feel overall it gives you a better winner by the end when using the ten score must system. if a round is even score it that way, just as im more inclined to give 10-8 for very dominate rounds. otherwise few tight rounds that can go either way change the entire outcome of the fight

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:15 am

Lance wrote:what round was it Burns got tagged at the end and got told off for smiling? his jaw was fine then? even buncey said last night theres no way burns jaw was broken that early, if at all
Funny because the X-rays beg to differ......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:27 am

Lance wrote:what round was it Burns got tagged at the end and got told off for smiling? his jaw was fine then? even buncey said last night theres no way burns jaw was broken that early, if at all

I thought the knock down in the 8th did the damage myself.

I'm not buying it happened in the 2nd round.

The only thing wrong with Burns in the first half on the fight was he was getting bossed by a better man.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:36 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Spoiler:

Whatever round it happened in, it doesn't look particularly nice.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:42 am

Jeff Powell wrote:The margin would have been even wider had I not let sympathy for Burns, in his distress, sway me into giving him a share of the 11th.
This man is a professional boxing journalist.

Deary me.

Rolling Eyes
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:44 am

If that is indeed his X-ray. It doesn't look like him, too much of a tan.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:48 am

Apparently Beltran said that he could he Burns squealing in pain every time they went in for a clinch.

Horrible stuff.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:03 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
probably sour grapes from Buncey, due to Burns leaving boxnation, but even so, Hearns is desparate to sell this broken jaw to any that will listen. trying to justify Burns being a champion still. I don't believe it was the second round though

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 09 Sep 2013, 12:40 pm

Haven't seen the fight but from all accounts on hear and other media outlets there is no argument to support Beltran not winning.

Eastside boxing called it one of the worst robberies ever and is damaging for UK boxing.

When asked why a foreign fighter won't come to the UK, they'll use this fight as an example.

Hearn said the day after on Twitter that at the end of the fight he gave it to Beltran in a very close fight. A promoter is never going to go against his guy so pointless asking for his opinion.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Mon 09 Sep 2013, 1:58 pm

How does the actual adjudication of judging/ scoring work? Do the judges have to submit their scores after every round? If not, why not? Do the score cards get taken away from them the very second the fight finishes before they have the chance to talk to anyone? If not, why not?

Or is it so blatant that the judges get together after the fight, along with someone from the sanctioning body and then conspire to rig the judging? It surely can't be as blatant as that. Close fights I can understand differing scoring, but that was nowhere near close. Burns rarely engaged, constantly spoiled and held when up against the ropes and was knocked down in the 8th. The judge that gave him the win has to be held accountable by someone? Surely the BBBoC needs to take a look at these incidents, or are they part of the problem?

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 09 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm

And here we have the crux of the problem. Judges are almost faceless entities who seemingly answer to nobody. I'd love that card for Burns to be analysed because it just couldn't stack up.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 09 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm

they answer to the promoters and governing bodies. maybe not on the day, but if they want to be hired again. they certainly know who pays their bills

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:19 pm

Man that decision sucked so bad what f robbery. I hear even the bookies are paying out on Beltran winning because they know he was ROBBED. FACT. Hearn you chump smack talker makes me laugh how you want Ward and the big names to travel to your backyard. Now we KNOW why.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:24 pm

not this prat again Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:27 pm

YDKSAB wrote:Man that decision sucked so bad what f robbery. I hear even the bookies are paying out on Beltran winning because they know he was ROBBED. FACT. Hearn you chump smack talker makes me laugh how you want Ward and the big names to travel to your backyard. Now we KNOW why.
All this post is missing is a..."M****F****R.............

I like this guy ...he's something.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:33 pm

Having translated that a fairly decent point is made. Ward will take one look at that and have even less interest now.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:33 pm

In the way gastric flu is Something?

Pops on here when he can't remember his password for eastside.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:35 pm

When was the last time you popped.. 1993

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

KingMonkey wrote:Having translated that a fairly decent point is made.  Ward will take one look at that and have even less interest now.
... Were 'having even less interest' possible

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:38 pm

YDKSAB wrote:Man that decision sucked so bad what f robbery. I hear even the bookies are paying out on Beltran winning because they know he was ROBBED. FACT. Hearn you chump smack talker makes me laugh how you want Ward and the big names to travel to your backyard. Now we KNOW why.
How can it be a fact if you've only heard about it? The FACT would be proven if you'd put money on Beltran to win then gone back into the bookies and said "Yo b!tches, I be sooooo mudeerfuggin' unhappy 'bout dat punk a55 Burns winnin dis fight dat I be demandin' you pay up cus you know an' I sure fo' sheeet know Beltan wus robbed"

....and then they gave you some money!

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:When was the last time you popped.. 1993
Is this including or excluding popping mrs truss?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:49 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Hey If you can give me any tips on getting any from the red baroness........I'd be more than happy to hear them!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
Hey If you can give me any tips on getting any from the red baroness........I'd be more than happy to hear them!!
Most of us have found that not being you seems to do the trick.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:53 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
Most of us have found that not being you seems to do the trick.
Very good...Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:55 pm

Be more like me and less like you truss. In fact that would be good advice in general for you.Wink 

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:57 pm

The lovable loser approach..........

Maybe it is worth a go...cheers Milky!!Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 4:57 pm

Oh dear. I'm repeating Dave. I feel afraid, very afraid.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 09 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The lovable loser approach..........

Maybe it is worth a go...cheers Milky!!Cool 
Touché.
Loveable loser, hung like a diplodocus. Served me, and the ladies well down the years

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm

milkyboy wrote: I feel afraid, very afraid.
Does it give you a buzz.......though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Sep 2013, 5:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
milkyboy wrote: I feel afraid, very afraid.
Does it give you a buzz.......though.
If not, electrodes clamped to the testicles will give a similar feeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next