The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ???

+26
YDKSAB
armchairwarrior
Steffan
huw
KingMonkey
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
jack-rabbitpunch
Mad for Chelsea
hazharrison
superflyweight
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
DynamiteChris
JabMachineMK2
jimdig
Rodney
Lumbering_Jack
horizontalhero
Strongback
88Chris05
hogey
The Terror of Tylorstown
captain carrantuohil
PPVxHOTTY
TRUSSMAN66
30 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ??? - Page 8 Empty Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Look at the top 10 list...............

Robinson - drew with Brimm at 27...Basora.....24...........Lost to the ordinary Lamotta....and was outboxed by the crouching Turpin twice..only a desperate rally saved him from a cut stoppage and a second owning!!.......The ring even carries an article in 1952 of him avoiding a rubber match with Turpin !!! with evidence to back it up.........all this before the age of 30 !!!..

When he was Mayweather's age he was being beaten twice by Pender and losing to Gene Fullmer...Forget Maxim..

This is not to knock the great Man....only to point out that these guys weren't always great.........By the way these losses don't harm Robinson....It's only Oscar who's losses count against him!!

Don't see anyone on Robbo's welter record Mayweather wouldn't beat..and Floyd was a 130er..........

Robinson perhaps fought slightly more p4pers than Floyd and won undisputed titles but the fact remains he was human.........and he could be beat!!........He also avoided Turpin..

But hey Robbo is a worthy choice..no doubts!!

Look at Ali - By the age of 29 he'd been beaten by Frazier...and lost to Norton at least twice in most peoples opinion.........(ALi is my number 1) At Floyd's age he was losing to an amateur in Leon Spinks..........

Not many p4pers in Ali's list...........Frazier, Foreman..maybe Liston......

Think Floyd's record matches up pretty well with Leonard's.............Losing to the lightweight Duran.........in his prime is a black mark for Ray in my opinion..........

Fact is how many fighters reign supreme at 36 years of age like Floyd and how many have been at the top of their sport for 15 years ????

Louis ten year reign is enough for top 10 status for him.........A laughable place that Floyd can't achieve in most eyes..

Fact is Mayweather isn't likable and it counts against him but more careful analysis shows that he does have a claim to be the best...However the older fighters like Robbo get... the more people forget the bad things they did and the poor performances.....

I'd pick Mayweather to beat Robbo and Leonard............Hearns would be my main concern.....

Not enough credit is given to Floyd being the best at 36 an unheard of age for number 1 p4p status...

For me Mayweather being the greatest ever isn't that farfetched...there is a case to be made....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 12:57 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:My god, think we've actually found someone that blows more smoke up Floyd than Truss!!
Don't like Floyd but unlike others I can separate the Man from the fighter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ??? - Page 8 Empty Re: Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ???

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:04 pm

Floyd 'the man' plays little or no role in how I rank him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:05 pm

I've seen your rankings..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:11 pm

You haven't, actually.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:13 pm

To embarrassed to ante up......huh.

Never mind every site needs a clown and I found you amusing!!Cool 

which is a good start

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:19 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:YDKSAB used to be one of Scottrf's favourite sayings.  I was on the receiving end of it myself numerous time.

Just saying.
Get a grip, good saying but does that post sound anything like me?

Rankings are individual, personally I wouldn't have Floyd top (I don't like to rank active fighters really anyway), but it's not the most ridiculous I've heard. I like to judge it on top wins first, and I don't think he would quite be up there on that criteria. He doesn't have many that can compete with the consistency of his record though. Floyd's off night is being caught with a punch these days.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:21 pm

Scottrff wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:YDKSAB used to be one of Scottrf's favourite sayings.  I was on the receiving end of it myself numerous time.

Just saying.
Get a grip, good saying but does that post sound anything like me?

No, it doesn't, but surely that would be the point of an alias....

Anyway, welcome back princess.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:To embarrassed to ante up......huh.

Never mind every site needs a clown and I found you amusing!!Cool 

which is a good start
Have never needed to. Consider Floyd 10-12 at the moment, when he beats Canelo he'll be 8-10. Never fighting Pac will forever hurt his credibility, as will, sadly, the Canelo catchweight as I don't think those 2lbs will actually make any difference.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:23 pm

Scott returns just as Strictly is back on TV tina, coincidence? I'll leave it to you to decide.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:25 pm

10-12 means nothing when I don't know who is above him........

Trinidad perhaps ??Wink 

Scotty the old one line sarcastic wizard...........

Thought I'd seen him off with my cutting beefster wit........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:27 pm

Was Windy that saw me off old boy.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:27 pm

Rowley wrote:Scott returns just as Strictly is back on TV tina, coincidence? I'll leave it to you to decide.
Laugh 

I hadn't actually considered that but now you bring it up.

He never watched it, you know.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:28 pm

Scottrff wrote:Was Windy that saw me off old boy.
Explain Scotty ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:43 pm

Scottrff wrote:Was Windy that saw me off old boy.

Good to see you back. Steeltown's on here as well. Even Shenglong reappeared a few weeks ago,

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:46 pm

But where is Winchester?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:47 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:But where is Winchester?
As I said on a different subject earlier, might not want to hold your breath on that one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 1:51 pm

Ahhhh i didn't see said subject Rowley. Please enlighten me with details or PM me!

On another note, is anyone from Stafford region looking for a bathroom or some tiles?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 2:49 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Ahhhh i didn't see said subject Rowley. Please enlighten me with details or PM me!

On another note, is anyone from Stafford region looking for a bathroom or some tiles?
You don't miss him do you.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:05 pm

I miss his rambles and love for Tyson Fury along with hatred for Wlad.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:11 pm

Anyone who agrees with me as much as you..

Can miss whoever they like...thumbsup 

Got any American blood in the family ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm

Haha! No American blood, just Irish and English. Although i was born in Germany and lived there for 18 years. So i could technically be 1/3 German, Irish and English.....what a combination. Smile

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:18 pm

Been around haven't you........

Speak German huh ??.........There'd be more on here doing that If it wasn't for guys like me!!Cool 

(Been trying to get that one in for a while) rolled like a drunk coming soon..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:23 pm

HAHA nice historical lesson there Truss.

Yeh i speak German, although losing my touch as ive not spoken it in YEARS! can still pull Helga at the Oyster though Smile

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Haha! No American blood, just Irish and English. Although i was born in Germany and lived there for 18 years. So i could technically be 1/3 German, Irish and English.....what a combination. Smile
Bit awkward, 2/3 of you hate the other third......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:46 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:Haha! No American blood, just Irish and English. Although i was born in Germany and lived there for 18 years. So i could technically be 1/3 German, Irish and English.....what a combination. Smile
Bit awkward, 2/3 of you hate the other third......
I didnt think Germans hated the English? Look down on then maybe but not hate

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:49 pm

Lol there's sufficient animosity there I think, though they're more mature about it than your lot or the Scots.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:50 pm

Haha Top Hat. Its hard when im by myself. Constantly shouting Smile

But seriously, from experience, English people still live in the 1940's when we mention the "Germans". Its nothing but "errrr dirty Germans, we won the war" or "i hate them and there German and that's the reason".......

Germans on the other hand, laugh at these pathetic view points, but have a VERY dry sense of humour, are very strict and also slightly arrogant.

Oh, and Germans call English people Island Monkeys and Cliff Pissers.

Funny.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:50 pm

Everyone hates the English..............They owned everybody for centuries until they got their butts kicked......

They've been getting them kicked ever since...Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:54 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Lol there's sufficient animosity there I think, though they're more mature about it than your lot or the Scots.
Yeah we got some real clowns I cant deny it

That being said me and the small number of Welshies got some stick in Somerset

Most of it was good banter apart from one guy moaning cause me and another guy were speaking Welsh at one point. So naturally we just carried on speaking it then to wind the fool up even more Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:56 pm

Steffan wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Lol there's sufficient animosity there I think, though they're more mature about it than your lot or the Scots.
Yeah we got some real clowns I cant deny it

That being said me and the small number of Welshies got some stick in Somerset

Most of it was good banter apart from one guy moaning cause me and another guy were speaking Welsh at one point. So naturally we just carried on speaking it then to wind the fool up even more Very Happy
Glad to see you didn't let the English walk all over you Steff.........

Still bit of a break from tradition...hey ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:56 pm

I have a few welsh mate Steffan, but they got me into a heated debate the other week because they said that Bale is the 3rd best footballer on earth. As in, ahead of Iniesta, Xavi, Ozil, Van Persie etc etc. Do you agree with this notion?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:57 pm

Well, he's the most expensive ever.

Not as good as Iniesta, but a mile ahead of Ozil. It's hardly a ridiculous claim. Bale is better than the current Xavi too.

Last edited by Scottrff on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:58 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Haha Top Hat. Its hard when im by myself. Constantly shouting Smile

But seriously, from experience, English people still live in the 1940's when we mention the "Germans". Its nothing but "errrr dirty Germans, we won the war" or "i hate them and there German and that's the reason".......

Germans on the other hand, laugh at these pathetic view points, but have a VERY dry sense of humour, are very strict and also slightly arrogant.

Oh, and Germans call English people Island Monkeys and Cliff Pissers.

Funny.
Yeh, I've got a couple of German mates and it does bear funny resemblance to the English relationship with the Scots/Welsh. I.e. 'We' seem to have a tacit hatred for the Germans but they couldn't really give a monkeys about us, in the same way the Jocks and Welsh seem to hold a great animosity for 'Us' but we couldn't really care less about them.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Everyone hates the English..............They owned everybody for centuries until they got their butts kicked......

And now the same is happening to the US, albeit at a slower pace as things aren't as abrupt in this day and age.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm

How is he ahead of Ozil?

Look at the stats, Bale scored 25 goals last season, which is more then his previous TWO season COMBINED. He also set up 10 as opposed to Ozils 29.

Does one season of playing great football turn you out better than consistently performing players??

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:00 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Everyone hates the English..............They owned everybody for centuries until they got their butts kicked......

And now the same is happening to the US, albeit at a slower pace as things aren't as abrupt in this day and age.
Can't see us losing to India though.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:00 pm

Well put Top Hat! Smile

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:00 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:I have a few welsh mate Steffan, but they got me into a heated debate the other week because they said that Bale is the 3rd best footballer on earth. As in, ahead of Iniesta, Xavi, Ozil, Van Persie etc etc. Do you agree with this notion?
Nah not really. I think given a season or two he will be up there but not yet

Im thinking of a short city break away in January so Madrid could be on the list if I can get tickets

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:00 pm

Ozil plays for Real Madrid. Bale was far more important to his club, and single handedly carries his country.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:01 pm

Scottrff wrote:Well, he's the most expensive ever.

Not as good as Iniesta, but a mile ahead of Ozil. It's hardly a ridiculous claim. Bale is better than the current Xavi too.
Not sure I'd even have him top10 to be honest. He needs consistency first, he's just have ever increasing in length purple patches so far. Has never done 'it' for whole or successive seasons.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:02 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Not sure I'd even have him top10 to be honest.  He needs consistency first, he's just have ever increasing in length purple patches so far.  Has never done 'it' for whole or successive seasons.
He's done 'it' for 18 months at least.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Can't see us losing to India though.........
No, China first. Then India. The biggest wars are economic these days and the internet is the battlefield.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:02 pm

So did Giggs but he was never a top 3 world player.

Basically on that notion, of Raheem Sterling scores 25 goals next year, he will be 3rd best om the planet. Eh?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:03 pm

Scottrff wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Not sure I'd even have him top10 to be honest.  He needs consistency first, he's just have ever increasing in length purple patches so far.  Has never done 'it' for whole or successive seasons.
He's done 'it' for 18 months at least.
Not 18 months in a row he hasn't. He looked excellent for 6 months out of 9 last season which was his best yet. He's never done it over an entire season or continuous seasons. Season before he had about a 4 month period, same the season before that. He had about 2-3 months when Spurs were last in the CL.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:04 pm

I agree he needs consistency, but I thought we were talking about current form, not careers...

It's not just about scoring goals either, you only have to see him play to know that.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm

I go through the painstaking procedure of writing an in-depth article on Floyd for people to discuss Gareth Bale on it !!!!!!!

Good.......Because I think he is a great player who will win Real the champions league twinned with Ronaldo.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:05 pm

18 months as opposed to 3 years (ozils case) makes him that much better? What?

Ozil has set up more goals then anyone in football since 2010. Comparing the statistics proves just how much better he is.

if bale has 2 more season like last season, then he can rightly stake his claim as a top ten player, at the moment he is behind a fair few consistent performers with equally good stats.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm

Bold claim Truss, but with Ronaldo, Ramos, Benzema etc all venting their anger at the sale of Ozil may prove just how important HE was as opposed to Bales arrival in Spain.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:06 pm

Current form is exactly that, current. As in transient. A temporary situation.

Ronaldo was bought for £80m because he'd had 2-3 full seasons as one of Europe's best players testing himself against the best. Bale (due to Spurs never making CL) hasn't been playing the best and had only looked sensational for sections of a season at a time.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:07 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Bold claim Truss, but with Ronaldo, Ramos, Benzema etc all venting their anger at the sale of Ozil may prove just how important HE was as opposed to Bales arrival in Spain.
Fabregas was saying they've sold their second best player.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next