The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ???

+26
YDKSAB
armchairwarrior
Steffan
huw
KingMonkey
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
jack-rabbitpunch
Mad for Chelsea
hazharrison
superflyweight
mobilemaster8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
DynamiteChris
JabMachineMK2
jimdig
Rodney
Lumbering_Jack
horizontalhero
Strongback
88Chris05
hogey
The Terror of Tylorstown
captain carrantuohil
PPVxHOTTY
TRUSSMAN66
30 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ??? - Page 9 Empty Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Look at the top 10 list...............

Robinson - drew with Brimm at 27...Basora.....24...........Lost to the ordinary Lamotta....and was outboxed by the crouching Turpin twice..only a desperate rally saved him from a cut stoppage and a second owning!!.......The ring even carries an article in 1952 of him avoiding a rubber match with Turpin !!! with evidence to back it up.........all this before the age of 30 !!!..

When he was Mayweather's age he was being beaten twice by Pender and losing to Gene Fullmer...Forget Maxim..

This is not to knock the great Man....only to point out that these guys weren't always great.........By the way these losses don't harm Robinson....It's only Oscar who's losses count against him!!

Don't see anyone on Robbo's welter record Mayweather wouldn't beat..and Floyd was a 130er..........

Robinson perhaps fought slightly more p4pers than Floyd and won undisputed titles but the fact remains he was human.........and he could be beat!!........He also avoided Turpin..

But hey Robbo is a worthy choice..no doubts!!

Look at Ali - By the age of 29 he'd been beaten by Frazier...and lost to Norton at least twice in most peoples opinion.........(ALi is my number 1) At Floyd's age he was losing to an amateur in Leon Spinks..........

Not many p4pers in Ali's list...........Frazier, Foreman..maybe Liston......

Think Floyd's record matches up pretty well with Leonard's.............Losing to the lightweight Duran.........in his prime is a black mark for Ray in my opinion..........

Fact is how many fighters reign supreme at 36 years of age like Floyd and how many have been at the top of their sport for 15 years ????

Louis ten year reign is enough for top 10 status for him.........A laughable place that Floyd can't achieve in most eyes..

Fact is Mayweather isn't likable and it counts against him but more careful analysis shows that he does have a claim to be the best...However the older fighters like Robbo get... the more people forget the bad things they did and the poor performances.....

I'd pick Mayweather to beat Robbo and Leonard............Hearns would be my main concern.....

Not enough credit is given to Floyd being the best at 36 an unheard of age for number 1 p4p status...

For me Mayweather being the greatest ever isn't that farfetched...there is a case to be made....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 08 Sep 2013, 7:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ??? - Page 9 Empty Re: Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ???

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Everyone hates the English..............They owned everybody for centuries until they got their butts kicked......

They've been getting them kicked ever since...Cool 
And now the same is happening to the US, albeit at a slower pace as things aren't as abrupt in this day and age.
Can't see us losing to India though.........
or vietnam

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ??? - Page 9 Empty Re: Is Mayweather the greatest ever... really that farfetched ???

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:08 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:18 months as opposed to 3 years (ozils case) makes him that much better? What?

Ozil has set up more goals then anyone in football since 2010. Comparing the statistics proves just how much better he is.

if bale has 2 more season like last season, then he can rightly stake his claim as a top ten player, at the moment he is behind a fair few consistent performers with equally good stats.
Who cares about numbers? Ozil playing for Real Madrid alongside Ronaldo, and Bale playing for Tottenham, not sure comparing assist stats is fair.

I'm talking about watching them play, and talking about the better player right now (not a 3 year period).

By stats Walcott is pretty much the best player in the Prem, but I doubt you believe that.

Last edited by Scottrff on Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:08 pm

Peace with honor.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:08 pm

Sums it up really Top Hat

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:10 pm

Yeh Scott but you have to compare the statistics of your saying one is better than the other. Jordan Rhodes has been banging goals in in the lower leagues, is he better than Andy Carroll, Peter Crouch etc etc.

Ozil makes the team tick, sets up the most, scores a decent level of goals (bearing in mind in 2011/2012 he scored same as Bale)

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:12 pm

Is Bale the greatest ever...really that farfetched ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:12 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Yeh Scott but you have to compare the statistics
No you don't. It can't be proven, it's subjective, so no evidence needs to be provided.

You seem to be disproving your own arguments with the Jordan Rhodes points, you're the one comparing numbers with no context.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Peace with honor.........
that's how we felt about the fourth of july

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:16 pm

We occupied your land after it.............

I don't see many Vietnamese flags in Kansas...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:16 pm

I think it is, for now, Truss.

One season doing well doesn't turn you into an overnight superstar knocking consistent and proven players off their perch purely because real Madrid spent a stupid amount of money based on just that....one season.

Its about consistency, Ronaldo went to Madrid after having won champs league, premier league, fa cup, was the beat league player for 2-3 seasons IN A ROW, this resulting, justifiably, him being the worlds best, or second best.

come back to me in another two seasons where bale maybe top 5, as for now he is just an inflated price tag with no proven level of substance or consistency.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:18 pm

Besides we couldn't tell a North Vietnamese from a Southern one.........

Easy with your lot...we just shot at the bowler hats...and kept our ears to the ground for noises like "Spiffing old chap"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:18 pm

Maybe you only noticed Bale this season, can't say it was the same for me.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We occupied your land after it.............

I don't see many Vietnamese flags in Kansas...
don't imagine the vietcong wanted kansas... do the people in kansas want it?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:21 pm

The world noticed him this season, but before that he had a few months here and there showing glimpses of what he could possibly achieve down the line. For example his tearing up of Maicon at Inter. Has he played at that level all year round like Ronaldo or messi then id put him In their sentance. One season does mot make you better than Xavi, Iniesta, RVP, Ozil, Schweinsteiger etc etc etc.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:25 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:The world noticed him this season.
Madrid wanted him before the season started.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Besides we couldn't tell a North Vietnamese from a Southern one.........

Easy with your lot...we just shot at the bowler hats...and kept our ears to the ground for noises like "Spiffing old chap"
To be fair truss, we only had a few people with bowler's over there.... it was back in the day when we'd swap countries with the spanish over a game of poker.

But i say well done to those english descendant pioneers, taking control of their own destiny. Just the stiff upper lip behaviour we'd expect... shame it got watered down by all those johnny foreigners over the years into being 'american'. Its called the war of independence, but it was just an english civil war fought in another country, with barely a battle worthy of the name.

Can those of you talking football take it elsewhere. Truss and i are having a serious conversation here.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:48 pm

This random post removal is confusing........ Erm 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 4:50 pm

milkyboy wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Besides we couldn't tell a North Vietnamese from a Southern one.........

To be fair truss, we only had a few people with bowler's over there.... it was back in the day when we'd swap countries with the spanish over a game of poker.

But i say well done to those english descendant pioneers, taking control of their own destiny. Just the stiff upper lip behaviour we'd expect... shame it got watered down by all those johnny foreigners over the years into being 'american'. Its called the war of independence, but it was just an english civil war fought in another country, with barely a battle worthy of the name.

Can those of you talking football take it elsewhere. Truss and i are having a serious conversation here.
Major pet peeve of mine is (mainly) Yanks referring to it as an American Revolution or Revolutionary War or some such description!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:58 pm

My pet peeve is it being referred to as a war.....

War implies it was a battle.........rather than a one sided slap..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:16 pm

Hahaha, slapped by the French, I'll concede that.

Sad thing is the militia that came out after were the reasoning behind the origins of 'right to bear arms' and now that right is totally destroying the same country it helped create, like an apple rotting from the inside out.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:27 pm

I assume everyone will be watching the football tonight

Come on Wales Wales

Oh and come on the Ukraine

Even though both teams will probably lose Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:53 pm

Steffan wrote:I assume everyone will be watching the football tonight

Come on Wales Wales

Oh and come on the Ukraine

Even though both teams will probably lose Laugh
We've all been too nice..to have brought this up Mate !!Laugh 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9