The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC, Pool 2, Round 1: Exeter Chiefs vs Cardiff Blues

+31
Jhamer25
stub
majesticimperialman
Trevor40
GLove39
nathan
whocares
Swperb
glamorganalun
Portnoy's Complaint
kingjohn7
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
BamBam
Bathman_in_London
No9
LeinsterFan4life
reallybored
The Saint
Cumbrian
VinceWLB
TJ
Coleman
wales606
Cardiff Dave
XR
Taffineastbourne
VietGwentRevisited
21st Century Schizoid Man
Comfort
LordDowlais
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
35 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

HC, Pool 2, Round 1: Exeter Chiefs vs Cardiff Blues - Page 4 Empty HC, Pool 2, Round 1: Exeter Chiefs vs Cardiff Blues

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm no George Carlin when it comes to setting up a new thread, but I thought I'd get one going for the other pool 2 match. It seems to me that both teams have had an indifferent start to the season, yet both seemed to hit their straps in their final game pre round 1, Cardiff Blues with a comfortable home win over Embra, and Exe putting Glaws to the sword at Kingsholm. Now admittedly Edinburgh have been pretty poor oppo this season, but equally Glaws were not on song yesterday, so perhaps we shouldn't read too much into either of these most recent encounters. Cardiff have now welcomed back their B&I Lions group, with strong displays from Jenkins, Warburton, Cuthbert and Halfpenny yesterday. For the Chiefs, DR Rob Baxter was delighted that at last his players delivered a full 80 minute performance, which has sadly been lacking season-to-date. All-in-all, this should lead to a pretty exciting encounter, both teams are an interesting blend of seasoned pros and promising youth (looking forward to the battle in the centres between Corey Allen and Sam Hill, two very exciting prospects) - can't wait to get back down to Sandy Park and soak up the atmosphere for this one

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

HC, Pool 2, Round 1: Exeter Chiefs vs Cardiff Blues - Page 4 Empty Re: HC, Pool 2, Round 1: Exeter Chiefs vs Cardiff Blues

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Ended on an entertaining note at least, glad the scoreline looked a bit more flattering and we got a point out of it.

Back to top Go down

HC, Pool 2, Round 1: Exeter Chiefs vs Cardiff Blues - Page 4 Empty Re: HC, Pool 2, Round 1: Exeter Chiefs vs Cardiff Blues

Post by Guest Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:48 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:If the chiefs had not gone down to 13 men. Cardiff would have been well hammerd. in my opinion.

I said it yesterday after the Quins / Scarlets game. It is the first game of a long season and maybe, maybe the players are a little bit rusty. But that was a terrible first half by cardiff blues.
Not seen much of the Blues this season have you?

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:49 pm

IronMike wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:If the chiefs had not gone down to 13 men. Cardiff would have been well hammerd. in my opinion.

I said it yesterday after the Quins / Scarlets game. It is the first game of a long season and maybe, maybe the players are a little bit rusty. But that was a terrible first half by cardiff blues.
Not seen much of the Blues this season have you?
NO, I have not. Have they been worst than today?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:50 pm

When we lost to Zebre. . .

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Well done to the Blues PLAYERS for getting something from the game all be it 1 point be hey better than nothing,
i imagine Phil will use that second half to paper over the cracks.
Also why is Petouris ahead of Copeland?

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Wow, what a first half , amazing tempo - shame we couldn't keep it going, but full credit to the Blues for working hard to get back in to the game and secure their own BP

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Yep - what a first half from the Chiefs - a great display.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:26 pm

I just don't get the Blues, i just can't put my funger on where there problem is.
I don't completely blame Phil however he does need to work on the defence. I do think Shaun Edwards will be a good shout.
But indicduallu some players just didn't play well. The amount of missed tackles was a joke and i think Matthew Rees and Filo Paulo were two big problems in that area. Matthew is on about wanting to be back in the Welsh set up but with his current form i wouldn't put him anywhere near the Autumn squad.
Filise is way past it now, as good scrummagers as Matthew and Gethin are when the tight head is going backwards you can't have a steady platform; it's not like he is even that goo int he loose either which is the only reason Scott should be ahead of him, no Scott wouldn't fix the scrum but at least he gets around the pitch and is good with ball in hands.
And how the hell Copeland didn't start is beyond me, he completely outclassed Pretorious. He has been a great find from the Blues.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Well done Chiefs!

Cracking display but took their foot off the gas and lost discipline for a crazy twenty minutes.

Fair play to the Blues (Pinks!) for battling back and restoring some pride but it was men against boys first half.

Really like watching the Chiefs play - they really seem like a tight side who work hard. Really solid in the scrum too.

Some crazy scorelines today Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Most followers (Blues or otherwise) that have watched the Blues in the Rabo so far wouldn't have been to surprised by the defeat and maybe best hoped for was a losing BP but I doubt many expected it in this fashion.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:44 pm

stub wrote:Yep - what a first half from the Chiefs - a great display.
Indeed. I loved the way they ran almost everything back - no kick tennis and they have ruined one of my points in the euro cup row. I love to see a team playing attacking high tempo rugby. good on them. i enjoyed the game with an english winner!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:40 am

Shame for Cardiff, and good for Exeter.  Was incredible domination by Exe in the first 50 minutes to get up by 40-3.  Exeter have not been great so far this season and hopefully this can really spur them on in the Premiership and Heineken Cup.  I like the way the team plays.  For Cardiff, there were no positives and the best thing is for some short term memory loss, and as quickly as possible.  I think they are not the team we saw on Sunday.  Need to move on quickly and need a big win against Glasgow on Friday evening.  Unfortunately, Glasgow are in the exact same position.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:56 am

doctor_grey wrote:Shame for Cardiff, and good for Exeter.  Was incredible domination by Exe in the first 50 minutes to get up by 40-3.  Exeter have not been great so far this season and hopefully this can really spur them on in the Premiership and Heineken Cup.  I like the way the team plays.  For Cardiff, there were no positives and the best thing is for some short term memory loss, and as quickly as possible.  I think they are not the team we saw on Sunday.  Need to move on quickly and need a big win against Glasgow on Friday evening.  Unfortunately, Glasgow are in the exact same position.
Its Glasgow vs Exeter and Blues vs Toulon next weekend.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:59 am

Looking forward to it already - Glasgow / Exeter is going to define Glasgows season. Shoulfd be a cracking game as well. I hope toonie learns from the selection mistakes made and go all out for the bonus point win.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VietGwentRevisited Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:01 am

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Well done to the Blues PLAYERS for getting something from the game all be it 1 point be hey better than nothing,
i imagine Phil will use that second half to paper over the cracks.
Also why is Petouris ahead of Copeland?
The second half should be ignored - unless Blues start well this coming weekend, as the game was over. The first half was the better reflection of the state of play in Cardiff. the pinks had all the big names, but the Chiefs were a team. Phil Davies should be digging out his CV right now.

VietGwentRevisited

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:16 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Shame for Cardiff, and good for Exeter.  Was incredible domination by Exe in the first 50 minutes to get up by 40-3.  Exeter have not been great so far this season and hopefully this can really spur them on in the Premiership and Heineken Cup.  I like the way the team plays.  For Cardiff, there were no positives and the best thing is for some short term memory loss, and as quickly as possible.  I think they are not the team we saw on Sunday.  Need to move on quickly and need a big win against Glasgow on Friday evening.  Unfortunately, Glasgow are in the exact same position.
Its Glasgow vs Exeter and Blues vs Toulon next weekend.
Thanks for the clarification, not sure what I was reading.  So its frying pan into the fire then?  If anything Toulon looked better than Exeter. When they play like a team, are deadly.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:20 am

Toulon looked like worthy winners of the competition to me. Remember Glasgow who they beat are unbeaten in the league, have hardly had any tries scored against them and look worthy leaders of the league having beaten leinster.
Exeter will have to step it up again to win - but playing like they did in the first half they could just do it. Get ahead, unsettle them and its game on. they will have to be brave tho and go for the win.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:26 am

The Blues will have to raise their game ten fold just to stay within touching distance of Toulon this weekend or I fear a right old tonking.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:27 am

Indeed - they remind me of edinburgh last year.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevor40 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:28 am

So the top of the Rabo get 50 points out on them? Pathetic by any standards.

Trevor40

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 am

Trevor40 wrote:So the top of the Rabo get 50 points out on them? Pathetic by any standards.
Have you made a post on this board yet without describing something as "pathetic" in the process?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 am

Do you really think any other team could have got close to Toulon? NOt on any evidence we have so far. toulon won it last year and look better this year.

You really are a pathetic troll.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 am

Look at the results. Not much quality from the ap clubs was there?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:55 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:The Blues will have to raise their game ten fold just to stay within touching distance of Toulon this weekend or I fear a right old tonking.
Almost lost in this, at least for me, is that Toulon signed Bryan Habana and he has yet to play for Toulon. He might not be on fire as he was a few seasons ago, but he is a terrific player and deadly finisher, and will make that team even better.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:00 am

It was scary looking at the subs for the glasgow / toulon game. Wilko goes off - on comes michelack! Haymans, Russow just awaiting their chance to show. compare the Glasgow bench - it looked very threadbare

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Cardiff have had worse days at the office.
HEC 2006
Leeds Tykes 43-3 Cardiff Blues
The starting XV included; Jonah Lomu, Mike Phillips, Gethin Jenkins, Martyn Williams, Xavier Rush...
http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/match_centre_cardiff_blues.php?section=lineups&fixid=5093

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Strangely Phil Davies was Leeds coach in that period I think.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:Strangely Phil Davies was Leeds coach in that period I think.
I think you're right.

From wiki;
"At the end of April 2006, Phil Davies resigned as Director Of Rugby to be replaced by academy coach Stuart Lancaster."

Leeds Tykes smashed Cardiff Blues in January 2006. Well I never.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 am

TJ wrote:It was scary looking at the subs for the glasgow / toulon game. Wilko goes off - on comes michelack!  Haymans, Russow just awaiting their chance to show.  compare the Glasgow bench - it looked very threadbare
Toulon may have thrown around a lot of money, but they generally used it wisely.  Didn't sign show pony types.  Instead most of their signings have been tough, uncompromising, hard nosed, and talented guys who know how to win.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4