The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné)

+13
aucklandlaurie
blackcanelion
profitius
Notch
kiakahaaotearoa
HammerofThunor
doctor_grey
Toadfish
LeinsterFan4life
Sin é
Toohey
GloriousEmpire
GunsGerms
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné) Empty Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné)

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:40 am

The IRFU are putting forward a proposal to the NZRU to play a rematch next November outside the November International window. The game would be a massive windfall for the IRFU and another pop at the title for the players.

Good idea or not?

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/schmidt-excited-prospect-all-blacks-ireland-rematch-1208054-Dec2013/

Last edited by GunsGerms on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 4:11 pm; edited 3 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné) Empty Re: Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné)

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:43 am

BZZZZZZZZZT!!! "What is punch drunk?".

Sorry, thought we were playing Jeopardy.

Seriously though, is that because the IRFU believe their best chance of beating NZ is outside the test window? would their players even be available?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné) Empty Re: Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné)

Post by Toohey Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:46 am

Sure it would be great to have another crack at them but not sure about how much of a windfall it would be. England had to pay them £1.5m to get them to play outside the window in 2012.

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:47 am

The ABs are looking for someone to play against them on the East Coast of the US next November. Its a money spinner. Their sponsor is American.

All Blacks to chase dollars with match in USA
MARC HINTON IN PARIS
Last updated 05:03 10/11/2013

The All Blacks are finally ready to take their iconic global brand to the United States - though who they'll play there remains a work in progress.

New Zealand Rugby is currently negotiating a big-money game in the USA next November, hoping to take the world champions to a major stadium somewhere in the vicinity of New York on the eastern seaboard.

The game would be the equivalent of this year's test against Japan in Tokyo, played en route to the UK for the traditional end-of-year tour. It would also significantly strengthen the relationship with US-based major sponsors AIG.

New Zealand Rugby Union boss Steve Tew said negotiations are advanced around the fixture, which would be the All Blacks' first match in the United States in the professional era.

"Japan was very successful, we were very happy with that, and we will be looking for a similar game in North America this time next year," Tew said in Paris last night.

"We're advanced [in discussions] but there's still a bit to go. The hardest thing actually is who we play. We've got to sort that out first and foremost."

The opponent is problematic because the fixture falls outside the IRB's player release window. With the Wallabies pretty much off the table - there is no desire to add to the three Bledisloe contests already on the slate - and the preference for a team stronger than the hosts could muster, Tew admitted some hard thinking had to be done.

"We're looking at some options in terms of venue," he said. "Our first preference is the East Coast and to play somewhere close to New York, but we've got to find the appropriate stadium. It's got to be available that weekend, and it's got to be big enough.

"It's likely to be against some sort of invitational side. We'll do our very best, but there will be a little bit of a compromise. No doubt some people will see what we're trying to achieve and accept it and others will be critical."

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen said the match was valuable from his perspective, and he'd much rather have it tagged on at the start of the tour, than have to eat into the players' much-needed break period at the other end.

"The States is not somewhere we've been a lot, so it's an exciting place to go," he said. "What approach we take to that game, we'll have to see where we're sitting. It's an opportunity to really have a look at what happens at World Cup time, so do we just take 31 and deal with it, or if we're not quite satisfied where we are with the mix, do we take some younger guys again?

"By the time we have to pick that squad it's about 12 months away and we'll have answers to those questions."

Tew said the fixture, unlike Japan which made a small profit, would be a "revenue generator" but was not being done for that reason.

"It's driven by the fact Steve would like another game, and it would be very helpful for us to play in the American market," Tew said.

"AIG are based there, though we're not committed contractually to do so."

The All Blacks last played in the United States in 1980 when Graham Mourie's side defeated the USA national team 53-6 at San Diego
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:49 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:BZZZZZZZZZT!!! "What is punch drunk?".

Sorry, thought we were playing Jeopardy.

Seriously though, is that because the IRFU believe their best chance of beating NZ is outside the test window? would their players even be available?
Only foreign players would be unavailable and there is only one at the moment; Jonathan Sexton. He has some release clause in his contract for international duty but I doubt he would be able to play.

I doubt it is because they believe their best chance of beating NZ is outside the test window but that they arent scheduled to play NZ next year at all and want to strike while the iron is hot and have another shot at them.

Such a match which would be a guarenteed sell out would also be a big financial windfall for an organisation still paying off their new stadium.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:50 am

Toohey wrote:Sure it would be great to have another crack at them but not sure about how much of a windfall it would be.  England had to pay them £1.5m to get them to play outside the window in 2012.
Reeeeeaaaaallly? chin

I wonder what the terms of that agreement might have been. £1.5 sure is a lot of money. Whistle  Just saying.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:52 am

Toohey wrote:Sure it would be great to have another crack at them but not sure about how much of a windfall it would be.  England had to pay them £1.5m to get them to play outside the window in 2012.
Other way around this time. The Abs will pay the IRFU. They would be guaranteed a full house with all the Irish over there. The best attendance for the Eagles games was versus Ireland.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:53 am

If the game was outside the window then Sexton (and whoever moves to France next season) won't be available. The Top 14 teams won't be as kind as Northampton were.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:56 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:If the game was outside the window then Sexton (and whoever moves to France next season) won't be available. The Top 14 teams won't be as kind as Northampton were.
Sexton has it written into his contract that he will be available any time Ireland want him.

Northampton isn't being kind - they are fulfilling their contract obligations.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:02 am

Interesting. Well then thats that sorted I guess. Its great to see Ireland now has the confidence to play against them.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:04 am

Sin é wrote:
Other way around this time. The Abs will pay the IRFU. They would be guaranteed a full house with all the Irish over there. The best attendance for the Eagles games was versus Ireland.
I assumed the OP was talking about a home international against NZ? Are you talking about a potential away fixture in the US for the All Blacks with an unknown opposition you are assuming will be Ireland?

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:06 am

Toohey wrote:
Sin é wrote:
I assumed the OP was talking about a home international against NZ?  Are you talking about a potential away fixture in the US for the All Blacks with an unknown opposition you are assuming will be Ireland?
I thought I heard it would be at home on the radio. Maybe I heard wrong. Cant see how it would work otherwise.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:06 am

Guns, the IRFU have paid off the Aviva. They have loaned money to the Stadium Company.

I think the IRFU must be the best run Union (financially) in world rugby.

Tom Grace - take a bow.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:08 am

Sin é wrote:Guns, the IRFU have paid off the Aviva. They have loaned money to the Stadium Company.

Tom Grace - take a bow.

Didnt realise that but I agree the IRFU are underrated by Irish people. I think they do an incredible job. By the way Tom Grace scored Irelands only try in our only draw with the ABs.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:09 am

Sin. I think the US got more against the Maori this year then they did against us or was that Canada?

Anyway they could easily get 40-50k for this game when the ABs do play in the USA.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:10 am

[quote="Toohey"]
Sin é wrote:
I assumed the OP was talking about a home international against NZ?  Are you talking about a potential away fixture in the US for the All Blacks with an unknown opposition you are assuming will be Ireland?[/quote

Yep - Ireland is the perfect opponent for them in the US.
Ireland will be the attraction there, not the ABs.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:15 am

Sin é wrote:
Toohey wrote:
Sin é wrote:
I assumed the OP was talking about a home international against NZ?  Are you talking about a potential away fixture in the US for the All Blacks with an unknown opposition you are assuming will be Ireland?[/quote

Ahh so you did just leap to a massive conclusion. Fair enough.

I walked past Kiera Knightly the other day and she smiled at me. I assume that means she wants to marry me so I'm going to go ahead and plan the wedding.

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:16 am

Why would you want to marry Keira Knightley? The head on her.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:17 am

Sin é wrote:Guns, the IRFU have paid off the Aviva. They have loaned money to the Stadium Company.

Tom Grace - take a bow.

Nope, financially at least that would be the RFU.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:19 am

Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

They paid the ABs £1.5m. They cant be that financially savvy. Just because they are the richest doesnt mean they are the best run.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:20 am

Toohey wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toohey wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Ahh so you did just leap to a massive conclusion.  Fair enough.

I walked past Kiera Knightly the other day and she smiled at me.  I assume that means she wants to marry me so I'm going to go ahead and plan the wedding.
I don't think its a massive conclusion to come to.

1. ABs want to play in US next autumn in a game outside international window.
2. If they want to do that, why would they decide to play Ireland in Ireland which would prevent them from playing in the US as that would extend their season too much and they would be highly unlikely to get an opponent at that stage?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Toohey Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:20 am

GunsGerms wrote:Why would you want to marry Keira Knightley? The head on her.
Thought if I fattened her up it might even things out a bit?

Toohey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:23 am

Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

Nope - the IRFU have significently less income, run 4 professional rugby teams, and own their own new (3 year old) stadium.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:25 am

Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

Nope - the IRFU have significently less income, run 4 professional rugby teams, and own their own new (3 year old) stadium.
Twickers could do with an upgrade if you ask me. It is quite a slow stadium in terms of getting in and out of it compared to others in the six nations.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:28 am

Toohey wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Why would you want to marry Keira Knightley? The head on her.
Thought if I fattened her up it might even things out a bit?
Silicone.
Lots 'o silicone.
That's the solution.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:32 am

Any idea if this would be before the AI or after? The Japan game (which the US game is the equivalent of) was before. After would be better for Ireland (played three games together, All Blacks at the end of their season) but would mean the Irish players were coming back from US just before European games (assuming they're in the same slot).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:32 am

Sin é wrote:All Blacks to chase dollars with match in USA
MARC HINTON IN PARIS

The All Blacks are finally ready to take their iconic global brand to the United States - though who they'll play there remains a work in progress.

New Zealand Rugby is currently negotiating a big-money game in the USA next November, hoping to take the world champions to a major stadium somewhere in the vicinity of New York on the eastern seaboard.
Yeah, baby. ABs-Ireland or ABs-England in the New York area would be a money spinner deluxe. And if in Giants Stadium (MetLife Stadium now) a simple 25 minutes from home.
80,000 watching Rugby at extortionate prices in the US. Seriously would be great for Rugby.
Nice.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:35 am

doctor_grey wrote:
Sin é wrote:All Blacks to chase dollars with match in USA
MARC HINTON IN PARIS

Yeah, baby.  ABs-Ireland or ABs-England in the New York area would be a money spinner deluxe.  And if in Giants Stadium (MetLife Stadium now) a simple 25 minutes from home.  
80,000 watching Rugby at extortionate prices in the US.  Seriously would be great for Rugby.  
Nice.
Have been to the Giants stadium. It is class. Massive carpark for tailgating!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ireland v NZ at Giants stadium would be epic and of course it is already the scene of one of Irelands greatest sporting victories.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:38 am

Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

Well that told me!  Do you think spending more than you generate is the sign of a financial well run organisation?  Here is a comment from the IRFU annual report:

'Put simply because the Union spends
more than the cash revenue it generates in each year, if the Union
wish to maintain current expenditure levels then it will have to
borrow more money in the future to fund its operations and repay
this borrowing from a successful renewal of premium tickets in
2020/21.'

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:41 am

Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

Well that told me!  Do you think spending more than you generate is the sign of a financial well run organisation?  Here is a comment from the IRFU annual report:

2020/21.'
Thats only presumably because they had a stadium to pay off and they also did up Thomond park. Maybe the RFU should throw some money at Twickers?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:42 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

Twickers could do with an upgrade if you ask me. It is quite a slow stadium in terms of getting in and out of it compared to others in the six nations.
Think they are in the middle of a £75m programme to upgrade the ground at the moment.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:43 am

Toadfish wrote:Think they are in the middle of a £75m programme to upgrade the ground at the moment.
Really? Cool, didnt realise. it is a cool stadium but a little jaded and slow in and out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:48 am

Personally I wouldn't want to see it happen. Not the match but the 4th game outside the window before the RWC year. A proposal is in plan already for a fourth game or a prequel game to the three AI games in the US.

It's true there is no income from June tests or AI tests in a RWC year and so the idea might be attractive from that point of view. But three tests in June, six in the RC, a bonus Bledisloe and potentially five tests in November / December is more than a game too far for me.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:50 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Personally I wouldn't want to see it happen. Not the match but the 4th game outside the window before the RWC year. A proposal is in plan already for a fourth game or a prequel game to the three AI games in the US.

It's true there is no income from June tests or AI tests in a RWC year and so the idea might be attractive from that point of view. But three tests in June, six in the RC, a bonus Bledisloe and potentially five tests in November / December is more than a game too far for me.
At least the ABs have the player base to do it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:51 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Personally I wouldn't want to see it happen. Not the match but the 4th game outside the window before the RWC year. A proposal is in plan already for a fourth game or a prequel game to the three AI games in the US.

Plus you know it'll be like the third test in June. Everyone will get their hopes up. Then NZ will run out by 60 points and the fans on both sides will be left wondering why they bothered.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:53 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:

Plus you know it'll be like the third test in June. Everyone will get their hopes up. Then NZ will run out by 60 points and the fans on both sides will be left wondering why they bothered.
Yeah cause the ABs regularly beat Ireland by 60 points. ghost

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:59 am

Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

2020/21.'
Thats called financial planning.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:01 pm

Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

2020/21.'
Nope, it's called living beyond your means.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

Bad, bad- very bad. No to games outside the international window!!

Really hope this doesn't happen. Look at the Ospreys last weekend- second string team beaten at home in front of a tiny crowd. There is no weekend outside the international window that doesn't clash with provincial commitments.

Desperately hope this doesn't go ahead.

Last edited by Notch on Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:03 pm

You won't have those in a world cup year. NH teams don't tour.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:06 pm

Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

2020/21.'
How is it living beyond your means? Its "IF the Union wish to maintain current expenditure levels."

They can decide to cut back on expenditure (i.e., not meeting player wage demands and letting them go to France).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:07 pm

Sin é wrote:

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:11 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:11 pm

Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

2020/21.'
How is it living beyond your means? Its "IF the Union wish to maintain current expenditure levels."

They can decide to cut back on expenditure (i.e., not meeting player wage demands and letting them go to France).
They can do what they like in the future but that is the case at the moment, they are spending more than they generate. Your point was that at the moment the IRFU was the best financially run union in the world. A comment from your own treasurer would appear to counter this claim.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:12 pm

Sin é wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
Sin é wrote:

That's all talking about 2014 you donut. Try reading the whole paragraph.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:23 pm

Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
Toadfish wrote:

Tom Grace - take a bow.

2020/21.'

They can do what they like in the future but that is the case at the moment, they are spending more than they generate.  Your point was that at the moment the IRFU was the best financially run union in the world.  A comment from your own treasurer would appear to counter this claim.
Yep, the IRFU had a surplus of 14.9m* and Tom Grace says we need to tighten our belts!

Any other union would be delighted with those kind of results, particularly after building a new stadium that is now paid off (and loaning 34m to the stadium company).

Even taking into account of the 11m extraordinary payment for Puma pulling out (bit of luck that!), the surplus was still 3.4m.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 12:29 pm

Toadfish wrote:
Sin é wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
Sin é wrote:

That's all talking about 2014 you donut.  Try reading the whole paragraph.
November 2014 is a year (more or less) before the world cup.
2014 is a year before 2015.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:03 pm

When you say the IRFU loaned money to the stadium company, does that really mean they loaned money to the FAI?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:04 pm

Notch wrote:Bad, bad- very bad. No to games outside the international window!!

Really hope this doesn't happen. Look at the Ospreys last weekend- second string team beaten at home in front of a tiny crowd. There is no weekend outside the international window that doesn't clash with provincial commitments.

Desperately hope this doesn't go ahead.
The provinces will survive for one match.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:09 pm

It's a money making venture that both sides would use to blood players in the test environment. It makes sense for NZ, because it's before the tour, so it breaks up the jet lag. It makes sense for Ireland and NZ in that they can spread their brand in the northwest. Massachusetts has a strong Irish ex pat community. The US will want a viable competition team. They've found in the past that a pummeling have set them back.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next