The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné)

+13
aucklandlaurie
blackcanelion
profitius
Notch
kiakahaaotearoa
HammerofThunor
doctor_grey
Toadfish
LeinsterFan4life
Sin é
Toohey
GloriousEmpire
GunsGerms
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné) - Page 2 Empty Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné)

Post by GunsGerms Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:40 am

First topic message reminder :

The IRFU are putting forward a proposal to the NZRU to play a rematch next November outside the November International window. The game would be a massive windfall for the IRFU and another pop at the title for the players.

Good idea or not?

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/schmidt-excited-prospect-all-blacks-ireland-rematch-1208054-Dec2013/

Last edited by GunsGerms on Thu 05 Dec 2013, 4:11 pm; edited 3 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné)

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 1:37 pm

profitius wrote:When you say the IRFU loaned money to the stadium company, does that really mean they loaned money to the FAI?
In the accounts it is stated as 'Loan to New Stadium Limited 33,411,199'

It says that: ''The Loan to New Stadium Limited is interest-free and has no fixed terms of repayment.'

P. 51 in the 12-13 Accounts.

New Stadium Limited is a joint venture between the FAI & IRFU.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné) - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland V New Zealand rematch next November (or possibly in the US according to Siné)

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 04 Dec 2013, 3:45 pm

Sin e thanks for all the highlighting but the NZ season falls within a calendar year unlike the NH season. So next year there are 3 tests in June against England, 6 RC games, an extra game in Brisbane, a possible US match and then three games in Europe. Ireland is proposing adding another game. The following year there is no June series nor AI games. Is the Ireland game going to cover for that and does it put the test players at risk who probably won't want to miss Super rugby because there are limited chances to get match fitness. This is what the NZRU must weigh up.

Personally I think it is too much and the priority must be to have the players peaking physically in October in 2015. That means allowing them the longest recovery possible. Ever been on one too many dates with a lady and thought you should have cut your losses earlier. That's your lower head ruling against your upper head. This is along similar lines. Not thinking with your mind but some silly billy doing all the thinking instead.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 04 Dec 2013, 3:46 pm

Wouldn't let me say it so Ill say it in Kiwi speak: duck hid

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 4:53 pm

Kia, the ABs (and their sponsors AIG) want this game. If you read the article I posted, it will explain all of that.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:41 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Notch wrote:Bad, bad- very bad. No to games outside the international window!!

Really hope this doesn't happen. Look at the Ospreys last weekend- second string team beaten at home in front of a tiny crowd. There is no weekend outside the international window that doesn't clash with provincial commitments.

Desperately hope this doesn't go ahead.
The provinces will survive for one match.
Nah feck that- a pointless money making match that isn't even in Ireland. No way is this a good idea.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:57 pm

Has it been confirmed the Irish game would be in US? Isn't that just speculation due to the fact the All Blacks want to play there and Ireland would be a big draw? The all Black article talks about an invitational side.

Slippery slope. Do it one year...why not another?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 04 Dec 2013, 9:28 pm

Well if Ireland is the match in the US Siné the match is possible. But there's nothing in the article to suggest it would be Ireland. A team equivalent to Japan would make more sense and that fits the description of an invitational side. But Ireland would make sense in the American market. Much would depend on the team Ireland sent.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:16 pm

Good article here Kia on Brand All Blacks.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/big-push-begins-to-create-us-market-for-all-black-magic-1.1612105?page=1

From Irish Times last week (30 Nov). Keith Duggan

This winter, they toured as champions and their skill and power has been as awesome as ever. But with their age-old devotion to perfecting and reimagining the game comes the new obligation to showcase the brand. Just two weeks ago, AIG won the sponsor of the year at Twickenham and among the congratulatory words came the promise this was just the start of a drive (and specifically All Black rugby) “to take rugby to more fans around the world”. So someday, a choice between a winter Test in Dublin or New York may come down not to history and tradition but to wherever the market is.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm

If the ABs were to play Ireland next November, then that would mean they would have played Ireland 5 times in less than two and a half years.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 04 Dec 2013, 10:40 pm

Yeah far too many meetings
I don't like how we play Aus 3 times a year at all.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:08 pm

I'd take any chance to play the All Blacks. The more you play them the more you're forced to play at the upper limits of your abilities to have a chance.

Plus it's the Giants Stadium. Site of the Rep. of Ireland's soccer team beating Italy for the first time in history.

Sounds like they'll play some sort of invitational team though. I think rugby would prove popular in America if it was pushed there. And who better to push it than the New Zealanders.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 04 Dec 2013, 11:22 pm

nganboy wrote:Yeah far too many meetings
I don't like how we play Aus 3 times a year at all.

But at least they are next door.Next year we will be playing England four times.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 05 Dec 2013, 2:22 am

GunsGerms wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
Sin é wrote:All Blacks to chase dollars with match in USA
MARC HINTON IN PARIS
Last updated 05:03 10/11/2013

The All Blacks are finally ready to take their iconic global brand to the United States - though who they'll play there remains a work in progress.

New Zealand Rugby is currently negotiating a big-money game in the USA next November, hoping to take the world champions to a major stadium somewhere in the vicinity of New York on the eastern seaboard.
Yeah, baby.  ABs-Ireland or ABs-England in the New York area would be a money spinner deluxe.  And if in Giants Stadium (MetLife Stadium now) a simple 25 minutes from home.  
80,000 watching Rugby at extortionate prices in the US.  Seriously would be great for Rugby.  
Nice.
Have been to the Giants stadium. It is class. Massive carpark for tailgating!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ireland v NZ at Giants stadium would be epic and of course it is already the scene of one of Irelands greatest sporting victories.
And I was at the party in the hotel afterwards.  Who knew that the hotel where my gym used to be was the same hotel which was hosting the Ireland team.  A great, great night.  And that was only soccer.  Imagine if Ireland did the same but this time against the ABs here............

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 05 Dec 2013, 6:05 am

Well that last part about a test in New York as opposed to Dublin, Siné, is because it's an Irish paper and this may be the way things might progress in the future. Still think it's speculation but if that figure of 15 million a year is anywhere near accurate, that's the price I'm willing to pay to satisfy those bailed out sponsors. That kind of guarantee of money keeps players in a black shirt at home. Without it, our finances would be in a right mess. It's selling your soul to some soulless corporation but at the end of the day it's taking their money to preserve what you have. A potential game in New York against Ireland as a way of ensuring that I can deal with but 14 tests already is a season too far. Add in other games and the apple cart will fall.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 05 Dec 2013, 6:25 am

Primary challenge is this proposed match would be during the American Football season.  The Giants and Jets both use Met Life Stadium on opposite weekends.  So, if their artificial pitch was to be modified for Rugby, it would take some deft planning.  

On the plus side, filling the stadium with 80,000+ at average of $50 per ticket would gross $4 million, and net about $3 million.  That's before merchandise.  

Now if they charge more, say equivalent to what the NY Giants charge, then the average ticket goes up to more than $80 per ticket, for a gross of $6.4 million and a net of about $5 million.  Again, that's before merchandise.

Money spinner? Oh yeah.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 05 Dec 2013, 9:52 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Well that last part about a test in New York as opposed to Dublin, Siné, is because it's an Irish paper and this may be the way things might progress in the future. Still think it's speculation but if that figure of 15 million a year is anywhere near accurate, that's the price I'm willing to pay to satisfy those bailed out sponsors. That kind of guarantee of money keeps players in a black shirt at home. Without it, our finances would be in a right mess. It's selling your soul to some soulless corporation but at the end of the day it's taking their money to preserve what you have. A potential game in New York against Ireland as a way of ensuring that I can deal with but 14 tests already is a season too far. Add in other games and the apple cart will fall.
Are you afraid the ABs would lose or something?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 05 Dec 2013, 10:20 am

If we did beat the All Blacks for the first time in the USA, it would always have an asterisk besides the result as it would be a money-making game outside the international window with neither side at full-strength.

There is nothing that I like about this idea.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 06 Dec 2013, 12:43 am

GunsGerms wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Well that last part about a test in New York as opposed to Dublin, Siné, is because it's an Irish paper and this may be the way things might progress in the future. Still think it's speculation but if that figure of 15 million a year is anywhere near accurate, that's the price I'm willing to pay to satisfy those bailed out sponsors. That kind of guarantee of money keeps players in a black shirt at home. Without it, our finances would be in a right mess. It's selling your soul to some soulless corporation but at the end of the day it's taking their money to preserve what you have. A potential game in New York against Ireland as a way of ensuring that I can deal with but 14 tests already is a season too far. Add in other games and the apple cart will fall.
Are you afraid the ABs would lose or something?
Off course

We are always afraid the ABs might lose. Comes from winning so often. Those teams that aren't afraid to lose do it more often.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 06 Dec 2013, 9:10 am

Notch wrote:If we did beat the All Blacks for the first time in the USA, it would always have an asterisk besides the result as it would be a money-making game outside the international window with neither side at full-strength.

There is nothing that I like about this idea.
Agree Notch. Down with this sort of thing.

Besides the last time we toured the US we had those ads with Todd Cleaver and that evil leprechaun. You think that would be warning enough to stay clear.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 06 Dec 2013, 9:22 am

nganboy wrote:
Off course

We are always afraid the ABs might lose. Comes from winning so often. Those teams that aren't afraid to lose do it more often.
Not a good reason to turn down a challenge though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 06 Dec 2013, 9:49 am

I'm not worried about the match GG. We have extra Bledisloe games that haven't served us much. I'm worried about the number of matches. SA played 12 matches and NZ played 14 this year. Keep increasing the number of matches and you are likely to see an accumulation of strain that carries over to the next season. I'm not against this match per se, as it generates sponsorship money that keeps NZ players in NZ. But it's a difficult balance to make and I don't want our test players overexposed to rest rugby.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 06 Dec 2013, 8:48 pm

I'm happy for Ireland to play NZ. I just don't want it to be the 15th test for the year. I think 12 is enough.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 06 Dec 2013, 8:51 pm

nganboy wrote:I'm happy for Ireland to play NZ. I just don't want it to be the 15th test for the year. I think 12 is enough.
Likewise, it would be our 12th and we have more games in our domestic calendar. No to more tests.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 18 Dec 2013, 1:05 pm

I hate this idea. The IRFU don't need the money. The provinces need their players so I'd prefer if this didn't happen. Look at what happens to the Welsh sides in Autumn around their "fourth" test. If the provinces all flopped in the h cup due to this it would build up real animosity against the IRFU. I love to see Ireland playing NZ but not at the cost of provincial respect.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 18 Dec 2013, 1:08 pm

Intotouch wrote:I hate this idea. The IRFU don't need the money. The provinces need their players so I'd prefer if this didn't happen. Look at what happens to the Welsh sides in Autumn around their "fourth" test. If the provinces all flopped in the h cup due to this it would build up real animosity against the IRFU. I love to see Ireland playing NZ but not at the cost of provincial respect.

International rugby is and always will be more important. The provinces only serve to provide players for the Ireland team IMO everything else that comes with them is just a bonus.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2