The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th

+51
majesticimperialman
monty junior
quinsforever
Hound of Harrow
jimmyinthewell68
stub
maestegmafia
Heaf
Golden
glamorganalun
Biltong
TheMildlyFranticLlama
cakeordeath
alexgmacdonald
Captain_Sensible
Notch
Sgt_Pooly
MichaelT
Pat_Mustard
disneychilly
Nematode
blackcanelion
Sam
whocares
alive555
GunsGerms
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
Manky-Flanker
reallybored
R!skysports
JonnyEdinburgh
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
aucklandlaurie
highland_scot
EWT Spoons
EST
SecretFly
MacKnocked-on
funnyExiledScot
Majestic83
fa0019
Taylorman
emack2
BigGee
RDW
jimbopip
George Carlin
TJ
GLove39
55 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th Empty Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th

Post by GLove39 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 2:12 pm

Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th Scotla10       Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th Nz_pro11
Scotland v New Zealand

Date: Saturday, November 15
Venue: BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Kickoff: 17:30 local (GMT)
Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant Referees: Johnny Lacey (Ireland), Stuart Berry (South Africa)
TMO: Gareth Simmonds (Wales)

Right this isn't one of your GC fancy pants matchday threads, I'm in charge this time.

Had originally considered calling it the 'Kiwi Krushing Kelebration' thread, but realized that'd be an inappropriate acronym...

Now onto the game, normally you'd expect to read about form / head to head here, but for reasons which I'll go onto none of that really matters because this is the year that we will finally beat the All Blacks!

Now what makes me so sure you ask, well quite simply, I've a cast iron, 100% scientific theory that proves that next weekend we will at long last neutralize New Zealand.  

2003 England win the Rugby World Cup - 3 years later they lose at Murrayfield
2007 South Africa win the Rugby World Cup - 3 years later they lose at Murrayfield
2011 New Zealand win the Rugby World Cup - 3 years later...  Yahoo

Quite simply and to quote Tinie Tempah, it's "written in the stars".

Teams to be announced (not that it matters).

Scotland
Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th Singer-susan-boyle-006
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors); 25 caps
14 Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors); 14 caps
13 Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), 1 cap
12 Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors); 9 caps
11 Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors); 11 caps
10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors); 3 caps
9 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester); 32 caps

1 Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby); 37 caps
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby); 78 caps
3 Euan Murray (Glasgow Warriors); 61 caps
4 Richie Gray (Castres); 40 caps
5 Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors); 6 caps
6 Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors); 8 caps
7 Blair Cowan (London Irish); 4 caps
8 Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors); 2 caps

16 Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors); 1 cap
17 Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors); 4 caps
18 Geoff Cross (London Irish); 33 caps
19 Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors); 9 caps
20 Johnnie Beattie (Castres); 32 caps
21 Chris Cusiter (Sale Sharks); 68 caps
22 Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors); 16 caps
23 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors); 89 caps

New Zealand
Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th G8396_u16978_jackson2
15 Ben Smith
14 Colin Slade
13 Malakai Fekitoa
12 Ryan Crotty
11 Charle Piutau
10 Dan Carter
09 TJ Perenara

08 Victor Vito
07 Sam Cane
06 Richie McCaw
05 Dominic Bird
04 Jeremy Thrush
03 Charlie Faumuina
02 James Parsons
01 Joe Moody

16 Dane Coles
17 Wyatt Crockett
18 Ben Franks
19 Luke Romano
20 Liam Messam
21 Augustin Pulu
22 Sonny Bill Williams
23 Julian Savea.

Braveheart

Last edited by GLove39 on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th Empty Re: Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 2:15 pm

Mods - can we have a private Fraser smilie please? Just for the scots fans use of course

TJ

Back to top Go down

Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th Empty Re: Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th

Post by GLove39 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 2:35 pm

Mods - can we please have an special full time smilie like this made up for next week. Just for the kiwis.
Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th R189381_710115

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm

Best match thread and analysis ever. Laugh

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 09 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm

clap
George Carlin wrote:Best match thread and  analysis ever.  Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

Great job Glove!

As for the team, same a last week, but Cusiter, Swinson and Low on the bench - Hamilton and Strokosh are absolute lumbering dinosaurs in comparison to the ABs.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm

Cheers chaps, but we'll have to organize a whip round for GC, now he's been made redundant! thumbsup

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

His pictures are nicer to look at...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

Here's the latest attempt at the ABs coach trying to make out that this is going to be a tough game - he sounds almost genuine!

This is very much a losable game, so we have to keep our feet on the floor and prepare really well.

"Over the last few years Scotland have beaten South Africa and Australia and I think it was for that same reason, that they relaxed and let Scotland in the game.

"We know if you relax for long enough they will grow an extra arm and a leg and stay in the game."

Hansen noted Scotland's highly impressive 41-33 win over Argentina as evidence of the threat they pose.

"When you think about who the director of coaching here is, [Australian] Scott Johnson, he's into playing fifteen man rugby, as is [head coach] Vern [Cotter]. You have two guys who want to play an expansive game and they feel they have a squad that suits that.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Great job Glove!

As for the team, same a last week, but Cusiter, Swinson and Low on the bench - Hamilton and Strokosh are absolute lumbering dinosaurs in comparison to the ABs.

Missed out Dents and Ryan Grant! Agree about Cus and Swinson though. I am afraid I am not convinced about Geoff Cross either, an international prop really aught to be able to hold down a place at L. I hoped a move would drive him onwards as it has done for Laidlaw but it does not seem to have happened yet. I do accept though that he is currently the next best alternative we have, though that is not the best basis for gaining international caps!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Nov 2014, 9:39 pm

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Great job Glove!

Missed out Dents and Ryan Grant! Agree about Cus and Swinson though. I am afraid I am not convinced about Geoff Cross either, an international prop really aught to be able to hold down a place at L. I hoped a move would drive him onwards as it has done for Laidlaw but it does not seem to have happened yet. I do accept though that he is currently the next best alternative we have, though that is not the best basis for gaining international caps!

Good point on those two, and I'm sure they'd be chomping at the bit to play, but they've barely played all season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:24 pm

Congratulations Scotland on the win v an improving Argentina,Nz is another matter.
Not really firing at the moment Retalick injured,Conrad Smith doubtful [family problems;]

Dominic Bird added to squad hope the Ref in likely wet conditions insists on maintaining
the gap at lineout time.NOT say hurry up when the other side is deliberately closing the
Gap allowing jumping across before throwin.

With the Goal kicking problems currently start Colin Slade at 10 with Dan Carter on
the bench.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

GLove39 wrote:Cheers chaps, but we'll have to organize a whip round for GC, now he's been made redundant! thumbsup
Scotland V New Zealand - November 15th Hanghe10

Last edited by George Carlin on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 6:52 am; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:47 pm

Conrads out for this one, has to get home to sort something then is back for Wales. Considering it takes near 3 days of flying there and back thats some trip...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Nov 2014, 9:06 am

Scotsman this morning suggesting VC might shake up the backrow a bit, with Cowan mentioned as being at risk of being dropped. Don't see why, because

A) I thought Cowan played well - plenty work rate anyway

B) who would replace him? The thought of Fusaro going up against the the ABs backrow is frightening. Barclay yes, but he's not in the squad! Absolutely no way would I want Strokosh at 7 - he's really not suited to this game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 10 Nov 2014, 9:22 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Scotsman this morning suggesting VC might shake up the backrow a bit, with Cowan mentioned as being at risk of being dropped. Don't see why, because

B) who would replace him? The thought of Fusaro going up against the the ABs backrow is frightening.  Barclay yes, but he's not in the squad! Absolutely no way would I want Strokosh at 7 - he's really not suited to this game.

I read that as well and thought it was complete rubbish, what game was he watching, Cowan did play well as did the whole back row. I don't think there will be any changes for the starting back row or the team, they all played well enough to deserve another crack. The bench brought little impact and in fact caused our performance to drop off, that's where the changes need to be made.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:40 am

Good article from Tom English on the BBC

In the aftermath of Scotland's 41-31 victory over Argentina, head coach Vern Cotter galloped on to the Murrayfield pitch and embraced his players one by one, crying tears of joy as he faced the television cameras while declaring this to be one of the most exhilarating days of his life and one of the most significant in the history of Scottish rugby.

He announced that Scotland were now a world power and that everybody, All Blacks included, had better watch out.

Then he floated away, singing 'Another One Bites The Dust' as he went.

OK, fair enough. He did none of those things. In the range of public emotion he goes all the way from A to B. Stern Vern.

You could have a slideshow of Cotter headshots, from happy to sad, to angry to content and it would take a team of forensic scientists to tell the difference.
It's not that he is without sentiment, it's just that he places a protective wall around himself when talking about his team and nobody is getting through it. In his rugby world, he's less Freddie Mercury and more Bob Dylan - specifically that line from his song 'Up To Me': "In 14 months I've only smiled once and I didn't do it consciously".

Cotter is as far removed from Scott Johnson, his predecessor, as it is possible to be. Johnson was all one-liners and poor performances.

The New Zealander, on the other hand, lets his team do the talking for him. And for an hour against Argentina they were as fluent as a Scottish team has been against a high-level opponent in the past 15 years.

There were shades of Jim Telfer's Five Nations Championship winners of 1999. It's only one match, and they still have an awfully long way to go, but some of the ambition, execution and high-tempo stuff was redolent of the last time Scotland were a relevant force in northern hemisphere rugby.

Against Argentina, there were new partnerships in the midfield, at half-back, in the second row and the back row. Mark Bennett made his Test match debut. Finn Russell, Adam Ashe and Blair Cowan made their Murrayfield debuts. Jonny Gray had his first start at Murrayfield. The back row had a combined total of 11 caps.

The whole thing had a new air about it. A freshness.

There were moments that made you think that something different is on its way. Falling behind early (nothing new) only to bounce back immediately (something very new).

The patience and accuracy in the build-up to Richie Gray's score was not typical of Scotland teams. The fact that it was a second-row on the end of the move with a loose-head prop outside him on the wing calling for a pass was evidence of Cotter's mantra of dynamism in attack.

It's fair to say that Argentina played poorly, but this is a good Argentina side none the less, a side that had, in their previous Test, come from 14-0 behind to beat the Wallabies.

In the white heat of the Rugby Championship, they lost to South Africa, the second best team in the world, by two points and seven points. They came to Murrayfield with 10 of the side that downed Australia. They were, perhaps, three players short of full strength, but were deemed by many as favourites - and rightly so.

And yet, for the critical hour, they were blown away.

What was striking about Scotland was their desire to play, their determination to get on the ball and make things happen. Too often, Scotland have been passive.

A new team with no baggage, they demonstrated a speed of thought and a coolness in the opposition 22 that Argentina could not live with, whether it was the composure that brought Jonny Gray his try or the cleverness and ruthlessness of Greig Laidlaw creating the third score for Sean Maitland.
What a joy it was to see Laidlaw controlling and sniping. This was the captain at his best. His rugby intelligence was writ large over this Test.

And there was an element of role-reversal that made you smile. The Pumas came out with intent at the start of the second half. They began putting the phases together, working it left and right but going nowhere. In the 45th minute they were still at it. They were on phase 14 at that point.

Things broke down. Two minutes later, Laidlaw sliced them open at the side of a ruck and sent Stuart Hogg away in the corner.

It was the kind of kick to the solar plexus that the Scotland fans know all about. Normally, it is Scotland doing the grunt and their opponent applying the sucker-punch.

Of course, there were problems in that last quarter, including two yellow cards and 21 points conceded when Scotland were down to 14 men.

Rob Harley's yellow looked soft, the opposite of the man himself who, in the nicest sense, is an almighty pest of a rugby player, a destructive force who had a profound impact on the game until he exited.

Jim Hamilton's yellow was deserved and daft at the same time. His inability to control himself at the breakdown turned a landslide win into something that looked less convincing. A 10-point margin did Scotland no justice.

There will surely be few, if any, changes for New Zealand next week.
Bennett had little opportunity to attack but he was in the team on merit and deserves to stay. The other Murrayfield new boys ranged from solid to spectacular.

Russell revelled in it and it was a pulse-quickening moment to see a 22-year-old Scottish fly-half take to the battle with such confidence. Ashe and Jonny Gray were similarly impressive. Cowan was an effective open-side.

In his deadpan way, Cotter was pleased with what he saw, but was mindful of what's coming. The feelgood from Saturday could quickly turn into a horror show when the All Blacks bring their brand of rugby sadism to Murrayfield.
Survival is the main objective. Scottish teams in the recent past have failed to get to half-time in a semi-competitive state against New Zealand, never mind full-time.

There are reasons to believe that Cotter is on to something, but not reasons to be hysterical.

If, by full-time next Saturday, pride is intact then it's job done. They can move onwards to Tonga in Kilmarnock and, later, to the Six Nations not with the usual blind faith but with genuine hope that this young team is capable of putting Scotland back on the rugby map.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 11:00 am

I'd love us to get to a situation where the SH teams take us seriously again. Not put their 2nd XV out against us and perhaps us get a cheeky win gale assisted now and again.
I'd rather we play our best, they play their best and see our players genuinely tested against the world's best.

That would put us in a better position for the 6N and the RWC. I always thought the gale enforced wins vs. the SH were great but in truth did very little bar raise the expectations for the team a little too high.

Great to see a Scotland team with the ball in hand, not drop their heads (the biggest issue for me for Scottish players) and a real confidence to play the circumstance not run through a computer generated roll play irrespective of the opposition.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 11:08 am

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Scotsman this morning suggesting VC might shake up the backrow a bit, with Cowan mentioned as being at risk of being dropped. Don't see why, because

B) who would replace him? The thought of Fusaro going up against the the ABs backrow is frightening.  Barclay yes, but he's not in the squad! Absolutely no way would I want Strokosh at 7 - he's really not suited to this game.

I read that as well and thought it was complete rubbish, what game was he watching, Cowan did play well as did the whole back row. I don't think there will be any changes for the starting back row or the team, they all played well enough to deserve another crack. The bench brought little impact and in fact caused our performance to drop off, that's where the changes need to be made.

Agreed, thought Cowan had a good game and did what a 7 needs to do and be a total menace. He didn't do anything flashy but really got stuck in. Morrison is a very poor rugby writer especially for someone having played international rugby. He describes Cowan as being slender for an international! 6ft2 and just over 17st isn't slender for an openside!

I would stick with the same starting xv but would make changes to the bench. Thought Strokosh was very poor as was Scott Lawson. Hamilton was on for 4 mins and was well off the pace even for that short time!
I'd swap Swinson for Hamilton, Denton for Strokosh, Cusiter for Pyrgos and hopefully get some better impact from them.
Would prefer to see another hooker instead of Scott Lawson but doubt as if they would chuck Fraser Brown in against the All Blacks!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Nov 2014, 11:46 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Good article from Tom English on the BBC

In the aftermath of Scotland's 41-31 victory over Argentina, head coach Vern Cotter galloped on to the Murrayfield pitch and embraced his players one by one, crying tears of joy as he faced the television cameras while declaring this to be one of the most exhilarating days of his life and one of the most significant in the history of Scottish rugby.

He announced that Scotland were now a world power and that everybody, All Blacks included, had better watch out.

Then he floated away, singing 'Another One Bites The Dust' as he went.

OK, fair enough. He did none of those things. In the range of public emotion he goes all the way from A to B. Stern Vern.

You could have a slideshow of Cotter headshots, from happy to sad, to angry to content and it would take a team of forensic scientists to tell the difference.
It's not that he is without sentiment, it's just that he places a protective wall around himself when talking about his team and nobody is getting through it. In his rugby world, he's less Freddie Mercury and more Bob Dylan - specifically that line from his song 'Up To Me': "In 14 months I've only smiled once and I didn't do it consciously".

Cotter is as far removed from Scott Johnson, his predecessor, as it is possible to be. Johnson was all one-liners and poor performances.

The New Zealander, on the other hand, lets his team do the talking for him. And for an hour against Argentina they were as fluent as a Scottish team has been against a high-level opponent in the past 15 years.

There were shades of Jim Telfer's Five Nations Championship winners of 1999. It's only one match, and they still have an awfully long way to go, but some of the ambition, execution and high-tempo stuff was redolent of the last time Scotland were a relevant force in northern hemisphere rugby.

Against Argentina, there were new partnerships in the midfield, at half-back, in the second row and the back row. Mark Bennett made his Test match debut. Finn Russell, Adam Ashe and Blair Cowan made their Murrayfield debuts. Jonny Gray had his first start at Murrayfield. The back row had a combined total of 11 caps.

The whole thing had a new air about it. A freshness.

There were moments that made you think that something different is on its way. Falling behind early (nothing new) only to bounce back immediately (something very new).

The patience and accuracy in the build-up to Richie Gray's score was not typical of Scotland teams. The fact that it was a second-row on the end of the move with a loose-head prop outside him on the wing calling for a pass was evidence of Cotter's mantra of dynamism in attack.

It's fair to say that Argentina played poorly, but this is a good Argentina side none the less, a side that had, in their previous Test, come from 14-0 behind to beat the Wallabies.

In the white heat of the Rugby Championship, they lost to South Africa, the second best team in the world, by two points and seven points. They came to Murrayfield with 10 of the side that downed Australia. They were, perhaps, three players short of full strength, but were deemed by many as favourites - and rightly so.

And yet, for the critical hour, they were blown away.

What was striking about Scotland was their desire to play, their determination to get on the ball and make things happen. Too often, Scotland have been passive.

A new team with no baggage, they demonstrated a speed of thought and a coolness in the opposition 22 that Argentina could not live with, whether it was the composure that brought Jonny Gray his try or the cleverness and ruthlessness of Greig Laidlaw creating the third score for Sean Maitland.
What a joy it was to see Laidlaw controlling and sniping. This was the captain at his best. His rugby intelligence was writ large over this Test.

And there was an element of role-reversal that made you smile. The Pumas came out with intent at the start of the second half. They began putting the phases together, working it left and right but going nowhere. In the 45th minute they were still at it. They were on phase 14 at that point.

Things broke down. Two minutes later, Laidlaw sliced them open at the side of a ruck and sent Stuart Hogg away in the corner.

It was the kind of kick to the solar plexus that the Scotland fans know all about. Normally, it is Scotland doing the grunt and their opponent applying the sucker-punch.

Of course, there were problems in that last quarter, including two yellow cards and 21 points conceded when Scotland were down to 14 men.

Rob Harley's yellow looked soft, the opposite of the man himself who, in the nicest sense, is an almighty pest of a rugby player, a destructive force who had a profound impact on the game until he exited.

Jim Hamilton's yellow was deserved and daft at the same time. His inability to control himself at the breakdown turned a landslide win into something that looked less convincing. A 10-point margin did Scotland no justice.

There will surely be few, if any, changes for New Zealand next week.
Bennett had little opportunity to attack but he was in the team on merit and deserves to stay. The other Murrayfield new boys ranged from solid to spectacular.

Russell revelled in it and it was a pulse-quickening moment to see a 22-year-old Scottish fly-half take to the battle with such confidence. Ashe and Jonny Gray were similarly impressive. Cowan was an effective open-side.

In his deadpan way, Cotter was pleased with what he saw, but was mindful of what's coming. The feelgood from Saturday could quickly turn into a horror show when the All Blacks bring their brand of rugby sadism to Murrayfield.
Survival is the main objective. Scottish teams in the recent past have failed to get to half-time in a semi-competitive state against New Zealand, never mind full-time.

There are reasons to believe that Cotter is on to something, but not reasons to be hysterical.

If, by full-time next Saturday, pride is intact then it's job done. They can move onwards to Tonga in Kilmarnock and, later, to the Six Nations not with the usual blind faith but with genuine hope that this young team is capable of putting Scotland back on the rugby map.
I am genuinely happy for the team and it's right to enjoy the victory but it's this sort of hyperbole that makes me sigh gently.

This is for a number of reasons. Think how much further on we would be by now if SJ had just chosen specialists in their positions and picked on form. Commentators have banged on ad nauseum about how having a Glasgow core have given the team cohension. But Glasgow didn't suddenly become good overnight. They were pretty good last season as well and the same collective could have had another 5 or 6 games together by now. Just goes to prove (if ever it was needed) that whilst the players didn't mind Scott Johnson (probably quite liked him), they weren't energised by playing for him and obviously were constrained tactically in a way that was not effective.

I also want performances like the Argentina one to not be a big deal. We really want to shoot for what Ireland and England are doing right now. We need to give these young men time together and tell them that whatever the score, they will be a better team at the end.

Just ignore me. I'm having a bad day. There's just nothing sadder than wasted time.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

It is what it is now and there really is no point looking backwards. SJ clearly was not the man to get rid of some of the players whose only experience of playing in a Scotland shirt was in losing. Unfortunately that is why decent players like Brown and Barclay are now struggling to get into the squad, they have been tainted by that stigma unfortunately. VC however clearly is that man and everyone in the squad now knows what is expected of them. There are now standards to live up to and maintain.

There is also the question of timing. Were Russell, Bennett, Ashe and Gray J really ready to play international rugby last year, probably not and it may well prove to be a blessing for them that they have been held back and that they can now develop in that very harsh arena on their own terms.

There is undoubtedly a feel of a new era here. Beware of false dawns and all that, but I am definitely excited but by the same token I am not going to judge it on the result of the game against NZ this week. That is going to be a very step learning curve and will most likely be a bridge to far. I will be happy with some kind of performance but I do hope that the players go out there expecting to win!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

George Carlin wrote:
I am genuinely happy for the team and it's right to enjoy the victory but it's this sort of hyperbole that makes me sigh gently.

This is for a number of reasons. Think how much further on we would be by now if SJ had just chosen specialists in their positions and picked on form. Commentators have banged on ad nauseum about how having a Glasgow core have given the team cohension. But Glasgow didn't suddenly become good overnight. They were pretty good last season as well and the same collective could have had another 5 or 6 games together by now. Just goes to prove (if ever it was needed) that whilst the players didn't mind Scott Johnson (probably quite liked him), they weren't energised by playing for him and obviously were constrained tactically in a way that was not effective.

I also want performances like the Argentina one to not be a big deal. We really want to shoot for what Ireland and England are doing right now. We need to give these young men time together and tell them that whatever the score, they will be a better team at the end.

Just ignore me. I'm having a bad day. There's just nothing sadder than wasted time.

To be fair to Tom English (who I think is a very good journalist) I don't think he's getting carried away or over the top in that article. Indeed, he says a few times that this is just the beginning, and there's a long way to go.

No one in their right mind will think this is a corner turned already. We've had many, many MANY false dawns over the years, but if this one proves to be yet another one then I just think we have to accept that this is the place we will always be - we've never had such a good group of players.

I don't think we should be too doom and gloom though - I think this was our best performance in years (particularly at Murrayfield), and the people at the forefront of it were all young and exciting!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Nov 2014, 1:52 pm

Don't get me wrong.

1. I like Vern. It's impossible not to like a man whose face moves as little as Vern's. I would not like to play poker against him or tell him that I was planning to keep his daughter out late on a school night.

2. If he genuinely has just told the players to play what's in front of them, then he's already the best coach we've had in 10 years.

3. If he's willing to start a very young side because they're good, then he's already the best selector we've had in 5 years.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 10 Nov 2014, 2:10 pm

George Carlin wrote:Don't get me wrong.

1. I like Vern. It's impossible not to like a man whose face moves as little as Vern's. I would not like to play poker against him or tell him that I was planning to keep his daughter out late on a school night.

2. If he genuinely has just told the players to play what's in front of them, then he's already the best coach we've had in 10 years.

3. If he's willing to start a very young side because they're good, then he's already the best selector we've had in 5 years.

The good thing is that he now has the players that he can say that to as well as pick. If we are honest, not all previous Scotland coaches had that luxury, albeit that most of them did not make the most of what they did have.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Nov 2014, 2:48 pm

Jonny and Maitland have made the planet rugby team of the weekend - not sure about Maitland, but Jonny's was well deserved.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Nov 2014, 3:11 pm

Same starting XV for me (I'd have liked Ali Hogg at 8 instead of Ashe and Barclay instead of Cowan but both of those ships have sailed).

I'd swap in Grant and Brown (Fraser) on the bench for Reid and Lawson, and I'd send Hamilton back to Sarries so he can collect yellow cards there instead and put Swinson on the bench. I'd consider swapping Weir for Heathcote but I don't feel too strongly. Short of injury I'd play Russell for 80 minutes.

It's an extremely dangerous place to be, having expectations as a Scotland fan!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Nov 2014, 3:19 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Good thing we've got the ABs up next then....!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Need I remind you of the original posting..!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

I've just read that piece by Morrison in the Scotsman about the team and Cowan in particular; saying he's not big enough etc and that he couldn't remember a single turnover he won during the game etc etc. Cowan is a good deal bigger than a lot of 7s and amongst being a general nuisance and working very hard he had one particularly good turnover in the Argentina 22 when he leaned in and stripped out the ball setting us up in an excellent attacking position. Sounds like Morrison just doesn't want to write anything good about the guy for whatever reason.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Well a win is pretty much out of the question, but at least on Saturday we showed some suggestion of actually knowing what to do with a rugby ball, rather than aimlessly hoofing it away. We also put in some decent hits in defence and in the 60 minutes I saw looked like a rugby team who had been properly coached, rather than aimlessly assembled by a blind buffoon.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:09 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:I've just read that piece by Morrison in the Scotsman about the team and Cowan in particular; saying he's not big enough etc and that he couldn't remember a single turnover he won during the game etc etc. Cowan is a good deal bigger than a lot of 7s and amongst being a general nuisance and working very hard he had one particularly good turnover in the Argentina 22 when he leaned in and stripped out the ball setting us up in an excellent attacking position. Sounds like Morrison just doesn't want to write anything good about the guy for whatever reason.

It does seem like there's an agenda in play. If you were to pick on anyone for a negative contribution on Saturday it would surely be Jim Hamilton. You could also write about Scott Johnson, because the improvement under Cotter has been almost instant.

I thought Cowan was doing ok, and had a pretty busy afternoon. I don't think Strokosch made much impact at 7, and of the three I'd suggest that Ashe was the one I'd have substituted. Not that Ashe was bad, but he just looks green and a little underpowered. Hey ho, Kieran Read up next.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

If we're going for credit where credit is due, probably worth mentioning jonathan Humphries (our forwards coach) - our pack put in a very good performance so he probably deserves some credit!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:17 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:I've just read that piece by Morrison in the Scotsman about the team and Cowan in particular; saying he's not big enough etc and that he couldn't remember a single turnover he won during the game etc etc. Cowan is a good deal bigger than a lot of 7s and amongst being a general nuisance and working very hard he had one particularly good turnover in the Argentina 22 when he leaned in and stripped out the ball setting us up in an excellent attacking position. Sounds like Morrison just doesn't want to write anything good about the guy for whatever reason.

It does seem like there's an agenda in play. If you were to pick on anyone for a negative contribution on Saturday it would surely be Jim Hamilton. You could also write about Scott Johnson, because the improvement under Cotter has been almost instant.

I thought Cowan was doing ok, and had a pretty busy afternoon. I don't think Strokosch made much impact at 7, and of the three I'd suggest that Ashe was the one I'd have substituted. Not that Ashe was bad, but he just looks green and a little underpowered. Hey ho, Kieran Read up next.

Yes, you might suspect from the piece that Morrison has an agenda, perhaps he doesn't like 'Kilted Kiwis' or players that Scott Johnson has brought in to the squad? Unfortunately this newspaper and it's sister Scotland on Sunday have let their standards slip a lot in recent times, eg, one of their golf columnists never tires of having a dig at Colin Montgomerie no matter how irrelevant to the story he may be. I would excuse Alan Massie from the general complaint, he's generally very reasoned in his writing.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

"2003 England win the Rugby World Cup - 3 years later they lose at Murrayfield
2007 South Africa win the Rugby World Cup - 3 years later they lose at Murrayfield
2011 New Zealand win the Rugby World Cup - 3 years later...  "

Sounds promising...

I hope you beat us in Murrayfield in 2018.................
But I think the game is in Dublin.............................
So that means we didn't win the 2015 WC...............
Damn it!
Sack Schmidt now.  Why waste time hoping against proof that it ain't worth it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 10 Nov 2014, 5:01 pm

Well, there was a lot of good in the Argie performance, but enough mistakes to keep our feet on the floor.

I thought the Argies played very poorly, which surprised me. In particular their backrow looked under powered. This will undoubtedly not be the case against the AB's and because of this I would look to change things around a little. In an ideal world I would like to see Hogg (Ally) and Barclay start with Harley staying at six. This is not to say that Ashe and Cowan didn't play well, but the current set up puts a huge amount of emphasis on Ashe making hard yards; against Kaino, McCaw and Read I think this might be a bridge too far just now.

Behind the scrum, I would stick with what we had on Saturday. I thought Russell was superb - I honestly can't remember a Scottish 10 who controlled a game with such confidence. When Matt Scott (12) finally returns from injury we will have a genuinely exciting and dangerous group of midfielders to choose from.

All i'm hoping for on the weekend is a continuation of the style exhibited on the weekend. If we play well, score a couple of tries and keep it as close as possible this can be a huge shot in the arm for this young team.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 10 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

EST wrote:Well, there was a lot of good in the Argie performance, but enough mistakes to keep our feet on the floor.

I thought the Argies played very poorly, which surprised me.  In particular their backrow looked under powered.  This will undoubtedly not be the case against the AB's and because of this I would look to change things around a little. In an ideal world I would like to see Hogg (Ally) and Barclay start with Harley staying at six.  This is not to say that Ashe and Cowan didn't play well, but the current set up puts a huge amount of emphasis on Ashe making hard yards; against Kaino, McCaw and Read I think this might be a bridge too far just now.

Behind the scrum, I would stick with what we had on Saturday. I thought Russell was superb - I honestly can't remember a Scottish 10 who controlled a game with such confidence.  When Matt Scott (12) finally returns from injury we will have a genuinely exciting and dangerous group of midfielders to choose from.

All i'm hoping for on the weekend is a continuation of the style exhibited on the weekend.  If we play well, score a couple of tries and keep it as close as possible this can be a huge shot in the arm for this young team.

He thinks about 3 weeks time

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 10 Nov 2014, 5:23 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
EST wrote:Well, there was a lot of good in the Argie performance, but enough mistakes to keep our feet on the floor.

I thought the Argies played very poorly, which surprised me.  In particular their backrow looked under powered.  This will undoubtedly not be the case against the AB's and because of this I would look to change things around a little. In an ideal world I would like to see Hogg (Ally) and Barclay start with Harley staying at six.  This is not to say that Ashe and Cowan didn't play well, but the current set up puts a huge amount of emphasis on Ashe making hard yards; against Kaino, McCaw and Read I think this might be a bridge too far just now.

Behind the scrum, I would stick with what we had on Saturday. I thought Russell was superb - I honestly can't remember a Scottish 10 who controlled a game with such confidence.  When Matt Scott (12) finally returns from injury we will have a genuinely exciting and dangerous group of midfielders to choose from.

All i'm hoping for on the weekend is a continuation of the style exhibited on the weekend.  If we play well, score a couple of tries and keep it as close as possible this can be a huge shot in the arm for this young team.

He thinks about 3 weeks time

That's good to hear, Spoons:

Cus/Laidlaw
Russell
Maitland
Scott
Dunbar
Seymour
Hogg

Now that's a back line that I would hope could cause most teams problems.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Mon 10 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

I think Scott and Bennett would be a good centre combination running elusive lines with Scott also able to bosh, although Dunbar's defence and jackalling is fantastic. Not sure if we could really have one of Scott and Dunbar as a bench option unless Laidlaw covers 9/10 from the bench then we have someone else for back 3. Though I guess you could have a bit more flexibility by moving players on the pitch for subs - don't really like doing that though.

For this weekend I'd keep the starting 15, maybe a few changes on the bench for impact. Bring in Denton/Beattie (a good back row carrier anyway) and Swinson, maybe Heathcote too?

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:39 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:If we're going for credit where credit is due, probably worth mentioning jonathan Humphries (our forwards coach) - our pack put in a very good performance so he probably deserves some credit!

Yes, but he's Welsh. They are plenty good enough at giving themselves credit without our help!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:51 pm

Hello, my name is Jonathan Humpries me. And I'm proud to say I'm Scottish Forwards Coach...and may I add, even prouder to say I'm Welsh me!
But don't quote me on that last bit, just wanted you to know it for reference like. You can say I'm Welsh if you want and I wouldn't mind at all you adding it...but don't say I wanted it added, which of course I didn't...unless it was helpful for letting people know where I'm from, which is Wales.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:20 am

Looks like the Irish win over the boks with Schmidt, the scot win over Argie under Cotter is starting to make people nervous back here.
Expect a very solid looking back line with perhaps savea, piatau, fekitoa, sbw or crotty and carter back at 10.
Touch over nervousness to see which of Scotland or Ireland will be the first to knock us off. Interesting times.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:41 am

Most dedfinitely nervous, not only have Scotland now got a coach that knows how to coach, but he will have them building on last weeks performance, I must state that I didnt see all of the Argentina game, but Scotland did it easy.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:09 am

Taylorman wrote:Looks like the Irish win over the boks with Schmidt, the scot win over Argie under Cotter is starting to make people nervous back here.
Expect a very solid looking back line with perhaps savea, piatau, fekitoa, sbw or crotty and carter back at 10.
Touch over nervousness to see which of Scotland or Ireland will be the first to knock us off. Interesting times.
That's very respectful of you Taylor but I don't think that the Kiwi press is adopting the same approach:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/scotland-rugby-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501227&objectid=11355692
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 11 Nov 2014, 8:23 am

NOt sure why the Kiwis are worried, I genuinely think I won't see Scotland beat the ABs in my lifetime, other than if they sent over a 3rd string team and it was a snow storm!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:22 am

By the same token, surely it cannot be beyond the wit of journalists to be respectful of weaker teams. There are 102 teams in the IRB world rankings. Scotland are 8th.

I would like it very much if certain sections of the Kiwi press would hide their boredom at those irksome times where the mighty Blackness are required to condescend to play anyone who are not ranked in the top 5. I mean, sorry for the inconvenience and all that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Tue 11 Nov 2014, 9:44 am

This should act as very good motivational material for our boys.
I watched the highlights of the England v NZ game last night, and neither side struck me as being particularly awe inspiring. Admittedly conditions weren't great in the second half, but it wasn't really a high quality game.
A couple of scrawpy tries for the kiwis (I wonder if either Scotland or Ireland had 'scored' in the same way against the AB's or England, if they would actually have been given???) one looked like it was dragged forward but still short, and the other didn't appear to have any real evidence that it had actually crossed the line or was even touched down!! Plus a load of lazy not quite getting out of the way or getting on side quickly by the AB's just reeked of arrogance. McCaw in particular blatantly went in from the side when England were threatening their line.
I just hope whoever refs them on Saturday and in future matches has the strength of character and Cahoonas big enough to sin-bin some of these 'untouchable' gods when they continue their regime of blatantly cheating when they are under pressure.
I'd love to see McCaw getting binned for his calculated penalty give-aways. Great player and leader. Blatant cheat.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 11 Nov 2014, 10:29 am

I'm nailing my colours to the mast here!

Scotland will beat NZ at some point over the next 15 years!

Tis a long period of time, and food poisoning can occur at any time!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Tue 11 Nov 2014, 10:34 am

George Carlin wrote:By the same token, surely it cannot be beyond the wit of journalists to be respectful of weaker teams. There are 102 teams in the IRB world rankings. Scotland are 8th.

I would like it very much if certain sections of the Kiwi press would hide their boredom at those irksome times where the mighty Blackness are required to condescend to play anyone who are not ranked in the top 5. I mean, sorry for the inconvenience and all that.

Absolutely, 100% perfect comment.  Time for a rant.
That same attitude is nurtured in this country as well though, and that is what hacks me off the most.  We need to get over this "little Scotland" way of thinking, worshipping the mention of the All Blacks.  Even on this forum we have plenty of "no chance" comments and the like, oh no we couldn't possibly in a billion years get close to these rugby gods.  Lets all offer to clean their boots and oil up their beautiful Thor-like abs.
What a load of cack!!!!  

In the last 15 years we have beaten every other top nation in the world at some point or another....Australia check....SA check......Argentina check.....England check.....Ireland check.....France check....Wales check.  And I would argue that most, if not all of those victories were pulled off with some combination of worse players, shoddy coaches, and less confidence than the squad we have today.
Glasgow are on fire right now in both Pro 12 and the HC - the same level that the best of England, Wales, Ireland and France measure themselves.  The smattering of Embra players and those playing outwith Scotland are in good form at the top domestic level too.  Our new coach seems to want to let them off the leash to play to their strengths.  Our backs can actually score some tries now too.  I reckon Hadden, Williams and Robinson would have given their right nut to have a finisher like Visser in the team - and he (rightly) can't get near the current teamsheet!

Especially given NZ may even rest players here, this is our best chance to get that first win for as long as I can remember.  The game is 15 against 15, all 30 off the people on the pitch will be human beings, and professional rugby players.  Saying we just hope to keep it respectable is defeatist before we have started.  Granted we are underdogs but the guys should be aiming for a win here, any defeat should be mourned as it would be against any other top nation.  As far as I'm concerned they can stick the hero worship where the sun don't shine, and I hope our players feel the same on Saturday. Scotland by 5.

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 11 Nov 2014, 10:45 am

JonnyEdinburgh wrote:
George Carlin wrote:By the same token, surely it cannot be beyond the wit of journalists to be respectful of weaker teams. There are 102 teams in the IRB world rankings. Scotland are 8th.

Absolutely, 100% perfect comment.  Time for a rant.
That same attitude is nurtured in this country as well though, and that is what hacks me off the most.  We need to get over this "little Scotland" way of thinking, worshipping the mention of the All Blacks.  Even on this forum we have plenty of "no chance" comments and the like, oh no we couldn't possibly in a billion years get close to these rugby gods.  Lets all offer to clean their boots and oil up their beautiful Thor-like abs.
What a load of cack!!!!  

In the last 15 years we have beaten every other top nation in the world at some point or another....Australia check....SA check......Argentina check.....England check.....Ireland check.....France check....Wales check.  And I would argue that most, if not all of those victories were pulled off with some combination of worse players, shoddy coaches, and less confidence than the squad we have today.
Glasgow are on fire right now in both Pro 12 and the HC - the same level that the best of England, Wales, Ireland and France measure themselves.  The smattering of Embra players and those playing outwith Scotland are in good form at the top domestic level too.  Our new coach seems to want to let them off the leash to play to their strengths.  Our backs can actually score some tries now too.  I reckon Hadden, Williams and Robinson would have given their right nut to have a finisher like Visser in the team - and he (rightly) can't get near the current teamsheet!

Especially given NZ may even rest players here, this is our best chance to get that first win for as long as I can remember.  The game is 15 against 15, all 30 off the people on the pitch will be human beings, and professional rugby players.  Saying we just hope to keep it respectable is defeatist before we have started.  Granted we are underdogs but the guys should be aiming for a win here, any defeat should be mourned as it would be against any other top nation.  As far as I'm concerned they can stick the hero worship where the sun don't shine, and I hope our players feel the same on Saturday.  Scotland by 5.

Well said Yahoo

We should be going into every game looking to win. Look at France a the last world cup - terrible throughout the competition but made it to the final - and should have won that on the day

If a French team that is imploding all over the pitch, who is managed by very mad coaches and have no confidence at all can do that - then why the heck can Scotland who are full o confidence, playing well and playing a game that when it comes off is very difficult to defend against not go into the match with confidence.

My prediction was to win and I stand by that - it will be the toughest of challenges, but time to play at the big boy table - we deserve to be there by our actions (Maybe not our recent past actions, but our recent future actions)

GO SCOTLAND Hug

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 11 Nov 2014, 10:58 am

Would like to see Grant, Beattie, Cusiter and possibly Visser on the bench for the ABs to give us a bit more quality off the bench.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next