The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

+11
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
superflyweight
ShahenshahG
Mind the windows Tino.
JuliusHMarx
Rowley
rIck_dAgless
seanmichaels
Galted
Adam D
15 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 12 Empty The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by Adam D Thu 27 Feb 2014, 8:23 am

First topic message reminder :

As the old thread is reaching its max again, I thought I would set up a whole new 20 spare pages for you all to talk about things neither cultural or Cup based.

Not that it makes a difference.

All anthropod, cortex and mild stereotyping of northerners welcome in here.

Just don't ask about the 2014 cup competition though.

Last edited by Adam D on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 12 Empty Re: The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 11:48 am

Rowley wrote:What is happening in the crazy world of insects

It make me happy if I thought you were sincere in that question, Jeff.

As it is, I shall remain miserable.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 12 Empty Re: The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 11:53 am

These are those big barstewards i was talking about. Non venomous but the bite hurts:

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/6005026

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 11:54 am

seanmichaels wrote:These are those big barstewards i was talking about. Non venomous but the bite hurts:

Nice find, Seany.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 04 Mar 2014, 11:58 am

Couple of Aussie spider related stories/facts that will get Tina's juices flowing:

I believe the venom of funnel web spiders on Fraser Island is 8 times more deadly than the Sydney funnel web. I was less worried about them than the bloddy massive cane toads that hung about the shower blocks at one the of the camp sites and just stared at you as you showered. It was like going to the gym with Truss.

I worked as a ride operator for a couple of months at Sydney's Wonderland (a complete misnomer) way out in the Western Suburbs. One of the first jobs we had to do every morning was a spider check on the ride you were operating that day. Generally used to find a couple of redbacks and the odd hunstman. Once found, we had to clear them away and were instructed in the ultra hi-tec method of flicking the spider away with a clipboard. All things equal, it was the best job I ever had.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 11:58 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:These are those big barstewards i was talking about. Non venomous but the bite hurts:

Nice find, Seany.

I vividly remember the yellow rings around their joints. Horrible things.

Tiger sharks patrol the shores as well.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:01 pm

superflyweight wrote:
I believe the venom of funnel web spiders on Fraser Island is 8 times more deadly than the Sydney funnel web.  I was less worried about them than the bloddy massive cane toads that hung about the shower blocks at one the of the camp sites and just stared at you as you showered.  It was like going to the gym with Truss.  

Did you see the monitor lizards?

I have a great shot of us around a camp fire on the beach (chose not to do the campsites. Stars were beautiful.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:14 pm

superflyweight wrote:Couple of Aussie spider related stories/facts that will get Tina's juices flowing:

I believe the venom of funnel web spiders on Fraser Island is 8 times more deadly than the Sydney funnel web.  I was less worried about them than the bloddy massive cane toads that hung about the shower blocks at one the of the camp sites and just stared at you as you showered.  It was like going to the gym with Truss.  

You showered on Fraser??

We were only on the island for 3 days/2 nights and I we all shower-dodged. Staying on the beach the first night and the second at a 'campsite' of sorts where we just had a bit of a wash, no more.

Got lucky though, car (jeep) of 8 people and only 2 of us could drive so didn't have to share the fun around too much Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

superflyweight wrote:

True story c. 1981.

One sunny Saturday morning I was out in the back yard with Dad... he was tinkering around with a broom near the pool. Next thing we hear in this horrified voice: "Andre... Andre!!!" (Dad's name) We stick our head over the fence and there is dear old Kath (related to Rick McCosker who got his jaw broken in the Centenary Test) with this massive female funnel web (less venomous) on the tip of one of her gloves. Heavy material they were but the fangs went right through. My Dad then says "Don't worry Kat..." (he had a thick Hungarian accent) grabbed a glass jar and got the thing in it. It was rearing up and very angry looking... the spider, not Dad. I can still hear all the words clearly as if it were yesterday.

At that point I ran inside and grabbed my copy of Australia's Venomous Wildlife... foreword by Eric Worrell*. It had this big picture of an angry looking funnel web on the inside cover and all the details in the main text. So I proudly went up to Kath, stuck the book in front of her face and said "this is what bit you, Mrs McCosker!.... it says you only have two hours, at most.... to live. She just went "Ooooooh......."

Anyway, to cut a long story short. She survived. Ambulance to RNSH to get the antidote (which had only been developed that year). She always said afterwards that it was the funniest thing to do really... but it sort of made her fight on a bit.

* Poor Eric eventually succumbed to the 128th snake bite while at work in his reptile park at Gosford. The bloke's blood was said to be lethal!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Nasty. Bull sharks are supposed to be the most aggressive though. Some experts think they are responsible for a lot of attacks that get blamed on Great whites.

Bull sharks can regulate the salt in their bodies and have been found 1000 of kilomotres up fresh water rivers. Amazing.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:37 pm

Tino wrote:Bull sharks can regulate the salt in their bodies and have been found 1000 of kilomotres up fresh water rivers. Amazing.

I saw a documentary once whereby Sharks got picked up by a tornado and attacked a city

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Nasty.  Bull sharks are supposed to be the most aggressive though.  Some experts think they are responsible for a lot of attacks that get blamed on Great whites.

Bull sharks can regulate the salt in their bodies and have been found 1000 of kilomotres up fresh water rivers.  Amazing.

Come on, Tino, I know that you get quite excited about fauna but don't let your excitement cloud your judgement as to what is and what isn't acceptable in a post.

And what the hell is "some experts" supposed to mean?  Is that something that was suggested by a C-rate actor narrating a pseudo-documentary.

Thanks for the continued wildlife-related information, though, thanks a lot.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Tino wrote:Bull sharks can regulate the salt in their bodies and have been found 1000 of kilomotres up fresh water rivers. Amazing.

I saw a documentary once whereby Sharks got picked up by a tornado and attacked a city

That's more like it, if only Tino would follow your example of fact-based posting.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm

Galted wrote:That's more like it, if only Tino would follow your example of fact-based posting.

I can provide links as well...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:43 pm

Galted wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Nasty.  Bull sharks are supposed to be the most aggressive though.  Some experts think they are responsible for a lot of attacks that get blamed on Great whites.

Bull sharks can regulate the salt in their bodies and have been found 1000 of kilomotres up fresh water rivers.  Amazing.

Come on, Tino, I know that you get quite excited about fauna but don't let your excitement cloud your judgement as to what is and what isn't acceptable in a post.

And what the hell is "some experts" supposed to mean?  Is that something that was suggested by a C-rate actor narrating a pseudo-documentary.

Thanks for the continued wildlife-related information, though, thanks a lot.

Bull Sharks swimming in the streets of Brisbane: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350353/Australia-floods-6ft-bull-shark-spotted-swimming-McDonalds.html

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:44 pm

The bull sharks come right up the Harbour... some have been found close to the weir at Parramatta - 25 km/15 miles inland. Very aggressive sharks. They often attack unwitting dogs who go for a quick paddle.

There's a story (I don't know if it's true or an urban myth) of a father with his young son and their dog on a jetty in the Lane Cove River. The kid accidentally falls in... then almost immediately there was a violent rustle in the water. The father sees the shark fin so grabs the mutt and tosses it between the boy and the shark. The kid gets pulled out somehow but unfortunately the poor dog wasn't so lucky.

There are signs everywhere telling people not to swim in these tributaries - shark icon with a swimmer and a big red cross over the swimmer... just for those who can't understand English.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

I have a great shot of us around a camp fire on the beach (chose not to do the campsites. Stars were beautiful.

Can't remember too much about the lizards but those toads were like Baron Silas Greenback - the dingos were pretty cool.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

Apparently similar situation in Durban. They put the amount of shark attacks down to the estuarine waters being cloudy from silt carried from inland. I just think it is because they are murderous barstewards.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

superflyweight wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Can't remember too much about the lizards but those toads were like Baron Silas Greenback - the dingos were pretty cool.  

I went Cane Toad racing on Magnetic Island. I imagine TopHat looks like one.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:49 pm

Linebreaker wrote:The bull sharks come right up the Harbour... some have been found close to the weir at Parramatta - 25 km/15 miles inland. Very aggressive sharks. They often attack unwitting dogs who go for a quick paddle.

There's a story (I don't know if it's true or an urban myth) of a father with his young son and their dog on a jetty in the Lane Cove River. The kid accidentally falls in... then almost immediately there was a violent rustle in the water. The father sees the shark fin so grabs the mutt and tosses it between the boy and the shark. The kid gets pulled out somehow but unfortunately the poor dog wasn't so lucky.

There are signs everywhere telling people not to swim in these tributaries - shark icon with a swimmer and a big red cross over the swimmer... just for those who can't understand English.

25km? 1000 km? What is a few km's between friends.

I am going to assume it is a true story and not a myth. I would happily sacrifice a dog for at least 2 of my kids.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:53 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Apparently similar situation in Durban. They put the amount of shark attacks down to the estuarine waters being cloudy from silt carried from inland. I just think it is because they are murderous barstewards.

I think bull sharks have really bad eyesight, I am sure it is them. Their other senses are really strong and can/will attack in unclear water more than other sharks.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:01 pm

Well how far in are the Noosa Everglades??

We almost cacked ourselves when we only saw the Warning: Bull Sharks sign AFTER we got out of swimming in them! Had done a day's worth of canoeing to get there so must've been a bit of distance.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:07 pm

Noosa is on the coast. Got bitten by sea mites there. Got stung by a bluebottle jellyfish in Byron. My groin went numb.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:09 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Got stung by a bluebottle jellyfish in Byron.

I got stung on the shin by a wasp a few summers back.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Well how far in are the Noosa Everglades??

We almost cacked ourselves when we only saw the Warning: Bull Sharks sign AFTER we got out of swimming in them! Had done a day's worth of canoeing to get there so must've been a bit of distance.

Only about a k.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

You'd have been fine. Sharks tend to steer clear of manatees.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:14 pm

superflyweight wrote:

You'd have been fine.  Sharks tend to steer clear of manatees.  

Laugh

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:16 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Got stung by a bluebottle jellyfish in Byron.

I got stung on the shin by a wasp a few summers back.

Slightly more impressive than taking a shoeing from a 7 year old....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:18 pm

He isn't 7.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:20 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

You'd have been fine.  Sharks tend to steer clear of manatees.  

Laugh

laughing clap 

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:22 pm

Almost cut my hair. Happened just the other day....

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm

Sharks are dangerous. I borrowed a couple of grand off one and when I didn't pay it back in time his mate beat the sh!t out of me.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:35 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Sharks are dangerous. I borrowed a couple of grand off one and when I didn't pay it back in time his mate beat the sh!t out of me.

Same nearly happened to me when I nearly lost a game in the Shark's Pool Parlour. Lucky my partner's guided lipstick cue ball controller worked.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:37 pm

Julius wrote:Sharks are dangerous. I borrowed a couple of grand off one and when I didn't pay it back in time his mate beat the sh!t out of me.

We had lots of run ins with them when I hung with The Jets

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

Rowley wrote:Just dropped into the boxing board. What is happening in the crazy world of insects and practical but horrifically dull clothing.

Happy Birthday, Rowley.   cake  Ale 

Maybe still Tuesday there but it's already Wednesday here... so I thought I'd get in early.

Got anything special lined up for tomorrow evening, Geoff?
Or will you most likely have a quiet one curled up with the Jack Johnson book in a muscle soothing Radox bath?

Anyway mate... have a great day.... tomorrow.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:06 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
Rowley wrote:Just dropped into the boxing board. What is happening in the crazy world of insects and practical but horrifically dull clothing.

Maybe still Wednesday there but it's already Thursday here... so I thought I'd get in early.

Very early - it's still Tuesday here.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:08 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:

Maybe still Wednesday there but it's already Thursday here... so I thought I'd get in early.

Laugh 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:09 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:

Monday here....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:10 pm

Getting ahead of myself Jules. I blame those bloody South Africans.  Wink 

edited above for you...

Just "rescued" a tiny slug from my bathroom. No idea how it got in there. Through the window? Anyway, just tossed the little fella outside into the waiting jaws of my pet bull shark - which has a habit of sleeping walking from the pond.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:13 pm

You guys are so incredibly slow...

So what are your goals for 2015?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:15 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Getting ahead of myself Jules. I blame those bloody South Africans.  Wink 

edited above for you...

Just "rescued" a tiny slug from my bathroom. No idea how it got in there. Through the window? Anyway, just tossed the little fella outside into the waiting jaws of my pet bull shark - which has a habit of sleeping walking from the pond.

The South African police forensic team "rescued" four slugs from Pistorius' bathroom.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:17 pm

What did everyone have for lunch? Ploughman's lunch again or slug n' pistorious pasta special?

Don't know why... but Hashim Amla sort of reminds me of a young Abe Lincoln. (if you squint your eyes)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:21 pm

I knew Abe Lincoln. Abe Lincoln was a friend of mine. Amla, you're no Abe Lincoln.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:23 pm

Not perverted enough, I know. He's also debt free which ruins my comparison completely.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:30 pm

Linebreaker wrote:What did everyone have for lunch? Ploughman's lunch again or slug n' pistorious pasta special?

Spicy corn chowder soup Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:38 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:What did everyone have for lunch? Ploughman's lunch again or slug n' pistorious pasta special?

Is that a Covent Garden effort? Have something similar in the fridge, their broccoli and stilton is pretty good.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:42 pm

Amla has his head on upside down.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:43 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

What did you have for mains and pudding?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:45 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:I have no interesting arthropod-related anecdote, nor have I ever rented a flat in London. I have led a sheltered life and am now paying the price.

Tell us about the time you reversed over an urchin in your Morgan.

I reversed over an urchin in my Morgan.
Classic JHM anecdote. Especially the part where you reverse over an urchin in your Morgan.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:48 pm

Galted wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Is that a Covent Garden effort?  Have something similar in the fridge, their broccoli and stilton is pretty good.

Yep, good spot. One of my faves. Found the brocc & stilton nice but pongy.

Other regular faves include:

Minestrone
Chicken & Veg
Patatas Bravas
Pea, ham & leek

The lentil and smoked bacon is deelish too, but too high calorie count Sad

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

What did you have for mains and pudding?

Water raspberry

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next