The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April

+40
EST
TJ
MrsP
JmD
A Simply Mesmeric Try
neilthom7
Gibson
GLove39
cakeordeath
George Carlin
jimbopip
VinceWLB
LondonTiger
Argybargy
alive555
21st Century Schizoid Man
Manky-Flanker
marty2086
BigGee
Captain_Sensible
Dorothy_Mantooth
funnyExiledScot
demosthenes
luvtotup
Don Alfonso
R!skysports
Weegie Wizard
tigertattie
IanBru
RDW
clivemcl
Pete330v2
rodders
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Cambo
geoff998rugby
LeinsterFan4life
Standulstermen
The Great Aukster
Notch
44 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April - Page 8 Empty Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April

Post by George Carlin Mon 14 Apr 2014, 4:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow WarriorsGlasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April - Page 8 Angry12 v Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April - Page 8 Swear125Ulster Rugby  

Friday 18 April 2014, KO 19:35
Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU, 34th competition game)
Assistant Referees: David Changleng, Graeme Marshall (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner: John Montgomery (SRU)
TMO: Jim Yuille (SRU)

Live on BBC ALBA/NI

A. Teams:

I. Glasgow
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April - Page 8 Kelly-10
15 Murchie
14 Maitland
13 Bennett
12 Horne
11 Seymour
10 Russell
09 Cusiter

08 Wilson
07 Fusaro
06 Strauss
05 Gray
04 Swinson
03 Welsh
02 Hall
01 Reid

16 MacArthur
17 Grant
18 Cross
19 Nakarawa
20 Harley
21 Matawalu
22 Jackson
23 Vernon

II. Ulster
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April - Page 8 Belfas10
15 R Andrew
14 T Bowe
13 D Cave
13 L Marshall
11 A Trimble
10 P Jackson
09 P Marshall

1 T Court
2 R Herring
3 R Lutton
4 J Muller (Captain)
5 I Henderson
6 C Henry
7 S Doyle
8 N Williams

16 N Annett
17 A Warwick
18 D Fitzpatrick
19 L Stevenson
20 M McComish
21 M Heaney
22 J McKinney
23 C Gilroy

B. Form - head to head:

28 Played 28
12 Wins 15
15 Losses 12
1 Draws 1
44 Tries 49
30 Conversions 31
66 Penalties 75
7 Drop Goals 2
499 Points 538
25 Avg. Age 25

C. Form - this season & last:

Fri 31 August 2012, 19:05
Ulster Rugby 18 - 10 Glasgow Warriors
Ravenhill

Fri 22 February 2013, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 20 - 14 Ulster Rugby
Scotstoun

Fri 13 September 2013, 19:05
Ulster Rugby 12 - 13 Glasgow Warriors
Ravenhill

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 17 Apr 2014, 12:38 pm; edited 7 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April

Post by Guest Sun 20 Apr 2014, 9:20 pm

Scotland don't quite have the depth to do that regards someone with an injury who e.g. had the shirt for the 6N. They'd be drafted back in as 2nd choice for the tournament (bench and playing some pool games) and depending on how the replacement(s) got along in warm ups, with or without a view to having them restored as 1st choice.

E.g. if Maitland / Hogg / Gray Snr were injured for all the warm ups pretty sure you'd see them start against the USA and maybe take the shirt back in time for Samoa.

But we're agreed on the new cap thing! Those warm up games are crucial.

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 18 April

Post by RDW Sun 20 Apr 2014, 10:02 pm

Glad to see several people agreeing with me now, given that the concencus yesterday was that my opinion on the matter was way off! Also interesting to hear notch's view on the matter given he's a neutral.

He raises a good point about preparation - forget the summer tour, AIs and 6N Strauss is missing, the 4 warm up games are key for Cotter finalising his combinations and tactics. Given that back row balance is so important (just ask SJ) to have someone miss those 4 games would be a massive hindrance.

Also there's a big difference between a winger being thrown in at the deep end and a back rower - the 6/8 position is such a key part of the team, whereas you can get away with inexperienced on the wings.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 7:46 am

history tells otherwise.
maitland was picked and he worked out just fine. im sure strauss will do too . he was signed for the wc in mind ffs. havent you put 2 and 2 together as regards to timing of that 3 yr residency? it wasnt a fluke !

and now your going to say to a project signed player (signed for the wc) sorry you havent played in warm up games so sorry we are going with a player isnt as good and / or who isnt getting regular gametime for _______ .
That player, if not from edinburgh  picard  picard  picard , will be significantly less familiar with his co players than strauss will be !!
I charge u with being a johnsonesque selector !
yes not ideal but you have to go with your best players end of story .
this has been the mindset of the past selectors and its been a catastrophic failure.
next you will be playing ford  picard 

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 21 Apr 2014, 8:24 am

Stauss should be considered for selection but the fact he will not be able to play the warm up games nor any games before the WC will work against him

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 21 Apr 2014, 8:25 am

Just because he was signed as a project player doesn't necessarily mean he was signed specifically for the world cup.

I'm sorry but it's completely unfathomable for me how people don't think its a big deal that he will earn his first cap in the world cup, and will play no part in any of the 4 warm up games. As unfathomable as you think I'm being by saying that's an issue! It beggars belief IMO.

This isn't the amateur game - this is high level profession al rugby. You can't just dump a player in to a high intensity pressure environment and hope it will work out ok. The game is far more structured and organised now and he'll have no experience of the defensive strategy, set piece, team shape and attack.

I just can't see how the benefits he would bring as a player over Brown/beattie/strokosh/Denton would outweigh the fact that he's never played international rugby before and he's never played in Vern Cotter's Scotland team before.

Anyway this argument has gone in more circles than the Jared Payne one, so I'm not gonna post any more on it. We're obviously not going to persuade each other either way.

If he plays in the world cup and puts in barnstorming performances I'll be absolutely delighted and happy to eat humble pie. I just don't think it's the right thing to do.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 Apr 2014, 8:36 am

Wow - some unexpected views here.

Alive is right - Dodson signed up Strauss on the understanding that he would be eligible for the RWC and more importantly, that will also have been Strauss' understanding.

This is really not Brendan Laney mk.II. Strauss will have had 3 years playing against Edinburgh colleagues and 3 playing alongside Glasgow teammates. If Cotter thinks him worthy, I have no doubt that Strauss will be involved in training camps for the next year. He will be in strategy sessions, team training, will learn the line-out calls and be tried in competitive training sessions. There's no reason at all he won't feel a team member by then.

I think what Notch said is that you'll only make an exception for a project player in these circumstances if he was irreplaceable. Isn't Strauss edging into that category? I would have Kelly at 6, still, but having watched the Big Beardie all year I think that as a prospect at 8, he has to have much better technique than Denton, is more influential than Beattie (especially in defence) and is more powerful than both of them.

Other sides are lining up monsters like Nick Williams and Billy Vunipola at 8. Do we honestly think we have the luxury of thumbing our nose at an excellent equivalent simply because we'd rather he played a few warm up games first?

Of course we don't. The best players get chosen. That's the beginning and end of it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 Apr 2014, 8:38 am

RDW - just saw your post. I remain open to being convinced of either view. Mind you, if the Scotland coach was Solomons, we know what would happen... Very Happy 
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 21 Apr 2014, 10:18 am

If a player hasn't played for the team in a Test match, then by definition he hasn't been tested at that level. Whatever happens he can't be going into the RWC as first choice because the shirt will belong to someone else, ergo he has no opportunity of wresting that shirt away from the incumbent. The only opportunity that Strauss will have of getting a big game start is through injury or total failure of the incumbent - and by then it is probably too late...

So the question is whether he can make up the squad numbers - a lot of teams will have 3 locks and 5 backrows plus a player who can play both. So how does Strauss fit into that framework - has he played lock or openside?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:10 am

sure move on ..... but clear ur advocating leaving him at home playing computer games after being signed as a project player to play in the wc. thats farcical even by sru standards  laughing 

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:13 am

Auskter, the only current player in the Scottish mix that has played lock and loose forward is Rob Harley. Strauss has only played 6 or 8, so his competition in that dual role is Kelly Brown, David Denton, Ryan Wilson and Johnny Beattie - all of whom (thanks to Scott Johnson's selection Pez dispensor) have played both positions. Harley really only plays 6 for Glasgow these days, thankfully.

The other guy in the mix at blindside is our favourite folically prejudiced lunatic - Big  Al Strokosch who has played well for us in the past and hopefully will finD another club if Perpignan go down this season, which is currently a real possibility.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:18 am

GC FYI Josh Strauss has also played lock for the Lions.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:23 am

George Carlin wrote:
I think what Notch said is that you'll only make an exception for a project player in these circumstances if he was irreplaceable. Isn't Strauss edging into that category?

No, no what I said has nothing to so with project players or his status as a 'foreigner'. It's purely a pragmatic argument from a rugby PoV.

What I mean is the World Cup is about momentum and generating that momentum really starts in the warm-ups. If a player is irreplaceable- as in clearly the best player in his position by some distance- you might keep him a spot even if he can't take any part in the warm-ups. But in positions where you are well stocked if a guy missed the warm-ups through injury, or in this case not being available, then it's harder to justify because the guys who are playing have a head start in terms of game time and developing those combinations and gelling with their teammates.

For a guy who is new to the set-up, it will always take him a few games to develop that chemistry with his teammates and the time to do that is in the warm-ups. You can't have a player doing that in the World Cup pool stages, it's too late. Unless he really is exceptional- but for me Scotland have a lot of options in the back row. Strauss as an individual is as good as any of them but Cotter has time to mould the others into a quality unit before the World Cup begins, but won't be able to work with him.

Last edited by Notch on Mon 21 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:24 am

Alive, love that reply  Laugh 
Here's a thought: not so long ago we all , smugly, believed Scotland to have a wealth of options and possibly the best back row in Europe. So why did we struggle to find an effective unit in the 6N's? No we can't put all the blame on Rab C's eccentric selections.
Is it the Killer B's?
Harley-Dozer -Fozzie?
Strokes-Wilson-Rennie?
Is it possible that if players excel in their position then there is no debate as to where to play them? Or to put it another way; is there anyone who has made the 6 jersey their own? Or the 8?
Remember in the pool stages of the WC we play two qualifiers and if we can't beat them comfortably then we really are in trouble: Bluto can play in those games as his warm ups (unless one of them is the game he misses). Also the Samoa game will be short on subtlety and long on collisions and guts. Right up Bluto's street.
Leaving him behind would be mental, Ted, just mental.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:51 am

The biggest problem with scotlands back row is lack of go -to . Hard yards

All the other nations have those types of players who always make ground. we dont.

anyone watching the last 6n would have been struck by our massive pack unable to make any yards with the goddam pill !

and thats why strauss gets the nod imho.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm

Be great to watch Strauss go up against Denton this Saturday. Just hope David realises his World Cup spot is on the line...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon 21 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

alive555 wrote:sure  move on ..... but clear ur advocating leaving him at home playing computer games after being signed as a project player to play in the wc. thats farcical even by sru standards  laughing 

I don't think Strauss was signed with the WC mainly in mind, yes I am sure that was part of the thinking but I don't think it was the be all and end all. Had the focus been on this WC coming, why was he not signed during the Summer of 2012? Remember Strauss only arrived in Scotland in the September of that year as Glasgows original signing (the Tongan backrower) fell through.

Strauss should be part of Cotters selection desicions, I don't think he should be ruled out of selection but obviosuly he will be up against it. It's a shame and understandably a major negative that he can't play in the warm ups, but if Cotter thinks he is clearly better than the competition, him not playing in a couple of low key Warm up games is not going kill his chances.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 1:47 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:sure  move on ..... but clear ur advocating leaving him at home playing computer games after being signed as a project player to play in the wc. thats farcical even by sru standards  laughing 

I don't think Strauss was signed with the WC mainly in mind, yes I am sure that was part of the thinking but I don't think it was the be all and end all.  Had the focus been on this WC coming, why was he not signed during the Summer of 2012?  Remember Strauss only arrived in Scotland in the September of that year as Glasgows original signing (the Tongan backrower) fell through.  

Strauss should be part of Cotters selection desicions, I don't think he should be ruled out of selection but obviosuly he will be up against it. It's a shame and understandably a major negative that he can't play in the warm ups, but if Cotter thinks he is clearly better than the competition, him not playing in a couple of low key Warm up games is not going kill his chances.

the reason was that he was tied to playing for the kings. their season finishes in july-august, and rabo doesnt start till september.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 Apr 2014, 2:16 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

I don't think Strauss was signed with the WC mainly in mind, yes I am sure that was part of the thinking but I don't think it was the be all and end all.  Had the focus been on this WC coming, why was he not signed during the Summer of 2012?  Remember Strauss only arrived in Scotland in the September of that year as Glasgows original signing (the Tongan backrower) fell through.  

+1. I think all I'm saying is that he shouldn't be excluded automatically just because his first cap would be in a world cup game.

Strauss will be assessed on his merits, with appropriate consideration given to the disadvantage of not having played competitive matches in the thistle before. All I'm saying is that it's not impossible to prefer Strauss to the other alternatives in the 23, notwithstanding the potential issues with lack of cohesiveness, etc. Would be madder than a box of hair not to at least have him in the training squad, though.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon 21 Apr 2014, 2:35 pm

alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

the reason was that he was tied to playing for the kings. their season finishes in july-august, and rabo doesnt start till september.

If the Tongan deal had not fallen through at the end of Summer 2012, Strauss would not have been signed by Glasgow that season at all.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 2:44 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

If the Tongan deal had not fallen through at the end of Summer 2012, Strauss would not have been signed by Glasgow that season at all.

yeah silly me i forgot about that

so the tongan WAS signed to play for us. i knew it !  laughing laughing 

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon 21 Apr 2014, 3:28 pm

alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

What are you talking about?

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 3:44 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

what has the tongan deal falling through got to do with strauss being signed to be eligible for wc ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Mon 21 Apr 2014, 3:58 pm

alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

what has the tongan deal falling through got to do with strauss being signed to be eligible for wc ?

Quite alot, as if the deal had not fallen through Strauss would not have been signed, certainly not that year.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:10 pm

I don't know if it's right to say that S wouldn't have been signed at all. He has said an interview which I'll try to find that Glasgow had been in touch him for several months and that ongoing interest was one of the reasons why he signed. I think it's more likely that he didn't know what was happening with the Lions until the end of the summer.

Sure as sh!t glad that we did sign him though.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 21 Apr 2014, 4:39 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:

Quite alot, as if the deal had not fallen through Strauss would not have been signed, certainly not that year.  

but he was  laughing  isnt is crystal that anyone who was signed prior to the the start of that season would have been eligible. strauss the tongan, rubarb the raindeer.  idea

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 Apr 2014, 7:27 pm

George Carlin wrote:I don't know if it's right to say that S wouldn't have been signed at all. He has said an interview which I'll try to find that Glasgow had been in touch him for several months and that ongoing interest was one of the reasons why he signed. I think it's more likely that he didn't know what was happening with the Lions until the end of the summer.

Sure as sh!t glad that we did sign him though.

Here's the piece. Nice intro for fans of other clubs who may know nothing about him:
Glasgow’s position is testament to Josh Strauss
07 April 2013
Iain Morrison, Hootsmon

AT THE start of the season Glasgow Warriors announced that they had signed an exotic-sounding No.8 from the southern hemisphere, a big beast to carry the game to the opposition in every sense of the phrase. Perhaps now the rugby world would sit up and take notice?

Perhaps not. A few weeks later the Tongan breakaway Viliami Ma’afu quit Glasgow for “personal reasons” and returned home, only to be replaced by a latter-day Moses who has led Glasgow to the promised land otherwise known as the top of the RaboDirect Pro 12. Josh Strauss may not be the prophet himself but he does sport an Old Testament beard which is luxurious enough to be the setting for David Attenborough’s next wildlife series.

The South African Strauss got here in a hurry, a “project player” who will qualify to play for Scotland on the three-year residency rule on 19 September, 2015, a day after the Rugby World Cup kicks off. He arrived with a mixed resume because, after captaining the Golden Lions to Currie Cup victory in 2011, Strauss led the Lions to the bottom of the Super 15 ladder last season and out of the competition altogether because the Jo’berg franchise was controversially replaced by the Port Elisabeth-based Southern Kings. “We lost to South African politics,” says Strauss.

After a difficult period adjusting to his new surroundings, the No.8 has become increasingly impressive, one of the main reasons Glasgow top the league. Three more matches remain in the regular season and if Gregor Townsend’s team can capture home advantage in the play-offs they could become the first Scottish side to win something meaningful in the professional era.

There is clearly a lot at stake, although Strauss has also invested plenty of his own rugby capital in upping sticks and moving halfway across the globe to play for Glasgow. The South African swapped Ellis Park (capacity circa 56,000) for Scotstoun Stadium (capacity circa 50,000 fewer), pitches baked rock hard by the sun for pitches frozen solid by frost and a shot at the Springboks squad in 2015 for the chance to join Scotland’s World Cup campaign. Why?

“After spending a year in France when I was just 20 years old it was always my intention to return to either the UK or Europe to play rugby,” replies Strauss, who obviously suffers a little wanderlust. “Given the circumstances at the Lions after the franchise was relegated out of Super Rugby, it seemed the right thing to do. Gregor Townsend phoned me out of the blue and I had several extensive talks with him on Skype. I liked his enthusiasm and his vision for the club and Graham Lowe, who was then the high-performance director at Scottish Rugby, flew out to see me and my wife. It is always nice to feel wanted and that is what Glasgow did for me.

“When I was growing up in South Africa I always dreamed of becoming a Springbok player just like every other kid. I made the big training squad last summer for the trio of matches against England but I was cut from the smaller squad.

“I am a realistic guy and you can’t put your entire heart or your head on one thing. You can only play your best and hope for the best. The circumstances with the Lions made the move an obvious one, and while many people back home are saying I might have gone too soon I am enjoying [Glasgow], I am enjoying the players and if one day I make the Scotland squad I will be a very proud man but it’s just not my focus right now.”

In many ways Strauss is an atypical South African rugby player. His first year of senior, professional rugby was in France. He lists the irreverent South Park and Family Guy as two of his favourite television shows and he played guitar in various outfits including the punk band Something for Nothing back home. When the Lions were relegated he considered moves to New Zealand (Chiefs and Crusaders) or Ireland (Ulster). If he’s not Old Testament, his “have boots, will travel” attitude is decidedly old school.

With six months of European rugby under his belt, Strauss now admits that the move north was not all plain sailing. Playing back-to-back seasons probably didn’t help but the winter weather in Scotland would test the resolve of Captain Scott, never mind a sun-loving South African who at least had one pleasant surprise in store. “I did struggle with the weather,” admits the breakaway, “because I came from a climate where the lowest temperature in winter might be 8-10 degrees while in Glasgow it was really cold… below zero! Training on a wet field tells on the knees and the calves. I spoke to friends who were playing here and they said that I would get used to it but I should not expect to get off the plane and make the same impact as I did back home.

“I know I should not admit to this, but I was a little bit surprised at the professionalism at Glasgow. Coming from Super Rugby, where we have the feeling that everything is perfect, it was a pleasant surprise to find that the facilities here are world-class. The strength and conditioning was exceptional, the medical staff and everyone involved in the club had such high standards.”

He may have taken time to hit his straps but the best of the big man has proved worth waiting for. At 6’ 5” and almost 18 stones, the South African offers Glasgow exactly what they need, a big ball carrier whose barrelling runs get the team on the front foot. Attacking weapons out wide such as Peter Horne, Stuart Hogg and Sean Maitland are eager and able to exploit fast go-forward ball. At their best, Glasgow make the game look easy.

Two other factors may just have helped Strauss settle in his adopted land because since signing for Glasgow he returned home in December to marry. He is now joined in Glasgow by the two girls in his life, his new wife, Tami-Lee, and his miniature Doberman Pincher, Della. As he says, he is committed to Glasgow for three years and he isn’t going to do it without his dog or, of course, his new missus.

Della is keeping any thoughts about the move to herself but there are plenty of doubters back home in South Africa who have flooded the rugby message boards with the worry that the Springboks have lost a captain in waiting.

“This was a hard as nails player who at least breaks the gain line almost always AND a great leader to boot,” was posted by Rooibaard2000 on one board, and that was followed up by Blokkies: “This man is an yster (made of steel) and I am very sad to see him go.”

Springboks coach Heyneke Meyer admitted last year when asked about the exodus of South African rugby talent: “You would get an unbelievably strong Springboks side just from the players overseas.”

South Africa have a stack of riches to choose from but even their seemingly endless reserve of breakaways must be running low. Saracens’ South African No.8 Ernst Joubert has thrown his lot in with England, while Antoine Classens, son of the former Springbok skipper Wynand, has gone one better and played for France. Juan Smith has retired from the game due to injury and Ryan Kankowski has joined Toyota Verblitz in Japan on a six-month contract. There are plenty of pundits in South Africa who quietly think that Meyer was a little hasty in letting Strauss leave.

“A prophet is not without honour except in his own land,” as the Bible has it, and Glasgow are grateful for that fact.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:22 am

A couple of questions. Can someone explain to me why ulster ended up with 14 players. they had run out of props due to injury but had not used all their subs. Obviously this was right as no one has complained but I don't understand why they could not have brought on an sub and still gone to uncontested scrums. What am I missing?

also no comments on the pics / questions I asked about the Bennet try. Was the question to the TMO "any reason not to award the try?" or "try yes or no?"

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:25 am

Pretty sure the question was try yes or no, and to make sure there wasn't any blocking earlier on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Apr 2014, 8:32 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Pretty sure the question was try yes or no, and to make sure there wasn't any blocking earlier on.

In that case a poor decision as to me the replay was inconclusive with no strong evidence either way. If it had been " any reason not to award the try it would heave been OK as then the TMO has to see something wrong on the replay.

Thanks

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm

Can anyone explain the 14 man thing to me?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:20 pm

TJ wrote:Can anyone explain the 14 man thing to me?

The Rabo website can:

5.7. If a Front Row Player has to be replaced and his Team cannot provide a replacement or other suitably qualified player from those who started the match or from the nominated replacements to enable the match to continue safely, the match referee will order uncontested scrums. Should this happen, the Team concerned shall not be entitled to replace the player whose departure caused uncontested scrums

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:27 pm

Ta. I thought that was it but not sure. Every day is a school day. I guess thats to stop fake injuries if you are getting mullered in the scrums

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:38 pm

It was only brought in after the whole Quins blood injury debacle, so you couldn't fake an injury and have say four back rows on and uncontested scrums.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm

TJ wrote:Ta.  I thought that was it but not sure.  Every day is a school day.  I guess thats to stop fake injuries if you are getting mullered in the scrums

Even with that i'm not 100% sure Tom Court was genuinely injured, i can understand that as it's no mystery that he is very unconfortable at TH and to be honest it's a bit unfair to ask a LH to switch to TH, the other way around is ok though.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:05 pm

Going to uncontested scrums may have worked in Ulsters favour but going to 14 men did not for sure so I doubt any skulduggery

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:10 pm

Wasn't there a 5m scrum Glasgow ball near the end? i would have fancied a penalty try there surely.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:46 am

VinceWLB wrote:
TJ wrote:Ta.  I thought that was it but not sure.  Every day is a school day.  I guess thats to stop fake injuries if you are getting mullered in the scrums

Even with that i'm not 100% sure Tom Court was genuinely injured, i can understand that as it's no mystery that he is very unconfortable at TH and to be honest it's a bit unfair to ask a LH to switch to TH, the other way around is ok though.

Vince sorry but that is rubbish - he had a trapped nerve

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:59 am

geoff998rugby wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:

Vince sorry but that is rubbish - he had a trapped nerve
Court's as hard as a kevlar poophouse - cannot see anything other than a properly painful injury forcing him off.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8