The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 4

+17
Jahu
kneel_before_nadal
DJB14
ChequeredJersey
Haddie-nuff
HM Murdock
CaledonianCraig
Gerry SA
DirectView2
naxroy
JuliusHMarx
kemet
Mad for Chelsea
TopoftheChops
The Special Juan
lags72
laverfan
21 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - Page 4 Empty Wimbledon Day 4

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:37 am

First topic message reminder :

Surely today's play deserves a thread of it's own!

Nadal v Rosol. Many praying for a repeat of 2012. You are going to need a roof for that! Nadal looking for some revenge no doubt. Shoulder barge to strike again like a Suarez bite?

Federer v Muller. Potential tricky opponent for Roger. Again could Federer make another 2nd round exit?

Our Hev is in action against Kerber. Fingers crossed on that one.

Wawrinka, Gasquet, Raonic, Williams, Bouchard and Sharapova all in action.

Tsonga and Querrey to commence their 5 set epic!

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 4 - Page 4 Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 4

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm

it's a little annoying this one because Watson should really be winning this. She's playing smarter and more aggressive, but has made at least a dozen UEs on simple putaways. Just a few too many errors overall. Shame.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:06 pm

naxroy wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:
naxroy wrote:nadal is a good sportsman. after 12 years in the circuit he has always kept a nice behaviour on court, when winning and losing.

after 12 years, tell me how many rivals say he is not a good sportsman, and remember he has played almost 900 matches

The problem is you being a fan seeing only the positive side of his, me being neutral see both sides of his, I see a good heart in him [as you can see I have already complemented for what great person he is off court] as well as a guy who will bend the rules beyond limits to win at all cost even if that comes under the expense of sportsmanship.

after meeting 224 diferent oponents,I dont think more than 5 or 6 have ever complained about him. for me that is sign of good behaviour over 12 years. if he were known for doing anything to win (win at all cost), there wouldnt be such a consensus among rivals about him being a nice lad in and off court

Is there a reason why the same players haven't voted him for sportsmanship awards barring once?  Rolling Eyes

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:06 pm

Watson is cute, thought her choice of Mothercare style dress, is questionable.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm

Kerber having a hard time closing the match.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:18 pm

Kerber closes it finally.

God almighty now descending in the court. Probably in gold shoes and lots of swiss stars on them.  Laugh 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:27 pm

So rain is forecast and they haven't closed the roof??

I wish I knew their logic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm

Fed either gets it in 2h or continue tomorrow.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:36 pm

DirectView2 wrote:
naxroy wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:
naxroy wrote:nadal is a good sportsman. after 12 years in the circuit he has always kept a nice behaviour on court, when winning and losing.

after 12 years, tell me how many rivals say he is not a good sportsman, and remember he has played almost 900 matches

The problem is you being a fan seeing only the positive side of his, me being neutral see both sides of his, I see a good heart in him [as you can see I have already complemented for what great person he is off court] as well as a guy who will bend the rules beyond limits to win at all cost even if that comes under the expense of sportsmanship.

after meeting 224 diferent oponents,I dont think more than 5 or 6 have ever complained about him. for me that is sign of good behaviour over 12 years. if he were known for doing anything to win (win at all cost), there wouldnt be such a consensus among rivals about him being a nice lad in and off court

Is there a reason why the same players haven't voted him for sportsmanship awards barring once?  Rolling Eyes

by that logic, just 2 players have had good sportsmanship since 2003: nadal (2010) and federer. the rest of the bunch?

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:51 pm

Can Muller return any ball back or just server and get confused if ball comes back.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:12 pm

Rain coming down.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:14 pm

That could be too simplistic an assessment Jahu.

Ok, he has not remotely threatened the Federer serve so far. But Fed is more prone to mid-match wobbles than he ever was in his pomp, and Muller himself is very difficult to break when serving like he is. So he could hang with Federer to a TB, and then who knows  ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:16 pm

Anything is possible, but Muller used to know a little more then serve.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:I have been posting on this forum and its predecessor for a number of years and this old chestnut has been done to death... my opinion is for what it is worth ... why go on and on about it to people who are sick to the eyebrows of hearing the same gripe.. write to the APT or any of the tennis powers that be with your grievance if you feel so strongly about it..  Other than that give it a break for pity's sake  Just watch the game or turn the tv off

I agree. I don't care enough to write to the ATP. I like Rafa's game, but if he's taking to long between points, I turn off, because it leaves a sour taste.

But there are newer posters who should be allowed to express their views and I suppose older ones can express them again if they want to. As a mod, I'm obliged to read it over and over, but Haddie, at least you can hit the off switch and not read any of it. Luxury!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:20 pm

Jahu wrote:Rain coming down.

lags72 wrote:That could be too simplistic an assessment Jahu.

Laugh

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:24 pm

Samurai senses!!!
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:34 pm

A naughty bit of juxtaposition + editing there JHM  !

(but it wasn't raining properly, so I stand by my comment ho ho .... Cool)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:40 pm

If it's going to be raining over the next few days I wouldn't mind if they scheduled Djokovic and Nadal for Court 1 tomorrow and Saturday respectively Whistle

I'm going to miss Dandy Andy tomorrow because I have a funeral (can't people die after Wimbledon?) but I'll record the match because I'm that sad.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:04 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:I have been posting on this forum and its predecessor for a number of years and this old chestnut has been done to death... my opinion is for what it is worth ... why go on and on about it to people who are sick to the eyebrows of hearing the same gripe.. write to the APT or any of the tennis powers that be with your grievance if you feel so strongly about it..  Other than that give it a break for pity's sake  Just watch the game or turn the tv off

I agree. I don't care enough to write to the ATP. I like Rafa's game, but if he's taking to long between points, I turn off, because it leaves a sour taste.

But there are newer posters who should be allowed to express their views and I suppose older ones can express them again if they want to. As a mod, I'm obliged to read it over and over, but Haddie, at least you can hit the off switch and not read any of it. Luxury!

That is not only an insidious comment Julius but rather illogical dont you think. You also had the luxury to let it go but chose to poke the hornets nest with your little stick again.... as I say no matter how long I stay away (an thus I did not read any of it) no matter how far I travel some things never change... I repeat its an old chestnut and its being debated not just by new posters but those Ive known for years. Its not a luxury JM you chose to be a moderator... goes with the job !!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:18 pm

Muller is a joke.

He was World Junior Champion in 2001.

Fed giving a class how to dismantle a big server.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:24 pm

Jahu wrote:Muller is a joke.

He was World Junior Champion in 2001.

Fed giving a class how to dismantle a big server.

Muller is not a joke, he got one of the best service motions, big forehand and a decent backhand, however his movement is so sucky on the baselines.

I am still not impressed with Fed's game however, at the moment its like both playing bad, no where near as good as Rosol vs Rafa, both in terms of match and drama.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:26 pm

@ Haddie,

I understand its horrible to take a critic on a player whom you are a fan off, anyways for goodness sake I am leaving that topic at the least till Saturday.  Very Happy 

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm

Muller is not a joke Jahu. You can be more respectful than that surely.

He's come through three qualis and then R1 - all without dropping a set.

Today he had to face an opponent of a whole different standard, so I'm not sure what you expected of him.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:35 pm

Plus he beat Nadal here one year. Did I not mention that?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:35 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

That is not only an insidious comment Julius but rather illogical dont you think. You also had the luxury to let it go but chose to poke the hornets nest with your little stick again.... as I say no matter how long I stay away (an thus I did not read any of it) no matter how far I travel some things never change... I repeat its an old chestnut and its being debated not just by new posters but those Ive known for years. Its not a luxury JM you chose to be a moderator... goes with the job !!!

I volunteered when asked, yes, not for my own benefit, that's for sure.
I didn't even comment on the time-rule thing apart from my one comment above which you quoted, which agreed with your own point of view.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:40 pm

Good win for Federer there.

Did any of the matches get interrupted by rain?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Good win for Federer there.

Did any of the matches get interrupted by rain?

Yeah two matches have been held 'til tomorrow - Granollers v Giraldo (early stages of the 5th) and Janowicz v Hewitt (Janowicz 1 set up, 4-4 in the 2nd).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:50 pm

no matter what you guys say about Muller-- that guy Federer sure can serve.... yikes- the spots he hit.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 8:59 pm

44 aces, 1 df, 5 UEs. Nice.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:03 pm

Interesting comments from Federer. Wonder if Nadal heard them? chin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:09 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Interesting comments from Federer. Wonder if Nadal heard them? chin

I didn't. Not the usual dull post-match stuff?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:16 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:Interesting comments from Federer. Wonder if Nadal heard them? chin

I didn't. Not the usual dull post-match stuff?

He was questioned about whether he rushes points in a bid to save energy. He responded saying that he doesn't rush points and that the physicality of the game isn't an issue and that he plays within the time limits for his opponent and the spectators and acknowledges that 'some' players can't operate within the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:18 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

that's for sure.

In a million years, I would never have guessed that Julius is actually John McEnroe.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:19 pm

DirectView2 wrote:@ Haddie,

I understand its horrible to take a critic on a player whom you are a fan off, anyways for goodness sake I am leaving that topic at the least till Saturday.  Very Happy 

I dont  care how many times you discuss it.  Believe me Nadals fans are well used to the knocks and his critics so that is nothing new.  I agree he takes too long. and I always have   But on a general thread where we are supposed to discuss all matches that are played at Wimbledon today then I would have thought this topic is not only passed its sell by date but out of order  and should be left in its place
If you and  Jm still feel its a subject worth discussing (God help us) then why not have an entire thread dedicated to the subject  ie Nadals time wasting/Abuse of the rules and general grievances.  You can all sound off and then we might all get some peace.. you wouldnt have the need to turn your tvs off and I can carry on posting without the fear of a ticking off (however it is phrased) by a moderator... dont you think that is a good idea  Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:21 pm

kingraf wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

that's for sure.

In a million years, I would never have guessed that Julius is actually John McEnroe.

You cannot be serious.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm

The Old Man was lucky to get the second set without a TB, due to Muller errors. A TB is Russian Roulette for the Old Man.

Nadal. clap Well done.

@H-n... Good to see you, despite being embroiled in the SaMeOld$hit. Enjoy Nadal's matches, leave the defending to KbN. KbN is very capable from what I have seen in the last 3+ days.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:24 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:@ Haddie,

I dont  care how many times you discuss it.  Believe me Nadals fans are well used to the knocks and his critics so that is nothing new.  I agree he takes too long. and I always have   But on a general thread where we are supposed to discuss all matches that are played at Wimbledon today then I would have thought this topic is not only passed its sell by date but out of order  and should be left in its place
If you and  Jm still feel its a subject worth discussing (God help us) then why not have an entire thread dedicated to the subject  ie Nadals time wasting/Abuse of the rules and general grievances.  You can all sound off and then we might all get some peace.. you wouldnt have the need to turn your tvs off and I can carry on posting without the fear of a ticking off (however it is phrased) by a moderator... dont you think that is a good idea  Whistle

I made one comment - only in response to yours which I agreed with. How is that me wanting to discuss it any more than you? When did I tick you off. There was never any intention of that!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:25 pm

laverfan wrote:The Old Man was lucky to get the second set without a TB, due to Muller errors.

Very lucky - Muller got interrupted during his service action by the loudspeaker at set point down, lost focus and lost the point.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:28 pm

Julius never meant any harm, that's for sure. You cannot seriously think he would. He'd have to be the pits of earth, for sure.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:29 pm

kingraf wrote:Julius never meant any harm, that's for sure. You cannot seriously think he would. He'd have to be the pits of earth, for sure.

Chalk flew up, kr!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:38 pm

laverfan wrote:The Old Man was lucky to get the second set without a TB, due to Muller errors. A TB is Russian Roulette for the Old Man.

Nadal. clap Well done.

@H-n... Good to see you, despite being embroiled in the SaMeOld$hit. Enjoy Nadal's matches, leave the defending to KbN. KbN is very capable from what I have seen in the last 3+ days.

HI there LF nice to see you too... (and you too actually JM.. I know how much you missed me really  Whistle) I might be seeing things from further away but as you say its still the $ame ol $h@t .. still have my Spanish ties and will do until he retires... can't get behind Raonic no matter how I try..so your stuck with the same on Nadal fan Im afraid.  Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:49 pm

The truth Haddie? I prefer to have to you here than not be here.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:53 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:The truth Haddie? I prefer to have to you here than not be here.

See H-n, the two Tennis Mods heart you. I would not want either one of us to be accused of the chasing Nadal fans away (as we have been in the past).

I am also glad to see Lydian back, even if it is for the W window. 

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:55 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:The truth Haddie? I prefer to have to you here than not be here.

awwwwwwwwwwwJM shucks Hug 

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:57 pm

laverfan wrote:

See H-n, the two Tennis Mods heart you. I would not want either one of us to be accused of the chasing Nadal fans away (as we have been in the past).

I am also glad to see Lydian back, even if it is for the W window. 

LF heart  feeling is mutual Ive missed dear old 606v2 I truly have... getting up and running with a computer took a while and I have to watch a lot of tv on Line...but Im managing lol

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:59 pm

To a certain extent, both Rafa and Roger had a fair dose of luck today.

Rosol needed just two points - both on his own serve - to take the second on a TB. He had been pretty solid   until then, but the golden chance of a two sets lead came & went. Rafa then stepped it up of course.

Likewise, Muller had been holding his service games in the second but just couldn't battle through to a TB which could well have seen him square the match.

But then you think of all the 'lucky' moments, in all the matches over all the years, where Fed & Nadal have got the win ; and you ask yourself whether it might perhaps be more than luck .........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm

lags. Isnt it said that you make your own luck.  These two and Novak as well it seems manage to find "that little bit of LUCK when they need it most" fortune favours the brave

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

For Muller, 0/0 BPs is a strange stat, which implies that ground game did not put enough pressure on the Old Man.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:10 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:lags. Isnt it said that you make your own luck.  These two and Novak as well it seems manage to find "that little bit of LUCK when they need it most" fortune favours the brave

In the Old Man's case, the BH DTL at MP in 4th set TB in W 2008 would be where he made his luck a bit more shiny.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:11 pm

I was hopeless at luck-work at school. Never did manage to make any of my own.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:21 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I was hopeless at luck-work at school. Never did manage to make any of my own.

Well you were not brave enough then.. all those beatings you took behind the bicycle sheds  boxing Should have handed over your dinner money.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next