The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather vs Maidana 2

+11
Hammersmith harrier
TopHat24/7
Gerry SA
kingraf
Dipper Brown
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
ONETWOFOREVER
AdamT
hampo17
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mayweather vs Maidana 2 - Page 2 Empty Mayweather vs Maidana 2

Post by hampo17 Tue 01 Jul 2014, 1:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just watched some footage during which Floyd says this is happening in September followed by a big surprise in May.

Excited or dissapointed by the rematch?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Maidana 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Mayweather vs Maidana 2

Post by AdamT Tue 01 Jul 2014, 3:54 pm

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Junior Jones thumped Barrera twice.......Before Manny

Is he ahead too..

You're full of s**t you really are....................Hagler beat Duran a lightweight and Hearns a super welter his only greats...Only Hearns was a great win and he'd never fought at the weight before ........Yet you have him above Mayweather...

Mayweather beat 5 current p4pers at the time.....JMM, Oscar, Hatton being three...

Your arguments don't stack up..............

Mayweather has beaten more greats than hagler...Yet you use that argument to put Manny higher..

Full of sh** for having an opinion?

Hagler beat a pair of great fighters in great form. The knock against both wins is that Duran and Hearns were above their best weights (however, both went on to have sucess at 160). He also put in one of the great championship reigns of all time and took on all comers one after another. He never ducked anyone.

Mayweather hasn't beaten a great fighter in great form. Castillo and Corrales were fine fighters but weren't in the same league as Duran and Hearns.

Good point but Duran was long past his best when Hagler beat him (barley) and Duran was much smaller naturally. If you count Duran for Hagler then you would also have to count Mosley for Floyd. Or even Jmm.

Duran was in rude form the night he faced Hagler -- a masterful performance. Plainly different scenario to facing a shot Shane Mosley.

Shane didn't look shot when he knocked the s**t out of Margarito. Don't get me wrong, Duran is a better fighter than Shane and better than anyone Floyd has faced but he is a lot smaller than Hagler and wasn't in his natural weight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 01 Jul 2014, 3:57 pm

AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Is he ahead too..

You're full of s**t you really are....................Hagler beat Duran a lightweight and Hearns a super welter his only greats...Only Hearns was a great win and he'd never fought at the weight before ........Yet you have him above Mayweather...

Mayweather beat 5 current p4pers at the time.....JMM, Oscar, Hatton being three...

Mayweather has beaten more greats than hagler...Yet you use that argument to put Manny higher..

Hagler beat a pair of great fighters in great form. The knock against both wins is that Duran and Hearns were above their best weights (however, both went on to have sucess at 160). He also put in one of the great championship reigns of all time and took on all comers one after another. He never ducked anyone.

Mayweather hasn't beaten a great fighter in great form. Castillo and Corrales were fine fighters but weren't in the same league as Duran and Hearns.

Good point but Duran was long past his best when Hagler beat him (barley) and Duran was much smaller naturally. If you count Duran for Hagler then you would also have to count Mosley for Floyd. Or even Jmm.

Duran was in rude form the night he faced Hagler -- a masterful performance. Plainly different scenario to facing a shot Shane Mosley.

Shane didn't look shot when he knocked the s**t out of Margarito. Don't get me wrong, Duran is a better fighter than Shane and better than anyone Floyd has faced but he is a lot smaller than Hagler and wasn't in his natural weight.

He was shot against Floyd, though (a fight it should be noted fought under more stringent testing protocols). Plus, Margarito had been busted pre-fight. Perhaps he wasn't the same hitter he'd been against Cotto and Williams?

I agree. Duran wasn't a middleweight but he was one of the greatest fighters of all time who could compensate for size with skills and nous.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 01 Jul 2014, 4:04 pm

As he did against Simms and Laing, a good name to have on your record but no great middleweight should be struggling the way Hagler did against a former lightweight even one as great as Duran.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 01 Jul 2014, 4:20 pm

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Is he ahead too..

He was shot against Floyd, though (a fight it should be noted fought under more stringent testing protocols). Plus, Margarito had been busted pre-fight. Perhaps he wasn't the same hitter he'd been against Cotto and Williams?

I agree. Duran wasn't a middleweight but he was one of the greatest fighters of all time who could compensate for size with skills and nous.

Duran was certainly one of the best ever, can at least agree with you there. Rate him higher than Hagler and Floyd to be honest. My favourite fighter.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 01 Jul 2014, 5:59 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:As he did against Simms and Laing, a good name to have on your record but no great middleweight should be struggling the way Hagler did against a former lightweight even one as great as Duran.

Duran was inspired that night. He'd have given any middleweight from history a fight in that form.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 01 Jul 2014, 6:08 pm

I disagree Haz because I don't think many of the top middleweights would have let him perform the way Hagler let him.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 01 Jul 2014, 6:09 pm

Thought Castillo beat Mayweather in the first fight by a couple of rounds. Maidana v May was down to a razor wire for me.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 01 Jul 2014, 6:12 pm

AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Is he ahead too..

Duran was certainly one of the best ever, can at least agree with you there. Rate him higher than Hagler and Floyd to be honest. My favourite fighter.

Duran and Ali are the greatest fighters from the modern era.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 01 Jul 2014, 6:26 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I disagree Haz because I don't think many of the top middleweights would have let him perform the way Hagler let him.

Ridiculously simplistic to assume Hagler let him fight how he wanted to (same nonsense as Leonard "letting" him fight his fight). Duran surprised everyone by boxing and countering rather than fighting and Hagler struggled to land clean on him. In rude form after whupping Cuevas and Moore this was a masterful display from a veteran great (of some 80 contests).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 01 Jul 2014, 6:41 pm

But a lightweight nonetheless Haz, beating Cuevas and Moore doesn't constitute rude form, a pair of decent wins prior to which he'd looked poor against Laing and got comprehensively outboxed by Benitez. Duran was a once great lightweight who'd stepped up to pull off the single greatest win in boxing history but anything other than decent he was not at middleweight. Neither Monzon or Hopkins struggle with him whether he's in apparent rude form or not.

Before you say otherwise i've watched almost every single Duran fight on film so no need for the expected Boxrec accusation.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 01 Jul 2014, 6:48 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:But a lightweight nonetheless Haz, beating Cuevas and Moore doesn't constitute rude form, a pair of decent wins prior to which he'd looked poor against Laing and got comprehensively outboxed by Benitez. Duran was a once great lightweight who'd stepped up to pull off the single greatest win in boxing history but anything other than decent he was not at middleweight. Neither Monzon or Hopkins struggle with him whether he's in apparent rude form or not.

Before you say otherwise i've watched almost every single Duran fight on film so no need for the expected Boxrec accusation.

He was in fine form after looking finished against Jimmy Batten. He was Duran again fleetingly. While his form as a middleweight overall was just so, his performance against Hagler was sensational.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 02 Jul 2014, 10:02 am

Not bothered about this rematch happening but I wouldnt hold out any hope of Mayweather going after a tougher opponent. It beats rematching Guerrero or Ortiz I guess.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 02 Jul 2014, 5:52 pm

Really up for this rematch, and I think it'll slowly build into a massive fight. The first fight was the best mayweather fight ive seen in realtime. The shock factor of the first round was worth getting up at stupid o clock for.

I really can't see an argument against it. The margins were wafer thin, and he got hit clean a lot. Mosley was the last person to catch him clean. Way prefer it over Cotto at middleweight, which for my money would have been the cop out / cash in fight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 03 Jul 2014, 11:41 am

Very pleased if this is true. I cant believe people are disappointed for a rematch where Floyd had one of his toughest fights?!?

Sure he may figure him out early this time but that's what is intriguing.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2