The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

+10
ShahenshahG
Galted
Mind the windows Tino.
Union Cane
rIck_dAgless
seanmichaels
superflyweight
kingraf
JuliusHMarx
Rowley
14 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 5 Empty The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by Rowley Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:26 am

First topic message reminder :

May be an age thing, but is Sean seriously saying he talks to people with his testicles out to see how long they take to notice? And that doing so is a laugh?

Never thought I would say this, but bring back National Service if so.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 5 Empty Re: The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:40 pm

Union Cane wrote:For me it is all to do with the first chap and his "act of making the catch".

As defined above the act continues until he is in control of his own movement. As he fell over after flicking the ball back he was not in control, so he was clearly in contact with the ground before completing the act of making the catch.

6 runs.

See, that's just you, Union. Always trying to find reason and logic in things. You could make a list about it.

I just see it for what it was. A truly outstanding piece of skill and athleticism that deserves more than being dissected by reverse lineal minds like yours. The fact that the same two players have pulled this off once already this season makes it even more special. It was no fluke.

It was a piece of magic. A piece of sporting theatre that exists above the confines of rules and guidelines. The umpires are there to apply the rules. They decided it was legitimate, so no maximum. He was out.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 5 Empty Re: The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by Galted Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:14 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Spoiler:

Isn't Galted's missus from Russia?

It's not her.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:15 am

Tried some aniseed imperials on Monday and Tuesday. An excellent sweet for sucking, I especially enjoyed when they became brittle and crumbled at the slightest tooth pressure.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:00 am

On the subject of sporting prowess, and Jules may be able to help with this one, did Amelie Mauresmo ever achieve a semi at Wimbledon?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:25 am

Let's just say that she achieved more than you did.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:27 am

Galted wrote:Tried some aniseed imperials on Monday and Tuesday.  An excellent sweet for sucking, I especially enjoyed when they became brittle and crumbled at the slightest tooth pressure.

Is that just a fancy southern name for aniseed balls? Round my way we simply call 'balls' 'balls'.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:38 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Let's just say that she achieved more than you did.

Who rattled your cage? Good morning by the way.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:41 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:Tried some aniseed imperials on Monday and Tuesday.  An excellent sweet for sucking, I especially enjoyed when they became brittle and crumbled at the slightest tooth pressure.

Is that just a fancy southern name for aniseed balls? Round my way we simply call 'balls' 'balls'.

Where is your 'way', Jules? No SLW stuff, just had you down as southern landed gentry.

Are you north of Birmingham?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:45 am

In between B'ham and Coventry.
What's SLW?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:48 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:In between B'ham and Coventry.
What's SLW?

That rather hurtful acronym that some people on here call me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:51 am

What's SLW?

Stalkerish little winker.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:52 am

seanmichaels wrote:
What's SLW?

Yeah, that's the one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:53 am

seanmichaels wrote:
What's SLW?

Yeah, that's the one.

I have an impression of Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire as a bit soulless. Neither here nor there. Am I right?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:57 am

What's SLW?

Nuneaton way? I used to live in that neck of the woods in my youth.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:04 am

Nuneaton is more between Coventry & Leicester.

I live in permanent political asylum at Birmingham Airport.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:06 am

seanmichaels wrote:

I have an impression of Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire as a bit soulless. Neither here nor there. Am I right?

No idea about Bucks. I live right on the north border of Hertfordshire. Some of the countryside is stunning but your impression is correct, it is a little soulless. Lots of commuter types (yes, I know I am one myself) so society isn't that important to them. I live in a village though so it isn't too bad as community is still important in villages. They think we are a bit weird though as I am northern and Mrs Windows is foreign. I have lost count of the amount of times the little old ladies ask what part of America she is from. She gets wound up and I laugh!

I miss the north west though and want to go back. It's an old cliche but the people are friendlier up there and although my part of it is a bit industrial, it's full of good people.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:07 am

I went to Coventry once. Didn't intend to, I was trying to get home from Warwick or Stratford or somewhere. Fun times.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:15 am

seanmichaels wrote:

No idea about Bucks.  I live right on the north border of Hertfordshire.  Some of the countryside is stunning but your impression is correct, it is a little soulless.  Lots of commuter types (yes, I know I am one myself) so society isn't that important to them.  I live in a village though so it isn't too bad as community is still important in villages.  They think we are a bit weird though as I am northern and Mrs Windows is foreign.  I have lost count of the amount of times the little old ladies ask what part of America she is from.  She gets wound up and I laugh!

I miss the north west though and want to go back.  It's an old cliche but the people are friendlier up there and although my part of it is a bit industrial, it's full of good people.

I lose track of these things - is she Canadian?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:16 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

No idea about Bucks.  I live right on the north border of Hertfordshire.  Some of the countryside is stunning but your impression is correct, it is a little soulless.  Lots of commuter types (yes, I know I am one myself) so society isn't that important to them.  I live in a village though so it isn't too bad as community is still important in villages.  They think we are a bit weird though as I am northern and Mrs Windows is foreign.  I have lost count of the amount of times the little old ladies ask what part of America she is from.  She gets wound up and I laugh!

I miss the north west though and want to go back.  It's an old cliche but the people are friendlier up there and although my part of it is a bit industrial, it's full of good people.

I lose track of these things - is she Canadian?

Yep.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:17 am

What part of America is she from?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 am

Sorry, Canada.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:18 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:What part of America is she from?

Alaska.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:19 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:What part of America is she from?

Alaska.  

No, she wanted to!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:22 am

I was going to take the missus to the home of Usain Bolt but she didn't want to go.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:22 am

Rowley wrote:
What's SLW?

Nuneaton way? I used to live in that neck of the woods in my youth.

Had a bird from RLS... Royal Leamington Spa. Nice little town. Stayed with her family over the Christmas/NY. They were lovely people.

She loved taking me to Banbury (for a fox hunt where they used 4WDs... which I thought was a bit unfair) and Moreton Morell for some reason. Apparently MM is the geographic centre of England or GB. Can't remember which. There's also the oldest Real (or is it Royal, Jules?) Tennis court there.

Her family were fanatical real tennis players. Her old man was a bit of a swinger I think. When I had to go back to London he jumped up and said "I'll give you a lift". I had a feeling he had some mistress in town - who had digs not far from the "Club" where he told his wife he would be hanging out near Marylebone.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:23 am

Rubbish - I'm having Nunavut.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:25 am

It's both Real and Royal LB, as in Real Madrid.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:26 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:It's both Real and Royal LB, as in Real Madrid.

Thought so.

Congrats on your 10,500th post by the way.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:35 am

seanmichaels wrote:

If it wasn't for the cricket club I'd probably move westwards. Maybe Wiltshire. Bit backward but you can get a nice stone cottage and land for £200k.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:37 am

Anyway Tino, what part of Canada is she from?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:42 am

So, Michaels, what is your take on the cricket catch controversy? Are the rules of the game there to be applied at all times, or should they be discarded if someone does something a bit flashy?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:44 am

Union Cane wrote:So, Michaels, what is your take on the cricket catch controversy? Are the rules of the game there to be applied at all times, or should they be discarded if someone does something a bit flashy?

I bet you buy TIMC really practical things for Christmas don't you?

I bet you buy her an imaginary frying pan set or an imaginary set of oven gloves.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Anyway Tino, what part of Canada is she from?

Country girl from Saskatchewan. Right in the heartlands.

You lived in Canada didn't you?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:50 am

Yes I did, nowhere near there. Although I did pass through it on a childhood three-day train journey from Ontario to Vancouver (and presumably on the way back as well).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:50 am

Union Cane wrote:So, Michaels, what is your take on the cricket catch controversy? Are the rules of the game there to be applied at all times, or should they be discarded if someone does something a bit flashy?

I bet you buy TIMC really practical things for Christmas don't you?

I bet you buy her an imaginary frying pan set or an imaginary set of oven gloves.

I have a list on my computer of what I bought her for Christmases (query - Chritmasi ?) 2012 through 2013, and neither of those things appear.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 am

I used to live in St Johns in New Brunswick...

Can not remember too much about it but it was bloody cold.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:52 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:Yes I did, nowhere near there. Although I did pass through it on a childhood three-day train journey from Ontario to Vancouver (and presumably on the way back as well).

Not much there unless you like shooting things and fishing. Flipping cold in the winter.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:55 am

People used to drive across the lake in winter.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:57 am

Tino is right. I think it is fair enough, same applies in Rugby.

In cricket you can have local rules as well. At our place some of the trees hang over the pitch. If the ball clips a leaf then is caught within the boundary it is 6.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:58 am

Tosspot.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:07 am

In a desperate moment, I've just read the cricket law that Union posted, and apart from a deep shame, I feel that the catch was within the law as stated.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:08 am

Just before I batted last saturday one of their Indians dived to stop a ball at the boundary. He did prevent the ball from crossing the rope but his legs were well over the boundary. Cheating b'stard didn't signal even though I'd told the umpires that one of our fielders had crossed the line in their innings. When I was out about 15 mins later he was celebrating in my path so I dropped the shoulder on him on my way back. They kicked off royally.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:People used to drive across the lake in winter.

Her parents have moved to Ottawa now and the canal freezes in winter. All the kids in the city go staking on it, it's great fun. Canada is an awesome place if you like open spaces and can live with the extremes of temperature.

I am a constant source of disappointment to my father in law as I have never landed a massive salmon or shot a living thing. Clay pigeons just don't cut it with him.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:14 am

You've missed the crucial point Sean, as he dived (spectacularly one would presume?), the usual rules don't apply.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:16 am

I am a constant source of disappointment to my father in law as I have never landed a massive salmon or shot a living thing.  Clay pigeons just don't cut it with him.

Can you not go out with top hat one weekend. Surely bagging a poor person would impress the old boy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:17 am

Rowley wrote:

Can you not go out with top hat one weekend.

I'd rather have herpes again.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:28 am

Union Cane wrote:You've missed the crucial point Sean, as he dived (spectacularly one would presume?), the usual rules don't apply.

He was in contact with the ball whilst a part of his body was over the line. Either the ball, or a body part touching the ball needs to touch the ground beyond the rope for it to be a 4 or 6.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 am

I am a constant source of disappointment to my father in law as I have never landed a massive salmon or shot a living thing.  Clay pigeons just don't cut it with him.

I suspect he'd prefer Galted as a son. At least he looks the part.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:32 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am a constant source of disappointment.

Yes, Tino, yes you are.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:34 am

seanmichaels wrote:

I suspect he'd prefer Galted as a son. At least he looks the part.

I very much doubt it. Galted is probably the only person on here less likely to have killed a wild animal than me.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next