The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 11 - Men's Semi Finals

+17
naxroy
CaledonianCraig
Gerry SA
banbrotam
invisiblecoolers
The Special Juan
kingraf
FedsFan
sirfredperry
Jahu
bogbrush
Silver
summerblues
reckoner
88Chris05
AFCWomble42
HM Murdock
21 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Men's Semi Finals Empty Wimbledon Day 11 - Men's Semi Finals

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 8:36 am

Well folks here it is. We are down to the nitty gritty. Is it a time for new hero's? Or will the old guard starve off the new breed?

Djokovic in his 5th Wimbledon semi final. Federer in his 8th.

Dimitrov and Raonic in their first Slam semi finals respectively.

If we go by the H2H we should expect another Federer and Djokovic final. However, it's a Slam and anything can happen.

I actually have the day off, so take that work! Can't wait for some stonking tennis action!

Last edited by legendkillarV2 on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Men's Semi Finals Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11 - Men's Semi Finals

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 8:41 am

As promised. Trivia.

If Federer goes on to win Wimbledon, he will become only the 5th man in the Open Era to win 2 or more Slams over the age of 30.

Can you name the 4 men who have done this?

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 11 - Men's Semi Finals Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 11 - Men's Semi Finals

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 8:48 am

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/28154057

Very interesting take on things.

Are the big 4 done for?

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:10 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:As promised. Trivia.

If Federer goes on to win Wimbledon, he will become only the 5th man in the Open Era to win 2 or more Slams over the age of 30.

Agassi and Rosewall are two of them, I believe?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:16 am

HM Murdoch wrote:

That is indeed correct clap

Back to top Go down

Post by AFCWomble42 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:18 am

I don't think for a moment that the big 4 are "done", if by that it is meant will not win another slam between them, but I don't suppose they are going to be as dominant as they have been and there will be other slam winners sprinkled about.

So Roger has never failed to make the Wimbledon final, having made the SF. Actually, LK, it must be his 9th...2003-2007 (winner), 2008 (lost to Rafa), 2009 (winner) and 2012 (winner).

AFCWomble42

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:24 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Laver (was 31 in 1969, wasn't he?) and Connors (30 and 31 respectively for his US Open wins in 1982 and 1983?) being the other two, I think?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:34 am

88Chris05 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Laver (was 31 in 1969, wasn't he?) and Connors (30 and 31 respectively for his US Open wins in 1982 and 1983?) being the other two, I think?

Also correct clap

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:51 am

Hope you keep those of us stuck at work posted lkv2 - enjoy the tennis!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:57 am

I will indeed buddy. It's good to see you back Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 9:59 am

Thanks lkv2! Hope you've been keeping well?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:11 am

Things are going well thanks reckoner. Smile

How are things with you?

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:21 am

It is a holiday in my neck of the woods, and my wife is meeting friends, so plenty of time to watch sports today.

Good luck to Roger and to Grigor.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:23 am

I hope you guys aren't going to sacrifice Wimbledon for the World Cup!! mad

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:Things are going well thanks reckoner. Smile

How are things with you?

All good on my side, done a bit of travelling (just Europe) and finished my degree.

Bit torn between Brazil v Columbia and Fed v Raonic tonight... first world problems!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:25 am

It's the game of the tournament tonight... though with my luck it'll be 0-0 AET

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:30 am

LK, sorry to disappoint. I am not missing Germany vs France at World Cup, not even for Roger at Wimbledon. At most, I may be checking the scores on my phone.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:32 am

Marooned at work teaching the kiddies today, but hopefully we'll see two competitive matches out there!

Happy 4th, SB Wink

I did the same after my degree, reckoner. Whereabouts did you go in Europe?

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:35 am

World Cup bores me senseless. I'll check the scores.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:43 am

Silver wrote:Marooned at work teaching the kiddies today, but hopefully we'll see two competitive matches out there!

Happy 4th, SB Wink

I did the same after my degree, reckoner. Whereabouts did you go in Europe?

Barcelona, Berlin, Oslo, Prague and a road trip from Seville to Malaga. Another trip coming up from Budapest to Krakow through Slovakia. Wish I had the time to do a proper round the world thing!

Where did you go after your degree?

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:46 am

bogbrush wrote:World Cup bores me senseless. I'll check the scores.

I got drawn in watching the smaller sides - it's been a higher standard of play than usual.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 04 Jul 2014, 10:56 am

Thanks Silver.

I am not American, so I "enjoy" this holiday more than I "celebrate" it. The timing is good though in relation to Wimbledon, particularly so this year.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:00 am

Fair enough BB.

I normally prefer tennis to soccer; World Cup time is the only exception. But, at the same time, it is a very clear exception - I would watch a good QF stage match over any Wimbledon final, no matter how exciting.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:08 am

I wouldn't trade Wimbledon for the World Cup!!

Sacrilege!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:10 am

Unless you're a Frenchman or a German I really don't understand how you can choose the football over the Wimbledon semi's - when your favourite player is playing.

Watching 22 virtually anonymous guys kick a ball around (I say virtually anonymous because unless you follow European/world football as closely as you follow tennis, which would be hard to do as there are so many teams and players, you're unlikely to know the majority of the players all that well) would most definitely not hold the same level of interest as watching my favourite individual sportsman.

I mean I really couldn't care less if Germany or France won. Or even England for that matter  Very Happy 

Anyway, in short, I'm really disappointed in you SB. You were one of the few minions who was getting closer to potential disciplehood. But now you have ruined your chances for this year's entry.

You will be relegated to the waiting list for potential potential disciplehood.

I may reconsider your position in 12 months time if you prove yourself worthy. As it stands you are in a very precarious situation.

Ye have been warned.

ghost 

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:12 am

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:14 am

Oh and also, in general, the world cup usually produces stale, boring matches lacking in quality - at least until the quarters. Then things can get a bit more interesting.

Admittedly, this world cup has been an exception - but that is still no excuse SB  warning 

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:14 am

Hang on so it's France vs Germany conflicting with Fed v Raonic?

No worries then, screw the footie!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:16 am

I suppose the ideal setup would be

TV (tennis)
Laptop (world cup)
Tablet (other)
Phone (forums)

Add Google Glass for Bouchard slo mo replays and you're sorted!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

Exactly!

Germany v France

Or Federer v Raonic?

My mind is made up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

I went interrailing reckoner, spent 6 weeks travelling Germany, Denmark, Poland, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Slovenia. Looks like we overlapped a bit! Your upcoming trip sounds great, too. I guess it's the right time to do it...while the time is there!

reckoner wrote:Add Google Glass for Bouchard slo mo replays and you're sorted!

Laugh

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:24 am

I watch on TV the W, then a small window on TV (called PiP, picture in picture) shows Footie. 606v2 on me phone.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:26 am

Can google glass show 007 style x-ray on Bouchard Whistle
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:35 am

Silver wrote:I went interrailing reckoner, spent 6 weeks travelling Germany, Denmark, Poland, Switzerland, Czech Republic and Slovenia. Looks like we overlapped a bit! Your upcoming trip sounds great, too. I guess it's the right time to do it...while the time is there!

reckoner wrote:Add Google Glass for Bouchard slo mo replays and you're sorted!

Laugh

Smile

Denmark's on my list, but Oslo was so ridiculously expensive for beer, it's put me off...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:41 am

Oh eman,

I feel horrible for having disrupted the balance of the Universe and lucky to even be considered for future disciplehood after today.

I realize I am not worthy for next year's disciplehood, or the one after that but maybe, just maybe, I can change my ways over the next four years and prove myself worthy of disciplehood then.

My aim will be - come next World Cup - to choose a Ferrer vs Granollers 1st round Kitzbuhel match over Brazil vs Netherlands WC final.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:44 am

"Or will the old guard starve off the new breed?"

Ah LKV2, that's Rog and Djoko's tactics, then -deny their opponents food and drink.

Seriously though, I think that the old guard will have too much for the new breed. Certainly it would be a surprise if BOTH Djoko and Fed lost. Which of the big two is more vulnerable? Probably Fed, in that I don't expect Dimi's performance to be so good against Nole as it was against a dispirited Andy M.
Raonic and Dimitrov are clearly confident and have certainly talked a good game. But it's a big stage today for both of them.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:47 am

Watching Madonnas Like a Virgin on VH1 makes me want to be a virgin again!

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 11:51 am

Jahu wrote:Can google glass show 007 style x-ray on Bouchard Whistle

Only a matter of time before this is a full on feature...

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:01 pm

Am I alone in applauding this young ladies choice of dress but despairing at her embracing of this eras dispiriting tendency towards 'pants' style undies rather than proper flirty knickers? More work could be done up top too, without sacrificing essential control.

Chrissie Evert should be taken onto her entourage as dress consultant, then my sons could understand what I mean when I see her on TV.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:25 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Am I alone in applauding this young ladies choice of dress but despairing at her embracing of this eras dispiriting tendency towards 'pants' style undies rather than proper flirty knickers? More work could be done up top too, without sacrificing essential control.

Chrissie Evert should be taken onto her entourage as dress consultant, then my sons could understand what I mean when I see her on TV.
It's a fine line to tread.

One or two careless comments on my part during Ms Bouchard's matches have incurred Mrs Murdoch's raised eyebrow of suspicion.

She nevertheless accepts that, on the balance of probability, I'm watching predominantly for the tennis.

Any return to the undergarment approach of Chrissie Evert will cast this conclusion under serious doubt... not least because my main motivation for watching may indeed no longer be the tennis!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:27 pm

Having read a lot of posts on the build up to the MS SF, a lot of people including those on Today at Wimbledon seem to have taken it for granted Federer will make the final and the focus seems to be on Novak vs Grigor. I think Fed vs Raonic is going to be the hard fought one. I for one am very nervous for Roger as he is going into this match with enormous pressure. Also, people are going on how he has never lost a Wimby SF, he knows he may not have another chance as good as this for a while so I hope he will not crumble.

Raonic has always pushed him in their matches and thats when the guy was not playing as well as he is now. I am hoping Fed's bad match was vs Stan and that he will be focused this time round. A plus for him is it may be cooler later on.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:39 pm

bogbrush wrote:

Chrissie Evert was a bit before my time, clearly extensive research into this pressing matter is called for.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:39 pm

FedsFan, agree that Fed could easily lose.  But I think it will largely depend on his level of play.  If he plays well - i.e., something close to what 33 year old Fed is capable of playing - I still think he will win against Rao.  As much as Rao has improved (and I admit to being impressed with him this year), I only see him winning if Fed is subpar.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:40 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

One or two careless comments on my part during Ms Bouchard's matches have incurred Mrs Murdoch's raised eyebrow of suspicion.

She nevertheless accepts that, on the balance of probability, I'm watching predominantly for the tennis.

Any return to the undergarment approach of Chrissie Evert will cast this conclusion under serious doubt... not least because my main motivation for watching may indeed no longer be the tennis!
Congratulations, I fear I may already have been rumbled by Mrs B. Yesterday she appeared to  closely supervise my viewing of the "match" Sad A few too many "this girls really good" comments might have aroused suspicion.

She also slightly sided against her and said she "hadn't decided about her". Some ground for me to recover I think.

Last edited by bogbrush on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:41 pm

Also, I think Stan played very well in the first two sets - likely better than Raonic can play - yet Fed still managed to win one of those two sets.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm

I think we should start our own Genie Army! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:58 pm

bogbrush wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Congratulations, I fear I may already have been rumbled by Mrs B. Yesterday she appeared to  closely supervise my viewing of the "match" Sad A few too many "this girls really good" comments might have aroused suspicion.

She also slightly sided against her and said she "hadn't decided about her". Some ground for me to recover I think.

I told my better half "she's quite fit, isn't she?" and she agreed. Or at least didn't disagree.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:58 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:I think we should start our own Genie Army! Wink

I am in!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Fri 04 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm

summerblues wrote:FedsFan, agree that Fed could easily lose.  But I think it will largely depend on his level of play.  If he plays well - i.e., something close to what 33 year old Fed is capable of playing - I still think he will win against Rao.  As much as Rao has improved (and I admit to being impressed with him this year), I only see him winning if Fed is subpar.

If everything clicks and the old man's back holds up he'll raise his level enough to get past Raonic, maybe dropping a set while he works out the serve. In his pomp players like Raonic were Fed's bread and butter so one hopes the muscle memory remains.

However there are no certainties at this point in Fed's career so I'll be watching with trepidation, hoping he can pull out of his 5 year decline for a final hurrah.

I'll knit him a ****ing cardie if he makes it! (N.B. will have to learn to knit first.)

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 04 Jul 2014, 1:04 pm

reckoner wrote:
I told my better half "she's quite fit, isn't she?" and she agreed. Or at least didn't disagree.
Ah, the bravery of youth!

Interesting if your better half were to enthusiastically agree. I vote we stop the tennis and consider that idea.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next