The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

+10
JuliusHMarx
Union Cane
Rowley
Pal Joey
kingraf
rIck_dAgless
superflyweight
88Chris05
Hibbz
ShahenshahG
14 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 7 Empty The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by Union Cane Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

5. civic
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 7 Empty Re: The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:18 am

superflyweight wrote:Fist.  

Not a bank holiday in Scotland, so suspect I'm going to be on my own all day today guessing which of you was Richard Attenborough.  Most obvious answer is Jules, but I'm leaning towards sean at the moment.  

For a while I thought I was indeed Richard Attenborough, but when I woke up this morning I figured I probably wasn't.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 7 Empty Re: The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by superflyweight Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:23 am

Sorry to hear that, Jules.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:27 am

superflyweight wrote:Every day is a holiday in Sydney, LB.  

Relieved that you're not dear old Dickie.  

Deffo.

It's quite unnerving when you hear the news
"So-and-so................ legendary actor................ star of many films..................has died"

compared to:
"So-and-so............. legendary actor........... star of many films..........has just auctioned off the famous suit he wore in "Bandingo".... to a favourite charity of his in Wales"

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:28 pm

I went to the BBC Proms last night on account of how monstrously f*cking cultured I am. Was in the gallery which is a triple bonus as a) you can pitch up on the day and queue b) it's only a fiver and c) you can lie on your back while you listen without being on the receiving end of snotty glances.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Did you wear your Prom dress?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 pm

I did but one of the other boys was wearing the same one. It was most embarrassing.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Was just watching Two Tribes, one of the questions was "What was the stage name of actor Julius H Marx".

Quite surreal, a bit like when I watch Rocky 5.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Union Cane wrote:Was just watching Two Tribes, one of the questions was "What was the stage name of actor Julius H Marx".

Quite surreal, a bit like when I watch Rocky 5.

Did you get it right? For each question on Two Tribes, a point is all that you can score.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:14 pm

My "prom" was nightmare. I did manage to Monica Lewinsky on my date's gown though.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Read my drips...

So, you are back from Singapore, mate?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:44 pm

Flying back via Madrid in a few hours. I'm a horrible traveller. Insomnia drives me insane. Hoping to convince some family to meet me for some coffee in madrileño. Given the fact that both my sisters where born there, it's remarkable how little time I spend there myself. Anyway, good enough tour, we won 4/5, I got back to back fifties on Friday and Saturday, and bought my girl some jewelry. Miss home though.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:59 am

Nice to have your sisters in Spain. Maybe go over there one day and get a TV/Media job?
You'd probably meet a nice woman along the way.

God it's wet here. Just watching some debris from the ripped up driveway wash down the hill into the next suburb. Some of it going down the drain.
I think I probably should have asked the builders to put up the erosion barriers along the boundary line. Too late now!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:36 am

Rained here all day yesterday and we thankfuly bottled the fishing trip. Got hoaxed in to a trip to IKEA instead. Horrendous place. They dekliberately get you lost - even the chap directing matters sent me the wrong way. All part of a ploy to extract as much cash as possible.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:12 am

Galted wrote:I went to the BBC Proms last night on account of how monstrously f*cking cultured I am.  Was in the gallery which is a triple bonus as a) you can pitch up on the day and queue b) it's only a fiver and c) you can lie on your back while you listen without being on the receiving end of snotty glances.

At the risk of taken the Cultural Cup to unprecedented giddy heights of culture, I've had some lovely evenings watching the Proms on TV this year. Highlights so far have been Beethoven's 6th Symphony (the Pastoral), Dvorak's Violin Concerto and Mozart's Requiem.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:20 am

I went to the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago to see Messiah. It was alright. Would have rather seen the Dr Who proms.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:24 am

seanmichaels wrote:Rained here all day yesterday and we thankfuly bottled the fishing trip. Got hoaxed in to a trip to IKEA instead. Horrendous place. They dekliberately get you lost - even the chap directing matters sent me the wrong way. All part of a ploy to extract as much cash as possible.

They draw arrows on the floor Sean. How much easier do you want them to make it?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 am

I watched University challenge last night. That is very cultural. Sarah Legrand from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine would definitely get it.  Presumably it would be well kept and fresh down there as well.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:30 am

Keep the result to yourself Sean, recorded it, but have not watched it yet.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:36 am

Rowley wrote:Keep the result to yourself Sean, recorded it, but have not watched it yet.

Will do. Missus beat me 4-3.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:49 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:Keep the result to yourself Sean, recorded it, but have not watched it yet.

TSMR would literally never beat me at University Challenge, intellectually she is not in my league.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:00 am

Rowley wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

TSMR would literally never beat me at University Challenge, intellectually she is not in my league.

If she goes before you, Jeff, you should stick that on her headstone.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:04 am

Given our respective lifestyles the chances of her going before me are somewhat slim.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:06 am

I tend to pick up ponits in Science Geography Sport Popular music categories. She gets arty ones which comprise 70% of the questions usually. Nota true reflection of intelligence.

Re the arrows, you really believe they take you the quickest route? It is a scam to take you passed sections that you would never ever dream of visitng. I came away with 3 packets of candles and 2 metal bins yesterday. I only went there to swap a sink, sink cabinet and mirror unit.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:16 am

seanmichaels wrote:I tend to pick up ponits in Science Geography Sport Popular music categories. She gets arty ones which comprise 70% of the questions usually. Nota true reflection of intelligence.

Re the arrows, you really believe they take you the quickest route? It is a scam to take you passed sections that you would never ever dream of visitng. I came away with 3 packets of candles and 2 metal bins yesterday. I only went there to swap a sink, sink cabinet and mirror unit.

It's a true reflection of intellectual snobbery. I'm brilliant at it.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:38 am

I have stock answers, if I don't know a poetry question I go with Ezra Pound, for art it is Caravaggio. They both serve me quite well.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:45 am

For classical music I tend to go with Penderecki as a stock answer. It's a pleasing name to say and obscure enough that only the most knowledgeable would be able to point out how bad an answer it is.

Peter Bruegel the Younger is also a good one when the painting is obviously not Italian Renaissance.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:04 am

Rowley wrote:I have stock answers, if I don't know a poetry question I go with Ezra Pound, for art it is Caravaggio. They both serve me quite well.

Missus blurts out Monet / Manet at least 5 times each per episode.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Need to brighten up the day. Let's start guessing how Tina eventually met his maker.

I'm going for accidental self-strangulation while trying to remove one of his crap jumpers during a vigorous w@nk.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 pm

superflyweight wrote:Need to brighten up the day.  Let's start guessing how Tina eventually met his maker.  

I'm going for accidental self-strangulation while trying to remove one of his crap jumpers during a vigorous w@nk.  

Will be hard to beat that one.
Maybe his new baby head-butted him to death.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:18 pm

I reckon he suffered a Steve Irwin-esque fate. I'm going for a centipede crawling up his hampton causing an internal blockage / poisoning from within.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:25 pm

Heart attack caused by a moderate sized caterpillar crawling across his foot.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:41 pm

I think I'll leave instructions for when I die so that my missus will come on here to let you know. I don't like the uncertainty.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:43 pm

She can treat it like a dating site.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:08 pm

True, although obviously I'd pre-warn her off all the losers. So basically Jeff would be the only option.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 pm

If Jeff dies can I be next in line?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:15 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:True, although obviously I'd pre-warn her off all the losers. So basically Jeff would be the only option.

That is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:39 pm

I'd like to think I'm qualified to 'look after' the more mature lady.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Rowley, what is more annoying, the use of textspeak or the ice bucket challenge?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:14 pm

That's a good question, sean. I'd have to say the ice bucket challenge.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:21 pm

I am going to have to go with the use of text speak. At least the ice bucket challenge makes money for a worthy cause. The use of text speak just hastens the speed with which the world is doomed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:21 pm

On the subject of the ice bucket challenge have any of us been nominated yet? TSMR was nominated last night but is almost certain not to do it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Rowley wrote:I am going to have to go with the use of text speak. At least the ice bucket challenge makes money for a worthy cause. The use of text speak just hastens the speed with which the world is doomed.

I h8 it 2.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:26 pm

L*L m8

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Rowley wrote:On the subject of the ice bucket challenge have any of us been nominated yet? TSMR was nominated last night but is almost certain not to do it.

No. I was just talking with a few cricket mates about it. We think you should nominate people to go up to a random bald bloke in the street and slap (or pschhht as we call it) him on his bald patch (making the pschhtt sound while you do it). Much less contrived and infinitely more funny. That or a golden shower.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Rowley wrote:On the subject of the ice bucket challenge have any of us been nominated yet? TSMR was nominated last night but is almost certain not to do it.

No. Wife's family have all done it and they were threatening to nominate me, but my wife told them not to waste the nomination as I'd been so vehemently against the entire concept.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 pm

I am in a similar position superfly. People at work are threatening to nominate me, knowing damned well I will not do it, just gives them yet another excuse to accuse me of being miserable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:00 pm

Rowley wrote:I am in a similar position superfly. People at work are threatening to nominate me, knowing damned well I will not do it, just gives them yet another excuse to accuse me of being miserable.

You are miserable. I didn't think you were on Facebook though?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:02 pm

My wife's sister started to ask why I was against it, but she was quickly warned off by my wife.  She knew a foul mouthed 10 minute rant was in the offing.

This kind of thing is the reason that I shut down my facebook account.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:07 pm

I am on Facebook Sean, I am so down with the kids. (not in an Operation Yewtree way)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Rowley wrote:I am on Facebook Sean, I am so down with the kids. (not in an Operation Yewtree way)

(A sort of) Mate's Dad is on Facebook in an operation yew tree kind of way. He owns the land I was going to fish on until the monsoon season arrived. Waiting to find out if he'll be charged with historic offences. We were going to lock the tent just in case.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next