The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Round Four

+22
SirBurger
nathan
Cumbrian
TightHEAD
Dubbelyew L Overate
sirtidychris
ChequeredJersey
HammerofThunor
HongKongCherry
Bathite
broadlandboy
formerly known as Sam
stnick88
doctor_grey
yappysnap
Bathman_in_London
beshocked
LondonTiger
Heaf
Geordie
Welly
Ozzy3213
26 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 Empty Aviva Premiership Round Four

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 22 Sep 2014, 2:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well, round three was another feast of entertaining rugby, with this now shaping up to be potentially a vintage season in Premiership history.  This weeks action began at Kingsholm on Friday night, where Gloucester started better than in rounds one and two, but couldn't see things though against the Chiefs, who have started the season in fine form themselves.  In Saturday's early kick off Sale Sharks left it late to secure the try bonus point against London Welsh, but three tries in the last six minutes got the job done and them off the mark in the wins column.  Harlequins then squeezed past Wasps to get back on track after last weekends humping, and London Irish showed that they may not be relegation fodder this season, taking unbeaten Saracens to the wire in a 7 try thriller in which the Exiles picked up two bonus points.  Then came possible the biggest shock result in Premiership history, as Bath thumped Leicester Tigers 45-0 to put themselves top of the table.  For the second weekend running the action finished at Kingston Park, where Newcastle Falcons went down to a Northampton Saints team with a point to prove.

Prediction wise I was 4 from 6 again, with Gloucester and my own beloved Exiles letting me down this time around.  So that's 12 from 18, and still no full house for a winning accumulator for me.. Anyway, here's how the table looks after round 3:-

POS TEAM P  L  PD TF TA TBP LBP PTS 
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 11.
Bath Rugby 

+81 
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 112.
Saracens
+49
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 93.
Northampton Saints  
+68
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 484.
Exeter Chiefs
+51
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 45.
Leicester Tigers
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 76.
Harlequins
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 127.
Sale Sharks
+22
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 58.
London Irish
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 69.
Wasps
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 210.
Gloucester
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 811.
Newcastle Falcons
Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 5012.
London Welsh

So, on to this weeks fixtures, and here they are;- 

Friday 26th September 2014   19:45   London Welsh vs. Gloucester

It's difficult to know what to say about London Welsh, as they have been truly appalling, particularly in defence.  At some point they have to tighten up, and having been on the road in rounds two and three will look to find some comfort from being at home here.  Gloucester have improved since their mauling by Northampton in round one, but this is their first trip away from Kingsholm since then, and there is no certainty that they will travel well.  The will have to be terrible though, and Welsh will have to play out of their skin if the Oxford based side are going to win this, and I just can't see it.  Gloucester to win on the road, but Welsh may do enough to pick up a losing bonus point.

Saturday 27th September 2014   15:00   Leicester Tigers vs. London Irish

How do I call this?  Tigers in disarray and there for the taking, or a wounded in animal ready to lash out in their own lair?  I suspect the latter, in particular if Allen and Tuilagi are fit to start this one.  I imagine they will be beasted this week by our friend Mr Cockerill, and will want to take that out on the Exiles come Saturday afternoon.  That said, Irish stood up well against the ferocity of the Saracens pack, and with a little bit more luck may have clung on for a cracking win.  They will need to dig deep and produce the same level of performance this weekend if they are to come away from a ground where they have historically gotten very little.  Heart says we can do it, head says a losing bonus point should be on the cards in this one.

Saturday 27th September 2014   15:00   Saracens vs. Sale Sharks

The GloboGym machine rolled on last weekend, despite being given a scare, and are now 3 from 3.  Having rotated last week I expect that some of those who were rotated out may be rotated back in for this one, but whoever they put out it will undoubtedly be a very strong side.  Sale will be buoyed by picking up their first win against London Welsh, but it's tough to judge the value of that given that everyone has humped them so far.  To get anything from this game their pack will need to front up, and look as if they may be without Nathan Hines, and Cipriani will need to be on top form and pulling the strings.  It is however Saracens first game at Allianz Park this season, and I expect them to come hard for the win and have too much for Sale who I think will go away with nothing.

Saturday 27th September 2014   15:15   Northampton Saints vs. Bath Rugby

It's the big game of the round, with unbeaten Bath travelling to the champions.  This promises to be feisty, with two meaty packs colliding, and Saints will want to dominate to ensure that Bath don't get anywhere near as much front foot ball as they did against Tigers.  It's a really tough one to call, as Bath were excellent last week but this is Saints at the Gardens and they will want to make up ground on their title rivals in front of their home fans.  I think this will be a tight affair, with Saints edging it and Bath heading back west with a losing bonus point.

Sunday 28th September 2014   14:00   Exeter Chiefs vs. Harlequins

Despite the win against Wasps, I am still unconvinced by Harlequins this season.  The Chiefs on the other hand have surprised me this season, as I wasn't convinced they would be as strong as they have in last 2 years, but once again they are well drilled, efficient, and have some real talented youngsters going well in their back line.  Pre season, I'd have fancied Quins to nick this one, but after the evidence of the opening three rounds, I think this is a win for the Chiefs, and Quins will be lucky to take anything back with them to Twickenham.

Sunday 28th September 2014   14:00   Wasps vs. Newcastle Falcons

Having played Saracens, Saints and Quins in their opening three games, I suspect that Wasps will be pleased to have a slightly easier fixture this week.  Falcons have shown little in the opening three rounds, however they did battle hard against Saints in the second half last time out.  The problem is they don't look able to hurt teams with their back line, so are reliant on their pack rumbling over, but other teams have equally strong packs and they aren't likely to dominate anyone but London Welsh.  If Wasps pack get them any quick ball, they have pace to burn in the back line and will score tries.  I think they'll get four or more of them here and bag a nice little five pointer in this one.

Ozzy's predicted table after round 4:

Saracens 18, Northampton Saints 15, Bath Rugby 15, Exeter Chiefs 14, Leicester Tigers 13, Wasps 11, Gloucester 9, London Irish 8, Harlequins 8, Sale Sharks 7, London Welsh 2, Newcastle Falcons 1.

Last edited by Ozzy3213 on Tue 23 Sep 2014, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Four - Page 3 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round Four

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 26 Sep 2014, 8:27 pm

I don't remember that at all Ozzy. The scrum at Welford Rd didn't really move much at Ravenhill Cole took him to the cleaners in the first half and in the second half Court took the tactic of a big hit then standing up before Cole could get back at him. He played the ref well in that second half. He's a clever prop with plenty of experience. Balmain is a powerful lump but doesn't have that experience and isn't the most technical. Balmain is very good in the loose.

If Gloucester didn't have Dan Robson they'd be in a lot of trouble tonight he's been electric. Both sides look decidedly unsure of what to do with the ball when they have it. Nice to see Pienaar get a try, he had awful luck at Tigers with a nasty ACL break after pushing his way onto the fringes of the first team. He never really re gathered that momentum but went well in the Championship and now seems to be doing alright with Welsh.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 26 Sep 2014, 8:43 pm

just got home from work. London Welsh are within 2 of Gloucester? Is Gloucester poopie? Or did someone replace the LW players? What is going on?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 26 Sep 2014, 8:57 pm

Welsh have been gash, Gloucester have been marginally less gash doc.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:04 pm

I like the description! gash and a bit less gash.

From how the second half is unfolding I see exactly what you mean. Seems like Gloucester couldn't score in a bordello.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:06 pm

And not for nuthin', how many times will Gloucester go into contact and knock it forward?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:33 pm

Welsh are not good enough and are nowhere near fit enough.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:39 pm

London Irish are the favourites tomorrow and should win by 15 points.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

Thats b ollocks welly

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:41 pm

Not according to bookies Welly.  Coral have yourselves at 1/7 and us at 9/2 to win.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:49 pm

Ozzie, today was the first time I saw LW this season and I think you are absolutely right. All I saw today was the 2nd half. Gloucester were not great (less gash), but LW were really poor. Defended well for a while but gave up the ghost in the last 15 minutes. Didn't Gloucester grab 4 tries in those final 15 minutes? Do you think Gloucester will actually feel good abut the match? Is there anything they can take from it?

The massive stat put up on tv was that the points differential for LW is -153. And that is after only 4 matches. Methinks they are in the relegation zone now. Their matches of the season will be against Newcastle.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Sep 2014, 9:57 pm

stnick88 wrote:Thats b ollocks welly
I completely agree, Welly is obviously struggling to see tomorrow's result with his one eye. With my third eye however I can see a clear 40+ point win for Irish, with Mr P Try getting himself on the scoreboard a few times.

Should Tigers defy the odds and score a single point then the rate of improvement from last week will be so impressive you'd have to pencil them in for this year's AP, LV and Champions Cup titles.

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 26 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm

I can genuinely not recall ever being so underwhelmed by a 6 try victory. Great to get the 5 points, but a massive step back from last week. Welsh must take credit from their first half, but in general they are a truly dire side and need a miracle to stay up.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 26 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm

Welsh conceded 2 tries in 2 minutes in the first half doc.  For the second one there was a line break and the Gloucester player got caught by a covering tackle, before the ball was eventually recycled and they scored the try.  On the replay you could see Welsh players ambling back when the attacker was tackled.  None of them were busting a gut to get back and try to rescue the situation.  

That's just not good enough.  When their fitness went in the final 20 minutes it got even worse and the scoreline then flattered Gloucester, who lacked ideas in attack for most of the game and were also pretty average in defence.

I cannot see how Welsh can stay up.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Sep 2014, 10:19 pm

Ozzy was it you who mentioned watching LI - falcons on bet365?

Just wondering whether the rugby streams are limited to tiny vision like the other sports I'm testing it with now. If so I'll have to get looking for resizing extensions or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 26 Sep 2014, 10:23 pm

I watched Falcons vs. London Irish on the bet365 stream via wiziwig. Was one of the better streams I've watched.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 27 Sep 2014, 7:59 am

What's more worrying for Glaws is they look better with Robson and Atkinson at 9/10 then they do with Laidlaw and Hook. Hook was very poor. Robson easily man of the match for me.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:39 am

Hook was poor, but it was 36 who moved to 10 not Atkinson. This also suggests the new coaching set up don't see Laidlaw as a 10 as Robson was playing very well when they took him off and they could have easily brought him on for Hook instead.

Many Glaws supporters have felt Robson will be our starting 9 this season, but bar the Chiefs game Laidlaw has looked good and he did add something when he came on last night. Nevertheless I'd be surprised if Robson doesn't start against Tigers.

In the cold light of day I'm less frustrated with the performance as we still ended up with the right performance. Our defence has improved notably and we're averaging scoring 3 tries a game. There is still an enormous amount to work on, but we're going in the right direction. Even with all Tigers' injury woes next week will be a good test of where we're at.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 27 Sep 2014, 9:52 am

Never rated Hook at 10, he's a centre, just like guys like Mccalister and Beale, some players have the skillset but just don't have the mentality.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 27 Sep 2014, 10:02 am

I know it is a bit rich coming from a Falcons fan, but London Welsh really are appalling. If the various Gloucester kickers hadn't been wearing beer goggles it would have been 50 again.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 27 Sep 2014, 10:06 am

It's not rich at all Cumbrian, they are truly awful.  Replacing the guys who got them promoted and praying that the 'star names' gel was a mistake, and those chickens are coming home to roost.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 27 Sep 2014, 10:06 am

Welsh are an embarrassment to the league.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 27 Sep 2014, 10:18 am

Ozzy they didn't replace those that got them there though, of the 32 players they used in the play offs 26 of them are still at the club. With the increased salary cap and the limited time the promoted championship side has to recruit they were always going to face an uphill challenge and at the moment you just can't see them staying up.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 27 Sep 2014, 10:38 am

Sorry HKC, I don't agree with that at all.  Last time Welsh got promoted after a legal wrangle, I can accept that time was short.  If you are serious about getting promoted, you build a squad that can get you up, and with a couple of shrewd additions can keep you up the season afterwards, as Exeter did and as whoever comes up out of Worcester and Bristol will have done next season.

Welsh, once again appear to have failed to plan in advance and then gone out having got promoted and just bought whoever was available without any sort of plan in place as to how those players would fit together.  I am not trying to be critical, as I would love to see them succeed, but the infrastructure at their club still appears to be championship rather than premiership standard.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:04 am

But were they in a financial position to plan for life in the Jeff? Given the bank role of Steve Lansdowne and the signings of players like Ryan Jones it would have been very reasonable for the Welsh board to err on the conservative side as could they afford to bring in players without the BT money? Equally had they not gone up they'd be up against the spending power of Cecil Duckworth. It probably says more about the gap between the Jeff and the championship rather then Welsh's misplaced short termism.

I appreciate Exeter are the model to follow but not every side can enjoy the ability to own a stadium or have a such a strong catchment area for fans, hence why Exeter really are the only example of a side successfully coming up the divisions, as even Worcester have failed to properly establish themselves as anything other than a yo yo side.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:38 am

Of course there is a gap, and one that will no doubt grow as the Premiership sides enjoy better revenue streams through improved TV deals etc.  All that means is that you MUST HAVE a plan, in order to bridge that gap should you get promoted.  This is where Welsh's issues lay in my opinion.

Administratively they were poor last time around, hence the points deduction for irregularities.  It appears to me, albeit from the outside, that nothing much has changed within the structure of the club. 

Yes, Exeter have the advantages that you mention, but they appear to be well run on and off the pitch.  They have not spent big on playing resources, instead bringing in seasoned pros who fit their mould, alongside home grown talent.  Welsh need to get an academy in place, and this should have been a priority when they got promoted the first time, but it hasn't been done.  Money and time are just excuses from what I've seen, and Burnell carping on last night about refereeing decisions and having been promised a level playing field does nothing to endear them to me if I'm being honest.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:47 am

Finances doesn't explain the lack of fitness or leadership that was the main issue last night. Minus Gordon Ross they look lost, Olly Barkley looks every bit a player past his best who's just topping up his savings.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:51 am

Absolutely fkas.  Where was the heart and desire out there?  I didn't see any, or any signs that there is anything happening that will improve them as a side.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 27 Sep 2014, 12:46 pm

As I found out last season that kind of passionless approach is a coaching issue. I have to say I find Justin Burnell comes across as a defeated man which will no doubt rub off on the team. Nevertheless you can't expect a board to replace the coach who got them promoted prior to the start of the season. The simple fact is that they won the championship with players not up to Jeff standards and their plan was in such a situation they would recruit in the necessary players. Unfortunately for them it isn't working, but I don't think they should be vilified for the number of new recruits; it is no more than what is happening at Glaws as a times this level of change is needed.

As above for me it is a coaching issue. A lack of fitness is the coaches' responsibility. Burnell has been making a number of changes to match day squads and this can't help continuity. Glaws have been selecting the same side bar injuries to allow the players to build an understanding of each other. As we saw last night with Hook and 36 this can take some time! So for Burnell to make unforced changes doesn't help. I know it seems a bit churlish to call for a coaching change so early, but something needs to happen at Welsh for them to stand a chance of staying up. If they can stay in the Jeff then they can start making more long term plans.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 27 Sep 2014, 2:04 pm

London Welsh does seem caught in the chicken and egg roundabout. Which comes first? The organisation or the players? Seems they can't build an organisation without some success and sustainability in the Premiership. And they can't sustain in the Premiership without the players. And they can't bring in players without an organisation. Unfortunately for them, it seems they simply do not have sufficient underpinnings to be anything more than a yo-yo club. The show they put on yesterday was clearly poor.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:07 pm

Gerathy Pen

Leicester tigers 0 - London Irish 3 (6 mins)

Short try.

Leicester Tigers 0 London Irish 8 (8 mins) con to come. going to TMO, no try penalty tigers obvious obstruction.

Still 0-3

Leicester win a scrum penalty against the head!!!!!! put on the pressure on the Irish front row and won it.

Burns misses Pen 0-3

Gerathy Pen from over half way line 0-6 15 mins.

Injury scare for Burns, but he is back up.

Burns misses a Pen 0-6

Leicester Tigers win another Scrum penalty, going for touch

Irish scrum penalty, followed by a bit of hand bags. Penalty reversed due to a punch thrown by Cowan in a kickable place for Irish.

Ghilrandni off (Think concussion test or blood) Briggs on (28 mins)

Burns Pen (30 Mins)

Leicester Tigers 3 - 6 London Irish

Try Irish: Aulika, Con good Gerathy

Leicester Tigers 3 - 13 London Irish

Gerathy YC, Burns Pen Leicester 6 - 13 London Irish.

Last edited by Welly on Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:49 pm; edited 14 times in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:12 pm

Go on Irish!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm

Globogym 10 Sale 0 at the mo. Alex Goode with the try, at least we won't have to now listen to Barnes gush about he's the greatest attacking fullback in England though.

Need sale to start scoring back.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:31 pm

Penalty try for Saints due to deliberat knock on. Pretty rare but was probably an easy run in if the ball went to hand.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:33 pm

Cowabunga

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:35 pm

Saints giving it Bath in revenge for their humiliated locals.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:39 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Saints giving it Bath in revenge for their humiliated locals.

Saints restoring East midlands honour then. Hug laughing

I feel bad.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:50 pm

It's alright, Bath are back in this.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 3:54 pm

HT Leicester 6 - London Irish 13.

Leicester waking up in the second half.

Was to much kicking by them early on, But Benjamin is looking good with ball in hand, same with Kitchener and Williams.

Forwards is fairly even.

Garner having a poor game, Irish have been offside every time nearly and lying all over the ball.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:17 pm

Second Half

Burns Pen (47 mins)

Tigers 9 - Irish 13

Irish subs:

O'Leary on for Steele
 Guest on for someone Wink

Gerathy Pen

Tigers 9 - Irish 16.
Goneva Try Kick good.

Leicester tigers 16 London Irish 16

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:40 pm

Foden been brilliant today. As has Fotaulai (sp)

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

Williams going for a huge kick 57 M imo.

Don't know if he will get this.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:45 pm

~He got it what a huge huge kick.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:50 pm

Perennial underdogs in with a shout of victory at home against mid table opposition. Shock result at welford?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:54 pm

Bathite wrote:Perennial underdogs in with a shout of victory at home against mid table opposition. Shock result at welford?

Haha

don't Garner is having a shocker, and I mean a shocker.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:54 pm

Irish in the lead by 3 points with 2 mins left.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 4:59 pm

Leicester lose Shocking referring by Garner.

But Bristow was a rock @ LH.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 27 Sep 2014, 5:01 pm

We've had a lot of luck here today. But can't help but think how many pens saints have conceded in 22 without a card

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 27 Sep 2014, 5:03 pm

Waiting for cockers to speak.

So angry with the Ref.

Scully was brilliant today, Benjamin looked very good considering how long he has been out.

Williams played well at 12, Bristow was cracking, De Cheves added weight in the second row.

Bristow and Balmain both 22 were brilliant.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat 27 Sep 2014, 5:04 pm

One rule for saints when it comes to tmo tries. One rule for everyone else!

Disgraceful!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Sep 2014, 5:07 pm

Agree that Garner was absolutely dreadful but so were the Tigers. I saw many people predicting a big backlash from last week but I just couldn't see it. All the talk this week has seemed measured and pragmatic rather than battle like and demanding an immediate response.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next