The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland v Argentina, 8 November

+38
FecklessRogue
blindsided
demosthenes
tatterd
Manky-Flanker
A Simply Mesmeric Try
TheMildlyFranticLlama
SecretFly
Argybargy
Notch
SirBurger
sensisball
TJ
highland_scot
tigertattie
des
nickj
BigGee
cakeordeath
jimbopip
IanBru
R!skysports
EWT Spoons
Tattie Scones RRN
madmaccas
Anglobraveheart
Majestic83
mckay1402
reallybored
MacKnocked-on
Pat_Mustard
RuggerRadge2611
Nematode
GLove39
RDW
Biltong
George Carlin
42 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Scotland v Argentina, 8 November - Page 6 Empty Scotland v Argentina, 8 November

Post by George Carlin Sun 02 Nov 2014, 8:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Argentina, 8 November - Page 6 Mini_s10      Scotland v Argentina, 8 November - Page 6 Mini_p10   
Scotland v Argentina
8 November 2014
KO: 17:30 GMT
BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

Referee: Wayne Barnes (RFU)
Touch judges : George Clancy (IRFU) & Marius Mitrea (FIR)
TV : Eric Gauzins (FFR)

BBC Two/Various others

A. Teams:

Scotland
Scotland v Argentina, 8 November - Page 6 Kareng11
15 Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors); 24 caps
14 Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors); 13 caps
13 Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors); uncapped
12 Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors); 8 caps
11 Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors); 10 caps
10 Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors); 2 caps
9 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester); 31 caps

1 Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby); 36 caps
2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby); 77 caps
3 Euan Murray (Glasgow Warriors); 60 caps
4 Richie Gray (Castres); 39 caps
5 Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors); 5 caps
6 Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors); 7 caps
7 Blair Cowan (London Irish); 3 caps
8 Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors); 1 cap

16 Scott Lawson (Gloucester); 45 caps
17 Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors); 3 caps
18 Geoff Cross (London Irish); 32 caps
19 Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors); 9 caps
20 Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan); 40 caps
21 Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors); 12 caps
22 Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors); 15 caps
23 Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors); 88 caps

Argentina
Scotland v Argentina, 8 November - Page 6 Bereni10
15 Joaquin Tuculet
14 Juan Imhoff
13 Marcelo Bosch
12 Juan Martín Hernandez
11 Manuel Montero
10 Nicolas Sanchez
9 Martin Landajo

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustin Creevy (capt)
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Tomas Lavanini
5 Juan Cruz Guillemai
6 Rodrigo Baez
7 Javier Ortega Desio
8 Leonardo Senatore

16 Matias Cortese
17 Lucas Noguera Paz
18 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
19 Lucas Ponce
20 Facundo Isa
21 Tomas Cubelli
22 Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias
23 Horacio Agulla

B. Form - head to head (last 5 matches):

21 June 2014
Estadio Mario Alberto Kempes, Córdoba
19 – 21 to Scotland
2014 Summer Test

25 September 2011
Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington
13 – 12 to Argentina
2011 Rugby World Cup

19 June 2010
Estadio José María Minella, Mar del Plata
9 – 13 to Scotland
2010 Scottish tour of Argentina

12 June 2010
Estadio José Fierro, Tucumán
16 – 24 to Scotland
2010 Scottish tour of Argentina

28 November 2009
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
6 – 9 to Argentina
2009 Autumn International

C. Form:

Scotland

28 June 2014
South Africa 55–6  Scotland

20 June 2014
Argentina 19–21  Scotland

14 June 2014
Canada 17–19 Scotland

7 June 2014
United States 6–24 Scotland

Argentina

Oct 4, 2014
Rugby Championship / Puma Trophy
Argentina 21 - 17 Australia

Sep 27, 2014
Rugby Championship
Argentina 13 - 34 New Zealand

Sep 13, 2014
Rugby Championship / Puma Trophy
Australia 32 - 25 Argentina

Sep 6, 2014
Rugby Championship
New Zealand 28 - 9 Argentina

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Argentina, 8 November - Page 6 Empty Re: Scotland v Argentina, 8 November

Post by demosthenes Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:31 pm

tigertattie wrote:So. What have we learned?

Finn Russell looks good for the future
Ross ford was consistent at doing the basics
Mark Bennett was like a rabbit in the headlights. Schitz would be so dissapointed.
Cotter doesn't need to empty the bench. Laidlaw and Russell were doing fine. Russell in particular. Meatball was just mince from the moment he came on
Wayne Barnes, even with video replay, can't ref for toffee.

Jim Hamilton is a waste of space. He should be told, thanks but no thanks. I would rather have Swinson or Kellock. If Kellock had been on you wouldnt have seen the brainfarts in terms of decisions in the last ten minutes .

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Scotland v Argentina, 8 November - Page 6 Empty Re: Scotland v Argentina, 8 November

Post by BigGee Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:36 pm

Its international rugby at the end of the day. Its the W that counts and can I remind everybody that we have lost our last 5 to Argentina at home.

For God sake take the win and enjoy it. Yes there is still plenty to work on, but boy there was a lot of good stuff as well. The game was won at half time and we were shafted by a very dodgy yellow card. Yes they dropped off but we won and actually won well, much better than the score suggests!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

On paper a very good win for scotland scoring 5 very good tries.
In reality a great first half, good first 20 in the second half but a dreadful last 20. going into the last 20 argentina were looking tired and agitated and we really should have put a few more scores on them. Instead we made some very stupid errors and let them back in a bit.
Never thought I'd come away from a 5 try win for scotland feeling a bit disappointed.

On the plus side thought Laidlaw looked like a different player tonight, great performance and no aimless kicking.
Lots of positives from Vern cotters first game in charge but a lot to work on to. Not sure the bench made the best impact!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:42 pm

tatterd wrote:well done scotland - according to the bbc sport website you just beat new zealand 41-31!
Stop the internet right now. We'll take it!
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:44 pm

Yep, I for one am overjoyed. That first half was the best I've seen us play since THAT game against Wales in 2010.

Finn Russell is the real deal and has to be first choice running into the World Cup.

Richie Gray looks like he's finally fulfilling his huge potential with a gritty game in defence and attack. Hi wee brother had a pretty good game to boot. Can't see Gilchrist getting a look in after that.

Adam Ashe looked a bit knackered after the 1st half, but considering he's not playing rugby that's no surprise. He had a great game.

Alex Dunbar, whilst not really getting the ball, was monumental in defence and around the rucks/mauls.

Greig Laidlaw has totally changed my opinion. He was near faultless and looked to lead the team from the front.

Of course it's early days and this team is painfully young, but Vern Cotter seems to be doing something very exciting and when (not if) they can tie it all together and give an 80 minute performance, we will a force to be reckoned with.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blindsided Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:22 pm

Wow! That first 60 minutes was honestly up there with the best I can remember seeing from scotland. Was particularly impressed with the Gray's, Laidlaw, Finn Russell and, especially considering how much grief I've given him in the past, Ford! 100% in the lineouts and good around the park.

Last 20 were a bit ruined by scrums and Barnes and performance definitely dipped. A few questions around the scrum as well.

However, one fact I've come across should not be forgotten. That is the first time since 2005(!) Scotland have scored 40 points against a tier 1 nation. And that was Italy!

So many positives for me and I'm aaaalmost looking forward to next Saturday!

blindsided

Back to top Go down

Post by blindsided Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:27 pm

Actually since 2003! If I'm going to give facts, they should really be correct facts. Doh

blindsided

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:39 pm

Well done Glasgow Scotland, looking forward to seeing the highlights!

Such a shame that there have been so many games clashing this weekend. Would have liked to catch this live thumbsdown
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:45 pm

I think the comments on Bennett are too harsh. He was really good in defence and, yes, he did knock the ball on a few times, but Hogg missed kicks and the rest of the B3 weren't in the game much. I thought he was ok, not the best game he's had, but he should have had a try.

I thought in particular Ford, both Grays, Ashe, Laidlaw, Russell & Dunbar were outstanding.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:55 pm

Big Vern currently has a better home record with Scotland than with Clermont Auvergne.

This tells us all we need to know about the special group of players. Very Happy
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by FecklessRogue Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:59 pm

Scotland looking good. Could make for an even more interesting 6 Nations.
FecklessRogue
FecklessRogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sat 08 Nov 2014, 9:41 pm

Getting a bit sick-fed up of lazy journalism:

BBC: "Dancemove of the day: Rob Harley breaking it down MC Hammer style while in the sin-bin. What a way to serve out your 10-minute sentence." It was Finn Russell, obviously.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by des Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:31 pm

There are a few Edinburgh supporters that see Ross Ford playing week in week out and realise he's not the liability that others think he is.

Today was what I expect and usually see from him. Can wee all give him a break, at least until he has a horror with Gray junior or Gilco calling the lineout?

Big Jim can Frak off though.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by des Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm

I'm not sure if it was Android auto correct or the forum software that did that but I'm sure you know what I mean.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:27 pm

Well played and well won Scotland!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:30 pm

Great performance, spoiled in the second half by the clueless man in the middle.
The Harley card was ridiculous. Very poor decision, and cost us a couple of scores. I wouldn't let Barnes referee kids.
However, I thought we were great, but with plenty room for improvement and quick wins we can make on decision making and composure. Could've easily been 54 - 10.
Very proud of the boys, please replace Jim Hamilton with Swinson on the bench. Apart from that, onwards and upwards. Chuffed!!!!!!!!

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 08 Nov 2014, 11:36 pm

Happy for Scotland. Looking forward to watching in the next day or so.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:02 pm

I would stick with the same starting 15 but be tempted to change the bench; Heathcote for Weir who was really stupid at the end of yesterday's game, Hamilton let himself down so probably Swinson instead and I'm not sure Strokosch was the correct back row sub choice to maintain the dynamic style of play.
The back row for me was a really good unit yesterday, Ashe played very well but I thought Harley and Cowan were also good. Seemed to be a good balance with each player working very hard.
The Grays were a fantastic pairing and Ross Ford played excellently also.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:06 pm

The Scotsman was fairly talking Dickinson up - couldn't see much from where I was sitting, but was he really a stand out too?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:08 pm

What I really enjoyed was watching Scotland backs look dangerous in attack! Its been a long time since we had this. good forwards we have had, good defense we have had but backs who look dangerous, can beat their markers and who can pass and run and run support lines - its been a long long time a coming

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

Thought Dickinson had a very good game, was strong on his side of the scrum and showed up well in defence and made a lot of close range carries.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:11 pm

I thought Ross Ford played extremely well, I have been critical of him in the past but yesterday's performance was the best I have seen in a long time.

I have no idea why Jim Hamilton was on the bench we have better options. Although Cotter thought some grunt was needed against the Argentina scrum.

Weir, well the less said the better. The stand out for me was Russell. Have we found a 10?

I agree with MacKnocked-on for next weeks selection. With the exception of having Ryan Grant on the bench.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:13 pm

Russell looks to have written his name on the jersey all right. Proved his doubters wrong. Proved that if you are good enough you are old enough and experienced enough.

What did Weir do wrong? I didn't see owt

ford really showed why he is a lion and played really well. Wee Grieg had a good game as well.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

Well played Scotland is it to early for one of you to start the annual ;Scotland dark horses for the 6 Nations' thread. WinkWinkWink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Well played Scotland is it to early for one of you to start the annual ;Scotland dark horses for the 6 Nations' thread. WinkWinkWink

After that result we are no longer dark horses - we are world beaters! ( until we get hosed by NZ then its back to " we're doomed")

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 09 Nov 2014, 1:06 pm

Only injury concern is pyrgos, who went off with concussion yesterday.

Sam H-C has been called up as cover.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 09 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

I think it is time someone dusted off the Pte Fraser tunic and began adding a teensy wee bit off realism.
We were fantastic for large parts of the game. We weren't that impressive for lengthy spells. If we do that on Saturday NZ will thrash us.
Frodo did some very good things. But he won't be allowed to tap and run next week; they'll give penalties all day long. (With no sign of a yellow card, amazingly). The commentators kept going on about the Pumas line speed: perhaps if the scrum half didn't take four or five steps laterally before passing then Dunbar might have had a bit more time and space. I thought Dunbar and Bennett were excellent defensively but largely invisible in attack. This does ask questions about the amount of ball, and quality of, ball they were getting. And don't get me started on his box kicks!!!
If you take out the two tap and goes and the intercept try then we scored two tries through the forwards. I would consider that a rather poor return for all the possession and territory we enjoyed.
Frodo deserves A++ for effort and guts yesterday but I'm still not convinced about his decision making or his ability to get the ball to the backs quickly enough at the right times.
Rant over... Can't Throw did excellently at the lineouts and in the loose. I wonder if the All Black hooker will agree to a similar non-aggression treaty at scrum time next week though. ( That sounds churlish.. Ford had a very good excellent game and should feel justifiably proud this morning.)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 09 Nov 2014, 1:49 pm

I'd also love to see an end to this wholesale substitution business around the 60min mark, never seems to achieve anything but disrupt the match, certainly didn't help the team performance yesterday. If players like Russell or Cowan for example are getting on fine then leave them on for goodness sake (did you notice Cowan's 'what me?' yesterday when he was subbed?). I would hope that if we are in contention in a big 6N or World Cup game then Cotter wouldn't make all these changes.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 1:50 pm

Whilst I agree we should not be getting carried away I think this game may really be the turning of a corner.  the real key thing being confidence.  Wee Grieg - his best game ever in a scotland shirt?  Why?  confidence.  Russell - playing fine attacking rugby - with confidence.  Players runing great support lines - confidence.  Players trusting each other to make the tackles.  Ford looking like he is enjoying his rugby not looking like a bag of nerves

For so long Scotland have underperformed and played without confidence.  Is cotter the man who has changed things?  Is it the players?  is it Glasgows season?  I do not know but it so nice to see

Whilst nothing will work if you don't have the players, without confidence and that top two inches in fine form you will not win big games.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 2:10 pm

Well that was a fun day at Murrayfield!!!

Feared the worst after the early try against the run of play. But wow, what a response. Gray & ickle Gray were fantastic. Richie really seems to play harder with his brother is alongside him.
And Ickle, if he'd given that pass to Bennet its it would've been a 10/10 performance.

Speaking of Bennet, and this might be sacrilege, but his debut reminded me of De Lucas. Big build up, from club player etc and then knocked on everything. Still I'm sure he'll bounce back stronger.

Less said about the final quarter the better, although Barnes is an arse. Reminded me of playing rugby at school. Often the ref would be our own coach who had a big emphasis on fair play, and if we were winning by to much he'd do his best to even things up by sending players off etc

No idea what Weir was thinking. 10 seconds to go, you're ahead by 14, the games won, on your own try line, boot it up field, line out (cheap to Ford) and game done.

Ultimately with missed kicks & try opportunities we should have been in the 50s & Argentina got a lot of lucky scores.

Still roll on next week, got a funny feeling something social is going to happen...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 09 Nov 2014, 2:13 pm

GLove39 wrote:

Still roll on next week, got a funny feeling something social is going to happen...

Ale RedWine Bubbly Whisky Hug   ???????

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 2:15 pm

TJ wrote:
GLove39 wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Could have sworn I typed special. That's auto correct for you!
But yes for reasons outlined in the NZ matchday thread, next weekend should be a very special day indeed!
https://www.606v2.com/t56359-scotland-v-new-zealand-november-15th

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 2:28 pm

TJ wrote:
GLove39 wrote:

Although that does sum up my train journey back. Amazing how many friends you make when you've got a bottle opener on you!

Ale mug

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 09 Nov 2014, 4:15 pm

Oh stop it! We all know how Glasgow guys open bottles...with their teeth or on a neighbour's head Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 09 Nov 2014, 5:03 pm

Fly, I hope you can see this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04pjb0d/rugby-union-20142015-autumn-internationals-scotland-v-argentina
2:27:16, left of shot.

I give you Master Stuart Hogg of Hawick, Glasgow, Scotland and the Lions, using his gnashers to good effect.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 09 Nov 2014, 5:14 pm

Actually Bru it appears to me that he tries repeatedly then asks Dunbar for his bottle opener, borders lad catching on to the big city ways.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

Judging from this pic doesn't look as if it's the first time Hogg's tried to pull off that party trick!
https://twitter.com/StuartWHOGG_15/status/438727037982089217

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 09 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

As the saying goes, "you can take the boy out of Hawick, but you probably shouldn't".

OK, tell me if I'm sounding crazy, but does Jonny Gray bear more than a passing resemblance to Murphy from RoboCop?

Jonny:
Spoiler:
Murphy:
Spoiler:
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Sun 09 Nov 2014, 11:30 pm

That was epic.

The end was a shame but to have the game in the bag with 20 to go against the Pumas is impressive.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Nov 2014, 8:29 am

Watched the entire game again last night, when my wife decided to wake me up to tell me that she couldn't sleep.

We were good, but the Pumas were very poor.

The good things were the performances of Russell, Laidlaw, Ashe, the Grays and Hogg.

The bad things were the way our scrum fecked off for a cigarette in the second half, the very prescence of the walking penalty that is Mr Jemima Hamilton and the tiredness that led us to leak tries in the last 5 minutes.

I really don't care about the NZ result - I just want us to show an improvement on this. Surely that's all we want.

And Gabby Logan, obviously. Liked Geech commentating. Also liked Matt Gitau commentating for the BBC - a man of few words but he told it to the grey-chest haired old soak that is John Inverdale exactly as it was.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Nov 2014, 8:36 am

I'm wondering - and am hoping - that the raft of substitutions was only because we had the game in the bag and he just wanted to give the guys a run out and save some players for next week. There was no need to replace Russell, Cowan, Gray jnr etc.

One of my colleagues is raging at Duncan Weir for taking that quick tap at the end (what was he thinking??) because it lost him 30 quid at the bookies! He had Scotland by 12 points +

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 10 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

I'm not a huge Cowan fan, but I think Morrison is being a bit harsh on him in his piece in the Scotsman, I thought he did pretty well at the breakdown.

Iain Morrison wrote:It was the near perfect storm. Two teams who wanted to play with the ball in hand, a brand new semi-artificial pitch that facilitated these lofty ambitions and the rain stayed off until the second half; little wonder we witnessed nine tries in Scotland’s gripping 41-31 victory against Argentina in the first Autumn Test at BT Murrayfield on Saturday.

Argentina played their part from the little back flip from Juan Martin Hernandez to the tapped penalty that scrum-half Martin Landajo took five metres from his own try line. Scotland’s high-tempo game was aided and abetted by Argentina’s own ambitious play. Towards the end, you felt the visitors would have been better advised to slow the tempo and kick to the corners as their forwards finally had the upper hand.

Much of the attention in the build-up to the match had focused on the midfield of Alex Dunbar and Mark Bennett. Both of them did the needful but neither stood head and shoulders above their peers.

Dunbar has played 40 minutes of rugby in the last seven weeks and he looked a little rusty. You fancy that, had the centre been fully up to speed, he would have had enough gas in the tank to prevent Javier Desio from scoring that first Argentina try. Dunbar did, in case you forgot, record the fastest speed set by a Scotland back when scoring against Italy in Rome last season. Still, the centre made all his tackles and ripped the ball to earn a turnover into the bargain.

His midfield colleague Bennett was under the Bosch all afternoon, the Marcelo Bosch. The big, muscular Argentine centre gave his opposite number precious little time and space and Bennett took a little time to adjust to the greater pace and intensity of Test rugby. The youngster lost the ball in contact a couple of times and one pass of his was directed behind Tommy Seymour, which spoilt a half chance of a try.

A little later, Bennett over-ran Jonny Gray when he was supporting the lock, which was one reason Gray didn’t/couldn’t make the pass. The centre then guddled the ball into touch around the half-hour mark. He will have learned valuable lessons from yesterday’s outings and, with this game behind them, the pair will be better next weekend against New Zealand. They will need to be.

The other areas Vern Cotter will look to improve upon is the first and third rows of the scrum. Argentina won a penalty try on 70 minutes when Scotland had just brought in Gordon Reid for Alasdair Dickinson. Interestingly, Rob Harley was in the sin-bin when it happened and Dunbar offered himself as a makeshift flanker but he appeared to be sent back to his midfield post. In retrospect, it was probably a mistake.

Up to that point, the scrums had been shared evenly between Argentina, Scotland and the referee Wayne Barnes, who was quick to ping any technical infringements like pushing before the ball is fed, if only because they are easy to spot. Australia conceded a penalty try to Wales and New Zealand also conceded one late in their game against England, so that area of the game ended up 2-1 to the Northern Hemisphere. It will be interesting to see who starts in the All Blacks front row against Scotland.

After a shaky start, Euan Murray did better than many expected against Marcos Ayerza, one of the best looseheads in the business. On the opposite side of the scrum, Dickinson held his end up pretty well until he tired in the final quarter.

Cotter may leave well alone in the front row for the want of any obvious alternatives but he must be tempted to tinker with the back row, where Blair Cowan had a quiet game. One of the reasons he gets the nod is because he has the speed and handling skills to pop up in midfield and link with the backs. But Scotland already have the Gray brothers Richie and Jonny, locking the second row, both of whom are adept at doing just that and they bring a substantial physical presence along with their silken skills.

Cowan is relatively slight for a Test forward and, on the odd occasion he got himself in the right position, the Pumas pack blew him off the ball. It is difficult to remember him winning a turnover at the breakdown.

Whoever New Zealand select at seven, Richie McCaw, Sam Cane or Uncle Tom Cobley, will boss the breakdown unless Cotter finds a little more muscular character to contest the ball. Chris Fusaro is in the current squad, although there is plenty of support for John Barclay, who is doing good things with the Scarlets in West Wales. Alternatively, Alasdair Strokosch replaced Cowan around the one-hour mark and Cotter could go with his added physicality rather than a specialist seven. The point is that the coach has alternatives and it would be a surprise if he didn’t explore them

Link to the story above

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Mon 10 Nov 2014, 10:13 am

Unfair on Cowan. He showed up in the loose and turned at least one over.
I think this is Morrison being insular.
The balance of the starting back row is good and needs a chance to grow together and develop.
I'd have Swinson and Fusaro in lieu of Hamilton and Strokosch on the bench. I'd also give Pyrgos a chance to recover for a week and bring in Cusiter for the bench.
The rest I would leave as is. Bring back Ryan Grant for Tonga.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm

I was delighted with the game and the ethos Scotland brought to the game as whole. I'm also really glad Laidlaw aquitted himself and a lot of that clearly comes from his fair and belief in the Young Finn Russel who was IMO outstanding.

He was instrumental in the Richie Gray try, Laidlaw wanted to spin the ball left onto the openside but you could see Russel yelling "blind! Blind!" Laidlaw without thinking spun it blind and Gray crashed over. That sort of heads up rugby just wasn't being offered by Weir or Jackson. Laidlaw and Russel should be a halfback combo that isn't messed about with in the Autumn internationals.

Equally our back 3 all looked dangerous and got stuck in. Finally the Gray bros and Ford ran an air tight lineout.

I was disapointed with the last Argie Try, WTF was going on there?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 10 Nov 2014, 3:05 pm

Well I watched the first 60 and missed the last 20 so obviously my impression of the game will be considerably more positive than those who witness the avalanche of points in the final quarter, but my key takeaway points were as follows:

1. We figured out how to score tries, and made the sacred act in rugby actually look easy at times. The tries taken by both Grays were nicely worked and neatly executed. We'd have made far harder work of those in days gone by.

2. I thought the front five in the pack were excellent, both at set piece (against decent opposition) and in particular in the loose. Ford's best game in years, and both Grays were huge around the park. Jim Hamilton will fall away which Gilchrist returns.

3. Backrow still isn't quite right. I was delighted to see specialist players in specialist positions, but Ashe struggled in contact for me possibly suggesting that these huge opportunities have perhaps come rather early for him. I'd have preferred Ali Hogg at number 8 to be honest, and both Denton and Strauss will feel that they'll come straight back in. I didn't think Cowan had a bad game at all, but I'd still rather see Barclay in the 7 jersey.

4. Laidlaw = legend.

5. Russell = future legend. Weir continues to fall in my estimation.

6. Bennett had a tough first game and it's only going to get harder on Saturday. It's going to be tough choosing two from Scott, Dunbar and Bennett. Still, Bennett has earned this chance and should play the next two games.

7. Back three is excellent, all scoring nicely. Visser should be sweating on getting that 11 jersey back, because these guys can attack as well as making their tackles. Fife isn't too shabby either. Some nice options on the wings.

I was really positive about the performance. 41 points and 5 tries is a far cry from what we were a few years ago, and the starting XV was close to being exactly what I wanted.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 10 Nov 2014, 4:43 pm

I actually thought Ashe had a decent game and didn't look out of place.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6