The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Georgia Sunday 16th

+32
TJ
BlueMuff
Rory_Gallagher
kunu
LeinsterFan4life
Biltong
Pot Hale
Pete330v2
JmD
BamBam
Standulstermen
FecklessRogue
asoreleftshoulder
gleesonisgod
GoodinTightSpaces
Mickado
Submachine
The Great Aukster
thebandwagonsociety
ME-109
Marshes
Golden
wolfball
SecretFly
Sin é
MunsterMac
GunsGerms
profitius
Nachos Jones
Notch
George Carlin
pete (buachaill on eirne)
36 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Ireland v Georgia Sunday 16th - Page 2 Empty Ireland v Georgia Sunday 16th

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Hi all,

Feel like this post can go up now that the dust is starting to settle on what was a very good win at the weekend.
Plenty of positives to take including the effective defense, the tenuous breakdown work and excellent control from the halfbacks. Some things could still be considered work ons including our attack with ball in hand, lineout and scrum.

Georgia, with all due respect, should be an easy game (echoes of 2007). Tonga beat them 23-6. Georgia failed to score a point in the second half and all of Tonga's tries came in the final 20minutes. Without wanting to sound too simplistic, it would appear as if Georgia are quite unfit albeit very physical while still on their feet. As a developed playing nation we should benefit from a number of things but the main one should be organisation and preparation. I am expecting a 100% return from our lineout, some later success in securing turnovers and our defensive shape to hold firm.

To put it bluntly, I don't believe that Georgia have any right scoring a point against us.............................with all due respect.

Injuries still account for a fair bit of our squad, other than the original cast who were down and out we have possibly lost Payne for this one, Best may be back, Henry should be back if it was just a virus and Darcy should be available also.

Any game day news, predictions, wish-lists etc pop it down below.
Much love,
Pete

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Georgia Sunday 16th - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland v Georgia Sunday 16th

Post by SecretFly Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:06 am

The only problem for Joe in the theory that opponent B is watching how his side plays against opponent A, and that he then likes to surprise opponent B with a different style or different moves..... well, the only problem is you won't fool Cheika with too many tricks - whether they're one, two or three steps ahead in counter-intuitive planning.  Cheika will be playing the same games with his crowd and his mind.
So it'll be fun............... nervous fun........... but if Schmidt bluffs Cheika I'll be seriously impressed.

How does the guy sleep a night?  'Now if I do this that week, they might think I'm trying to make them think I'm going to do something different the following week, so if I actually go ahead and repeat it the following week, I might double bluff.  But maybe they're thinking that's what I'm going to do - attempt a double bluff..........'

Joe is a bastard.  He's using the poor Irish players as bloody cheap chess pieces.  That's why he doesn't want any Zebo flare.  You can't have chess pieces moving themselves.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:27 am

SecretFly wrote:The only problem for Joe in the theory that opponent B is watching how his side plays against opponent A, and that he then likes to surprise opponent B with a different style or different moves..... well, the only problem is you won't fool Cheika with too many tricks - whether they're one, two or three steps ahead in counter-intuitive planning.  Cheika will be playing the same games with his crowd and his mind.
So it'll be fun............... nervous fun........... but if Schmidt bluffs Cheika I'll be seriously impressed.

How does the guy sleep a night?  'Now if I do this that week, they might think I'm trying to make them think I'm going to do something different the following week, so if I actually go ahead and repeat it the following week, I might double bluff.  But maybe they're thinking that's what I'm going to do - attempt a double bluff..........'

Joe is a bastard.  He's using the poor Irish players as bloody cheap chess pieces.  That's why he doesn't want any Zebo flare.  You can't have chess pieces moving themselves.

Story checks out. D. Kearney does make as many yards as a pawn.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:43 am

Marshes wrote:
SecretFly wrote:The only problem for Joe in the theory that opponent B is watching how his side plays against opponent A, and that he then likes to surprise opponent B with a different style or different moves..... well, the only problem is you won't fool Cheika with too many tricks - whether they're one, two or three steps ahead in counter-intuitive planning.  Cheika will be playing the same games with his crowd and his mind.

Well it was a close contest but the award for the most laboured simile of the year goes to...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am

Marshes wrote:

Feic it Marshes I almost injured myself from laughing.... Ireland v Georgia Sunday 16th - Page 2 3933776953

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 am

oh sorry...I diverted the serious lads from their work.

Back to who should be left wing.......................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:55 am

SecretFly wrote:oh sorry...I diverted the serious lads from their work.

The Irish Goverment after the next election

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:06 pm

Oh don't start that one, Sub!  I think a few Kiwis might be the best option to buy in and do that job for us too.

"Yis have ta'pay, Lads.  Yis can't be drinkin' without payin'!"
"But we've no money left in our pokittzes to pay, m'Teeshock, sir.  Do you want us to do an internship as bank robbers?"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:54 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:Only having the scan tomorrow? Reckon that puts him out for the Georgia game so, Joe likes to have his starting XV practicing as the XV for the week before the game.  Tended to be the reason why so many players with a knock but assessed fit mid-week would end up on the bench.

Sounds like Georgia have about 50-60 minutes in them.  If you were only going to play Ross or McGrath for 30-40 minutes, would it not be smarter to get the game time under their belts off the bench when they are up against tiring bodies?

My hope for this game, irrespective of the players wearing the jerseys, is for Ireland to play to a set gameplan.  They need to improve the lineout and scrum. Play in the correct parts of the field. Don't be afraid to trust themselves and take a gap when they see it. And hopefully sprinkle some trick plays into procedings.

When at Leinster (and I don't want this to be a how great are Leinster comment, just a Joe mindset comment) Joe would take a couple of his set plays for a major fixture and try them match speed once (maybe even twice) during the game in the preceding week to have them run at match speed in proper match situation.  It's interesting to keep an eye out for those plays.  The play mightn't even work against a Georgia side because of their makeup but they will run them anyway but not enough times for it to be obvious that it is practice for next week (could be lineout, could be base of ruck, could first phase).

I want to see Henshaw again in the centres.  It will be interesting after the AIs how he plays back at Connacht, same goes for a lot of the wider squad players.

This is a great little post!!!!

One of the lads on my rugby team is a coach and went to a coaching seminar thing which Joe was at.
He was astounded about the stuff Joe was saying.
Joe works out that team X will work out how he attacks and set their defense based around that, for the big games he will then change the patterns of attack or focal points.

This is quite like what you're saying in a way, using games as preparation, be it setting a team up for a fall or rehearsing certain things. I am and was convinced at the time that the moves we pulled off against Italy last year were definitely for the benefit of France. That screen pass loop play was used lots against Italy and got us two tries, it didn't feature too often against France.

Very intelligent dude, we have on board.

There was an interesting comment from a BOD article during his final season where he talked about taking his own highlights into the video room with the analysts and reviewing them to see if he was becoming too predictable. Suppose it is the natural evolution of things that once detailed analysis is adopted by all teams, a certain amount of mis-information is then sprinkled in the data to try and confuse the geeks on their laptops!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:23 pm

Copeland, Cave, Conway and Furlong have been drafted into squad.

Probably will just hold tackle bags for the week.

I can understand Cave in with Payne taking the knock. How was POM going off the field, I assume he is the 8 cover for Heaslip so with Copeland in they must have a hesitation on either POM or Henry right? Thought Ross had a great game, are they putting him in cotton wool for Georgia game with Furlong taking the bench spot. Is Rob feeling a bit of pain to say an extra back 3 player has been drafted in?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 pm

According to Gavin Cummiskey in the IT the Irish team will be along the following lines;

1- Kilcoyne
2 - Strauss
3 - Ross
4 - Toner
5 - Foley
6 - Ruddock
7 - TOD
8 - Heaslip
9 - Reddan
10 - Madigan
11 - Gilroy
12 - D'Arcy
13 - Henshaw
14 - Zebo
15 - Jones

He also expects Keatley, Olding, McGrath, Cronin, and Ryan to be on the bench.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:24 pm

Gavin is the Times new Insider? Poor Thornley... he seems to have dropped his Crystal BOD (I mean Ball)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:52 pm

MunsterMac wrote:According to Gavin Cummiskey in the IT the Irish team will be along the following lines;

1- Kilcoyne
2 - Strauss
3 - Ross
4 - Toner
5 - Foley
6 - Ruddock
7 - TOD
8 - Heaslip
9 - Reddan
10 - Madigan
11 - Gilroy
12 - D'Arcy
13 - Henshaw
14 - Zebo
15 - Jones

He also expects Keatley, Olding, McGrath, Cronin, and Ryan to be on the bench.

id be very happy to see that team. would be good to see mariman get a run

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:04 pm

It will be surprising if Zebo is on the right wing (bearing in mind his left boot).

I saw somewhere that Luke Fitz has been sent back to Leinster (though I think all the provinces have a down week). I just hope to god Luke is ok.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Sin é wrote:It will be surprising if Zebo is on the right wing (bearing in mind his left boot).

I saw somewhere that Luke Fitz has been sent back to Leinster (though I think all the provinces have a down week). I just hope to god Luke is ok.

So Luke being sent back is why Conway is called up? That would make sense but only if Luke has a knock.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 pm

Good to see Tommy O Donnell getting a start in there (if this is correct). Would have preferred Marmion and Olding getting the start, but hopefully they will get a run out aswell.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:54 pm

Marshes wrote:Good to see Tommy O Donnell getting a start in there (if this is correct). Would have preferred Marmion and Olding getting the start, but hopefully they will get a run out aswell.

Ye would love to know what Schmidt's reasoning is for certain selections. Marmion's been at a different level this season to Reddan and Olding with a bit of game time will probably surpass Darce who I hope is not our 12 come the WC.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:11 pm

SecretFly wrote:oh sorry...I diverted the serious lads from their work.

Isn't the current guy a pawn star?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:49 am

I'd be happy with Cumisky's team, I just hope Marmion gets in somewhere. He is a better player than Reddan I think at provincial level, he needs to show us he can cut it at the next level up.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 am

Just thought it was interesting to see where each member of the Georgian squad plays:

#
Name
Club
DOB
CAP
BACKS
Merab KVIRIKASHVILIMontlucon FRA
11T 100C 96PT 3DG [552P]
Beka TSIKLAURILocomotive RC
T 8C 12PT 2DG [63P]
Giorgi APTSIAURIAIA RC
:
14/11
Irakli MACHKHANELIArmazi RC
24T [12 CAP]
14/11
Tamaz MchedlidzeAgen FRA
4T
14/11
Muraz GIORGADZEArmazi RC
T
13/12
David KACHARAVAEnisei RUS
14T [2 CAP]
13/12
Sandro TODUALelo Saracens
3T
13/12
Meran SHARIKADZEAurilliac FRA
7T [1 CAP]
Lasha MALAGURADZEStad Bagnerais FRA
3T 24C 20PN 3DG [132P]
Lasha KHMALADZELelo Saracens
3T
Giorgi BEGADZEKochebi RC
:
Vazha KHUTSISHVILIKharebi RC
:
FORWARDS
Mikheil NARIASHVILIMontpellier FRA
T
Zurab ZHVANIAStade France FRA
2T
Simon MAISURADZEValence FRA
:
Shalva MAMUKASHVILISale Sharks ENG
2T
Dudu KUBRIASHVILIStade France FRA
2T
Levan CHILACHAVAToulon FRA
3T
4/5
Levan DATUNASHVILIAurilliac FRA
3T
4/5
Giorgi NEMSADZETarbes FRA
7T
4/5
Kote MIKAUTADZEToulon FRA
T
4/5
Lasha LOMIDZEBeziers FRA
:
4-8
Giorgi CHKHAIDZELille FRA
10T [1 CAP]
6/7
Vito KOLELISHVILIClermont FRA
3T
6/7
Giorgi TKHILAISHVILIBatumi RC
T
Dimitri BASILAIAPerpignan FRA
6T
Beka BITSADZELocomotive RC
T
So I'm just guessing the team's strength is in the pack. Very Happy
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:44 am

George Carlin wrote:Just thought it was interesting to see where each member of the Georgian squad plays:

#
Name
Club
DOB
CAP
BACKS
Merab KVIRIKASHVILIMontlucon FRA
11T 100C 96PT 3DG [552P]
Beka TSIKLAURILocomotive RC
T 8C 12PT 2DG [63P]
Giorgi APTSIAURIAIA RC
:
14/11
Irakli MACHKHANELIArmazi RC
24T [12 CAP]
14/11
Tamaz MchedlidzeAgen FRA
4T
14/11
Muraz GIORGADZEArmazi RC
T
13/12
David KACHARAVAEnisei RUS
14T [2 CAP]
13/12
Sandro TODUALelo Saracens
3T
13/12
Meran SHARIKADZEAurilliac FRA
7T [1 CAP]
Lasha MALAGURADZEStad Bagnerais FRA
3T 24C 20PN 3DG [132P]
Lasha KHMALADZELelo Saracens
3T
Giorgi BEGADZEKochebi RC
:
Vazha KHUTSISHVILIKharebi RC
:
FORWARDS
Mikheil NARIASHVILIMontpellier FRA
T
Zurab ZHVANIAStade France FRA
2T
Simon MAISURADZEValence FRA
:
Shalva MAMUKASHVILISale Sharks ENG
2T
Dudu KUBRIASHVILIStade France FRA
2T
Levan CHILACHAVAToulon FRA
3T
4/5
Levan DATUNASHVILIAurilliac FRA
3T
4/5
Giorgi NEMSADZETarbes FRA
7T
4/5
Kote MIKAUTADZEToulon FRA
T
4/5
Lasha LOMIDZEBeziers FRA
:
4-8
Giorgi CHKHAIDZELille FRA
10T [1 CAP]
6/7
Vito KOLELISHVILIClermont FRA
3T
6/7
Giorgi TKHILAISHVILIBatumi RC
T
Dimitri BASILAIAPerpignan FRA
6T
Beka BITSADZELocomotive RC
T
So I'm just guessing the team's strength is in the pack. Very Happy

Here's a list of all Georgian players playing in the big leagues around Europe, 44 in total, only TWO backs!!!

http://tier2rugby.blogspot.nl/2014/10/players-from-tier-2-nations-playing-in.html

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 am

Sin é wrote:It will be surprising if Zebo is on the right wing (bearing in mind his left boot).

Fitz is a write off at this stage. I wouldnt be surprised if he never plays again for Ireland. Always injured, always botching try scoring ops, with just two tries in 27 games he is one of our least potent wingers/backs ever.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:51 am

More analysis from The Score for last weekends game....very good as usual.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/analysis-ireland-south-africa-rucks-1776408-Nov2014/?utm_source=shortlink

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:06 am

GunsGerms wrote:

Fitz is a write off at this stage. I wouldnt be surprised if he never plays again for Ireland. Always injured, always botching try scoring ops, with just two tries in 27 games he is one of our least potent wingers/backs ever.

His finishing is poor for a winger, but I think he would make an excellent centre.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:55 am

I dont. Doesnt have the required composure nor rugby brain to play in the centre. Id say he is a coaches worst nightmare.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:56 am

ME-109 wrote:More analysis from The Score for last weekends game....very good as usual.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/analysis-ireland-south-africa-rucks-1776408-Nov2014/?utm_source=shortlink

Looks like Bowe & Kearney will need to sort out the 'Ruck Resourcing' from that Smile

Zebo - tops the list with the 6 effective.

8 Mike Ross – 1 dominant, 5 effective, 2 guards

7 Paul O’Connell – 4 effective, 1 present, 2 ineffective

7 Peter O’Mahony – 1 dominant, 3 guard, 1 present, 2 ineffective

7 Jack McGrath – 5 effective, 1 guard, 1 ineffective

6 Jamie Heaslip – 2 effective, 2 guard, 2 present

6 Simon Zebo – 6 effective

5 Rhys Ruddock – 3 effective, 1 guard, 1 ineffective

2 Robbie Henshaw – 2 effective

2 Tommy Bowe – 1 effective, 1 ineffective

2 Rob Kearney – 1 guard, 1 ineffective
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Oh hello!!!!  A new word to play with!

Effective.

Yeah, he may have the world record for lowest centre of gavity, he may have exception positional instincts, he may have pace to burn, he may be a good breakdown beagle..................... but does he got Effectiveness numbers to back it all up?

Oh, I can see the future - and it's degrees of computerised 'effectiveness', 'guardedness, 'presentfulness' and tigerish 'dominance'.  Lovely.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Sin é wrote:
ME-109 wrote:More analysis from The Score for last weekends game....very good as usual.

Looks like Bowe & Kearney will need to sort out the 'Ruck Resourcing' from that Smile

Have you only quoted the stats where the player was second to the ruck? To be fair to Zebo, he did get stuck in on the day. Sort out his front on tackling and he's nearly there.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:23 pm

Submachine wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Have you only quoted the stats where the player was second to the ruck? To be fair to Zebo, he did get stuck in on the day. Sort out his front on tackling and he's nearly there.

For a second there I thought you were talking about Heaslip (poor on his rucking stats as well tut tut). So its front on tackling now....what next...stop attempting to score tries? Stop making hard yards? Stop being a winger ffs.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:26 pm

I don't see Sexton or Murray on any of those stats?  Those two must have had a bad game Wink  
Redden and Madigan really need to be given a chance  or this team is going nowhere fast.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:27 pm

I just did a tot of Zebo's tackles in his last 3 internationals:

Zebo: 9/1 4/0 2/1 = 15/2
Trimble: 5/3 1/0 Bowe: 5/2 = 11/5

Out of those stats, his tackling is better than the other wingers.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:28 pm

So thank Joe for making a man out of him Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:29 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Submachine wrote:
Sin é wrote:

For a second there I thought you were talking about Heaslip (poor on his rucking stats as well tut tut). So its front on tackling now....what next...stop attempting to score tries? Stop making hard yards? Stop being a winger ffs.

You do seem to be a little hard of understanding at times. I've said several times I think Zebo's criticism in defense is mostly unwarrented. He covers well, executes side on tackles well but where he has been exposed is when an opponent is running straight for him, he gets stood up at times and is left flat footed. He doesn't lack bravery in the attempt, it's sorting his feet out and getting into a better position to make the tackle.

Last edited by Submachine on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:I don't see Sexton or Murray on any of those stats?  Those two must have had a bad game Wink  
Redden and Madigan really need to be given a chance  or this team is going nowhere fast.

Zebo's lack of 'ruck resourcing' was the reason apparently why he wasn't getting selected for Ireland.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Sin é wrote:
SecretFly wrote:I don't see Sexton or Murray on any of those stats?  Those two must have had a bad game Wink  

Zebo's lack of 'ruck resourcing' was the reason apparently why he wasn't getting selected for Ireland.

Seems to have worked out for him.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Sin é wrote:

Thus the logic that if Joe is selecting him, it's improved (as stats show). Good man Zeebs, good man Joe. Tough love is getting there Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Really enjoyed that read, but not even slightly surprised that it's instantly being picked apart by anyone trying to prove themselves right.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Mickado wrote:

Really enjoyed that read, but not even slightly surprised that it's instantly being picked apart by anyone trying to prove themselves right.

I'm not sure who you are trying to have a dig at, but from the various internet fora, Zebo apparently was poor in the game making little or no contribution.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Why worry about the doubters, Sin?  Joe believes now and that's all that matters.  Zebo is in and is holding his own.  It doesn't matter what the sofa sitters say Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:58 pm

SecretFly wrote:Why worry about the doubters, Sin?  Joe believes now and that's all that matters.  Zebo is in and is holding his own.  It doesn't matter what the sofa sitters say Wink

Actually, I think its all a bit amusing. Joe's/IRFU handling of Zebo was a PR disaster outside a few white and blued eyed supporters. It should never have been allowed to become a personality thing.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Zebo only has himself to blame for his own antics. To try an blame Zebo's poor attitude on Schmidt is weak logic.

Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Every era has its 'fun' with personalities.  How many famously infamous people say 'I'd prefer to be known and hated than ignored'.

What about O'Gara? - there was a personality battle - not only between him and his underling, Sexton (a lot of that media and social media induced too!) - but also at the latter stages, the O'Gara personality came into conflict with his old mentor.  More fun for the media and the social media operators.

That's what sport always is - a mix of the actual sport and the extra fun of personality clashes and coaching dramas.  Fans say tut tut at times bu,t really, the turth is that they enjoy the drama and the personality clashes and Cantona driving his boot into a supporter, and Keane ranting in a tunnel, and Mickelson's knife in the back (and front) of his Ryder Cup Captain etc, etc.
It's colour.  
Schmidt coaches the way he wants to coach.  He didn't rush to the media to tell them why he wasn't picking Zebo - they rushed his way and demanded news of "Why?", "How?", "You can't be serious?"  And many of those mouths were Munster mouths and a good few of them were here in this place.  
So who made it a personality thing?  The people who didn't like the idea that Schmidt wasn't picking Zebo.  They personalised it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:13 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Zebo only has himself to blame for his own antics. To try an blame Zebo's poor attitude on Schmidt is weak logic.

It should never have gotten into the public arena. His Provincial Head coach should not have had to defend Zebo in public. It was a very poor PR move.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Zebo only has himself to blame for his own antics. To try an blame Zebo's poor attitude on Schmidt is weak logic.

It should never have gotten into the public arena. His Provincial Head coach should not have had to defend Zebo in public. It was a very poor PR move.

How would that have happened?  By forcing Schmidt to pick a player he didn't yet want to pick?  That would have killed the growing curiosity, would have killed the direct questions put to Schmidt by the media, led by their social media press pack - they put the question, and if Schmidt is anything he's a resolutely clear unapologetic communicator of what he sees as the truth.  So he gave a few details and the Provincial coach is 'forced' to 'defend' his player.  Penny should have kept his mouth closed and say it was an Ireland camp issue.  That's what would have kept a lid on it.  But he chose to add to the media stuff.  

There you go.  More nice history for sports fans to go over and go over through the decades.  Remember the big spat about Simon Zebo back at the beginning of the century? Wink  Ah yes, I do.  It was fun times.  As was the big BOD/Gatland meltdown.  All fun.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:22 pm

SecretFly wrote:Every era has its 'fun' with personalities.  How many famously infamous people say 'I'd prefer to be known and hated than ignored'.

What about O'Gara? - there was a personality battle - not only between him and his underling, Sexton (a lot of that media and social media induced too!) - but also at the latter stages, the O'Gara personality came into conflict with his old mentor.  More fun for the media and the social media operators.

Both Kidney & O'Gara kept their mouth's shut. The only one to have a few digs at Kidney is BOD who obviously never forgave him for a) walking away from Leinster and b) taking the captaincy from him.

Schmidt coaches the way he wants to coach.  He didn't rush to the media to tell them why he wasn't picking Zebo - they rushed his way and demanded news of "Why?", "How?", "You can't be serious?"  And many of those mouths were Munster mouths and a good few of them were here in this place.  
So who made it a personality thing?  The people who didn't like the idea that Schmidt wasn't picking Zebo.  They personalised it.

You see, no one could understand why Zebo wasn't being picked. Don't forget, he was voted Ireland player of the Year the year before in a public vote (so the guy wasn't just popular down Munster way).

I do think it is extraordinary though that Penney made the comments about 'Tally Poppy Syndrome' about kiwis which was definately a shot a Schmidt.

Its informative how the IRFU PR people have tried to change the narrative of how Zebo had a few things to work on (like rucking and defence), when we all know that it was apparently Zebo being a bit casual about going to a meeting or something like that.

edit: one thing Schmidt still hasn't managed to get Zeebs to pull up his socks Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:25 pm

Gas lads Munster folk.

Zebo plays in the last three test matches and you're still not happy.

You can always tell a Munster man. But you can't tell him much.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Submachine wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Submachine wrote:
Sin é wrote:

You do seem to be a little hard of understanding at times. I've said several times I think Zebo's criticism in defense is mostly unwarrented. He covers well, executes side on tackles well but where he has been exposed is when an opponent is running straight for him, he gets stood up at times and is left flat footed. He doesn't lack bravery in the attempt, it's sorting his feet out and getting into a better position to make the tackle.

I know you have an impressive view of yourself but I am not about to go back and read all your posts to dissect a soundbite based on some p1sspoor analysis of which you could make up about any player on the team.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:29 pm

Dods on the warpath again.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:30 pm

There you go - Penny having a SHOT. Penny enjoying the ride of having a SHOT at a fellow Kiwi. Great stuff. You think he didn't enjoy having a SHOT?
So why didn't he keep his mouth closed and mind his own business? Did he help make it a 'bigger issue' for the fans that love the bite of the drama? Sure he did.
Should he apologise? No. It was entertainment.

Kidney keeps quiet, yes. Dignified nice man who is almost too nice for the sport he was in. O'Gara didn't though. You obviously missed a good few interviews where O'Gara has a SHOT at his mentor. Should he apologise for stirring? Nope. It's part of the game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:30 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Submachine wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Submachine wrote:
Sin é wrote:

I know you have an impressive view of yourself but I am not about to go back and read all your posts to dissect a soundbite based on some p1sspoor analysis of which you could make up about any player on the team.

Didn't ask you to. But just for kicks and giggles. Could you give an objective view of Zebo? Strengths and weaknesses? Or a are you so programmed not to see any faults in a Munster player that you believe he has no room for improvement in any area?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Submachine wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Submachine wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Submachine wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Didn't ask you to. But just for kicks and giggles. Could you give an objective view of Zebo? Strengths and weaknesses? Or a are you so  programmed not to see any faults in a Munster player that you believe he has no room for improvement in any area?

Munster players have many faults (what player doesnt). However the reaction is to the usual poor arguments from the usual quarters.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next