The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts?

+10
RubyGuby
HammerofThunor
Welly
bedfordwelsh
LordDowlais
Cardiff Dave
broadlandboy
wayne
ScarletSpiderman
Seagultaf
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts? Empty What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts?

Post by Seagultaf Mon 15 Dec 2014, 2:35 pm

Now that the Lydiate issue has been settled, what's the news on the other promised Central Contracts. The vultures in the richer English clubs have already started to gather. See link below:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-head-coach-wayne-pivac-8287585

I know its in the Fail but it quotes Wayne Pivac so should have some substance! Jake Ball and Liam Williams are two of the most promising stars in the Welsh game and whilst Priestland has his knockers, he was MoM yesterday and he is in this week's Planet Rugby team of the week.

So it's now up to Roger the Dodger to put up and sort out this central contract issue once and for all or (hopefully) ship out!!!!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts? Empty Re: What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 15 Dec 2014, 2:44 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Now that the Lydiate issue has been settled, what's the news on the other promised Central Contracts. The vultures in the richer English clubs have already started to gather. See link below:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-head-coach-wayne-pivac-8287585

I know its in the Fail but it quotes Wayne Pivac so should have some substance! Jake Ball and Liam Williams are two of the most promising stars in the Welsh game and whilst Priestland has his knockers, he was MoM yesterday and he is in this week's Planet Rugby team of the week.

So it's now up to Roger the Dodger to put up and sort out this central contract issue once and for all or (hopefully) ship out!!!!

He ain't that fat is he?? Whistle

These dual contract things seem to be dragging on as long as Woger's new regions were when we didn't sign up last December. Maybe if we wait for the more expensive players like Lee, Ball, Sanjay, Tipuric etc to leave we can then use the DC money to keep hold of the really important players like Anscombe, Tyler Morgan and Amos.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts? Empty Re: What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts?

Post by wayne Mon 15 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Now that the Lydiate issue has been settled, what's the news on the other promised Central Contracts. The vultures in the richer English clubs have already started to gather. See link below:

He ain't that fat is he?? Whistle

These dual contract things seem to be dragging on as long as Woger's new regions were when we didn't sign up last December.  Maybe if we wait for the more expensive players like Lee, Ball, Sanjay, Tipuric etc to leave we can then use the DC money to keep hold of the really important players like Anscombe, Tyler Morgan and Amos.
SS, he needs something substantial to carry out his bonus

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Mon 15 Dec 2014, 3:09 pm

Just a question but how many players for each position should be signed?

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 15 Dec 2014, 3:14 pm

broadlandboy wrote:Just a question but how many players for each position should be signed?

My view is that it should be the best 15/22 players available, but its likely to be a numbers game with each region getting a similar number, hence Amos and Tyler Morgan, promising players yes but not yet ready for match day 22.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 15 Dec 2014, 5:40 pm

Reckon DCs are a wind up. Like the Scarlets winding up. That's another wind up.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 16 Dec 2014, 5:04 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Reckon DCs are a wind up. Like the Scarlets winding up. That's another wind up.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Scarlets have 9 players retained by Wales for the 4th AI against SA. What business would not struggle to pay its bills when its employees spend up to half of their time with Team Wales?

Lets get back to the topic, Cardiff Blues (we assume) have 2 Dual Contract players, Warbs and Anscombe. Who else do you see getting a dual contract at Cardiff and how are they likely to spend the money freed up?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:02 pm

The Scarlets are in talks with three of their players over new contracts:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30497702

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:23 pm

Ospreys in talks with Tips too.  But no dual contract talk about this from the union yet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30513817
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:26 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Ospreys in talks with Tips too.  But no dual contract talk about this from the union yet

Yeah, I put that on another thread, the Ospreys one, but Welly still seems to think he is going to Leicester.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:26 pm

Surely this is the big issue " no dual contract talk from the WRU"?

The first option should be to retain existing top players in the Regions not just bringing players back to Wales!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 12:55 pm

Seagultaf wrote:Surely this is the big issue " no dual contract talk from the WRU"?

The first option should be to retain existing top players in the Regions not just bringing players back to Wales!

I think they are doing similar to the North situation, sitting back hoping the regions sort it out (cheapest option), before wading in and saving the day (as they tried to do then).

If the regions retain the stars themselves, then it frees up cash to spend on bringing boys home. Or even better buying foreigners who we can trurn Welsh mad
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:00 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:Surely this is the big issue " no dual contract talk from the WRU"?

I think they are doing similar to the North situation, sitting back hoping the regions sort it out (cheapest option), before wading in and saving the day (as they tried to do then).  

If the regions retain the stars themselves, then it frees up cash to spend on bringing boys home.  Or even better buying foreigners who we can turn Welsh mad

Not a very well thought out strategy if that's what the WRU is trying to do! If the regions spend their player budget on retaining their Welsh stars they there wont be any cash left for them to pay their 40% of the dual contracts.

Also list of 12 dual contracts apparently offered in the Fail again today: Includes Anscombe, young Amos and Morgan of the Dragons who all at present are outside the Wales match day squad. Also Rhodri Jones, who struggles to get game time for the Scarlets! Surely this money would be better spent on the likes of Tipuric, Ball and Sanjay?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:14 pm

Seagultaf wrote: Surely this money would be better spent on the likes of Tipuric, Ball and Sanjay?.

I think it's the regions who are playing hardball on this, they are trying to tie up there best players so that they can use them for more than half a season.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:22 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Seagultaf wrote: Surely this money would be better spent on the likes of Tipuric, Ball and Sanjay?.

I think it's the regions who are playing hardball on this, they are trying to tie up there best players so that they can use them for more than half a season.

LordDowlais, if you are correct then the dual contracts idea is doomed to failure. Lets hope that the regions are just looking for a bit more flexibility on how they can use dual contract players.

Scott Williams is a good example he was injured for the bulk of last season and has pretty much ever present in the Scarlets side this season, and its done him good as he is now in fine form. If he signs a central contract, the Scarlets will see very little of their captain for the second half of the season. Some players just seem to thrive on playing, such as Dan Biggar. There must be room for compromise for this dual contract arrangement to work.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:24 pm

I agree, the WRU apparently told the Ospreys to rest AWJ at the start of the season, and because they did he was not happy, some players just like playing, week in week out, so there has to be some flexability otherwise how would the regions be able to compete in the league ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 17 Dec 2014, 2:52 pm

Its no surprise to me at all that this hasn't hey been sorted, there is so much ill trust between the Unions and Regions that it was always going to take time.

However while it drags on then players are still going to have to find and earn a living and with contracts coming to the end who can blame them if they take the better offer on the table at that time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Dec 2014, 3:51 pm

The Scarlets have just signed some WQ Australian,Jack Payne, aussie U20`s player in this year junior world cup, queensland red. Welsh qualified, Welsh father. 6ft 5in - 18st 3llb, blindside.

Has anybody else heard anything on this ScarletSpiderman, any answers ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Dec 2014, 3:52 pm

Phill Bennett is not happy about it either:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30489314

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 17 Dec 2014, 3:58 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Ospreys in talks with Tips too.  But no dual contract talk about this from the union yet

Yeah, I put that on another thread, the Ospreys one, but Welly still seems to think he is going to Leicester.

In talks means nothing in this day and age.

Until someone has signed a new contract there is still a chance.

Mind you we are being linked to a lot of backrowers ATM.

Tips
 Dusatior
 Alberts
 Kaino
 Nyanga

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:15 pm

LordDowlais wrote:The Scarlets have just signed some WQ Australian,Jack Payne, aussie U20`s player in this year junior world cup, queensland red. Welsh qualified, Welsh father. 6ft 5in - 18st 3llb, blindside.

Has anybody else heard anything on this ScarletSpiderman, any answers ?

Yeah he is the welsh qualified number 8 we said we were signing back when hala'never-here officially left.  Supposedly he is going to take some work, much like Ben Morgan and Jake Ball did.  I'm not too sure what Benny's objections are as surely a welsh qualified Aussie is less of an outsider than the Tongan international he replaced.

Definitely a long way before he will be dual contract candidate.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:16 pm

Also Jack Payne, is a good name for him, in a few years when he is crushing the Ospreys during the derbies
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:16 pm

He said people in Llanelli (forgetting about the wider region Smile) would have preferred a local boy, but he supposes it's better for Team Wales

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:He said people in Llanelli (forgetting about the wider region Smile) would have preferred a local boy, but he supposes it's better for Team Wales

Sadly, and I mean no disrespect, Benny is off the generation that don't understand regionalism. Also could be argued he's a bit borderline something-ist (not sure which -ist), with his we want welsh speakers line.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:27 pm

How can Phil Bennett come out with something like that, when he agreed when somebody said they were going to 'Scour the world' for talent and make them WQ, until the WRU vetoed that idea ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:36 pm

LordDowlais wrote:How can Phil Bennett come out with something like that, when he agreed when somebody said they were going to 'Scour the world' for talent and make them WQ, until the WRU vetoed that idea ?

First I have heard of the WRU vetoing that idea, in fact I thought it was the WRU's main strategy: Anscombe, Ball, Dirksen, I am sure there are loads more?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:43 pm

Benny is barking - whilst Ireland and England continue to use the ridiculous residency rule as an entry into their national team - Benny wants to decline us from having a player who's father is welsh - I knew they were a bit parochial down west but c'mon Munn! thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:00 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Reckon DCs are a wind up. Like the Scarlets winding up. That's another wind up.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Scarlets have 9 players retained by Wales for the 4th AI against SA. What business would not struggle to pay its bills when its employees spend up to half of their time with Team Wales?

Lets get back to the topic, Cardiff Blues (we assume) have 2 Dual Contract players, Warbs and Anscombe. Who else do you see getting a dual contract at Cardiff and how are they likely to spend the money freed up?

Dunno mate. Haven't given it much thought really.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:02 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:He said people in Llanelli (forgetting about the wider region Smile) would have preferred a local boy, but he supposes it's better for Team Wales

Sadly, and I mean no disrespect, Benny is off the generation that don't understand regionalism.  Also could be argued he's a bit borderline  something-ist (not sure which -ist), with his we want welsh speakers line.

Me neither. Do tell. I double dare you.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:02 pm

I think Tavis Knoyle will get a dual contract Dave, One with the Blues and one with MacDonalds thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:04 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Sadly, and I mean no disrespect, Benny is off the generation that don't understand regionalism.  Also could be argued he's a bit borderline  something-ist (not sure which -ist), with his we want welsh speakers line.

Dai, to be honest I got you down as a someone of there same generation, maybe older (gauging by your posting habits)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:07 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I think Tavis Knoyle will get a dual contract Dave, One with the Blues and one with MacDonalds thumbsup

Queen St or St Mary St?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

Dai, to be honest I got you down as a someone of there same generation, maybe older (gauging by your posting habits)

So what you're saying is i'm wise beyond my years and that I can see the forest regardless of all the chuffing trees. I like it.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:24 pm

More like you remind me of my nan, stubborn, awkward, unbudging, but still somehow lovable kiss
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:24 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Benny is barking

Fits right in then coz Welsh rugby has been barking for years. Saying that, we have green shoots appearing at last which is good, I hope.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:33 pm

4 titles. 3 grand slams and RWC semi-final in 9 years - The structure and bureaucrats night be barking but we've done ok on the pitch, more than green shoots I think and lots to be optimistic about thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 17 Dec 2014, 5:40 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:More like you remind me of my nan, stubborn, awkward, unbudging, but still somehow lovable kiss

That's my old man you've described, but i'm the opposite. Flexible, willing to listen and budgeable. So what does Benny etc not understand about so called "regionalism"?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 6:02 pm

Ha, I forgot to say always trying to get a bite too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 17 Dec 2014, 6:09 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Ha, I forgot to say always trying to get a bite too.  

Go on. Explain "regionalism". I triple dare you.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 6:20 pm

Why not go back have a nose at the half dozen threads where we have had the debate before?

Anyway its odd only the Dragons have said officially which players have been tapped up for dual contracts.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 17 Dec 2014, 6:37 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Why not go back have a nose at the half dozen threads where we have had the debate before?

Anyway its odd only the Dragons have said officially which players have been tapped up for dual contracts.
SS, it is not the Dragons, now you know why he has one of the two nicknames we've given him, the LIP, he cannot stop it twitching and giving out information he shouldn't.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 17 Dec 2014, 6:43 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Why not go back have a nose at the half dozen threads where we have had the debate before?

You said;
"Benny is off the generation that don't understand regionalism."
What do you mean by that?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 17 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

You said;
"Benny is off the generation that don't understand regionalism."
What do you mean by that?

I'm guessing it was because my tablet is iffy and I somehow touched the f twice, it should have been 'of' not 'off', oops

Wayne, I guess your right there. Most over coaches, directors of rugby, head honchos etc, do tend to say they don't want to mention specifics of players contracts etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

SS - Can we let Priestland go to England please to play in the Aviva? thumbsup

Please!

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:25 pm

It is looking more than likely that Preistland is off then:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/bath-rugby-leading-london-irish-8308621

There now might be a little bit more to the Owen Williams rumours.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:30 pm

If he goes to Bath he has no ambition - he will only be a reserve

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:32 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:If he goes to Bath he has no ambition - he will only be a very wealthy reserve

there you go fixed it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:51 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It is looking more than likely that Preistland is off then:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/bath-rugby-leading-london-irish-8308621

That's quite amusing. A Walesonline article entirely based on a Bath Chronical article, which in turn is entirely based on a South Wales Evening Post article. Which itself just says "Bath are believed to be winning the battle to secure the services of the man who helped navigate Wales to a World Cup semi-final in 2011". Doesn't say who their source is (not even 'club insider').

Basically a non-story at the moment.

And I doubt he would be on that much at Bath. They still have a salary cap and not even Bruce is stupid enough to waste a marque slot on a backup 10.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 18 Dec 2014, 12:52 pm

Agreed Bath will not pay top money for a reserve - LI seems far more likely

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 18 Dec 2014, 1:22 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:It is looking more than likely that Preistland is off then:-

That's quite amusing. A Walesonline article entirely based on a Bath Chronical article, which in turn is entirely based on a South Wales Evening Post article. Which itself just says "Bath are believed to be winning the battle to secure the services of the man who helped navigate Wales to a World Cup semi-final in 2011". Doesn't say who their source is (not even 'club insider').

Basically a non-story at the moment.

And I doubt he would be on that much at Bath. They still have a salary cap and not even Bruce is stupid enough to waste a marque slot on a backup 10.

There is no smoke without fire, and anyway why do you all reckon he will be a backup ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next