The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts?

+10
RubyGuby
HammerofThunor
Welly
bedfordwelsh
LordDowlais
Cardiff Dave
broadlandboy
wayne
ScarletSpiderman
Seagultaf
14 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts? - Page 4 Empty What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts?

Post by Seagultaf Mon 15 Dec 2014, 2:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Now that the Lydiate issue has been settled, what's the news on the other promised Central Contracts. The vultures in the richer English clubs have already started to gather. See link below:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/scarlets-head-coach-wayne-pivac-8287585

I know its in the Fail but it quotes Wayne Pivac so should have some substance! Jake Ball and Liam Williams are two of the most promising stars in the Welsh game and whilst Priestland has his knockers, he was MoM yesterday and he is in this week's Planet Rugby team of the week.

So it's now up to Roger the Dodger to put up and sort out this central contract issue once and for all or (hopefully) ship out!!!!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts?

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:35 pm

Welly wrote:Andy Goode might be looking for a new club.

I don't think Andy Goode is quite up to it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts? - Page 4 Empty Re: What's the latest on WRU Central Contracts?

Post by Welly Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:50 pm

He set the record for most points scored in a single game in the AP the other week.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:56 pm

Welly wrote:He set the record for most points scored in a single game in the AP the other week.

Well done him...! He is still a crap player though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:11 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Welly wrote:He set the record for most points scored in a single game in the AP the other week.

Well done him...! He is still a crap player though.

Compared to you obviously.

I am hoping the Dragons go in for him again Welly. He certainly isn't a crap player. He's a very good club player.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:20 pm

I'd be more than happy to have someone like Goode in the squad, he isn't anything special as such, but he is solid and reliable. Much like Sean Connor was at the Ospreys and Dragons.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:27 pm

Hiring Andy Goode as a first choice flyhalf at one of the regions is about as useful as getting Dan Parkes in.

I can not believe you are actually discussing him as a realistic option?

Rev, Tovey is by far a more well rounded and accomplished player than Goode will ever be.

Spider, at the Scarlets Shingler is a better player already.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:31 pm

Maes, you need to have more than one decent option in each position to be able to survive a season. Shingler and Tovey are good players, but Goode is a far better option to be pushing them (and fill in for injury/drop in form) than either the Scarlets or the Dragons have at the moment (providing Rhys is gone).

But to be honest Goode is ineligible for a National Dual Contract, so this discussion is probably better off on a different thread.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:40 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Maes, you need to have more than one decent option in each position to be able to survive a season.  Shingler and Tovey are good players, but Goode is a far better option to be pushing them (and fill in for injury/drop in form) than either the Scarlets or the Dragons have at the moment (providing Rhys is gone).

But to be honest Goode is ineligible for a National Dual Contract, so this discussion is probably better off on a different thread.

Even out of has been English back ups at least aim for Quality...! Charlie Hodgeson is the best flyhalf they have had in ten years. Maybe he would like to play out his last few remaining years on the Costa del Carmarthenshire...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:41 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Even out of has been English back ups at least aim for Quality...! Charlie Hodgeson is the best flyhalf they have had in ten years. Maybe he would like to play out his last few remaining years on the Costa del Carmarthenshire...?

No he wouldn't. Both are ideal club fly-halves but only Goode is on the market. He'd be a welcome addition at the Dragons (like Henson) as we only have one fly-half and a couple premiership rookie's. Goode isn't a decent place kicker as far as I know, but luckily we have Prydie to do that.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:48 pm

Goode is a top place kicker!!!

Give him attacking weapons outside and he will use them, he also has a brilliant drop kick.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:50 pm

Hodge sons contract expires at the end of this season same as Goode, if you had to pick an English flyhalf I would have thought anyone who knows their rugby would have Hodgeson over Goode without a second thought.

Anyhow the likelyhood of either becoming Scarlets or dragons is unlikely.

The likelihood of OBrien or Lewis getting a shot is far more likely. Not sure About Henson but I guess dragons need to reinforce their centre as much as their flyhalf.

Dixon and Morgan look very good prospects at the moment and Tovey is back to his best.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:51 pm

Welly wrote:Goode is a top place kicker!!!

Give him attacking weapons outside and he will use them, he also has a brilliant drop kick.

He looks more like Nick Easter every year, overweight...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:55 pm

maestegmafia wrote:and Tovey is back to his best.

The kid is just an injury waiting to happen though. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:56 pm

But the would scarlets be able to outbid Sarries?

As sarries will want him for another season (After which he will likely retire).

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 4:58 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:and Tovey is back to his best.

The kid is just an injury waiting to happen though. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 05 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Hiring Andy Goode as a first choice flyhalf at one of the regions is about as useful as getting Dan Parkes in.

Rev, Tovey is by far a more well rounded and accomplished player than Goode will ever be.

As in, rotund?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Jan 2015, 6:42 pm

I don't know my rugby, but I know his name is Hodgson. Also, I do class Goode as more of a solid player than Hodgson.

Also, why is Goode coming unlikely? He was certainly considering it before, as he visited Newport for talks. But then, I guess I don't know my rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 05 Jan 2015, 7:02 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I don't know my rugby, but I know his name is Hodgson. Also, I do class Goode as more of a solid player than Hodgson.

Also, why is Goode coming unlikely? He was certainly considering it before, as he visited Newport for talks. But then, I guess I don't know my rugby.

Goode or Tovey?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Jan 2015, 7:23 pm

I don't have a clue what you're on about sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 05 Jan 2015, 7:32 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I don't have a clue what you're on about sorry.

If you had a choice; Goode or Tovey at 10 for the Drags?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Jan 2015, 7:43 pm

I would play Tovey on the whole, but then in certain games a player like Goode would be a handy option for his composure (such as some away games). As an example, I doubt if Goode would've gone for the miracle drop goal from the halfway line as Dorian Jones did on NYD (had he come off the bench).

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Jan 2015, 8:43 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Hiring Andy Goode as a first choice flyhalf at one of the regions is about as useful as getting Dan Parkes in.

As in, rotund?

No Goode is the fat knacker not Tovey

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 05 Jan 2015, 9:10 pm

Surely this would be a backward step if they signed Goode wouldn't it?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Jan 2015, 9:20 pm

Why?

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 05 Jan 2015, 9:37 pm

You know I wasn't being completely serious about Goode.

How about Colin Slade then.

Or bring back Barkley.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 05 Jan 2015, 11:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Hodge sons contract expires at the end of this season same as Goode, if you had to pick an English flyhalf I would have thought anyone who knows their rugby would have Hodgeson over Goode without a second thought.

The likelihood of OBrien or Lewis getting a shot is far more likely. Not sure About Henson but I guess dragons need to reinforce their centre as much as their flyhalf.

Dixon and Morgan look very good prospects at the moment and Tovey is back to his best.

One is at the richest club in England, who are also a successful one. It's not a matter of who we want, it's who is available. I can't see it being Hodgson. I reckon he'll either stay with Sarries or go to France.
Neither is at the Dragons or rumoured. O'Brien and Lewis are within their region - atm it doesn't take a genius to see which scenario is more likely.... Hopefully we hear more news on the matter soon.

Maes, I also don't think I've seen Tovey back to his best since he returned to us from Blues.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 05 Jan 2015, 11:19 pm

Welly wrote:You know I wasn't being completely serious about Goode.

How about Colin Slade then.

Or bring back Barkley.

Both would provide decent cover until each team strengthens their squad. Slade going to the Scarlets is more likely, kiwi coach and all that. If you believe everything on here; Slade is the joint 4th best fly-half in the world with Tom Taylor - behind Barrett, Carter and Cruden. ghost So it would be a good choice.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:44 am

The Saint wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Hodge sons contract expires at the end of this season same as Goode, if you had to pick an English flyhalf I would have thought anyone who knows their rugby would have Hodgeson over Goode without a second thought.

One is at the richest club in England, who are also a successful one. It's not a matter of who we want, it's who is available. I can't see it being Hodgson. I reckon he'll either stay with Sarries or go to France.
Neither is at the Dragons or rumoured. O'Brien and Lewis are within their region - atm it doesn't take a genius to see which scenario is more likely.... Hopefully we hear more news on the matter soon.

Maes, I also don't think I've seen Tovey back to his best since he returned to us from Blues.

Saint reading your posts I don't think you ever think any player plays well. I am surprised that you persist with watching the sport at all...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Saint reading your posts I don't think you ever think any player plays well. I am surprised that you persist with watching the sport at all...

Where as you seem to think the opposite, without substance - how else could you rate guys like Knoyle and Priestland?

Looking at Wales, our U20s have gone backwards by miles. We need full time Regional A teams, which we don't have. We can still produce some exceptional players, or very poor ones (Scott Andrews, etc.). For me there is no middle ground, and this is where you find good club players who consistently produce good displays for the club, but can't quite make the step-up to international level as often. This is where we're behind England, France and Ireland - hence them having better club squads. Money helps too I guess, but the Irish are coping.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 06 Jan 2015, 4:58 pm

The Saint wrote:Looking at Wales, our U20s have gone backwards by miles.

I think that has got more to do with the man in charge of them than the actual players themselves, also, here in Wales, we tend to put a few U20 players in the senior squad and that depletes the u20's.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 06 Jan 2015, 5:09 pm

The Saint wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Where as you seem to think the opposite, without substance - how else could you rate guys like Knoyle and Priestland?

Looking at Wales, our U20s have gone backwards by miles. We need full time Regional A teams, which we don't have. We can still produce some exceptional players, or very poor ones (Scott Andrews, etc.). For me there is no middle ground, and this is where you find good club players who consistently produce good displays for the club, but can't quite make the step-up to international level as often. This is where we're behind England, France and Ireland - hence them having better club squads. Money helps too I guess, but the Irish are coping.

Would having these A teams affect the Welsh Prem?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 06 Jan 2015, 5:14 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Saint wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Again, it's subjective. I believe club rugby in Wales needs an overhaul anyway. The A teams are set up mainly for B & I cup, but obviously they'd need more matches to prepare - so yeah it would affect the premiership. I say pause the premiership when it's time and make way for the A teams. B&I cup round over, revert back to premiership. Hopefully the A teams are also supplemented by regional fringe players. I'd also extend the premiership and have an upper & lower tier, a bit like the league they have in New Zealand.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 06 Jan 2015, 5:28 pm

The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Saint wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Again, it's subjective. I believe club rugby in Wales needs an overhaul anyway. The A teams are set up mainly for B & I cup, but obviously they'd need more matches to prepare - so yeah it would affect the premiership. I say pause the premiership when it's time and make way for the A teams. B&I cup round over, revert back to premiership. Hopefully the A teams are also supplemented by regional fringe players. I'd also extend the premiership and have an upper & lower tier, a bit like the league they have in New Zealand.

So what you are suggesting is that Cardiff Blues A replace Ponty in the BIC. Ouch! Where's Steff?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 06 Jan 2015, 7:01 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Saint wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:

So what you are suggesting is that Cardiff Blues A replace Ponty in the BIC. Ouch! Where's Steff?

Pretty much, and the response from Ponty would be hilarious. If it goes that way, the Blues should reconsider a new name for their A team and have half their games at Sardis road.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Jan 2015, 8:25 am

The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Saint wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Pretty much, and the response from Ponty would be hilarious. If it goes that way, the Blues should reconsider a new name for their A team and have half their games at Sardis road.

So you base the team in Ponty, and you call them the Valley Blues as opposed to the Cardiff Blues A.  Likewise with the Scarlets A playing out of Carmarthen being called Dyfyd Reds or something, Dragons in Cross Keys/Ebbw, and Ospreys in Neath/Bridgend.  Look at the English A league, and there are a lot of those that have nicknames as opposed to just being Town/City A, and I think Ulster have the same too (Ulster Ravens is it?).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:27 am

More contracts are on the way, apparently:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30702622

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:34 am

LordDowlais wrote:More contracts are on the way, apparently:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30702622

Isn't that the same article they ran in November Whistle
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:36 am

Probably, they have just added the names of the players who have now signed them and turned it into a new story. Erm

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:46 am

The Priestland articles talk about foriegn based players not getting picked for Wales once 6 frontline Welsh players are on dual contract. Currently there are three aren't there (Warburton, Lidiate and Ball). Will the other three be taken up do you think? And who is it likely to be?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:48 am

HammerofThunor wrote:The Priestland articles talk about foriegn based players not getting picked for Wales once 6 frontline Welsh players are on dual contract.  Currently there are three aren't there (Warburton, Lidiate and Ball). Will the other three be taken up do you think? And who is it likely to be?

Anscombe will be one for definate.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 07 Jan 2015, 10:21 am

HammerofThunor wrote:The Priestland articles talk about foriegn based players not getting picked for Wales once 6 frontline Welsh players are on dual contract.  Currently there are three aren't there (Warburton, Lydiate and Ball). Will the other three be taken up do you think? And who is it likely to be?

According to a Scarlets fan that used to post on here, there are a few different caveats to this non-welsh based players thing. One of them is that if a player has put in 10 years service to their region prior to moving away they are still eligible to be selected even after they have moved away. I then noticed on the Beeb article about Priest moving it did say "Priestland will switch to the Premiership after this summer's World Cup, bringing to an end his 10-year association with the Pro12 club.".

I also noticed that when Rhodri Jones signed his contract, it was announced he had signed a Dual Contract, but when Jake Ball signed his it was announced he signed a National Dual Contract. Are these the same thing, or is there also something in the RSA that differentiates the two?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 07 Jan 2015, 10:26 am

I must admit, I don't see the point of signing up players who are already contracted, to a new contract. They're already in Wales, they'll be in Wales for the next few years (I assume he's on at least 2 year contract, but might be a year trial). You want to sign up the guys that are leaving for more money.

Also, how does it work going forward? Let's say they sign up players now, and use up al the money, with 2 year contracts. What happens next year if someone else's contract is up but there's no money for a dual contract? In fact, what happens to the money if it's not all used up.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:22 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I must admit, I don't see the point of signing up players who are already contracted, to a new contract. They're already in Wales, they'll be in Wales for the next few years (I assume he's on at least 2 year contract, but might be a year trial).  You want to sign up the guys that are leaving for more money.

Also, how does it work going forward? Let's say they sign up players now, and use up al the money, with 2 year contracts. What happens next year if someone else's contract is up but there's no money for a dual contract? In fact, what happens to the money if it's not all used up.

As I understand it, any left over DC lucre gets shared out between the 4 pro clubs, meaning that regardless of who signed up and for whom, it's half a million quid each at the end of the day, whatever.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:36 pm

The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Their fans would be livid I reckon.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

We should never give in to terrorist demands.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 07 Jan 2015, 9:53 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

We should never give in to terrorist demands.

If the last 10 years is anything to go by, we'll carry on, carrying on the pretending and all that. Very silly, but that's the way it is.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed 07 Jan 2015, 10:22 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I must admit, I don't see the point of signing up players who are already contracted, to a new contract. They're already in Wales, they'll be in Wales for the next few years (I assume he's on at least 2 year contract, but might be a year trial).  You want to sign up the guys that are leaving for more money.

Dodger's Contracts are a flash in the pan and they're going nowhere if you ask me. A proper and amicable working relationship is the way forward.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 09 Jan 2015, 10:19 am

Scott Williams has been offered one:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30736696

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 09 Jan 2015, 10:25 am

LordDowlais wrote:Scott Williams has been offered one:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/30736696

Scott said "I think it is the way forward, but I think they've got a little bit of work to do."

I wonder if he is on about the game time limit?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 09 Jan 2015, 10:34 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I wonder if he is on about the game time limit?

It must be, these kids just want to play.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next