The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd ducking Amir Khan and looking to screw PacMan over...again!

+18
Hammersmith harrier
Coxy001
88Chris05
hogey
superflyweight
ShahenshahG
catchweight
Seanusarrilius
kingraf
djlovesyou
Derbymanc
ONETWOFOREVER
milkyboy
Atila
Rowley
AdamT
Pedro147
TopHat24/7
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Floyd ducking Amir Khan and looking to screw PacMan over...again! - Page 2 Empty Floyd ducking Amir Khan and looking to screw PacMan over...again!

Post by Guest Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:44 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2877649/Floyd-Mayweather-says-ready-fight-Manny-Pacquiao-dismisses-Amir-Khan-talk.html

Basically Mayweather saying no-one's heard of Khan so the fight isn't viable and also suggestions that whilst Manny is wanting a 60/40 purse split, there's a possibility that Mayweather will demand an even bigger cut (thus putting an end to the fight as Arum runs away and cries in a corner).

Seems Floyd is happy to take on the "flavor of the month" fighter providing he's of "Hispanic" heritage (Guerrero, Ortiz, Alvarez and Maidana) to tap into the South American Market but not happy to take on a guy he was touting as a potential opponent last year.

Back to top Go down

Floyd ducking Amir Khan and looking to screw PacMan over...again! - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd ducking Amir Khan and looking to screw PacMan over...again!

Post by AdamT Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:07 am

Do agree about the risk free challenges recently from both guys

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Floyd ducking Amir Khan and looking to screw PacMan over...again! - Page 2 Empty Re: Floyd ducking Amir Khan and looking to screw PacMan over...again!

Post by Derbymanc Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:13 am

I don't have much time for either of them to be honest Adam, if it hadn't been for the stupid catchweights for titles, Soft picks for opponents and the apparent inability to try and sort out the fight of our generation then maybe i'd feel a bit differently.

It annoys me in more ways as I think that we've missed out on that 1 defining fight. No matter if it happens now it will always be said it wasn't in their prime etc etc.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:16 am

Derbymanc wrote:Nowt wrong in believing Milky, it's when your trying to force it on everyone else that it becomes an issue. Or when you use it as an excuse to be a Poopie kind of person.

A boxing forum is definitely the last place for it (although the off topic bit's okay Wink

To swing it back round a bit, It's okay to admire his boxing Adam but he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory with the Manny debacle (for the record, both are at fault.) he states at certain times he'll fight A or B, then changes his mind (up to him if he does, but don't expect everyone to be happy about it.)

Personally i'd have no problem with him retiring tomorrow and having his record ripped to shreds for years after. To me, there's a responsibility as the top sportsman/woman in your area to set some example to the up and comers. What Floyd (and Manny to a smaller extent) have done is shown that you can avoid the big fights and (kind of) cement your legacy. Think it's a bit of a disgrace to be honest.

Live and let live derby. People can believe what they want. I was just ripping onethree.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 am

Aye. It could have been the Leonard duran or ali frazier of our era.  Bastards the pair of em

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:27 am

Derby I see what you mean. I admire their skills but I hate this low risk approach

If I was good at something I would be doing my best to prove it. Too much money and yes men has ruined Floyd and maybe Manny to a degree.

The early part of Floyds career was exciting and full of challenges. I still think he has put on clinics against very good competition but I'm not a complete idiot. I know he could of been a bit more ambitious with his fight choices

Well here is hoping he and Manny can go out with a bang

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:33 am

No probs milky, we're still good Hug (gotta keep any potential future landlord sweet Wink and he does deserve it to be fair.

Fingers crossed Adam, maybe we'll end up with a rip roaring battle between them (if it happens.)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 am

Pity didn't happen 4 or 5 years ago. Oh well least boxing is looking healthy over here for the foreseeable future

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:18 am

Derbymanc wrote:No probs milky, we're still good Hug (gotta keep any potential future landlord sweet Wink and he does deserve it to be fair.

Fingers crossed Adam, maybe we'll end up with a rip roaring battle between them (if it happens.)

You haven't got a pot to p*ss in mate... Never get past my stringent referencing! Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Floyd still wants no part of Manny even after all the years of giving him the swerve, all the the excuses are starting to sound very lame now and only the most hardcore of Mayweathers fans are still try to defend him against his obvious fear of risking his undefeated record against the Pac man. I dont think he fancies the job and nor do his Uncle or Father, but he is running out of places to go for credible fights to justify his huge TV deal so may have to take the fight in the end. Lets be honest other than Manny the only other fighters he may take on would not generate the return in PPV numbers he and Showtime need.
I got no problem Floyd not fighting Khan for me he has still done little to deserve it since losing 2 on the bounce to Garcia and Peterson. I am not having that it is enough top beat Alexander a light punching perennial big fight failure who couldn't have tried less to win the fight, Collazo another man with limited power who Hatton beat 8 years ago, Diaz a veteran lightweight who dropped him and could easily have got the decision and Molina who was inexperienced and fighter well out of his weight division. He should fight a Bradley, Marquez, Mattysee or try to get a rematch Maidana or Garcia if he was to beat a couple of them then i would say he has earned it. Frankly he has only met one really top fighter in the 4 years since the Maidana fight and in that he got destroyed in 4 rounds.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Thing is Hogey, do you want to see Floyd fighting the guys who are on paper most deserving, or the guys who have more chance of actually giving him problems based on styles? Pacquiao is the clear and obvious candidate in both respects, of course, but he has been for about six years now and Mayweather has never fancied it, so let's assume he's going to stay true to form and we're going to have to make do with someone else!

By rights, after beating Judah you could say that Baldomir was more deserving of a fight with Floyd than Zab was (I know Mayweather fought Baldomir afterwards, but you get my drift and if he hadn't ever done then nobody would have cared, I suspect) but there's absolutely no way Baldomir could ever have given Mayweather the kind of problems that Judah did for a while, or make the fight interesting like Judah did.

If Mayweather is going to keep rolling out these excuses about why he can't / won't fight Pacquiao, then to be honest it leaves a pretty small and largely uninspiring pool of opponents to choose from. If he goes to 160 it'll be against a past-his-best Cotto who he's already beaten once and whose moniker of Middleweight champion is mostly down to good timing on his part, or the badly over the hill Taylor. At 154 absolutely nobody wants to see an Alvarez rematch, and while I think he should be taking on a Lara kind of fighter, let's be honest, Mayweather won't even entertain it. "No financial pull, not a name, blah blah blah."

Bradley's injuries are going to take a while to sort themselves out and he's not had a great year in 2014, Thurman would get dismissed for the same reasons as Lara, Brook's got nowt to beat him with and hasn't attracted big fanfare yet etc.

That basically leaves Khan or Garcia. On paper, Garcia deserves it more - he's unbeaten on the official record, is a unified title holder, has a decent fan base and has beaten (against the odds) Matthysse and, crucially, Khan himself. But it's hard to see what he could possibly do to beat Mayweather or even run him close. Khan starts as a firm underdog but at least his style and speed could cause Floyd issues and add some intrigue - it's been almost nine years since Judah, and that's the last time Floyd fought a real speedster in or around his prime. We've seen Mayweather fight an endless supply of flat-footed, come-forward guys with average speed in the last few years. About time we saw him in there with something a bit different and Khan fits that bill better than Garcia.

I can see both sides of the argument, don't get me wrong, but if Mayweather doesn't fight Pacquiao then out of the other realistic targets Khan is as good as any, I think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:39 pm

GGG at 154lb is the only fight I'd like to see Floyd in really.

Second to that Khan @147 , from and interest point of view, and then Garcia just cos I don't like the guy and would enjoy watching Floyd hand out an absolute masterclass.

Think it's too much to ask Floyd to go to 160, he started at 130 FFS! Just got to accept that there aren't any serious & reasonable challenges out there for him right now (other than GGG@154).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:48 pm

To be honest outside of Manny, the only fights involving Floyd that would peak my interest would be Thurman or Mattysee both due to them having the explosive power that could potentially take even Floyd out. I think only Bradley, Garcia and Brook could be considered worthy on merit as champions, but none of those would be fights worth watching. Khan is simply not at that level and no matter how many times he beats an Alexander, Collazo or Diaz i wont be convinced until he beat a proper top level Welterweight which wont happen because he will get starched. A fight with GGG might sound intriguing, but it would be a farce if it was at middleweight Floyd would be utterly destroyed by size, strength and power and if as i suspect GGG had to drop weight for it he would come in weak, drained, lacking in his normal power and would get his ears boxed off neither scenario would prove anything.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Aye Toppy, but speculating about Mayweather facing Golovkin at any weight is all hot air. It carries about as much weight as me speculating whether or not Forest are going to win the Champions League before this decade is out - just ain't happening. Let me stress as well, I don't blame Mayweather for that. My point was that, if he wants to add that 'Middleweight champion' string to his bow, he'll go for either Cotto or Taylor - and I don't care about either one of those fights.

I don't really think we should just accept that there aren't any chalenges for him and be happy with whatever he serves up. Lara and Andrade could very well be tough challenges, I think. The fact that they aren't household names or aren't PPV fighters doesn't change that and I don't think Mayweather should be immune to criticism for not facing those kind of guys purely on the back of those flimsy reasons. Mayweather would get a hell of a lot more respect from me if he'd have fought and beaten both of them in 2014 instead of two wins over Maidana.

But I'm a realist and I know that Mayweather would turn his nose up at those kind of fights, and that his words seem to unfortunately resonate with boxing fans who, as Jeff says, always seem to think they're business experts and accountants as well and turn a blind eye to that kind of stuff for the same reasons.

So sadly, as he's not going to fight Pacquiao, the only likely options are Garcia and Khan as far as I can see. And from a fan's point of view, I'd rather it be Khan.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Why bring GGG down though Toppie? It would just provide more excuses as to why Floyd walked a UD in the aftermath.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Because otherwise Mayweather would end up dead or crippled

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Coxy001 wrote:Why bring GGG down though Toppie? It would just provide more excuses as to why Floyd walked a UD in the aftermath.

GGG has previously said he felt comfortable coming down to 154lb, and at that weight Floyd has no excuses not to fight him (at the full weight) as Floyd is the title holder at the weight and won that title at the FULL 154lb limit.

If I were GGG, I would then just come in a couple of pounds over weight like Floyd did versus JMM.

Can't imagine 4lbs draining GGG too much.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:Why bring GGG down though Toppie? It would just provide more excuses as to why Floyd walked a UD in the aftermath.

GGG has previously said he felt comfortable coming down to 154lb, and at that weight Floyd has no excuses not to fight him (at the full weight) as Floyd is the title holder at the weight and won that title at the FULL 154lb limit.

If I were GGG, I would then just come in a couple of pounds over weight like Floyd did versus JMM.

Can't imagine 4lbs draining GGG too much.

To be fair DLH said he felt great at 147 and my left testicle could've beaten him up that night.

Floyd would never do it, and I wouldn't at all blame him either, but to go to MW and beat him there would make us all forget not fighting Paul Williams, Pacquiao etc. I've got more chance of scoring with Monica Belluci than Floyd even thinking about it, let alone getting in the ring to face him.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 pm

The fight wouldn't happen if GGG came in over weight Toppy so is a fairly stupid idea.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:The fight wouldn't happen if GGG came in over weight Toppy so is a fairly stupid idea.

Why not?

Just becomes poker, surely?

GGG's fine will be paltry, as Floyd's was when he ignored his catchweight for JMM, so the Mr Greedy will just have to decide whether he wants to give away $50m or giveaway 2lbs.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Doubt FMJ would put in a clause for just a few pennies, is likely to run in to the millions.

What does GGG rehydrate up to? Think it's pretty common knowledge Floyd enters the ring somewhere around 150-154lbs, hazard a guess but GGG would be nearer 170lbs or so? This isn't a Pacquiao vs punchbag (Margacheato) where weight didn't matter as GGG would be a 'live' oppo - not just live but has the potential to rip Floyd's head off his shoulders.

With that thought in mind - Floyd, sign the contract!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:10 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:GGG at 154lb is the only fight I'd like to see Floyd in really.

Second to that Khan @147 , from and interest point of view, and then Garcia just cos I don't like the guy and would enjoy watching Floyd hand out an absolute masterclass.

Think it's too much to ask Floyd to go to 160, he started at 130 FFS! Just got to accept that there aren't any serious & reasonable challenges out there for him right now (other than GGG@154).

I do agree with this to an extent Toppy but if he doesn't take on Pac then I think he should go for it. SRR jumped up from lightweight to middle so if Floyd continues to call himself TBE and not face his blindingly obvious natural foe, then I think he owes the fans to try and prove the statement. Personally I would say he should take on Pac, no matter how late in the day it might be, but all this talk of greatness just bores me.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:21 am

hogey wrote:Floyd still wants no part of Manny even after all the years of giving him the swerve, all the the excuses are starting to sound very lame now and only the most hardcore of Mayweathers fans are still try to defend him against his obvious fear of risking his undefeated record against the Pac man. I dont think he fancies the job and nor do his Uncle or Father, but he is running out of places to go for credible fights to justify his huge TV deal so may have to take the fight in the end. Lets be honest other than Manny the only other fighters he may take on would not generate the return in PPV numbers he and Showtime need.
I got no problem Floyd not fighting Khan for me he has still done little to deserve it since losing 2 on the bounce to Garcia and Peterson. I am not having that it is enough top beat Alexander a light punching perennial big fight failure who couldn't have tried less to win the fight, Collazo another man with limited power who Hatton beat 8 years ago, Diaz a veteran lightweight who dropped him and could easily have got the decision and Molina who was inexperienced and fighter well out of his weight division. He should fight a Bradley, Marquez, Mattysee or try to get a rematch Maidana or Garcia if he was to beat a couple of them then i would say he has earned it. Frankly he has only met one really top fighter in the 4 years since the Maidana fight and in that he got destroyed in 4 rounds.

The problem with this assessment is that sometimes an opponent is just so much better than you that it makes you look like you aren't trying. I think Canelo had a clear tool to utilise in the Mayweather fight and I moaned that he tried nothing else, however I don't think Alexander could have done anything at all to beat Khan. It was more Khan's to lose via the usual mistakes and slowing down. I think Alexander just knew he was being beaten by a guy that could do everything he did only much better and who held down a disciplined performance.

Fury is a decent example of this, I thought he was a bit chinny and careless and that Chisora would find a way through. I also thought Kingpin had lacked ambition when he fought Fury and Del would be far more game. I now find myself thinking that when Fury takes things seriously he can keep most short fighters at range all day long.

I agree that Khan's recent opposition probably flatter him a little though.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:13 am

DuransHorse wrote:
hogey wrote:Floyd still wants no part of Manny even after all the years of giving him the swerve, all the the excuses are starting to sound very lame now and only the most hardcore of Mayweathers fans are still try to defend him against his obvious fear of risking his undefeated record against the Pac man. I dont think he fancies the job and nor do his Uncle or Father, but he is running out of places to go for credible fights to justify his huge TV deal so may have to take the fight in the end. Lets be honest other than Manny the only other fighters he may take on would not generate the return in PPV numbers he and Showtime need.

The problem with this assessment is that sometimes an opponent is just so much better than you that it makes you look like you aren't trying.  I think Canelo had a clear tool to utilise in the Mayweather fight and I moaned that he tried nothing else, however I don't think Alexander could have done anything at all to beat Khan.  It was more Khan's to lose via the usual mistakes and slowing down.  I think Alexander just knew he was being beaten by a guy that could do everything he did only much better and who held down a disciplined performance.  

Fury is a decent example of this, I thought he was a bit chinny and careless and that Chisora would find a way through.  I also thought Kingpin had lacked ambition when he fought Fury and Del would be far more game.  I now find myself thinking that when Fury takes things seriously he can keep most short fighters at range all day long.  

I agree that Khan's recent opposition probably flatter him a little though.
As does Fury's

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:16 am

I don't think Floyd stands a shot against Golovkin. Nothing against Floyd, but Golovkin is just too big. As has been said, he rehydrates to a near cruiserweight. If Golovkin scores the success Maidana got in the first fight, or even the second, I don't think Floyd sees the final bell.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:34 am

I actually agree. Think Floyd is already punching above is weight as a light middle.

GGG is a monster and I believe the hype is justified

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:00 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:The fight wouldn't happen if GGG came in over weight Toppy so is a fairly stupid idea.

Why not?

GGG's fine will be paltry, as Floyd's was when he ignored his catchweight for JMM, so the Mr Greedy will just have to decide whether he wants to give away $50m or giveaway 2lbs.

The fine won't be paltry, Mayweather will make sure his fine is big enough to make sure it's an unavoidable deterrent and if it's for a title the governing bodies will also fine him. There's a difference between weighing within the official weight limit of the fight as Mayweather did and weighing above the weight limit as you're suggesting GGG should do.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:22 am

Its cool if Mayweather weighs in over the contracted weight. It was JMM fault for accepting the fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Why not?

The fine won't be paltry, Mayweather will make sure his fine is big enough to make sure it's an unavoidable deterrent and if it's for a title the governing bodies will also fine him. There's a difference between weighing within the official weight limit of the fight as Mayweather did and weighing above the weight limit as you're suggesting GGG should do.

Sorry HH, I know you're a big Mayweather fan, but you're reaching here. If Canelo came in at 154, would you have agreed that it was acceptable, as it was within the official limit?

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:11 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:More Floyd hate dear oh deary me.

Floyd is not ducking anyone. He has taken on the most dangerous Mexican in Canelo, he has consistently fought young hungry fighters like Ortiz and the Ghost. He destroyed them all.

He could have been forgiven if he opted for an easy nights work in his next fight but sought out one of the biggest punchers in boxing history in Maidana AND he opted to give him a rematch and still won, what more can Floyd do.

As for Khan please be honest NOBODY has heard of Khan. You have to understand that Floyd has to fill major massive arena's in America. Khan can't fill these venues his name does not carry enough weight. There is a lot of pressure on Floyd's shoulders and at this stage in his career he needs a big name to fight.

As for Pacman. Manny should take to pay cut Floyd is offering its a lot less then the $50 million he turned down last time.

You don't happen to be a sparring partner by any chance? Some proper head gear might be a good idea.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:53 pm

I personally wouldn't have minded if he came in at 154lbs, I hate catchweights especially for title fights. I don't think you should be fined either in Alvarez's situation and a non title fight is different so have no problems with fines there.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:00 pm

This story really has legs I think ....already excited at the thought of 2015 being full of "Manny/Floyd" articles. I only hope that Danny Williams fights Roy Jones and we will get a mouth -watering year for boxing.
Merry Christmas everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:38 am

I would like Floyd to retire.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2