The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warrior Promotions (who?) Wins DeGale v Dirrell purse bid.

+15
Herman Jaeger
wheelchair1991
tunes666
catchweight
Hammersmith harrier
Strongback
Scottrf
kingraf
Seanusarrilius
leedizzle1986
TRUSSMAN66
milkyboy
owen10ozzy
ShahenshahG
Soldier_Of_Fortune
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Warrior Promotions (who?) Wins DeGale v Dirrell purse bid. Empty Warrior Promotions (who?) Wins DeGale v Dirrell purse bid.

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 10 Mar 2015, 4:45 pm

Warriors Promotions $3.1 million

Matchroom bid $2.105

I think this deserves a........................................... picard

After all the noise Hearn was making about this being at the o2. Haymon definately has something to do with this but am sure Eddie can put his 'DeGale will be fighting for a life changing amount of money' spin on things.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Warrior Promotions (who?) Wins DeGale v Dirrell purse bid. Empty Re: Warrior Promotions (who?) Wins DeGale v Dirrell purse bid.

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

Lot of people outside of boxing circles are starting to purchase rights to promote fights...whats going on?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Warrior Promotions (who?) Wins DeGale v Dirrell purse bid. Empty Re: Warrior Promotions (who?) Wins DeGale v Dirrell purse bid.

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

Unless warrior promotions is froch Shocked

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:08 pm

Why the facepalm....?

Could it just be that Hearn doesn't see this as 3.1m worthy...

Regards putting it on at the O2 he would have to Arena costs etc on top of this amount, and that doesn't come cheap.

Whoever Warriors promotions are, it's safe to say they have been stiffed on this one; don't see them making much if anything off the back of the fight with that initial outlay.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:10 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Why the facepalm....?

Could it just be that Hearn doesn't see this as 3.1m worthy...

Regards putting it on at the O2 he would have to Arena costs etc on top of this amount, and that doesn't come cheap.

Whoever Warriors promotions are, it's safe to say they have been stiffed on this one; don't see them making much if anything off the back of the fight with that initial outlay.

Depends on the undercard

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:12 pm

http://www.warriorsboxing.com/about_us.html

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:52 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Warriors Promotions $3.1 million

Matchroom bid $2.105

I think this deserves a........................................... picard

After all the noise Hearn was making about this being at the o2. Haymon definately has something to do with this but am sure Eddie can put his 'DeGale will be fighting for a life changing amount of money' spin on things.

He should beat Dirrell home or away..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 5:53 pm

Warrior promotions is basically Al Haymon. As per Eddie Hearn on twitter.

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm

This was an important purse bid for Hearn to be on the right end of. I see it as a points fight and this being in the States makes Dirrell the favourite in my book.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:10 pm

$1.55 million for Chunky. Hopefully buys the rapper gets nicer bling now.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

$3.1m for someone who fights in supermarkets against someone who has gone missing from elite boxing because he can't hack fighting. Kidding me.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:31 pm

Eddie just isn't that rich.

He treats every fight as an opportunity to cash in. The man doesn't build careers with the exception of some young hopefuls he pays peanuts to.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:46 pm

Strongy, you actually think this fight is worth more than $2mil?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:52 pm

Give it a rest Strongback; painful to read..

I pray to god you never get your hands on a business, would run it into the ground within a week the way you hark on.

If it made business sense and was worth the outlay then he'd have put a bigger offer in.. simple economics. He is a boxing PROMOTER....his job is to PROMOTE his boxers...not manage them!

Joshua isn't being paid peanuts...can tell you that for nothing....Selby is earning far more than he ever has and his career is going just fine....given Brook is a World Champion..earnt a career high pay day last time out and is potentially a fight away from blockbuster summer showdown, seems his career is going ok...

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:52 pm

That is a blow for Degale. In a stinky, scrappy fight home advantage will be huge. I think Hearn dropped the ball on this one.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:53 pm

Can't see Degale winning this now, might make is close but think he is going to have to wait for that strap.... That being said its good promotion in the USA for him..

Dirrell is a lucky boy..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 10 Mar 2015, 6:55 pm

Wouldn't be surprise if chunky stopped him.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

on top of all that it means I got to bloody stay up till stupid o clock to watch it... Sad

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 7:13 pm

This is a blow to degale and hearn but i think degale can still win if he is on form

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:03 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if Haymon is happy to take a loss on this one.

Probably saw this as a symbolic victory and sets out his intentions to be número uno and another champion in his stable with whom he can carefully manage.

Big opportunity for DeGale but no business calling out the COBRA if he can't overcome what looks like on paper a massive disadvantage. We all know Dirrell's quite an operator against non-punchers.

Last edited by Herman Jaggery on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:07 pm

Just remembered this is southpaw on southpaw. Ugly.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:11 pm

Yep it will probebly be a stinker

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:59 pm

This is interesting, DeGale isn't even officially under Matchroom.

So this fight could actually end up on Boxnation.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:09 pm

Scottrf wrote:Just remembered this is southpaw on southpaw. Ugly.

"Two wrongs don't make a right. But two rights do make a wrong" I think Confucius said that... Or it might have been teddy atlas. I regularly confuse the two.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:21 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:This is interesting, DeGale isn't even officially under Matchroom.

So this fight could actually end up on Boxnation.

Fairly sure he's signed to Matchroom unless something has changed since the Gonzalez and Periban fights, he signed up to them officially before the big Wembley fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:47 pm

He is under matchroom but now Haymon has won the purse bids he owns the tv rights so he has the say on who shows the fight in the UK as the rights are his to sell

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:50 pm

Easy nights work for Andre Dirrell, I wonder if the Dirrell brothers would fight each other in a unification bout...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 10 Mar 2015, 10:53 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Give it a rest Strongback; painful to read..

I pray to god you never get your hands on a business, would run it into the ground within a week the way you hark on.

If it made business sense and was worth the outlay then he'd have put a bigger offer in.. simple economics. He is a boxing PROMOTER....his job is to PROMOTE his boxers...not manage them!

Joshua isn't being paid peanuts...can tell you that for nothing....Selby is earning far more than he ever has and his career is going just fine....given Brook is a World Champion..earnt a career high pay day last time out and is potentially a fight away from blockbuster summer showdown, seems his career is going ok...

What's painful to read is your sycophantic wa.nking over the Hearn's.

BTW I have successfully run my own business for 8 years and a big part of doing well is being able to spot the slimy, disingenuous tossers early on. 2015 is already a great year for me, I've done some audacious deals.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:03 pm

So i shall expect to see you ringside May 2nd in Vegas strongy with all your billions your bound to have a ringside seat....

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 10 Mar 2015, 11:54 pm

Strongback wrote:

BTW I have successfully run my own business for 8 years and a big part of doing well is being able to spot the slimy, disingenuous tossers early on.  2015 is already a great year for me, I've done some audacious deals.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes If you can't work out what somethings worth then your not much of a businessman.
If Big Ed would have bid a dollar more than Haymon you'd be saying how he doesn't know business as there's no way he's worth that.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 11 Mar 2015, 12:33 am

Derbymanc wrote:
Strongback wrote:

BTW I have successfully run my own business for 8 years and a big part of doing well is being able to spot the slimy, disingenuous tossers early on.  2015 is already a great year for me, I've done some audacious deals.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  If you can't work out what somethings worth then your not much of a businessman.
If Big Ed would have bid a dollar more than Haymon you'd be saying how he doesn't know business as there's no way he's worth that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie rang Haymon and said:

'look I need to make a bid to keep my boy happy, let just both bid but you'll win. I don't put big money into my fighters it's just not my model. I'll spin the kid some crap about life changing money and then sit back and take 25% for doing the square root of f. all.'

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 11 Mar 2015, 1:17 am

Strongback wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:
Strongback wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  If you can't work out what somethings worth then your not much of a businessman.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eddie rang Haymon and said:

'look I need to make a bid to keep my boy happy, let just both bid but you'll win. I don't put big money into my fighters it's just not my model.  I'll spin the kid some crap about life changing money and then  sit back and take 25% for doing the square root of f. all.'

Or Adam and Hero over some caviar served on rowleys moobs and champagne uncorked using Owen's bumhole decided to team up with Eddie and Al to F*ck with your head.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:02 am

Definitely sounds more likely Shah Wink

Eddie Hearn is THE man in Britain at the moment Strongy, more successful than you'll ever be, you won't be happy until you

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:21 am

Don't think there's too much need for doom and gloom. I think this is a tricky fight for both of them and was always going to be; Dirrell has a small advantage now, but for me it's not enough to turn the balance massively in his favour. Personally I don't think Degale's chances are massively damaged here and rather than automatically assume the worst I'd prefer to look at the examples of Brook, Calzaghe, Haye etc in terms of a Brit going to the other guy's back yard and getting a fair shake from the judges. If everyone got bunged down by the fact that one of the fighters in question has to travel there'd be precious few fights we wouldn't be moaning about.

To be fair to Matchroom, a bid in excess of $2 million is pretty generous for two guys fighting for a vacated belt, having never held a world title between them beforehand and having both lost (albeit both times on squeaky verdicts) to the best name on their ledger, I thought. $3.1 million is a lot to stump up in those circumstances, so win or lose it's a fantastic deal for Degale financially. It's a tough assignment regardless of location, but who knows, maybe he'll be rewarded for his travels with a world title and an extra quarter of a million quid that he wouldn't have had otherwise.

Fight has to happen by the first week of June now that the purse bids are settled. Looking forward to seeing if one of them can make good on that potential on the big stage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:22 am

Derbymanc wrote:Definitely sounds more likely Shah Wink

Eddie Hearn is THE man in Britain at the moment Strongy, more successful than you'll ever be, you won't be happy until you

Frank Warren would have spent a few quid to get DeGale home advantage. Eddie doesn't care.

Don't complain if Chunky gets a raw deal from the judges.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:26 am

Chris, what is the bid actually for?
Is it to pay the fighters AND to find somewhere to put on the show or is it just for the rights to the bout and they still have to find the money to pay the fighters, hire a hall etc?

@ Strongy

Can you give us the names of the fighters Eddie's paying peanuts too, and the proof. Might wanna follow it up.

As for Warren, doubt he would have as since it went to purse bids surely he could have bid on it???

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:35 am

In theory and traditionally, the purse bid should cover just what the fighters earn (and naturally the promoters take a chunk of that) I believe, Derbymanc. Have been curious about that myself in the past, but if everything's above board I'm pretty sure that is the case. Other costs are then the responsibility of the winning bidder to sort out before the fight.

As I say, that's in theory and nowt would surprise you. Will give Warrior Promotions the benefit of the doubt, though.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:38 am

That's what I thought but was thinking how if the 3mil just covers the fighters and promoters then I can't see it making that much money at all and might be Haymons way of saying 'yup, i can get whatever i want'.

Also does anyone know if it's like an auction type bidding process (Eddie offers a million, they go back to Warrior etc) Or if you get one chance to bid.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:48 am

owen10ozzy wrote:If it made business sense and was worth the outlay then he'd have put a bigger offer in.. simple economics. He is a boxing PROMOTER....his job is to PROMOTE his boxers...not manage them!

Well thats funny because Hearn didn't half get his knickers in a twist when Frampton was managed my McGuigan whilst being promoted by Matchroom Headscratch

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:51 am

But a row threatened to break out when Hearn claimed a potential conflict of interest with McGuigan was the reason for the split.
‘We have enjoyed our time working with Carl Frampton as promoter of his boxing career,’ he said. ‘However, after the success of the last Frampton fight we were informed by Barry McGuigan that he wanted to be joint promoter in future Frampton fights.
‘Whilst we had no problem whatsoever in agreeing purses for Carl Frampton, we felt that such a relationship with Barry McGuigan represented a potential conflict of interest with Barry’s role as Carl’s manager and we could therefore not agree to be involved on this basis.
‘Matchroom Sport and I wish Carl every success in his future boxing career.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2333353/Carl-Frampton-signs-Frank-Warren-Eddie-Hearn.html#ixzz3U4M1r3vz
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 11 Mar 2015, 9:58 am

Eddie has a bad habit of saying something when it suits him. One minute he will something along the lines of 'Why do they have to fight now? Let the fight build up'. Then in another interview regarding a different boxer he will say 'Lets strike while the iron is hot an make this fight'.

He contradicts himself more then Froch now...

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:00 am

Doesn't sound like he got his knickers in a twist though SOF, in fact from that sounds like it was Big Bazza's issue (although Barry denies it.)

Depends on the situation regarding when fighters fight though, Khan vs Brook could have been made a while back but is hotter now than it ever was, on the other hand Quigg Frampton should have been made a while back.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:08 am

Derbymanc wrote:Doesn't sound like he got his knickers in a twist though SOF, in fact from that sounds like it was Big Bazza's issue (although Barry denies it.)

No evidence the to imply its Barry's fault ether. Hearn seriously misjudged the Irish market thats for sure.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

Derbymanc wrote:That's what I thought but was thinking how if the 3mil just covers the fighters and promoters then I can't see it making that much money at all and might be Haymons way of saying 'yup, i can get whatever i want'.

Also does anyone know if it's like an auction type bidding process (Eddie offers a million, they go back to Warrior etc) Or if you get one chance to bid.
One bid each, I'm fairly sure. It's also net of taxes and they are responsible for minimal expenses of key staff basically for while the fight is on. As the title is vacant, they will split 50/50.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:32 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:If it made business sense and was worth the outlay then he'd have put a bigger offer in.. simple economics. He is a boxing PROMOTER....his job is to PROMOTE his boxers...not manage them!

Well thats funny because Hearn didn't half get his knickers in a twist when Frampton was managed my McGuigan whilst being promoted by Matchroom Headscratch
To be honest, the traditional manager/promoter roles seem blurred these days. There's a huge conflict of interest.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:34 am

Can think of any fighters under who also have managers?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:48 am

Even trainers seem to sometimes be managers eg adam booth and Joe Galagher

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:53 am

Cheers Scott, looks like a statement of intent for Warrior then (Unless they know something we don't)

Re Hearn, don't think he's too bothered by Frampton, there didn't seem to be (and I haven't heard) of any mud slinging at the time, nor to this day. We're just too used to seeing it when fighters leave other promoters (Oh and have Strongy to fill us in on the underpaid section too

Forgot to say Degales just been on SSN, seemed quite respectful and stated he hoped the fight would be live on Sky Sports.

Last edited by Derbymanc on Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:55 am

I'm surprised Strongy didn't bid 4 million for the fight........

I was looking forward to front row seats in the car park of his castle in Dublin..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed 11 Mar 2015, 10:57 am

Strongy has been too busy building his empire trussy

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next